Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (874) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4370168 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mup4life: 9:59am On Feb 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I have a serious question for you and is something I'm currently pondering.

Why did you decide to use 6" solid versus the more popular 6" and 12" hollow blocks?

Thanks.

PS: I know solid block is very popular in Ghana.
For one i think the solid blocks are more secure, due to the absence of a vacuum.

Secondly, i think i just went with the popular choice. Nothing special informed my decision just moved with the trend in my location.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidexy(m): 11:20am On Feb 17, 2018
Folks, do we have self leveling cement in Nigeria? Where can one get it and any idea how much it costs?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:21am On Feb 17, 2018
chidexy:
Folks, do we have self leveling cement in Nigeria? Where can one get it and any idea how much it costs?
Sir By self leveling cement u mean?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:24am On Feb 17, 2018
diordaves:

You will need to bore or break underneath some sections of the block work and pour your concrete so that "DPC" will go under some section of the already laid block. This will reduce the effect of rising damp by as much as 70%.
Sir do u have any pic for this?
I have seen sth like this done before, but won't the breakages expose the building to risk of possible collapse?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 11:28am On Feb 17, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

Ol' boy, enough of stealing images from the net and placing them here to deceive people that you have a high taste. People like you have proven on here to not own up to #250k naira in their name and they are just flinging pictures upandan to cover their cash deficiency. Why not put you cash where your mouth is and invest in a Nigerian architect like Timtol?

Its good to have a wish list but stop pretending like you can afford a swimming pool on your top floor. Na so they tell me say one member here started flashing thousands of pictures and planning to build a house that will shame trump towers, but ended up building only a chicken coop mai guard house in the end with an uncompleted large courtyard that might be completed in 2045 grin

I no mention names o grin
Hian tongue

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidexy(m): 11:40am On Feb 17, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir By self leveling cement u mean?

You mix it and pour on the floor and it automatically corrects any unevenness on the floor. That way, laying of tiles, carpets or parquet becomes easier

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adewaleID: 11:46am On Feb 17, 2018
@Sprumbabafather lets calm down grin

Visualization is the formation of a mental image of something. We all need ideas, all these pics are very vital.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:35pm On Feb 17, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

Ol' boy, enough of stealing images from the net and placing them here to deceive people that you have a high taste. People like you have proven on here to not own up to #250k naira in their name and they are just flinging pictures upandan to cover their cash deficiency. Why not put you cash where your mouth is and invest in a Nigerian architect like Timtol?

Its good to have a wish list but stop pretending like you can afford a swimming pool on your top floor. Na so they tell me say one member here started flashing thousands of pictures and planning to build a house that will shame trump towers, but ended up building only a chicken coop mai guard house in the end with an uncompleted large courtyard that might be completed in 2045 grin

I no mention names o grin

Enough of this mocking oga. It is one thing to be throwing shades and it's another thing if what you're doing is fair or accurate. Let me tell you one thing that the person you're throwing shades at is not a poor man who can't necessarily complete his project. Living in the US and building a big house is not an easy endeavor. That person you're throwing shades at pays bills here running between $5000-$7000 per month. How many people back home living in an expansive duplex located in horrible neighborhood with zero amenities can actually afford to pay 300,000 naira a month in bills?

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:15pm On Feb 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I recommend this Ghanian Realtors channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdBoDZL00WmVPj0c1SNry-g but there are others.

I watch his videos because I get to see a mix of houses both new and old, small, large, seaside, country side, inside town, etc

This is really nice. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:24pm On Feb 17, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir do u have any pic for this?
I have seen sth like this done before, but won't the breakages expose the building to risk of possible collapse?

Sorry I don't have any photos anymore. Done it for my grandmother's house long ago. Of course there is risk of collapse if done anyhow. Do it section by section: break/bore the middle of one block for example and leave the mortar edges; give a gap of one block and do same for the next block. So the mortar edges and the interval blocks will stand the wall. Don't do too long a span. It is pain staking and a labour of love but you can get it done.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:17pm On Feb 17, 2018
diordaves:

Sorry I don't have any photos anymore. Done it for my grandmother's house long ago. Of course there is risk of collapse if done anyhow. Do it section by section: break/bore the middle of one block for example and leave the mortar edges; give a gap of one block and do same for the next block. So the mortar edges and the interval blocks will stand the wall. Don't do too long a span. It is pain staking and a labour of love but you can get it done.
Okay thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:20pm On Feb 17, 2018
chidexy:

You mix it and pour on the floor and it automatically corrects any unevenness on the floor. That way, laying of tiles, carpets or parquet becomes easier
Mixture correctng it uneveness without the application of a tool?
Have u see this kind of cement anywhere before?
Because i don't think we have such here & there is an instrument for leveling used by tilers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 17, 2018
Rubbiish:

Thank you sir!
Apart from the sound barrier because of the hollow, i see no need for using 6inches hollow.
Look too fragile to me, unless one is using 9inches hollow.

