Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (871) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4409477 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (868) (869) (870) (871) (872) (873) (874) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:08am On Feb 15, 2018
mufutau55:

You sure you are really building in Nigeria? Use trees as a form of fence for your building? I think not o.

Hajji M.

Ti awon boys ba de grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 1:08am On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
you could create extra rooms in the roof space (Attic)

/
50 cal on a bipod with a night vision scope against intruders.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:18am On Feb 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Ti awon boys ba de grin

Na gbaradah o. Even in the village, dem dey use fence now.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 1:35am On Feb 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

@First pic, the cantilever no be here ooo
Can our Nigerian engineers pull such off...I seriously doubt...

Architect who pulls up such design should be able to get a Structural Engineer who will put up the structural aspect.

So it is not beyond the limits of the Nigerian Engineer. It is only beyond the limits of the individual thinker.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:25am On Feb 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Well, every homeowner with his own taste.

My two car garage has been called wasteful because it can be a studio apartment.

Oga Spyder880 just wants his roof to be seen from the next village grin

grin
Na igbo men type of style be thAt grin wey dem go point to their roof to show you the location of their house

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:29am On Feb 15, 2018
bixton:

Architect who pulls up such design should be able to get a Structural Engineer who will put up the structural aspect.

So it is not beyond the limits of the Nigerian Engineer. It is only beyond the limits of the individual thinker.

Also the clients should bring the design too. Let’s even start from there. Because non of my clients have agreed on a design with such a cantilever.

Anyway I Dey wait for @Egunmogaji . I believe say me and my Oga go do this kind of building together one day.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 6:37am On Feb 15, 2018
Aventures:
Sir, I disagree with your last statement. Raft can sit comfortably on imported soil. There are some cases where the soil test report can recommend soil improvement and then shallow foundation instead of pile. Now, soil improvement is a process whereby you remove the natural top soil, vegetations, peat to a recommended level then fill and make the site up with a recommended imported filling material, you will either wait for natural compaction or make use of a vibratory axial roller with a recommended tonnage to compact and the do your compaction test. Thereafter your raft can be built. (I refer u to my thread on Osapa London project) Also this is the process required for cellular raft and reinforced concrete road. At the least I have dine this for a 2 storey building and 2 reinforced concrete roads.

Aventures, for accuracy, how long is a soil test really good for? Can one use a result from a soil test done 2-3 years ago?
My other question is, do I need to know the type of structure I want to erect before carry out a soil test or the test can be done and then give my structural engineer whenever I am ready?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:10am On Feb 15, 2018
bixton:

@bold So all the structural designs done by our structural engr. were given to them by the architect who designed them? Why must the architect be the one to get the structural engr in this case?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:13am On Feb 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I'm certain that Skimanski can do this.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6698908_santanderhouse01_jpegaf0fd7c894e2aaf85ab6164296124860
Hmmmm....i doubt ooo
I am not even talkng about the extension of the cantilever, but the load on top of the extention.
It is really gonna be difficult for our engrs, this is like a younger brother to cantilever helipad..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:16am On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
I see pics of Nigerians homes with big roofs and i wonder what a waste. You could create extra 4 bedrooms or even a game room or library at the roof . having rooms in the roof is french design .It's called an Attic . although I prefer the modern style
But is this attic design really comfortable for our kind of weather sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:20am On Feb 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Well, every homeowner with his own taste.

My two car garage has been called wasteful because it can be a studio apartment.

Oga Spyder880 just wants his roof to be seen from the next village grin
skimanski:

grin
Na igbo men type of style be thAt grin wey dem go point to their roof to show you the location of their house

That's how we planned it to be from the inception,I didn't like my dad's old house with a roof that is almost flat grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:25am On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
I Prefer modern/contemporary architecture with large windows,mostly cubic or square shaped . 3 storey with the roof top (Attic) being livable.
Are those contemporary architecture structures with large windows even that common in developed countries?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:28am On Feb 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Hmmmm....i doubt ooo
I am not even talkng about the extension of the cantilever, but the load on top of the extention.
It is really gonna be difficult for our engrs, this is like a younger brother to cantilever helipad..

I don't see anything too difficult about that cantilever, look at the top of it, did you notice how it is reduced to draw back some weight?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:34am On Feb 15, 2018
Androidking:

Let me come here so let's say a building has a cantilever . now that cantilever has a beam .
Now the column on d which d cantilever is on, is may be 525 x 225 mm .

Even if the cantilever is long . must d column project out ?? As in, part it in d wall part of it kicking out?? For d longer side

D reason for this is places like Aba and Onitsha they always do that no matter what d architect design dey keep pushing columns out and tell u, its for it to carry the cantilever . even if its 6 floors,
can't a structural ENGR design a building without those columns shouting of the wall .?

Pls am just a beginner and I hate it when engrs change my elevations .

