Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (780) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4394992 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 4:28pm On Sep 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I believe that this is what's happening to TwinsKenny.

Either the seller is an ordinary shyster, and they abound in the landscape, or he himself is taken by another shyster distributor if he doesn't collect direct from the factory.
lol....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I believe that this is what's happening to TwinsKenny.

Either the seller is an ordinary shyster, and they abound in the landscape, or he himself is taken by another shyster distributor if he doesn't collect direct from the factory.

They said we should patRonize distRibutor because is cheaper.. the same distributor now begin to mix fake and original which way naija
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2017
twinskenny:

They said we should patRonize distRibutor because is cheaper.. the same distributor now begin to mix fake and original which way naija
lol...may God save us
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2017
twinskenny:

But you can still pick up from factory?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 4:44pm On Sep 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

But you can still pick up from factory?
Exactly!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
twinskenny:
The good engineer

Interesting.

I have seen tires used to build an earth filled retaining wall but never a foundation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 5:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
I want to vex alittle about Our people in Nigeria. I started this trucking business to empower my cousins that are jobless.

After two years of smooth operation, they decide they want to be the boss. I didn't bother myself, i went into arrangement for them to pay me savage on my truck and go their merry way.

We reach agreement on amount and it took them a year latter to pay 1/10th of the agreed price.

Now its been three year. There is a demolition in my area and i needed rubble for road grade. I have to get another truck on hire to done the job.

What hurt me most is that when i got a pic from my site manager from the supply site, guess what i saw loading ? My Own Very Truck working for other people!!! And me the owner has to hire outside truck to do my work.

This helping people is getting tiring for me oooo

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
true2home:
I want to vex alittle about Our people in Nigeria. I started this trucking business to empower my cousins that are jobless.

After two years of smooth operation, they decide they want to be the boss. I didn't bother myself, i went into arrangement for them to pay me savage on my truck and go their merry way.

We reach agreement on amount and it took them a year latter to pay 1/10th of the agreed price.

Now its been three year. There is a demolition in my area and i needed rubble for road grade. I have to get another truck on hire to done the job.

What hurt me most is that when i got a pic from my site manager from the supply site, guess what i saw loading ? My Own Very Truck working for other people!!! And me the owner has to hire outside truck to do my work.

This helping people is getting tiring for me oooo

I simply will not engage in any commerce with anybody on the ground unless I'm there to see it.

Even people that are on the ground are still finding issue.

I've learned to say an emphatical NO to folks.

By the way, please give me the details about that truck I need to get one.

Make Model Tonnage

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2017
That's a rear one to find here. Its a 1996 Mack Midliner 10Ton dump. Its was made when Mack merge with Renault in the 80's. The body is Mack and the Engine is Renault.

EgunMogaji:

I simply will not engage in any commerce with anybody on the ground unless I'm there to see it.

Even people that are on the ground are still finding issue.

I've learned to say an emphatical NO to folks.

By the way, please give me the details about that truck I need to get one.

Make Model Tonnage

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 22, 2017
true2home:
That's a rear one to find here. Its a 1996 Mack Midliner 10Ton dump. Its was made when Mack merge with Renault in the 80's. The body is Mack and the Engine is Renault.

Okay, thanks.

I'm limiting to a 10 ton.

I want to get from Europe to save shipping (not touching Naija used with a ten-foot pole), is it form Europe?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bfire(m): 10:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Okay, thanks.

I'm limiting to a 10 ton.

I want to get from Europe to save shipping (not touching Naija used with a ten-foot pole), is it form Europe?

You will be surprised that the costs of shipping from Europe and US
is the same thing. It may costs you more sometimes to ship from
Europe

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 23, 2017
temi4fash:

Well, Am just hearing these for the first time..

Can you clarify the reason for these.

Thanks

two wires/cables are connected to an air conditioner. the cable from the distribution board to the connection point, and teh cable between the indoor and outdoor unit

the cable to the connection pt can be solid or stranded or flex core, but the cable between the indoor and outdoor unit is typically flex core. this is because the cable is typically run along alongside the copper refrigerant piping and insulation and may go through bends and turn before it gets to the outdoor unit. the more you bend a solid core cable the more points of stress you introduce along the conductor, which are potential areas for overheating in future. this is my perception as to why flex cable is used. of course, you can decide to run your own dedicated conduit for termination of indoor and outdoor unit, in which case you will not need a flex core.

maybe i should consider doing that. . .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by signature2012(m): 5:54pm On Sep 23, 2017
Hello gurus in the house.kindly help me go through this quotation,is for a friend here in US.He feels the electrician who is also same as the plumber wants to cheat him.
The building is 3 bedroom ,3 bathroom and 1 living room.