That’s what you get when there’s not enough cement in the mix.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 17, 2018
chidexy:

I saw it at Iwo road in Ibadan.

For a small area I don’t see why a weak mix of slow setting cement won’t work.

I defer to pro tilers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 17, 2018
diordaves:

I wish everyone that consider not doing a monolithic floor will read this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 17, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidexy(m): 2:51pm On Feb 17, 2018
Rubbiish:

Mixture correctng it uneveness without the application of a tool?
Have u see this kind of cement anywhere before?
Because i don't think we have such here & there is an instrument for leveling used by tilers.

This video demonstrates it, though in German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVYKP8BiMuk

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:01pm On Feb 17, 2018
chidexy:

This video demonstrates it, though in German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVYKP8BiMuk
From this video, the guy used a brush & a trowel board to spread the cement.
Please others should watch the video to correct me.
The water content was high in the mix, & the thickness was small, that was responsible for the uniform kind of flow after pouring, but the guy still used brush & board to spread it.

There is no way a cement will level itself without the application of a tool.
A watery mix with small thickness may make the pouring kind of uniform, but it isn't as a result of the cement, but mix.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:27pm On Feb 17, 2018
Rubbiish:

From this video, the guy used a brush & a trowel board to spread the cement.
Please others should watch the video to correct me.
The water content was high in the mix, & the thickness was small, that was responsible for the uniform kind of flow after pouring, but the guy still used brush & board to spread it.

There is no way a cement will level itself without the application of a tool.
A watery mix with small thickness may make the pouring kind of uniform, but it isn't as a result of the cement, but mix.

You can say that again o... if you say ready to mix cement fine, but self leveling cement? How?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 17, 2018
mufutau55:

You can say that again o... if you say ready to mix cement fine, but self leveling cement? How?

Hajji M.

It is self leveling Sir, not self spreading.

It’s hard to describe but easy to understand it’s effectiveness when in use.

It really does self level and I’ve used it before.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sprumbabafather: 7:22pm On Feb 17, 2018
FastShipping:

Enough of this mocking oga. It is one thing to be throwing shades and it's another thing if what you're doing is fair or accurate. Let me tell you one thing that the person you're throwing shades at is not a poor man who can't necessarily complete his project. Living in the US and building a big house is not an easy endeavor. That person you're throwing shades at pays bills here running between $5000-$7000 per month. How many people back home living in an expansive duplex located in horrible neighborhood with zero amenities can actually afford to pay 300,000 naira a month in bills?

na joke me dey, maybe the guy fit help advise me when I wan build next year.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:17pm On Feb 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It is self leveling Sir, not self spreading.
It’s hard to describe but easy to understand it’s effectiveness when in use.
It really does self level and I’ve used it before.

Now..I beleive now since you have seen it.
I will surely like to see it physically o.
That will be nice for tiling work in Naija o.
Thank you for the info.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Idealer(m): 10:19pm On Feb 17, 2018
mufutau55:

Now..I beleive now since you have seen it.
I will surely like to see it physically o.
That will be nice for tiling work in Naija o.
Thank you for the info.

Hajji M
Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have personally used this before to level uneven areas before laying tiles. Butagain this is the US and it is common here.
Something similar to this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:23pm On Feb 17, 2018
Idealer:

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have personally used this before to level uneven areas before laying tiles. Butagain this is the US and it is common here.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2018
Idealer:

Gentlemen and Ladies,

When I started the build of my house I was sure that I would need to bring a lot of things to my site from here.

Then I started seeing the Buy Naija, Grow Naira movement. Then I had the good fortune to meet a Togolese tiler who shared his experience with me.

I then went to the market in Ibadan and was amazed at what I was seeing.

This changed my opinion.

I’ll say this again, there’s nothing we have in the USA that’s not available in Nigeria. And this is based on ordinary Ibadan. I’m sure the Lagos and Abuja market is even bigger.

Now, we may debate quality and stuff and the antics of our people in sourcing the cheapest product possible to sell. But with due diligence one can find acceptable products.

The part that’s confusing is the “self” part. It’s self leveling, not self spreading.

Basically the floor will be perfectly plumb when spread without the use of a leveling device.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by maecomtech(m): 1:01am On Feb 18, 2018
How to save time, money and your sanity when building new or remodeling a property.

