Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,841 members, 7,817,491 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (840) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4390836 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (837) (838) (839) (840) (841) (842) (843) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 12:23pm On Jan 14, 2018
Daboomb:

Ehnhen!
I said it and he was arguing with me.
I was arguing with someone that the third Herdsman in the picture somewhere around Benue, looks like you and infact is you.. but he said it was only a semblance and looks more like Segzy!
I will show him your comment to prove l am right. shocked shocked undecided undecided

Please design a beautiful Ranch of these cattles and save us all from all these unecessay blood-letting and man's inhumanity to man, over just Naama! angry angry

NB: Na joke oooo, "poor" joke for that matter! grin grin
LMAO, really can't stop laughing. we need good laughter session in Naija ooo, or else ones head will just blow off. Really I lobe to have a ranch.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 15, 2018
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6530911_img20170718wa0070_jpeg4a19f1384f2bfae84b840c590f8ecb75

What's the consensus on this type of roof? The edge design with no parapet.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:19am On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6530911_img20170718wa0070_jpeg4a19f1384f2bfae84b840c590f8ecb75

What's the consensus on this type of roof? The edge design with no parapet.

Thanks.

Its lovely looking to me, but you know our Nigeria, where people expect everyone to finish their houses with a parapet since the parapet is in vogue now. This is cheaper than concrete fascia and still beautiful.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:28am On Jan 15, 2018
Barryton:

Thanks
Our nairaland engr no longer showcase construction works
What is happening now smiley

Many buildings are in progress, but I think some of our engineers here are very busy and will update their works later. We are live on 2 jobs and might add a 3rd next week.

Last week works https://www.nairaland.com/3787617/new-10-flats-2-bedrooms/6

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:49am On Jan 15, 2018
diordaves:

Mind you, the beacon is cemented to the fence and the hole is normally blinded before planting the beacon. So it will take the breaking of the fence and heavy digging to uproot the beacon. If you've got neighbours who are ready to go this length to be mischievous or cause trouble, then you've had it. They will probably do more than uprooting a damn beacon pillar.

Thanks you Sir.
Let me attempt to clear the air about this fence and beacon positions from a typical estate layout, where lands are shared and beacons planted with measurements registered in the government bodies responsible for such. Please note that the points where beacons falls are at the exact tip of the your land line, not inside or outside of it. As such your fencing must be on top of your boundary, climbing on top of the beacons, not in front or behind it.

If you do your fencing in front of the beacons, your walls will encroach into the roads and into your neighbour's land. However, if your fencing are done behind the beacon lines, your land will become smaller than its supposed, and your neighbours might enjoy the space you leave for them.

1. Do your fencing over the beacons
2. Make sure not to remove the beacons while you fence
3. Cover your beacons to protect the identity numbers on the beacons.
4. Call a surveyor to help you if there is any confusion

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 15, 2018
spyder880:

Its lovely looking to me, but you know our Nigeria, where people expect everyone to finish their houses with a parapet since the parapet is in vogue now. This is cheaper than concrete fascia and still beautiful.

Boss, the fascia is it wood or metal?

Thank you Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:18am On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Boss, the fascia is it wood or metal?

Thank you Sir.

Aluminium flat sheets.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 15, 2018
diordaves:

To start with, is it a storey building? which I guess it is, please do a 40ft tower. You may have water pressure problem for upper flat(s) with 30ft.

The cost depends on the height and the carrying capacity of the tower. What is the size of "water containers" (tanks) and how many will be balanced on the tower?

With the current price increases N550K may just cut it.

