Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (809) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391826 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (806) (807) (808) (809) (810) (811) (812) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flashmove: 4:50pm On Nov 07, 2017
Hello all

I need a sample sketch of 4 story double flat each three rooms and parlour . The land is 50 by 50 .

and i will need a contractor that will over see it.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:56pm On Nov 07, 2017
mufutau55:

That is what my Electrician recommended. One for downstairs and one for upstairs, I guess to separate the load..
It's a big duplex, so I agreed to it. I don't know much about electricity in Naija o.

Hajji M.
some places self we can use 4 for a duplex depending on how big the duplex is ... i know i will get bash for this lol

sometime you want to seperate inverter/solar load from AC/WATER HEAVY STUFF from inverter.. good to have smaller d4 single phase by the side of the big D8/D6...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:43pm On Nov 07, 2017
twinskenny:

some places self we can use 4 for a duplex depending on how big the duplex is ... i know i will get bash for this lol

sometime you want to seperate inverter/solar load from AC/WATER HEAVY STUFF from inverter.. good to have smaller d4 single phase by the side of the big D8/D6...

It makes real sense for distribution and diagnosis and I don't why anyone should bash you for this. "Not be only one way enter market o".

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 9:44pm On Nov 07, 2017
twinskenny:

I used 3 DBs in mine for this reason. D8 + D6 to share the load on different sides of the building then a separate D4 for load that can be served by an inverter. All 3 phase though.

So, when Allcopacetic returns to village this christmas, even the Igwe must come collect!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:43am On Nov 08, 2017
Flashmove:
Hello all

I need a sample sketch of 4 story double flat each three rooms and parlour . The land is 50 by 50 .

I can only help with 3 storey, the first one is 3 bedrooms and parlour while the second and third are 2 bedroom flats and parlour each wing.

The second issue will be your land. How do you plan to build a double flat on a 50x50 plot of land?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 6:11am On Nov 08, 2017
That's really a serious issue. At least 7m plus towards d right n 7m towards d left plus either 1.8-2m for middle stairway. I THINK IT'S BEST TO CHOOSE SOME BETTER OPTIONS SIR WHICH WILL FIT ON 50/50 FT COS THAT'S 15M BY 15M.

MY HUMBLE VIEW...GOOD MORNING
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ubox: 7:26am On Nov 08, 2017
Flashmove:

Can you make this a flat roof desgin . make any example choice with the attached pic, let me know if i can hire you for a job....
Proposal for the flat roof facade.
Day and night views attached

https://www.nairaland.com/3696405/contemporary-moderate-building-designs#54818903

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by IronAndSteelPro(m): 7:57am On Nov 08, 2017
Good day, we are giving up to 50% discount off iron and steel building materials.
Flashmove:
Hello all

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:07am On Nov 08, 2017
twinskenny:

You are right by separating the clean power from the raw power. some residential buildings and some offices use the same distribution board for raw power and inverter. We recently called by a South African company in Victoria Island for a power audit, they have been having issues with their power for over months. We carried out the following test:
-Insulation resistance test
-Continuity Test
-Earth Leakage test

After series of testing and other rigorous troubleshooting, we discovered that there was heavy backfield from inverter equipment to changeover and generator. This has caused them to change their generator before they contacted us cos it has damaged so many including their generator. Thank God we corrected everything and they are enjoying the power supply till date.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 11:10am On Nov 08, 2017
jabolo:

I used 3 DBs in mine for this reason. D8 + D6 to share the load on different sides of the building then a separate D4 for load that can be served by an inverter. All 3 phase though.

So, when Allcopacetic returns to village this christmas, even the Igwe must come collect!

Lol @ bolded.
You mean am Chief? "The Igwe must hear this"

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 11:21am On Nov 08, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/do_share?redirect=%2F3916073%2Fcornerstone-contemporary-design%2F6%2362173073&post=62173073&session=7F060847068DDA17332988F7B95CED38C9D2F6201A45E84971BAB516F6B5B8B8
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 11:59am On Nov 08, 2017
topsy23:

You are right by separating the clean power from the raw power. some residential buildings and some offices use the same distribution board for raw power and inverter ...

After series of testing and other rigorous troubleshooting, we discovered that there was heavy backfield from inverter equipment to changeover and generator. This has caused them to change their generator before they contacted us cos it has damaged so many including their generator. Thank God we corrected everything and they are enjoying the power supply till date.

Did you test for harmonics? This is what a sub-optimal inverter spews out into the electrical system in several directions and no amount of DB separation can offer protection to sensitive equpment (i presume their old generator suffered stator inter-winding overheat and/or damage to its own control circuitry) without a harmonic filter in place.

