Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,728 members, 7,824,061 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (630) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4414872 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (627) (628) (629) (630) (631) (632) (633) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 7:26pm On Feb 28, 2017
segzy14:

better send me my drink ooo via dhl, i am based in lagos now
please whatever it is between you and muyesky, please let it go.
Thank you.

I've not forgotten you, and anytime I'm in Lagos you will be the first to know. Thanks a lot for all your help. grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 7:32pm On Feb 28, 2017
segzy14:

better send me my drink ooo via dhl, i am based in lagos now
please whatever it is between you and muyesky, please let it go.
Thank you.

Regarding Muyesky he has promised to complete the job to the specification agreed, so I am going to give him the benefit of doubt, he has also apologised. So I will let you all know once it's all done. Thanks once again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 7:33pm On Feb 28, 2017
marylandcakes:

I've not forgotten you, and anytime I'm in Lagos you will be the first to know. Thanks a lot for all your help. grin grin
What about me! Ehnn na so you wan do abi, ok make we sidon look.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 7:34pm On Feb 28, 2017
back2sender:

What about me! Ehnn na so you wan do abi, ok make we sidon look.

grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:35pm On Feb 28, 2017
marylandcakes:

My Sister, we plenty o. You go buy non-Alcoholic Ogogoro tired o. smiley Abi, @Back2sender?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 7:42pm On Feb 28, 2017
mufutau55:

My Sister, we plenty o. You go buy non-Alcoholic Ogogoro tired o. smiley Abi, @Back2sender?

Hajji M.

No problem Sir. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 9:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:
How much do you guys estimate that it should cost to roof this 10x14 foot structure?

Bros
I thought you going for wooden structure for the gate house ?
Non availablity of materials ?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abunafiu(m): 9:44pm On Feb 28, 2017
mufutau55:

I have a gated Generator Room built. Can that also be used to harbor the batteries and all other gadget or not recommended? Thx.

Hajji M.
Oh I'm sorry. I just observed the question mark.
Yes the gen house can be used.
But we prefer to install somewhere very close to the house and panels to reduce the cost of wires and eliminate power loss due to distance as much as possible.
Again, batteries Release explosive gasses during charging.
So the gen house can be partitioned to reduce this risk.

In my own case, I designed a 14X5ft room which will be my power room/workshop/study and is well ventilated.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:56pm On Feb 28, 2017
abunafiu:

Oh I'm sorry. I just observed the question mark.
Yes the gen house can be used.
But we prefer to install somewhere very close to the house and panels to reduce the cost of wires and eliminate power loss due to distance as much as possible.
Again, batteries Release explosive gasses during charging.
So the gen house can be partitioned to reduce this risk.

In my own case, I designed a 14X5ft room which will be my power room/workshop/study and is well ventilated.

OK Thanks. But too late for me to design anything now. I think when the time comes, we can find a work-around to it. Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:46pm On Feb 28, 2017
kolnel:

Bros
I thought you going for wooden structure for the gate house ?
Non availablity of materials ?

Nigeria has a way of slapping me into her reality.

After three days roaming around lumber yards I couldn't find arrow straight structural timbers so I gave up.

But I tried.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 11:06pm On Feb 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

After three days roaming around lumber yards I couldn't find arrow straight structural timbers so I gave up.

But I tried.

Definitely
Just last week I saw whole lots of lumbers at Home Depot
So funny how things are back at home

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:09pm On Feb 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

But I tried.

grin grin For your roof Sir? can you get them to trim it on their machine if the quantity is not much?

I just sigh when I see quality of everything reducing in this country. Standards are not being monitored as all dealers are allowed to sell anything they like irrespective of the implications to the building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2017
kolnel:

Definitely
Just last week I saw whole lots of lumbers at Home Depot
So funny how things are back at home

I wonder if someone starts to cut these wood well and package it properly if it will not sell well? There's so many good business people are not doing in this country. Someone can buy rough wood and plain it with machines till it becomes as good as those found outside the country and then sell them to those who knows the worth.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 01, 2017
spyder880:

grin grin For your roof Sir? can you get them to trim it on their machine if the quantity is not much?

I just sigh when I see quality of everything reducing in this country. Standards are not being monitored as all dealers are allowed to sell anything they like irrespective of the implications to the building.

I wanted 2x4, 2x6 and 2x12 to actually build the whole structure.

There was no saw there that had a fine blade or a safety guard.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:06am On Mar 01, 2017
spyder880:

I wonder if someone starts to cut these wood well and package it properly if it will not sell well? There's so many good business people are not doing in this country. Someone can buy rough wood and plain it with machines till it becomes as good as those found outside the country and then sell them to those who knows the worth.

I plan on doing just that but on a small scale.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:31am On Mar 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

So I originally bought 6 well rings from my regular block supplier who knows my standards and he actually made them onsite, spank brand new.