I did over 40ft tower for 4 water tanks for N480K. See pic.
Sir is the tank arrangement going to be 1, 1, 2 arrangement to make it four tanks on d stand starting from bottom?
What is the capicity of each tank? I guess it is one tank per flat?
What was d depth of d foundation & are these the ones called H beams?
Think i will increase my to 40ft going by your advise. Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 15, 2018
Do anyone have an idea as to what causes crack on concrete?
I saw cracks on my 3 days old concrete slab
The site engr is not giving me cogent reasons for d crack.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:27am On Jan 15, 2018
Quick hydration might likely be the cause that is why is good to do curing on any concrete

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
rotecch77:
Quick hydration might likely be the cause that is why is good to do curing on any concrete
Which one is curing sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:09pm On Jan 15, 2018
CURING is the spraying of water or spreading of sharp sand on surface of freshly made concrete to control it's moisture so to protect the concrete from quick hydration against cracking

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 15, 2018
rotecch77:
CURING is the spraying of water or spreading of sharp sand on surface of freshly made concrete to control it's moisture so to protect the concrete from quick hydration against cracking
Sharp sand? how effective is that?
are there number of days for spraying this water sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 15, 2018
Just did this and my MaiGuard was told to water for three days and I think twice a day.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
You can even use canvas, sand, water.

But the cheapest one is water, so use water and do the curing within 3-7 days there is no crime if it's more than that more so weather condition of your area also contribute to the duration
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2018
Need some heads up my people. As I am at roofing stage.
1.was on a phone w with a friend who just roofed and when.i asked him what is the aluminium gauge of the longspan he used, he told me 4.5.
Naa there I got lost as I was thinking he will say 0.45, 0.55 etc as this is what I see on nairaland comments on roofing. Please make una educate me.
Secondly what are the cost of aluminium longspan and how is it sold in terms of dimension, per sqr meter or what.

Need to do my costing as to weigh my pockets.
Lastly what type of wood is best against termitetand thier ant FAMILIES to usewfor the roofing,any local names.
Thanks all. Daboomb, haji, aventure, segzy etc make una help a brother out with information.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:37pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Just did this and my MaiGuard was told to water for three days and I think twice a day.
What is that sir?
Is it soak away?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

What is that sir?
Is it soak away?

Water stand for my garage apartment. On it will be a 2,500 liter Storex tank.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2018
back2sender:
Need some heads up my people. As I am at roofing stage.
1.was on a phone w with a friend who just roofed and when.i asked him what is the aluminium gauge of the longspan he used, he told me 4.5.
Naa there I got lost as I was thinking he will say 0.45, 0.55 etc as this is what I see on nairaland comments on roofing. Please make una educate me.
Secondly what are the cost of aluminium longspan and how is it sold in terms of dimension, per sqr meter or what.

Need to do my costing as to weigh my pockets.
Lastly what type of wood is best against termitetand thier ant FAMILIES to usewfor the roofing,any local names.
Thanks all. Daboomb, haji, aventure, segzy etc make una help a brother out with information.

I believe he meant .45, which is same as 0.45
As regards roofing wood, i think it depends on the area, as type of wood & name varies with location. Just make sure u re using hardwood.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Water stand for my garage apartment. On it will be a 2,500 liter Storex tank.
Is it a base for the stanchion or u re directly placing the tank on top?
If it is the latter, how do u deal with water pressure?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Is it a base for the stanchion or u re directly placing the tank on top?
If it is the latter, how do u deal with water pressure?

No stanchion, it’ll be directly placed on it. I’ve decided against elevated water tanks on my property for safety and will use pressure pump instead. There will be other tanks around the compound like this also.

You can set up a small solar power system for your pump so you don’t need NEPA.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jayooh: 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
Epoxy flooring expert in the building... For industrial flooring solutions. Easy to maintain and well durable floor finish, please contact.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 4:04pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

No stanchion, it’ll be directly placed on it. I’ve decided against elevated water tanks on my property for safety and will use pressure pump instead. There will be other tanks around the compound like this also.

I personally dont like elevated stand as well
If i am not mistaking, the major difference between this & tower is that, this low stand requires constant supply of electricity to run the pressure pump?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 4:09pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Right way to go ,save cost and at the same proactively taking steps to safeguard lives

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 4:36pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Do you have any idea of how much the solar system + pressure pump will cost?

