Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (841) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4390310 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (838) (839) (840) (841) (842) (843) (844) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:52pm On Jan 15, 2018
skelefish:

Sharp sand? how effective is that?
are there number of days for spraying this water sir?

When my decking was done by Aventures.. I think we watered it for 5 or 7 days and twice a day.... early in the morning and late in the evening.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Oga spyder what type of tank stand do u intend to do for this building? four floors
The tank stand go compete with skyscrapper ooo
H Beams go do this one so...
Is it not safer to use pressure pump on such build?
Honestly
Money to construct such a stand is enough for solar panel design that will power the pressure pump.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 15, 2018
mufutau55:

When my decking was done by Aventures.. I think we watered it for 5 or 7 days and twice a day.... early in the morning and late in the evening.

Hajji M.
Thanks for the info
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 15, 2018
Water Pressure Booster:

Here's an automatic one on eBay, you have to work with an educated plumber to calculate the proper one to get based on volume, etc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90W-220V-Self-Priming-sink-facucet-Shower-Pressure-Water-Booster-Stainless-Pump/263386730783?hash=item3d5312911f:g:CpwAAOSwUchaMcx1

~ $30

Solar Kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-KIT-Plug-n-Power-BLACK-10W-10-Watt-Mono-Solar-Panel-12v-Battery-RV-Boat/151369522699?epid=1131870395&hash=item233e539e0b:g:1M0AAOSwbqpT2SKP

~ $70

These are bare minimums, I would spec quite a bit higher for mine personally because I don't like to do rework (something that the artisans on my site like to do angry ).

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Oga spyder what type of tank stand do u intend to do for this building? four floors
The tank stand go compete with skyscrapper ooo
H Beams go do this one so...
Is it not safer to use pressure pump on such build?

It's also important to note that private buildings require different logistics from massive rental structures.

I've seen some of Oga Spyder EWT, they are massive infrastructures cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:26pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It's also important to note that private buildings require different logistics from massive rental structures.

I've seen some of Oga Spyder EWT, they are massive infrastructures cheesy
This one is going to be massive
the structure is quite high
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:41pm On Jan 15, 2018
I have diff type of pressure pump for sales, i have sold for many popular nairaland here
There water low pressure issue is solved now.

*The one with fixed small tank that has bladder inside.
*Another one with automatic system (tankless)
The pump has control which you can use to regulate the water pressure the capacity start from 0 bar -25 bar or more.

But it's compulsory to use very thick pipe that can withstand the pressure bar and make sure professional handle the mech work if not .....what happened in 1877 will receive occur again.

Recommended types of pipe
*hence pipe and fittings.
*Technogreen pipe amd fittings.

I will post pics soon

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 15, 2018
rotecch77:
I have diff type of pressure pump for sales, i have sold for many popular nairaland here
There water low pressure issue is solved now.

*The one with fixed small tank that has bladder inside.
*Another one with automatic system (tankless)
The pump has control which you can use to regulate the water pressure the capacity start from 0 bar -25 bar or more.

But it's compulsory to use very thick pipe that can withstand the pressure bar and make sure professional handle the mech work if not ..... what happened in 1877 will receive occur again.

Recommended types of pipe
*hence pipe and fittings.
*Technogreen pipe amd fittings.

I will post pics soon

grin

All jokes aside, to use a pressure pump one has to be on the ball with correct materials and plumber from the get go. Dem no born me well make I try to pressurize my garage apartment cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:55pm On Jan 15, 2018
rotecch77:
Quick hydration might likely be the cause that is why is good to do curing on any concrete
The harmattan season compounded it. The water was drying out faster than the cement can make use of it.
I believe the concrete should have been sprayed even more considering the season.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kennykane1(m): 7:00pm On Jan 15, 2018
spyder880:

Its lovely looking to me, but you know our Nigeria, where people expect everyone to finish their houses with a parapet since the parapet is in vogue now. This is cheaper than concrete fascia and still beautiful.

Oga spyder but I heard Parapet is slowly going out of vogue in Nigeria. I also noticed some of Skimanski's buildings has wood or pinewood fascia. Please correct me if I'm wrong..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:01pm On Jan 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I haven't gotten that far yet.

In USA the pump will be about $25 and the solar stuff maybe $150, I figured maybe half that for the cheap Chinese stuff in Nigeria.

One thing I want you guys to keep in mind, you can do battery power also and charge it by NEPA if you are in an area with reasonable light. You don't have to buy solar panels right away. You can buy inverter and battery and you're done. The pump uses very little energy. Unless you run a laundromat, how often do we turn on the tap in most homes? It's not a constant.

$25 for the pump? Where they sell that at, LOWES or Home Depot? Do you have pictures of what they look like so i can check it out in the store
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:17pm On Jan 15, 2018
@egun ,sir you are much correct o , even upon all pipe I mentioned I still do hydrolic test for all my work now either the owner planned for pressure pump or not I will still do it to be in safer side.