Cc twinskenny
EgunMogaji
Timtol
Mufutau55
Daboomb
Oyb
InvertedHammer and others who have knowledge about this,thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 23, 2017
signature2012:
Hello gurus in the house.kindly help me go through this quotation,is for a friend here in US.He feels the electrician who is also same as the plumber wants to cheat him.

Cc twinskenny
EgunMogaji
Timtol
Mufutau55
Daboomb
Oyb

Not sure about the cables, but the switches, sockets etal are underpriced. The guy is giving your friend the cheapest lowest grade there is. An copper earth rod is between 7500 to 10000 today.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by signature2012(m): 6:43pm On Sep 23, 2017
oyb:

Not sure about the cables, but the switches, sockets etal are underpriced. The guy is giving your friend the cheapest lowest grade there is. An copper earth rod is between 7500 to 10000 today.

Thank you so much.As for the cables,he said purchem,don't know if I get the spelling right.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 23, 2017
signature2012:

Thank you so much.As for the cables,he said purchem,don't know if I get the spelling right.

Let the guy order his fittings on Amazon UK. UK because Americans use different specs and ship down to naija. Mk, Eaton, abb,, legrand.

There is also irrelevant stuff in that quote. 8 antenna points? At most two for dstv. What you need in a modern house is hdmi and data outlets.

Also, using sockets for acs went out years ago. If you have your friends layout drawing, post it here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 6:56pm On Sep 23, 2017
Barryton:
Greetings house
Just discovered my tiler did a very rough job in my new build
Haven't been around
The tiles look so rough with cement & sand stains. I have scrubbed the floor, but the stains are still very visible. I want to enquire if there is a chemical or special detergent i can use to remove the stains. I will really appreciate your input.

Cc write2boi, rotech77 & the house
Thanks.
Yes there are lots of tile cleaning chamicals in the market.
Edited
This has been attended to.
Seems My mentions are no longer working. My mokiner is all over the place , but i'm not been alerted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:00pm On Sep 23, 2017
Both the quotations are very more than ok, all he quoted for are regular materials high grade materials are more costly than this.
The antenna socket might be a mistake bcs it's over quoted( the quantities)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:05pm On Sep 23, 2017
signature2012:

Cc twinskenny
EgunMogaji
Timtol
Mufutau55
Daboomb
Oyb

the quote for the electrical is perfect sir.. those fittings and cable prices are okay.. i believe he is buying average fittings though.. that are some well known name fittings that are quite expensive that those (ABB, SCHNEIDER, LEGRAND)

The labour is fine too

but i dont know why he is 1mm insteal of 1.5mm for lightings though
thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:08pm On Sep 23, 2017
oyb:

Let the guy order his fittings on Amazon UK. UK because Americans use different specs and ship down to naija. Mk, Eaton, abb,, legrand.

There is also irrelevant stuff in that quote. 8 antenna points? At most two for dstv. What you need in a modern house is hdmi and data outlets.

Also, using sockets for acs went out years ago. If you have your friends layout drawing, post it here.

boss
one of my clients ordered fittings (switches and sockets from UK and regretted it.. ) at the end of the day we end up buying another types from here (legrand & ABB)

first of some them dont fit in to our pa-tress after few weeks they begin to get damage.. maybe they are low quality one though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by signature2012(m): 7:11pm On Sep 23, 2017
oyb:

twinskenny:

the quote for the electrical is perfect sir.. those fittings and cable prices are okay.. i believe he is buying average fittings though.. that are some well known name fittings that are quite expensive that those (ABB, SCHNEIDER, LEGRAND)

The labour is fine too

thanks

rotecch77:
Both the quotations are very more than ok, all he quoted for are regular materials high grade materials are more costly than this.
The antenna socket might be a mistake bcs it's over quoted( the quantities)

Thank you so much sirs.Will show him your comments as to do the needful.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 23, 2017
signature2012:

Thank you so much sirs.Will show him your comments as to do the needful.

i was on the road

i am home now and in front of my pc

i am sorry, but i am going to disagree with most of what is posted.

this is based on a simple premise - your guy is an americana and can afford to get it right the first time.

first off, as i noted earlier, the prices for most of those fitings are the prices you get when you walk into any " and sons shop" without stating that you want original.

i ould strongly suggest you engage a contractor of sorts. everything in the electrican's quote screams 1970 [ stablock, ac socket, cutout]

an original mem/abb 13a socket is in the range of N800 to 900
an original earth rod is in the range of 5000 to 7500

a gen changeover can NEVER be N2000. not possible - and he has not even given a size [ i would start from 32A]

most of those items will fail within two to three months of use. if you are unlucky, they can cause a fire. that is my professional opinion. no need to 'manage' if you can afford not to.