Imagine walking into your newly built or remodeled home and seeing it exactly as you had imagined it at the start of construction: the windows are all in the right places, the flooring is the right color, and the kitchen cabinets are a perfect fit.

Now allow me to pinch you on the arm, because for most people, reality is often different from that idyllic scenario. You might see missing trim around the bedroom doors or wonder why that small change in the kitchen cost so much. Looking back, you might ask, “And why did we have to hire another subcontractor to finish the bathroom?”

Of course, there are things you just can’t plan for, but there’s plenty that you can. Costly changes and additional time-consuming work can be kept to a minimum if you fully understand what you are building before you start. By understanding the construction process, being part of the team and keeping a firm grip on the budget, your construction project can result in the home of your dreams.

1. Don’t Skimp on Design Help

Given the busy lives most of us lead, we don’t have the time to research every type of technology and material that might be used on a construction project. Use professionals to save some of the time that would otherwise be spent learning and perfecting the process.

Architects are trained not just to make a project pretty but to match building systems, thermal envelopes and other properties to the client’s needs. They have a broad, up-to-date knowledge of these systems as well as of materials and processes for a wide variety of project areas.

Now, I sympathize with the awful feelings associated with a project’s going over budget. I’ve been there; I’ve gotten that dreaded call from the contractor that the structural and mechanical designs are in conflict. And dealt with preexisting conditions that the contractor hadn’t anticipated.

A design pro can provide guidance on what team members will likely be required for the project. And not just for the big ones, like a full custom home construction. Smaller projects like additions and remodels also can benefit from a pro’s expertise. Architects can usually recommend other team members, too, such as engineers.

Your budget might be tight, but I’ve seen time and time again that trying to save money on design actually can cost homeowners far more in the end, in frustration.

Homeowners often underestimate the cost and complexity of a remodel or new home project. The cost of the design work on a project is something that homeowners may consider skimping on to save money, but we find that the best way to avoid problems in construction is to invest time with your designer or architect up front to think about the construction process during design. This takes far less time than fixing mistakes that happen when the walls are going up.

Although it isn’t often pointed out, a good designer or architect depends on the client throughout the design and planning process as much as the client depends on the designer.

2. Become Part of the Team

Most people spend more time planning their next vacation, travels, and parties than they do planning their house project. Not that planning a house project has to be a full-time job. An architect or a designer can help you understand your role in the project as well as the contributions of other team members. That means participating in the process from the start so that you stay fully up to speed with what is happening throughout the project.

I’ve seen clients assume that I know what’s going on in their head and are surprised when something comes out different than what they were expecting. Being part of the team also means becoming familiar with some of the ways your team members communicate. The vast majority of projects use two-dimensional drawings (as well as written specifications) to communicate a homeowner’s intent to the construction team. This documentation is used to create three-dimensional structures.

This sounds simple enough, but there are many chances for misunderstandings each time a team member reads the documentation. On a recent project, the foundation contractor misread the drawings and built the formwork too narrow on part of the foundation. During a site visit, we were able to catch it before the concrete was poured, saving the time and frustration of having to chip out all that concrete. Saving our clients from waste is very important to us.

You can ask your team to assist you so you understand what is being communicated at each stage of the project. The best opportunity for this is during your design meetings. Remember, if you don’t understand something, ask. It’s better to get everyone on the same page early before a structure gets built that sticks out like a sore thumb.

You should also talk with the architect and/or contractor before the project starts so you can make sure that everyone agrees on the approach to how the building will be put together. There are evolving areas of construction, especially regarding the building envelope, that contractors and the architect should resolve before the project commences.

3. Establish Your Goals and Refer Back to Them Frequently

Be ready to suggest ways to get what you want while avoiding potential problems down the road. If you can create a list of priorities, then when you are faced with challenging decisions during construction, which is pretty much guaranteed, you and your team will be able to look back at your prioritized list to really focus on what will get you closer to your goal instead of what may be a costly distraction.

Things like prioritizing morning light in the kitchen or consciously forgoing a walk-in closet for a larger main bedroom can save the time and cost of having to move walls and making other expensive changes in the middle of construction.

4. Establish Your Budget and Add at Least 10 Percent

Be sure to set aside a construction contingency for critical items — and don’t be tempted to use it just to put in an upgraded cooktop! Due to the complexity of the construction process, unforeseen issues will come up. Without a contingency, you might find yourself short of cash when you really need it.

Without a contingency to tackle urgent situation, we might have Issues that will lead to postponement of the project delay for a while.