If you did not replace the inverter, or install harmonic filters, I suspect you just got lucky with a replacement generator with inbuilt resilience but you're still sending that stuff out to the distribution network accumulating problems elsewhere resulting in system outages. There should be standards for inverters allowed to be installed in our homes and we should not allow any cheap stuff just to be imported.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 1:15pm On Nov 08, 2017
jabolo:

Did you test for harmonics? This is what a sub-optimal inverter spews out into the electrical system in several directions and no amount of DB separation can offer protection to sensitive equpment (i presume their old generator suffered stator inter-winding overheat and/or damage to its own control circuitry) without a harmonic filter in place.

If you did not replace the inverter, or install harmonic filters, I suspect you just got lucky with a replacement generator with inbuilt resilience but you're still sending that stuff out to the distribution network accumulating problems elsewhere resulting in system outages. There should be standards for inverters allowed to be installed in our homes and we should not allow any cheap stuff just to be imported.

Serious Stuff!
On the other hand, will it not be cheaper to install filters and frequency stabilizers within the circuitry, instead of shopping for very xpensive and maybe not readily available Inverters that would suit those conditions?
Just wondering.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:24pm On Nov 08, 2017
jabolo:

The total connection was wrong initially, All the lighting and socket outlet connected to inverter shared the same neutral with PHCN /Generator instead of running a separate neutral cable from inverter equipment to a separate neutral bar on the DB. Whenever there is power outage from PHCN , all the loads connected to inverter will shut down even the inverter breaker will trip off. During the investigation and troubleshooting, we discovered that there is backfield in the main changeover switch and generator breaker when the inverter is working only. The inverter model is XANTREX from US one of the most expensive inverter in the market.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 1:24pm On Nov 08, 2017
Daboomb:

Serious Stuff!
On the other hand, will it not be cheaper to install filters and frequency stabilizers within the circuitry, instead of shopping for very xpensive and maybe not readily available Inverters that would suit those conditions?
Just wondering.

It is really not that serious in the grand scheme of things, just one other bothersome thing to consider by operators already trying to keep a weak system afloat.

So, would you not rather tell a noise maker to keep quiet than distribute ear muffs to all the other kids in a classroom as a comparable example?

If the inverters are properly designed in the first place you shouldn't have harmonic related problems in the system, at least not beyond the acceptable tolerances.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 1:28pm On Nov 08, 2017
topsy23:

The total connection was wrong initially, All the lighting and socket outlet connected to inverter shared the same neutral with PHCN /Generator instead of running a separate neutral cable from inverter equipment to a separate neutral bar on the inverter. Whenever there is power outage from PHCN , all the loads connected to inverter will shut down even the inverter breaker will trip off. During the investigation and troubleshooting, we discovered that there is backfield in the main changeover switch and generator breaker when the inverter is working only. The inverter model is XANTREX from US one of the most expensive inverter in the market.

Ah, I see. A crazeman posing as an electrician was originally employed.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:32pm On Nov 08, 2017
jabolo:

The problem is not from inverter nor harmonics filter. The electrician did a bad job
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 3:28pm On Nov 08, 2017
jabolo:

It is really not that serious in the grand scheme of things, just one other bothersome thing to consider by operators already trying to keep a weak system afloat.

So, would you not rather tell a noise maker to keep quiet than distribute ear muffs to all the other kids in a classroom as a comparable example?

If the inverters are properly designed in the first place you shouldn't have harmonic related problems in the system, at least not beyond the acceptable tolerances.

You may be right but in terms of the "economics", Nigeria does not produce virtually anything and we depend on importing most of these stuffs from overseas.
"He who owns the Piper, dictates the tune"!
We cant tell other countries what to or not to produce but we can certainly decide how we do our own electrical installation, in our individual homes.
That is the angle l am seeing it from, since that is more practical and feasible.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:43pm On Nov 08, 2017
topsy23:

You are right by separating the clean power from the raw power. some residential buildings and some offices use the same distribution board for raw power and inverter. We recently called by a South African company in Victoria Island for a power audit, they have been having issues with their power for over months. We carried out the following test:
-Insulation resistance test
-Continuity Test
-Earth Leakage test

correct baba
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:44pm On Nov 08, 2017
jabolo:

hehehe
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 9:14pm On Nov 08, 2017
Hello house...i see pple moving all around searching for a low budget of 2.5n to 3m for a portable and functioning 3bedroom bungalow...i,have d joy to alert u we r having any of your wish and any type of designs here...juast give a call or whatsapp on this no...08100452977

those willing to have a portable 3-4bedroom duplex or unit block there is just at ur ease...see u around
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 1:55am On Nov 09, 2017
My people,
It is now time to tile. I believe we’v come across different topics/links on tile products both local and foreign( I can’t find them). I need suggestions/links on the most inexpensive, durable and beautiful tiles for (floors) Living room, hallway, rooms, Kitchen and finally bathroom walls/floor. Pictures will be appreciated as well. I’m a fan of glossy/shiny tiles but welcomes all advice. Project is in the East. Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 5:05am On Nov 09, 2017
Truthinlife:
My people,
It is now time to tile. I believe we’v come across different topics/links on tile products both local and foreign( I can’t find them). I need suggestions/links on the [b]most inexpensive, durable and beautiful tiles [/b]for (floors) Living room, hallway, rooms, Kitchen and finally bathroom walls/floor. Pictures will be appreciated as well. I’m a fan of glossy/shiny tiles but welcomes all advice. Project is in the East. Thank you.