I ordered 5 from another supplier (I do this often to share the income in the neighborhood). Would you believe that this turkey brought pre-used well rings to my site? Pre-used as in it was installed before and removed.

I didn't say anything because it wasn't spelled out that I was buying new or used rings. I didn't think that I had to do that but now I know better grin

the amount of double or triple checking you have to do with nigerians is out of this world

and it is not limited to artisans

it goes all the way to your lexus driving contractors

if you are trying to be objective you start trying to figure out exactly how far up the chain the fraud is

is the oga in on it? or was it the manager? or the procurement guy?
or the vendor? or the vendors boy?

years back we ordered cable for our office data centre
we were upgrading it. i had calculated the size of cable as 95mm
it was a cross function job - i [electrical] and facilities guys oversaw the work
cable was installed. we inspected and signed off.

two weeks later, there complaints of electrical issues. i found the cable we supplied was warm [ cable gets warm if it is carry current beyond its rating]

i could not understand as the measured current was within range. in the end we replaced the cable wih 120mm cable. this was by a different contractor. during the replacement teh contractor showed me that the cable being replaced was 70mm sq. someone had scraped of the lable and stamped 95mm on it.

in hindsight i ask myself how many people were involved.
did the facilities guy who was also on the project connive with the first contractor to supply an undersized cable?
did the contractor buy the undersized cable
was it the contractor's boy who he sent to market?
or was it an unscrupulous supplier?

we have a real problem with respect to fraudulent business practices.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:53am On Mar 01, 2017
skimanski:

Oga Spider, How much this Tall one go cost for East? I get quote from My welder. I wan know weda em dey use my head!!! because em dey higher than the one wey we do for Lagos.

It might be higher in the east, as at last year, I did this single tall one for N380K
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:55am On Mar 01, 2017
Now for the concrete version, in the same compound where a metal stanchion is also standing.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:14pm On Mar 01, 2017
marylandcakes:

grin grin
Me sef dey here Oooh,I sit behind my Oga at the top Hajji .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:33pm On Mar 01, 2017
spyder880:

Well, most of us look beyond the mechanization of the output we seek.
For you to have a straight dry wood you need to treat the wood and this can only be done a a KIN dryer, now this need massive energy(Electric)
Then you need a multiple edger with carbide blades.
when I was much younger i was opportune to work with them machines.
But in the present climate to invest in such things is way up the roof.last year I broke down the process of manufacturing toothpick and how much it cost to few of my friends and they where like wow ordinary toothpick, cos with N20m, you cant even start so when do one brake even.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:51pm On Mar 01, 2017
marylandcakes:

Regarding Muyesky he has promised to complete the job to the specification agreed, so I am going to give him the benefit of doubt, he has also apologised. So I will let you all know once it's all done. Thanks once again.
way to settle issue before escalating quickly

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 2:51pm On Mar 01, 2017
spyder880:

Am sure you might not like the crude technology they are made from, old methods of doing work necessitated by the Nigerian condition.......

Much appreciation for this. smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 2:54pm On Mar 01, 2017
This thread has been busy. grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 7:13pm On Mar 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:
How much do you guys estimate that it should cost to roof this 10x14 foot structure?

One kobo sir -lol!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gbenke: 8:14pm On Mar 01, 2017
Gentlemen in the house can you please give me a quote on the probably cost to deck a small building of 18 x 36.ft in Ikorodu.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 8:36pm On Mar 01, 2017
erico2k2:

Me sef dey here Oooh,I sit behind my Oga at the top Hajji .

No problem grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 11:26pm On Mar 01, 2017
Tell me about it. I made a set of curtains for a 3 bed apartment.

The initial quote I got came in at about 35k per window. Went to the market and spent amount for 2 windows on 9 windows but those ones then never gave the correct measurements paid for.

9ja we hail thee. All this people dey church and mosque every Sunday oh. grin

3strikes:

"Trust is very expensive.dont expect it from cheap people". Warren B.

With that being said, Naija is not a place to expect trust. You blink in naija, they will play a smart one on you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 12:08am On Mar 02, 2017
Its very hard to be truthful as a Nigerian in Nigeria. Every few ones left are pressured by their peers to join the club of dishonorable. I have a person i worked with since 2001 and supported him all the way till 2015 when i sadly had to fire his A**. He is my favorite cousin and i still help him despite his shortcoming till this very day.

He went the rogue way out of pressure from people he was surrounded with. I funded a business worth 10M with him and never ask him how or what he does. He was doing everything with integrity till he started to feel inferior because he was acting like the owner of the business and people thought he owner it for a long time. But a day came, he fought with his best friend. Of coarse, his friend exposed him to public that i was the owner of the business. Guess what, after that, he started to act up and started to demand to own the business for himself. I laugh so hard that day, i almost die.