3rd pics pressure testing machine

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:25pm On Jan 15, 2018
@ gbadex, thanks for your observation , it's still quick hydration which watering will eliminate if done at earlier stage
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
Badgers14:

$25 for the pump? Where they sell that at, LOWES or Home Depot? Do you have pictures of what they look like so i can check it out in the store

I buy these kinds of stuff from plumbing supplies stores that plumbers go to. Usually small local mom and pop stores.

If you prefer Lowes/Depot then make a habit of sauntering through their clearance stuffs in the back. Also play nice with the plumbing department salesperson they are sometimes helpful. I got all three windows when I was building my shed as an example for under $50 total.

Good luck.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2018
kennykane1:

Oga spyder but I heard Parapet is slowly going out of vogue in Nigeria. I also noticed some of Skimanski's buildings has wood or pinewood fascia. Please correct me if I'm wrong..
You not wrong, flat roof takes centre stage now...cheaper & beautiful.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 15, 2018
Chekitaut:

Oh, the horrors grin

I actually don't mind small petite parapet. The small profile.

The gaudy 2 to 3 feet long ones gives me the shivers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
Chekitaut:
But do flat roof really have fittings on small buildings?
It look good on high buildings
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:02pm On Jan 15, 2018
rotecch77:
@egun ,sir you are much correct o , even upon all pipe I mentioned I still do hydrolic test for all my work now either the owner planned for pressure pump or not I will still do it to be in safer side.

Can you post pictures of pressure pumps you have and their prices. Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 9:14pm On Jan 15, 2018
33k. Sold by Rotech.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:27pm On Jan 15, 2018
Rubbiish:
But do flat roof really have fittings on small buildings? It look good on high buildings
Depend on the architect bro.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:56pm On Jan 15, 2018
back2sender:
Need some heads up my people. As I am at roofing stage.
1.was on a phone w with a friend who just roofed and when.i asked him what is the aluminium gauge of the longspan he used, he told me 4.5.
Naa there I got lost as I was thinking he will say 0.45, 0.55 etc as this is what I see on nairaland comments on roofing. Please make una educate me.
Secondly what are the cost of aluminium longspan and how is it sold in terms of dimension, per sqr meter or what.

Need to do my costing as to weigh my pockets.
Lastly what type of wood is best against termitetand thier ant FAMILIES to usewfor the roofing,any local names.
Thanks all. Daboomb, haji, aventure, segzy etc make una help a brother out with information.

Yes, he meant 0.45 and 0.55mm respectively.
I hear those prices change rapidly but l have not done any roofing in the very recent times, so l cant say though l used Steptiles.

Roofing Wood:
Use "Ofun" for the 2x2, 2x3, 2x4's and use Akun for the 1x12's.
It is a termite-resistant hard wood and yet it is lighter in weight compared to other hardwoods

Not sure of what the current prices will be but back then when l used it, it was #350, #500, #630 and #1,500 in the listed order above.

(make sure you can identify it or someone trustworthy can identify it for you undecided undecided )

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 9:56pm On Jan 15, 2018
rotecch77:

Guys what change now, I remember couple of years back when we’re discussing these ideas of pressure pumps and tank here. Many of the professionals on this forum down play and discourage the idea, as if it never been used somewhere else before. We can scroll back to some of those conversations. I always argued with many of you as if any ideas that been proven to be effective is not for Nigeria’s in Naija. If many of you are afraid of leaving your comfort zones in NA SO WE THE DO AM HERE mentality and face challenges of new create innovation, in know time most of those experience may soon become obsolete.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:56pm On Jan 15, 2018
Oh one of the oga has posted one that I sold to him.
Roger that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:07pm On Jan 15, 2018
rotecch77:
Oh one of the oga has posted one that I sold to him.
Roger that.
I saw it, I believe he stick to his ideas for the pressure pump after he may have wasted money on water tower tank before the plumber succumb to him.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:40pm On Jan 15, 2018
@oga kopell, thanks for this, although everybody has diff opinion about any issue.(accoding to how you said the issue has been discussed at some pages back)
Pressure pump is been long available in nigeria , personally i know this pump as far back as 20yrs ago and before that I know some people would have known about it very well.
Then water co-operation is still working and most mechanical work then is direct water system into the building no need of tank (indirect system) although some have tank as reservoir ..
Then water leakage is not common bcs plumber use BSS GALVANISED PIPE HANDLE BY PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER.

But fast forward to 10yrs now a lot of substandard pvc pipe couple with lazy non professional plumber handling the job make the pump become ghost.

Without tanks just direct water system connection from water cooperation with adequate power supply or from your reservoir which will be connected to your pressure pump.
Just open ur tap water will gush out with full pressure of about 5bar depends on how you regulate the pump ones you lock the tap the pump will stop.

