Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (872) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4410896 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (869) (870) (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 6:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Nice question sir

1. There is no relationship between the quantity of reinforcement used in a cantilever and the that used on the adjoining slab (the decking). What we have is the percentage lapping length of the cantilever slab reinforcement ( mostly top bar extended into the adjoining slab). this lap length are taking to be 1.5L ( where L is the width of the cantilever).

There is no ideal length of a cantilever because in structural engineering you only provide a solution to the problem posed by the architect. The architect will make the design based on the need of the client, for example, some cantilever is to serve aesthetics function like long balconies while some serve functionality purpose, like extension out to add extra space to the living area. experience has shown that for a continuous slab construction with an overhanging slab (cantilever slab), optimal design moment is achieved at 0.2L ( where L is the length of the slab adjoining the cantilever. so, for a slab of 6m, the width of the cantilever adjoining it will be 0.2 x 6000 = 1200mm ( 1.2m)

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:50pm On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
I created this house plan . it's a Three storey 15 Bedroom House. All rooms will have bathroom . The house will have a game room and Library, Office. This is the first floor .

The red markings signifies door attached to the entry way. the entrances without red marking signifies no door in entry way.
Why is the bathroom not at the edge in the games room?
Higher cost of piping & occupants will have to inhale the air coming out d bathroom. Of which a window could have been placed on d edge wall.
The two rooms at the left, what is wrong having the closet & wc in d inner space to allow a better ventilation?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 15, 2018

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:56pm On Feb 15, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Nice question sir

1. There is no relationship between the quantity of reinforcement used in a cantilever and the that used on the adjoining slab (the decking). What we have is the percentage lapping length of the cantilever slab reinforcement ( mostly top bar extended into the adjoining slab). this lap length are taking to be 1.5L ( where L is the width of the cantilever).

There is no ideal length of a cantilever because in structural engineering you only provide a solution to the problem posed by the architect. The architect will make the design based on the need of the client, for example, some cantilever is to serve aesthetics function like long balconies while some serve functionality purpose, like extension out to add extra space to the living area. experience has shown that for a continuous slab construction with an overhanging slab (cantilever slab), optimal design moment is achieved at 0.2L ( where L is the length of the slab adjoining the cantilever. so, for a slab of 6m, the width of the cantilever adjoining it will be 0.2 x 6000 = 1200mm ( 1.2m)
Sir is this 0.2L like a constant when designing a cantilevered slab?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:59pm On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
ever heard of a Vent? windows aren't compulsory for bathroom.
in fact most apartments bathroom in most developed countries have no windows.
U just confirmed my suspicion
Ur design is an imported one
Stop comparing nigeria architecture to foreign arrchitecture, we don't have same weather, so don't expect same design approach...

just one question & do answer with sincerity;
Are u an architect trained in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 15, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:17pm On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
I'm not an architect man
Okay sir
Try to carry out an indepth research on tropical architecture.
U will understand what inform d decisions of nigerian architects.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 7:32pm On Feb 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Insha Allah my brother.

You have quite a few signature buildings under your belt. One was featured on a TV show too grin

Haaa na lie. Which tv show wey dem no tell me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:00pm On Feb 15, 2018
skimanski:

Haaa na lie. Which tv show wey dem no tell me

We talked about this before.

That lovely house that had the imported windows (no burglaries) was featured on Cribs. Another member brought it up.

I think it's on the thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
I'm not an architect man

That and the fact that you're not in Nigeria is actually double bonuses in my opinion.

You just need to collaborate with a young Nigerian Architect who is ready to work outside the box.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir is this 0.2L like a constant when designing a cantilevered slab?

From a structural engineering perspective, that formulae will give an optimal cantilever length that will reduce slab span moment
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:52pm On Feb 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

We talked about this before.

That lovely house that had the imported windows (no burglaries) was featured on Cribs. Another member brought it up.

I think it's on the thread.

Oh yea . Taught it was a recent project. Thats true

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 10:53pm On Feb 15, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
I created this house plan . it's a Three storey 15 Bedroom House. All rooms will have bathroom . The house will have a game room and Library, Office. This is the first floor .

The red markings signifies door attached to the entry way. the entrances without red marking signifies no door in entry way.