The business was his business all along, i was just helping him to be profitable by funding and supporting him with knowledge and connections that i have. In return, i get whatever he has in the bank for me whenever am on vacation. Anyways, i gave him the business and hands off.

Guess what? the business died a horrible death within two months after i stop supporting it. PEER PRESSURE SPOIL GOOD NIGERIAN TOO AND OF COARSE GREED IS A MAJOR FACTOR TOO. Well, i still sent my cousin #50k to pay his children's school fee in January. I praying for him to have a change of heart for his own sake.

mavverick:
I think one of the issues is that most people want to take on every work irrespective of whether its financially viable or not, and when they run into problems excuses start. I will respect an artisan if they said to me that sorry i cannot take on this work because of X Y Z, not to take it on and then start with stories afterwards.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 12:37am On Mar 02, 2017
I was thinking that read also. Its very funny that the story broke right after it.

3strikes:
Just 8 days ago I wrote this........not knowing the chickens are still coming home to roast. grin grin grin grin grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:11am On Mar 02, 2017
3strikes:
Just 8 days ago I wrote this........not knowing the chickens are still coming home to roast. grin grin grin grin grin

You are jinxing this thread sir. smiley
How do we appease you?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by assmokson: 3:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Cost For 1 Story Building 3bedrooms By 4flats 2 Down 2 Up In Badagry, Lagos

Greetings to all pros in property and niaralanders,

I am about to commence a project of building a 4 units, 3 bedrooms flat with 2 flats down and 2 flats upstairs. I am newbie in this type of work however I am seeking the knowledge of the pros to please help me out in breaking down the price according to the segments listed below:

1.Fencing: Like to know the list of materials and cost plus labour charges to complete the fencing to 12 coaches.

2. Cost for the foundation: I will like to know the list of materials and costs that will be needed to complete the foundation.

3. Soak -away: I will like to know what are the materials needed for the soak-away and labour charges to complete the soak-away.

4. Cost from foundation level to decking level: Like to know likely materials and costs that will take the building from foundation level to decking level. Please note this is not include cost for decking.

5. Cost for Decking: I Will like to know the materials & costs plus labour charges for decking only.

6. Cost for construction from decking level to roofing level: I will like to know what are the materials and costs require to get the building to roofing level.

7. Roofing: In this stage I will appreciate if pros can recommend good and reliable roofing types that are value for money and cost effective since I understand the materials and costing will depend on the type of roofing I want to use. I will appreciate if the materials can be listed together with the costing just like the 4 previous stages.

The land is located in Badagry, it is a dry land but since Badagry is consider to be a beach area it is said that the foundation will require raft foundation. Pls do take note of this when you are sending me the quota.

Please note I expect all costing to include labour charges and hiding costs that are likely to show up as the project progresses. I will appreciate if all materials and cost can be properly details for better understand.

I will so much appreciate everyone contribution on this thread as I really want to prepare myself before going into this project. i wouldn't want to jump start a project I will not be able to complete however I seek your knowledge and guidance before commence this project.

I may even accept quotation from a very good person that offer reasonable prices and high intelligence in building 4 flats around Badagry area and involve the person in the project. You have a great chances to involve in the project so please send good and reasonable quotations that shows you really have full knowledge on construction of this type of building. .

I have share some of the building plans with this thread i did hope that can be helpful when calculating the cost of all materials that will be needed for the project. I will not tolerate any kind of unruly and ungodly person, if you know you are not genuine pls do not send any quotation but if you are trust worthy and straight forward person you can send your quotation since you have chance of wining the project.

I want all discussion to be public so no email as i want all nairalanders to participate in this thread. All quotations should be sent here for general public to see so that we can all have an healthy debate about it and I promise the right person will be given the project to lead.

All your contributions and guidance will surely be highly appreciated. I will await everyone contributions and I am pretty sure I will not be disappointed based on all valuable information I have acquired in Nairaland at the past. I want response as soon as possible as I plan to start the project before raining started.

Thanks and God bless, may God continue to replenish your knowledges in millions folds.

Thanks to everyone that offer to contributes to this thread in advance.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 4:44am On Mar 02, 2017
Gbenke:
Gentlemen in the house can you please give me a quote on the probably cost to deck a small building of 18 x 36.ft in Ikorodu.

Are you asking for labour or materials?

For materials, you can estimate this yourself roughly.

1. Get the length, breadth and depth of your decking.
2. Based on your concrete mix ratio (e.g 1:2:4), calculate the volume of each required material. I think there's a factor to be applied as well.
3. Based on the volume of each material obtained above, calculate the number of bags or tippers of sand and granite required.
4. Remember to put in some significant contingency for losses/ shrinkage.

C'est Fini!

Get a caster with his own concrete mixer to come give an estimate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (627) (628) (629) (630) (631) (632) (633) ... (3671) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.