the proposal is also very poorly done

this is what it is - you can break you electrical down

lighting [indoor and outdoor] - i did not see that there - unless it is the 'half moon' he is referring to. an led or compact florescent bulb starts from n800 [osram, GE , philips]. and that is does not include the fittings

power distribution [raw] - your distboard, socket outlets, connection for AC]
power dist [ups] ditto, but connected to your inverter / solar power installation
LAN [you guy will buy smart tvs etal, and your isp may be iffy] so you want to set up a lan taht your desktop modem will feed into [or you can get those powerline devices]
security [ at the very least, panic buttons a siren and flashing beacon light]
you can also go for cctv and intrusion detection.
fire alarm [stand alone smoke detectors]
TV [ points for coax cale from dstc, ditto for hdmi cable ]
if your guy is the music aficionado, wired speakers in the ceiling
mains supply - nepa /generator/ inverter incomers
i would go as far as to advise you to get a 30kva transformer, esp if you are in an urban area. transformers in most urban areas are always overloaded, which is wy you get stuff like low current. you may also have some neighbours doing industrial stuff in their places, whic will lead to voltage dips. you can avoid all this by buying your own dedicated transformer

please note i am laying all this out because i believe your friend working in the US will be exposed and have expectations about what should be in his house. he also will have resources to get this done. if you can afford it, spend money and get it right the first time

as to cables - nigerchin, kabelmetal, nocaco
1.5 mm for ligt
2.5mm for ring circuits
4.0 for ac

with regards to plumbing, first off, you can either check the people egunmogaji posted or sweet home or twyford.
the guy is putting water heater, but no copper pipe
you can either buy pvc pipe for cold water, or composite pipe
you also need to run copper pipe for you gas cooker
i would suggest you include floor drains in the kitchen and restrooms

the cost is not much, but the quality you will get will not be it IMHO.

please post a drawing of your friends place

the important thing is to think everything out in the beginning, rather than continuous breaking and readjusting afterwards.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 7:55pm On Sep 23, 2017
oyb:

two wires/cables are connected to an air conditioner. the cable from the distribution board to the connection point, and teh cable between the indoor and outdoor unit

the cable to the connection pt can be solid or stranded or flex core, but the cable between the indoor and outdoor unit is typically flex core. this is because the cable is typically run along alongside the copper refrigerant piping and insulation and may go through bends and turn before it gets to the outdoor unit. the more you bend a solid core cable the more points of stress you introduce along the conductor, which are potential areas for overheating in future. this is my perception as to why flex cable is used. of course, you can decide to run your own dedicated conduit for termination of indoor and outdoor unit, in which case you will not need a flex core.

maybe i should consider doing that. . .

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 23, 2017
twinskenny:

boss
one of my clients ordered fittings (switches and sockets from UK and regretted it.. ) at the end of the day we end up buying another types from here (legrand & ABB)

first of some them dont fit in to our pa-tress after few weeks they begin to get damage.. maybe they are low quality one though.

strange.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddiy&field-keywords=socket+outlet

thats a link to amazon uk socket outlets

we use british standards - which is why i said amazon uk. its the same catalogs one uses to order
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2017
signature2012:

Cc twinskenny
EgunMogaji
Timtol
Mufutau55
Daboomb
Oyb

The way I've been saving money, I think, is by separating the materials from the labor.

Either I go buy the materials myself or I send someone that I trust, I think, to go and buy it.

I then offer what I feel is appropriate labor charge, I also instruct my MaiGuard not to let any material leave the site without my explicit permission (I have a lot of extra plumbing and electrical supplies left over in storage grin ).

So short of the story, I do not know the price of current materials and I depend on my locally trusted person for labor pricing.

Good luck on the project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 23, 2017
oyb:

with regards to plumbing, first off, you can either check the people egunmogaji posted or sweet home or twyford.

Signature2012, please make sure that you send this to your friend http://www.cdkindustriesng.com so that he can see what he can get in the local market.

This is a local manufacturer in Ogun state.

This is the bathroom in my guest house, sorry for the picture quality.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 8:16pm On Sep 23, 2017
signature2012:

Cc twinskenny
EgunMogaji
Timtol
Mufutau55
Daboomb
Oyb
/
Buy the materials and negotiate for labour.
He needs strict supervision because a lot of the materials may grow legs.
Two things are possible here:
1. He under quoted the materials to secure the job and along the line he will start demanding for more.
2. He overquoted the materials to accommodate those that will change to bird and fly away.