Look at pix below u will see d columns projecting even d beams . does it mean its cheaper that way or dey are afraid to power a cantilever without those columns kicking out..

Or will it more expensive to do so??

Even in Two storey they still do it . as far as its blocks of flats u will it at Aba and Onitsha .

Pls no mind my repetition of sentences. I just want to learn

Like it when everything if flushing smoothly

Is the bold more important than the safety of the occupants?
Once a cantilever is involved, all measures to make it work should be adopted, even if it means impairing aesthestics. This is Nigeria, our engineers are still evolving, they will get there.
I was just talking about a post with a loaded cantilever...Cantilever is a big challenge for engrs, but not to architects, because to the architect is drawing, but to the engrs is more than drawing.

To do cantilever no be beans ooo...Even to the whites, they still struggle with it.
The burj al arab is classic example...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:39am On Feb 15, 2018
spyder880:

I don't see anything too difficult about that cantilever, look at the top of it, did you notice how it is reduced to draw back some weight?
True sir...
But the extension at the base & the wall on top of it rose my observation.
Most cantilevers we build here in nigeria extending more than 1.2m solely serve as balcony & not loaded with walls like i saw in that pic.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:14am On Feb 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

True sir...
But the extension at the base & the wall on top of it rose my observation.
Most cantilevers we build here in nigeria extending more than 1.2m solely serve as balcony & not loaded with walls like i saw in that pic.

Or they come with serious "wedge" which some of us find so ugly grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:19am On Feb 15, 2018
spyder880:

Or they come with serious "wedge" which some of us find so ugly grin
Yes ooo cheesy
It will work having an angular support like this...
& it is also possible to have a midway column serving as suport in the marked area wink

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:54am On Feb 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Hmmmm....i doubt ooo

Chairman Ah Ah!! give us some credit ooo. The only thing I see about this building is the genius thinking in its the architecture.

Do you know that the Extension is Most likely not carrying any more than 40% of the Load and is also most like the 40% its carrying is still getting support from the Top ?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:00am On Feb 15, 2018
skimanski:

Chairman Ah Ah!! give us some credit ooo. The only thing I see about this building is the genius thinking in its the architecture.

Do you know that the Extension is Most likely not carrying any more than 40% of the Load and is also most like the 40% its carrying is still getting support from the Top ?

True sir...
Especially the top, a kind of pull back approach was adopted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 10:06am On Feb 15, 2018
ice4u999:

Aventures, for accuracy, how long is a soil test really good for? Can one use a result from a soil test done 2-3 years ago?
My other question is, do I need to know the type of structure I want to erect before carry out a soil test or the test can be done and then give my structural engineer whenever I am ready?
Sometimes ago I was studying in failed foundation repair, underpinning and the likes, I did a pile for an international trained petroleum drilling engineer and he gave a lot of journals and books to read. Along the line I discovered that one of the reason for foundation failure is not just a design error or construction issues, it could be a change in soil formation over a very long time. Just to buttress this point some few years back an NLder introduced me to a client in Gbagada for a structural integrity inspection of a house he bought, the house was built years back on a pad foundation, after about 30yrs it is now showing some fatigue, after investigation the house is to be pulled down because the formation underneath has changed and can no longer bear the load with pad fdn.
Back to tour question 2-3yrs not too long for a soil test in my own opinion, but if your structural engineer is not comfortable with it, I all advice you do a fresh one that he would coordinate and ensure it is properly done.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:21am On Feb 15, 2018
Androidking:

Let me come here so let's say a building has a cantilever . now that cantilever has a beam .
Now the column on d which d cantilever is on, is may be 525 x 225 mm .

Even if the cantilever is long . must d column project out ?? As in, part it in d wall part of it kicking out?? For d longer side

D reason for this is places like Aba and Onitsha they always do that no matter what d architect design dey keep pushing columns out and tell u, its for it to carry the cantilever . even if its 6 floors,
can't a structural ENGR design a building without those columns shouting of the wall .?

Pls am just a beginner and I hate it when engrs change my elevations .

Look at pix below u will see d columns projecting even d beams . does it mean its cheaper that way or dey are afraid to power a cantilever without those columns kicking out..

Or will it more expensive to do so??

Even in Two storey they still do it . as far as its blocks of flats u will it at Aba and Onitsha .