Your house plan is big. Is this a rental house? My only critic is the floor plan have too many walls. I prefer open floor plan. To get to the Living room, you have to go through hallways. Not cool this days. Reduce the walls. Open up the space.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:05pm On Feb 15, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:44pm On Feb 15, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 15, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 12:22am On Feb 16, 2018
MODALSOUL1:
The hall way is around 10 ft wide. These are just examples ,But I like modern version.

Nice. You better make sure your Builder/Architect is aware of this because going by your plan, it is all walls.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:32am On Feb 16, 2018
Rubbiish:

@bold So all the structural designs done by our structural engr. were given to them by the architect who designed them? Why must the architect be the one to get the structural engr in this case?

In an organised environment Architects put up designs (drafts) for any structure/build of any type and the Civil/Structural Engineer comes up with the structural aspect of the design.
The duty of the Engineer is to bring to reality the idea of the Architect and that cannot be compromised given the right materials for use.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:35am On Feb 16, 2018
skimanski:

Also the clients should bring the design too. Let’s even start from there. Because non of my clients have agreed on a design with such a cantilever.

Anyway I Dey wait for @Egunmogaji . I believe say me and my Oga go do this kind of building together one day.

Every client is supposed to bring his/her design. It is the duty of the Architect/Engineer to make it work-able to the best of his/her intellectual capacity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:03am On Feb 16, 2018
Rubbiish:

U just confirmed my suspicion
Ur design is an imported one
Stop comparing nigeria architecture to foreign arrchitecture, we don't have same weather, so don't expect same design approach...

just one question & do answer with sincerity;
Are u an architect trained in Nigeria?

There's a 3 storey built hotel in Edo State where the toilets as designed don't have windows but vents.
The architect who built it is not same as the one who designed it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:07am On Feb 16, 2018
bixton:

There's a 3 storey built hotel in Edo State where the toilets as designed don't have windows but vents.
The architect who built it is not same as the one who designed it.
U should know less considerations are given to ventilation & lighting for hotel designs.
Have u seen bathrooms/wc without windows for residential buildings in nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Qc1(m): 10:30am On Feb 16, 2018
abdulwastecx:

From a structural engineering perspective, that formulae will give an optimal cantilever length that will reduce slab span moment

Are you busy? E be like say another job don land ooo...!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:50am On Feb 16, 2018
Rubbiish:

U should know less considerations are given to ventilation & lighting for hotel designs.
Have u seen bathrooms/wc without windows for residential buildings in nigeria?

Not done in Nigeria, does not mean it can't be done. It's a matter of choice for use by the individual.
I remember, I have seen a toilet without window in a family friends' 2 bedroom apartment. It's a guest toilet though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:00am On Feb 16, 2018
bixton:

Not done in Nigeria, does not mean it can't be done. It's a matter of choice for use by the individual.
I remember, I have seen a toilet without window in a family friends' 2 bedroom apartment. It's a guest toilet though.
Sir not everything is a matter choice
Health is paramount
Lets use u as a case study; don't u aerate ur bath/wc occassionally?
To have a healthy indoor climate, it is recommended u aerate your toilet occasionally in order to replace the moisture air, especially in this part of the world. We should try to understand the health implications of everythng we do with our build.
It will be sheer hypocrisy for me to encourage someone not to use windows for bath/wc that easily get stuff up with odour because of its function. How will he/she carry out proper aeration?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 12:52pm On Feb 16, 2018
bixton:

Every client is supposed to bring his/her design. It is the duty of the Architect/Engineer to make it work-able to the best of his/her intellectual capacity.

Sorry I meant agree on the design.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mup4life: 1:10pm On Feb 16, 2018
Good day house

Planning on moulding blocks 6inches solid, what is the right quantity to get from a bag and ensure good quality and strong blocks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:57pm On Feb 16, 2018
Qc1:

Are you busy? E be like say another job don land ooo...!

I dey o my oga...when make I come sir ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:00pm On Feb 16, 2018
Mup4life:
Good day house

Planning on moulding blocks 6inches solid, what is the right quantity to get from a bag and ensure good quality and strong blocks.
For 6inches block 30 - 33 is fine sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 16, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mup4life: 3:40pm On Feb 16, 2018
Rubbiish:

For 6inches block 30 - 33 is fine sir
thnks, the moulder told me 35 is fine.

And pls any idea of how much it costs generally to moulf a bag? Am being charged 800 per bag.

(1) (2) (3) ... (869) (870) (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Chikebrain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.