5. Don’t Get Attached to an Optimistic Timeline

Ideally, your team members will take the time to carefully plan and build your dream house most efficiently. Even if they are not putting in hours specifically on your project, the designer and others will likely be thinking about your project in the back of their mind. It takes time to work out the details of a project, so if you need to get the project designed and built very quickly, there might be situations that won’t be fully resolved in the design phase. There will always be elements that will need resolving onsite, but taking the time to do as much as possible on paper can reduce costs.

It’s also tempting to look at the best-case scenario for construction and think that it will then be the norm for your project. Just like with a cost contingency, though, you’d be well served to build in a time contingency as well. As much as it might seem possible to get into the house on a certain date if all the stars align, realistically there is a chance that the project could go late for a whole variety of reasons (laid out previously). Do yourself a favor: Have a backup plan in case you can’t roll up in the moving van on your exact date.

6. Consider Construction Implications Before You Start

During a recent remodel, one homeowner (who was working without a designer) realized that opening up the main floor of her house required a structural engineer, which caused delays as she searched for an engineer and he did his drawings.

So it’s important to understand what the construction implications will be to get the space you want. An architect would have been able to point this out before construction started and would have avoided the stress and extra costs involved in undoing some work in the middle of the project.

7. Communicate Frequently With Your Team

A weekly or biweekly status report can help identify areas of concern. This should be done at the onset of the project and continue through construction. The construction phase is where there are likely to be changes due to site conditions, availability of products or other factors. Be sure to get all changes documented in writing; sign off on both the changes and the cost to stay in control and to ensure that all team members are up-to-date at every stage of the building process.

In construction the document is usually called a change order; it explains the nature of the change and the cost. Sometimes the changes are called extras, because they are additional to what was agreed on in the construction contract.

For example, a homeowner might decide to move the location of a door, so the designer will assess the impact of the change with the general contractor and draw up a change order for review by the client. If the client is OK with the amount, then he or she would ideally sign the physical copy (often confirmation via email is used) and the work would begin.

I believe this was helpful, if you will like to contact us for your projects please feel free to reach us.

Contact us @ MAECOM Design

Via:
www.maecomtech.com

Check our portfolio and profile on:
https://www.houzz.com/pro/maecomtech/maecom-technology

Chat us on:
https:///send?phone=2348066570118
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 4:03am On Feb 18, 2018
You probably had good intentions but now you're just equally guilty by throwing shades along with your refutation. BTW & FYI there are many people running bills over 300k monthly back home, no need to compare so it doesn't sound like you're belittling the hustle.

FastShipping:

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 4:07am On Feb 18, 2018
how will hollow block create greater sound barrier than solid?

Rubbiish:

Thank you sir!
Apart from the sound barrier because of the hollow, i see no need for using 6inches hollow.
Look too fragile to me, unless one is using 9inches hollow.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:58am On Feb 18, 2018
[center][/center]
FastShipping:

/
It is nothing about throwing shades.

I know folks that have mansions in Nigeria thst they stay in only about 2 weeks every two years. Someone well adapted in an organized society tend to have only emotional attachment to Nigeria. Some people stopped going frequently after their old parents passed away. I think a member here (Egunmogaji) mentioned that wifey and children do not want to move to Nigeria. Many people face the same dilemma. So why would any sane person in such situation sink funds in Nigeria just to impress God-knows-who?

Building a house in Nigeria for a diasporan living in US should be done with some loose change. It is not about affordability but prioritizing of wants. Personally, Nigeria starts boring the hell out of me after 2 weeks. When I get bored, I start building just for fun.

So person wey wan shade person here get im own mouth. Nigeria as a place no get joy at all in all indices of life. Quote me any day.
/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:43am On Feb 18, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 18, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 7:06am On Feb 18, 2018
EgunMogaji:

When I started the build of my house I was sure that I would need to bring a lot of things to my site from here.

Then I started seeing the Buy Naija, Grow Naira movement. Then I had the good fortune to meet a Togolese tiler who shared his experience with me.

I then went to the market in Ibadan and was amazed at what I was seeing.

This changed my opinion.

I’ll say this again, there’s nothing we have in the USA that’s nit available in Nigeria. And this is based on ordinary Ibadan. I’m sure the Lagos and Abuja market is even bigger.

Now, we may debate quality and stuff and the antics of our people in sourcing the cheapest product possible to sell. But with due diligence one can find acceptable products.

The part that’s confusing is the “self” part. It’s self leveling, not self spreading.

Basically the floor will be perfectly plumb when spread without the use of a leveling device.

After watching the video, i agree this cement will self level. It does that because of high viscosity just like custard powder would level itself after poking it with a finger.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.