NB This is the stage owners have most problem with contractors because unlike blocks the materials at this stage cannot be counted or verified.
/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 8:19pm On Sep 23, 2017
I have a question for anyone with experience in building. For outside crack wall tiles, is the Spanish ones that much superior to Chinese to warrant more than N1000 per sqm. Have any one used Nigeria or China outside crack wall previously? What is the outcome? Did it change color? Was there Algae growth on it? I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:44pm On Sep 23, 2017
twinskenny:

The labour is fine too

thanks

It's safe to use 1mm for lightings if you're going to use LEDs. Nigerchin works fine for me so far.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:59pm On Sep 23, 2017
oyb:

i was on the road

this is based on a simple premise - your guy is an americana and can afford to get it right the first time.

first off, as i noted earlier, the prices for most of those fitings are the prices you get when you walk into any " and sons shop" without stating that you want original.

i ould strongly suggest you engage a contractor of sorts. everything in the electrican's quote screams 1970 [ stablock, ac socket, cutout]

a gen changeover can NEVER be N2000. not possible - and he has not even given a size [ i would start from 32A]

most of those items will fail within two to three months of use. if you are unlucky, they can cause a fire. that is my professional opinion. no need to 'manage' if you can afford not to.

lighting [indoor and outdoor] - i did not see that there - unless it is the 'half moon' he is referring to. an led or compact florescent bulb starts from n800 [osram, GE , philips]. and that is does not include the fittings

power dist [ups] ditto, but connected to your inverter / solar power installation
LAN [you guy will buy smart tvs etal, and your isp may be iffy] so you want to set up a lan taht your desktop modem will feed into [or you can get those powerline devices]
i would go as far as to advise you to get a 30kva transformer, esp if you are in an urban area. transformers in most urban areas are always overloaded, which is wy you get stuff like low current. you may also have some neighbours doing industrial stuff in their places, whic will lead to voltage dips. you can avoid all this by buying your own dedicated transformer

please note i am laying all this out because i believe your friend working in the US will be exposed and have expectations about what should be in his house. he also will have resources to get this done. if you can afford it, spend money and get it right the first time

1.5 mm for ligt
2.5mm for ring circuits
4.0 for ac

the important thing is to think everything out in the beginning, rather than continuous breaking and readjusting afterwards.

Maybe the electrician made a mistake putting quotes for 1970 materials,etc,etc.
I think the guy whose friend is an Americana should be able to have an influence as to the quality of electrical materials used,etc,etc.

He should be the one to communicate with his friend at this stage even before getting the services of any electrician for quotes of any nature.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by signature2012(m): 9:02pm On Sep 23, 2017
oyb:

i was on the road

1.5 mm for ligt
2.5mm for ring circuits
4.0 for ac

You really broke it down in pieces with this your explainantion,thank you so much.
InvertedHammer:

/
Buy the materials and negotiate for labour.
He needs strict supervision because a lot of the materials may grow legs.
Two things are possible here:
1. He under quoted the materials to secure the job and along the line he will start demanding for more.
2. He overquoted the materials to accommodate those that will change to bird and fly away.

NB This is the stage owners have most problem with contractors because unlike blocks the materials at this stage cannot be counted or verified.
/

This would have been the best option,but no one on ground to do it for him.
EgunMogaji:

The way I've been saving money, I think, is by separating the materials from the labor.

Either I go buy the materials myself or I send someone that I trust, I think, to go and buy it.

I then offer what I feel is appropriate labor charge, I also instruct my MaiGuard not to let any material leave the site without my explicit permission (I have a lot of extra plumbing and electrical supplies left over in storage grin ).

So short of the story, I do not know the price of current materials and I depend on my locally trusted person for labor pricing.

Good luck on the project.

Thanks so much for your contribution sir.Please what was the cost of the toilet sit you posted when you got it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2017
bixton:

Maybe the electrician made a mistake putting quotes for 1970 materials,etc,etc.
I think the guy whose friend is an Americana should be able to have an influence as to the quality of electrical materials used,etc,etc.

He should be the one to communicate with his friend at this stage even before getting the services of any electrician for quotes of any nature.

imho, the electrician is your average naija technician - learned by rote, never upgraded, dismissive of new technology, has 'years of experience'.
when someone is talking about running coax [antenna] cable everywhere in 2017 lipsrsealed

this is why i keep asking for the drawing. most people i know who have money or who are based abroad want as much replication of western creature comforts as possible. some even want technology that i am not certain will work here seamlessly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (777) (778) (779) (780) (781) (782) (783) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: collab and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.