Like you, those high tank stand scares me.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:13pm On Jan 15, 2018
Flaghouse1:

Right way to go ,save cost and at the same proactively taking steps to safeguard lives
But one requires constant power supply, in a country with inconsistent power supply
My issue with solar is wet season, dont if it have any implication on its supply
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

I personally dont like elevated stand as well
If i am not mistaking, the major difference between this & tower is that, this low stand requires constant supply of electricity to run the pressure pump?

There are many other major differences.

Maybe the professional builders here can tell us what the building code states as far as distance of EWT from structures and property lines, height, materials, amount of water, etc

I won't need mine to be pressurized for my BQ (based on the elevation difference between the two locations) so you don't necessarily need to pressurize it. The main house will be pressurized but won't be powered by NEPA. The pump only needs a small amount of power and that can be handled easily by a small stand-alone solar system. That same solar system can handle other stuff around the compound if planned carefully (driveway gates, water fountain, perimeter lights, etc). The pump will only draw occasional power, the gate will draw occasional power, the perimeter lights come on from dusk to dawn, fountain requires ridiculous low power).

Another theory that I'm trying to prove to myself is that I will get lukewarm water from this setup due to thermal energy. We shall see grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

But one requires constant power supply, in a country with inconsistent power supply
My issue with solar is wet season, dont if it have any implication on its supply

Even in wet season solar panels still store electrical charges, though output may not be same as during the dry season,I believe the power rating of the pressure pump will not be much
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jan 15, 2018
Badgers14:

Do you have any idea of how much the solar system + pressure pump will cost?

Like you, those high tank stand scares me.

I haven't gotten that far yet.

In USA the pump will be about $25 and the solar stuff maybe $150, I figured maybe half that for the cheap Chinese stuff in Nigeria.

One thing I want you guys to keep in mind, you can do battery power also and charge it by NEPA if you are in an area with reasonable light. You don't have to buy solar panels right away. You can buy inverter and battery and you're done. The pump uses very little energy. Unless you run a laundromat, how often do we turn on the tap in most homes? It's not a constant.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

There are intelligent controllers that can take power from two sources. NEPA and solar. So on cloudy days when solar will still charge but not as powerful then you can let NEPA charge your batteries. This is all automatic by the way but not on cheap controllers.

Apart from the high initial cost, there is no way to explain away the effectiveness of solar. IMHO.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There are many other major differences.

Maybe the professional builders here can tell us what the building code states as far as distance of EWT from structures and property lines, height, materials, amount of water, etc

I won't need mine to be pressurized for my BQ (based on the elevation difference between the two locations) so you don't necessarily need to pressurize it. The main house will be pressurized but won't be powered by NEPA. The pump only needs a small amount of power and that can be handled easily by a small stand-alone solar system. That same solar system can handle other stuff around the compound if planned carefully (driveway gates, water fountain, perimeter lights, etc). The pump will only draw occasional power, the gate will draw occasional power, the perimeter lights come on from dusk to dawn, fountain requires ridiculous low power).

Another theory that I'm trying to prove to myself is that I will get lukewarm water from this setup due to thermal energy. We shall see grin
This is really a nice setup

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:48pm On Jan 15, 2018
spyder880:

Many buildings are in progress, but I think some of our engineers here are very busy and will update their works later. We are live on 2 jobs and might add a 3rd next week.

Last week works https://www.nairaland.com/3787617/new-10-flats-2-bedrooms/6
Oga spyder what type of tank stand do u intend to do for this building? four floors
The tank stand go compete with skyscrapper ooo
H Beams go do this one so...
Is it not safer to use pressure pump on such build?

(1) (2) (3) ... (837) (838) (839) (840) (841) (842) (843) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Prinzton(m), Obinnau(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.