As I said up there bad material couple with bad workmanship made the pressure pump become problem to some building.

Sometime ago at Ikeja gra a member called me for such issue.
This is the short story, a company handle the job and finished it and deliver the job and the owner find it out that there is pressure pump but why low pressure again this people didn't answer (they have collected there balance) this now become a big problem for the owner, the house upper section of the building toilet stuffs ( power shower, jacuzzi etc) didn't function well .

People are fuuny o they know what they did already there is pressure pump there as I said but you can't beleive they can't on it bcs the piping system there is bad I found out that they didn't consider this pressure system for the building from the beginning it after thought.(may be when the see that the height of the water tank is not enough and they can't add more to the height due to the pipe they us, that was my thought then)

Later the owner of the building now test the pump what do you think that happen (1866 issue) leakages everywhere.
Then i was called upon I change the whole piping system to better one up till now there are living fine there.

I bet you if you have good plumbing work couple with light you are good to go with pressure pump without any issue.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:43pm On Jan 15, 2018
Yes oga kopell I beleived that was what oga fast shipping did.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:36pm On Jan 15, 2018
diordaves:

Some valid point you've pointed out.

With the POP design, not everyone will like the symmetric clean line design it seems you favour. Some will go for the curved walls with intricate design and even religious symbols and statement. Whatever the design, it is good advise to have a balance and coherence.

I'm with you on the skirting board. It's a hard act to follow sourcing skirting board in Nigeria; but if one can source it, skirting board is a better outcome. However, tile skirting can make a sophisticated statement if done properly. As currently done in Nigeria, the whole concept is just lost in translation. As done in Nigeria, the skirting tile is too thin and almost always of the same tile with the floor tile. This must not be so. The skirting tile can be of different colour from the floor tile and more bold in cut and presentation. See photo. Again the skirting tile must not always be glazed, a mat finish surface presents better. There is also bathroom skirting tiles with edging. (I've seen this in Orile), see last photo. With a bit of interior design ingenuity, tile skirting will present well like the second photo.

Now the kitchen cabinets are the short size. The standard height should be 723mm or the long 900mm. The headroom of the kitchen is so high that it made nonsense of the short wall units. The wall unit should have been a minimum of 723mm.

The cooker range being shorter than the worktop is an anomaly not for aesthetics but for practicality of use. The use of an out sized pot will pose a challenge as the pot will be hemmed in by the worktop edges.

They always stand out against tiles skirting.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:56pm On Jan 15, 2018
kennykane1:

I am one of the people who thinks the parapet was overhyped, and an avoidable cost which raises the overall cost of building construction. I have fought a few clients who wants the parapet on their high rise buildings. I have also experimented with the polystyrene material in one of my projects in PH.

I am even making a case for the continuation of aluminium claddings and edges. When done well, they are usually very beautiful.

Is the parapet fascia going out of fashion? I can't say so since the number of new builds with concrete or polystyrene parapets are more than the buildings without them. I will look at the wood or pinewood alternatives and see the advantages. Cost reduction and the look on the finished building are my focus. We should do well to adopt, or introduce new styles to improve building construction generally.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:25am On Jan 16, 2018
spyder880:

I am one of the people who thinks the parapet was overhyped, and an avoidable cost which raises the overall cost of building construction. I have fought a few clients who wants the parapet on their high rise buildings. I have also experimented with the polystyrene material in one of my projects in PH.

I am even making a case for the continuation of aluminium claddings and edges. When done well, they are usually very beautiful.

Is the parapet fascia going out of fashion? I can't say so since the number of new builds with concrete or polystyrene parapets are more than the buildings without them. I will look at the wood or pinewood alternatives and see the advantages. Cost reduction and the look on the finished building are my focus. We should do well to adopt, or introduce new styles to improve building construction generally.

I love your quote, creative ideals is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 12:44am On Jan 16, 2018
EgunMogaji:

No stanchion, it’ll be directly placed on it. I’ve decided against elevated water tanks on my property for safety and will use pressure pump instead. There will be other tanks around the compound like this also.

You can set up a small solar power system for your pump so you don’t need NEPA.

Just wondering, what measures do you have in place to prevent your pump from running dry?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:47am On Jan 16, 2018
FastShipping:
33k. Sold by Rotech.

Thanks. Same one I knew from him.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:53am On Jan 16, 2018
ice4u999:

Just wondering, what measures do you have in place to prevent your pump from running dry?

A simple float switch will take care of that. A duplicate off and on switch on the same tank will activate the borehole pump also.

Someone demo'd one here before. I think it was Brabus or Spyder880 when we were discussing placing tanks on top of roofs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (838) (839) (840) (841) (842) (843) (844) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.