If you are going for 'not-so-expensive' Tiles grin grin , dont use very shiny types for the living room.
There traffic of feet will make it lose that shine so quickly it will be obvious you used a 'not-so-expensive' tile!
Use those that are not shiny for your living room and use a bright color (preferably white with some light ash).

use mostly non-primary colours that are brighgt, they give an air of 'space' and cleanliness.
Use large Tiles as much as possible (60x60), they are faster & cheaper to install and have fewer joint-lines, which makes them more appealing when installed

CDK Tiles is Nigerian made and not doing very bad. Sold in Lagos, dont know if they sell it in the East.

I am not a Tiler or a Contractor, l am just speaking from my own experiences, of my personal builds.
undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 6:22am On Nov 09, 2017
Daboomb:

If you are going for 'not-so-expensive' Tiles grin grin , dont use very shiny types for the living room.
There traffic of feet will make it lose that shine so quickly it will be obvious you used a 'not-so-expensive' tile!
Use those that are not shiny for your living room and use a bright color (preferably white with some light ash).
Thanks bro,
“Write2obi” where are you based on the east and your contact.

use mostly non-primary colours that are brighgt, they give an air of 'space' and cleanliness.
Use large Tiles as much as possible (60x60), they are faster & cheaper to install and have fewer joint-lines, which makes them more appealing when installed

CDK Tiles is Nigerian made and not doing very bad. Sold in Lagos, dont know if they sell it in the East.

I am not a Tiler or a Contractor, l am just speaking from my own experiences, of my personal builds.
undecided undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 6:24am On Nov 09, 2017
[quote author=Truthinlife post=62204885][/quote]
Thanks bro,
Let’s keep the conversation going @ write2obi where are you based in the east and your contact.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 6:25am On Nov 09, 2017
write2obi:

I'm glad you are loving your tiles chief, we've come a long way in tiles production, gone are the day when local manufacturers are scared to put their logo and "made in Nigeria" at the rear and pack of their tiles. CDK Ceramics and West African Ceramics are really setting the pace and Time Ceramics and Goodwill Ceramics are not far behind.

A Nairalander was at my office last week looking for white porcelain Spanish or Italian tiles, i showed him our samples and their prices, he needed about 1800+sqms, so as expected the money involved was huge, he said he'll need to leave the tile purchase until his next visit to Nigeria due to the funds involved.
Then i asked him a question ; why Spanish or Italian? Why not Nigerian? . He scoffed at my mention of Nigerian tiles.
Then asked him if he'll like me to show him made in Nigeria white porcelain tiles, just to see not touch or buy grin . He said ok, then i showed him the samples and.
He was so impressed and decided to go with Nigerian tiles and saving alot of money. Local manufacturers are uping their games and the competition is becoming more and more intense both price wise.
Where are you based in the east and your contact. Want to check out and buy the CDK tiles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KingMicky3286: 8:29am On Nov 09, 2017
ubox:

Proposal for the flat roof facade.
Day and night views attached

https://www.nairaland.com/3696405/contemporary-moderate-building-designs#54818903

Its really nice, you got the picture of what is obtainable. I think, putting railing on the top and the flower will blend with the garden light .

example pic attached

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 9:31am On Nov 09, 2017
Truthinlife:

Where are you based in the east and your contact. Want to check out and buy the CDK ltiles.
Onitsha Anambra state
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ubox: 9:53am On Nov 09, 2017
KingMicky3286:

Its really nice, you got the picture of what is obtainable. I think, putting railing on the top and the flower will blend with the garden light .

example pic attached

Thanks
I know as well, your opinion was what I had in mind at first but putting that on a classic building like the sample pic with the whole column and brick I was shown would seem off, I had to go with the cornige facade to give it a prestige feel to the already classic brick building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 10:18am On Nov 09, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/do_share?post=62207470&redirect=%2F4001979%2Fall-need-start-building-housebuild%2F4%2362207470&session=7F060847068DDA17332988F7B95CED38C9D2F6201A45E84971BAB516F6B5B8B8
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidexy(m): 11:52am On Nov 09, 2017
Good morning folks. I need recommendations for a good quality PVC ceilings in the south east of Nigeria. The prices Innoson is quoting per bundle seem somewhat outrageous, significantly different from what they advertised on their website. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (806) (807) (808) (809) (810) (811) (812) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: sodiq961(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.