Pls no mind my repetition of sentences. I just want to learn

Like it when everything if flushing smoothly

I think the problem is most of these building don't have structural design and if they do, the designs are not properly done.
Before I can answer your question, I will like to define and differentiate some terms that are interchangeably used from a structuring engineering point
cantilever slab: when the slab of a building or other structural member shootout from a beam perpendicular to the length width of the adjacent beam (a layman definition)
Overhanging slab: when a part of the slab is hanging out from an inner slab, where the two slab share the same beam at a point
cantilever beam: look up to the cantilevered slab above
Overhanging beam: look up to the overhanging slab above.

the major reasons while most of the building cantilever or overhung have such load is the presence of loaded slab at the edge which exacts too much point load, thereby increasing the moment and share at such end. The better arrangement is to have the slab cantilevered out without a column on top, where the slab will carry only the wall load of one floor.
If there is a need to have a wider slab, The slab can be accompanied by a beam which can be concealed ( raft or waffle slab) or shoot out below.
From experience, the best approach is to have an overhanging beam that extended into the slab thereby neutralizing the effect bending moment on the beams and columns

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 11:58am On Feb 15, 2018
abdulwastecx:

I think the problem is most of these building don't have structural design and if they do, the designs are not properly done.
Before I can answer your question, I will like to define and differentiate some terms that are interchangeably used from a structuring engineering point
cantilever slab: when the slab of a building or other structural member shootout from a beam perpendicular to the length width of the adjacent beam (a layman definition)
Overhanging slab: when a part of the slab is hanging out from an inner slab, where the two slab share the same beam at a point
cantilever beam: look up to the cantilevered slab above
Overhanging beam: look up to the overhanging slab above.

the major reasons while most of the building cantilever or overhung have such load is the presence of loaded slab at the edge which exacts too much point load, thereby increasing the moment and share at such end. The better arrangement is to have the slab cantilevered out without a column on top, where the slab will carry only the wall load of one floor.
If there is a need to have a wider slab, The slab can be accompanied by a beam which can be concealed ( raft or waffle slab) or shoot out below.
From experience, the best approach is to have an overhanging beam that extended into the slab thereby neutralizing the effect bending moment on the beams and columns

Eku Laakai Sir,

Well dissected , my question on this cantilever discourse to you sir are.

1.what is the relationship between the quantity of iron rods used in cantilever and decking in terms of sizes of iron rod.

2.-What is the ideal length of a cantilever shoot out from the decking in terms of feels or metres

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 15, 2018

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
Attic can be insulated . stop giving excuses man . Summer may be hotter than Nigeria but there's Attic

Give excuse? Will I tell or stop you not to put attic in your build?
I am just telling you how it is in Nigeria, sorry to even commented.

Hajji M.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 1:17pm On Feb 15, 2018
mufutau55:

Give excuse? Will I tell or stop you not to put attic in your build? I am telling you how it is in Nigeria, sorry to even commented.
Hajji M.
funny...given a like
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 1:26pm On Feb 15, 2018
The importance of a cantilever cannot be over emphasized in shooting out of the upper structure of a building.
I personally love attic designs and structure as an architect but some clients are selective about this.
What mutafau55 said shouldn't be misunderstood as the another person reacted,it's the matter of choice and other personal reason(s).

Got some time today and some days back, really following this interesting discussion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 15, 2018
skimanski:

Also the clients should bring the design too. Let’s even start from there. Because non of my clients have agreed on a design with such a cantilever.

Anyway I Dey wait for @Egunmogaji . I believe say me and my Oga go do this kind of building together one day.

Insha Allah my brother.

You have quite a few signature buildings under your belt. One was featured on a TV show too grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
I created this house plan . it's a Three storey 15 Bedroom House. All rooms will have bathroom . The house will have a game room and Library, Office. This is the first floor .

The red markings signifies doors attacged to the entry way. the entrances without red marking signifies no door in entry way

So let's do a roll reversal here.

Why do you need:

1) Restroom in each bedroom
2) 3 stairs
3) 3 living areas
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:11pm On Feb 15, 2018
Flaghouse1:

Eku Laakai Sir,

Well dissected , my question on this cantilever discourse to you sir are.

1.what is the relationship between the quantity of iron rods used in cantilever and decking in terms of sizes of iron rod.

2.-What is the ideal length of a cantilever shoot out from the decking in terms of feels or metres

Thank you

Nice question sir

1. There is no relationship between the quantity of reinforcement used in a cantilever and the that used on the adjoining slab (the decking). What we have is the percentage lapping length of the cantilever slab reinforcement ( mostly top bar extended into the adjoining slab). this lap length are taking to be 1.5L ( where L is the width of the cantilever).

There is no ideal length of a cantilever because in structural engineering you only provide a solution to the problem posed by the architect. The architect will make the design based on the need of the client, for example, some cantilever is to serve aesthetics function like long balconies while some serve functionality purpose, like extension out to add extra space to the living area. experience has shown that for a continuous slab construction with an overhanging slab (cantilever slab), optimal design moment is achieved at 0.2L ( where L is the length of the slab adjoining the cantilever. so, for a slab of 6m, the width of the cantilever adjoining it will be 0.2 x 6000 = 1200mm ( 1.2m)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 15, 2018

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 15, 2018

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (868) (869) (870) (871) (872) (873) (874) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Geekop and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.