Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,268 members, 7,846,255 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4465231 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (3686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:26pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

There was an artisan marketing stucco on here but most are not as web conscious as some of you guys. Some artisans haven't yet grasped the importance of web to their bottom line.

grin grin They were busy calling us names " The packager!" And I shook my heads in despair just as "Jesus wept"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 11:34pm On Dec 07, 2015
Haha, so what was the Bill? share with us please

brabus:

Paint name: Grafix

Price per drum: N7,000

Don't leap for joy o! I was so happy when I got the price and I told them to cover all the lower part of the building that hand can stain. When the bill came, I had to adjust. grin
But I didn't give up, I still went ahead to paint all the lower part of the building with the same paint but at my own pace.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:39pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'll rather go with this but I know hands will probably be tied by the Nigerian experience when I get to this point angry

Oga sir, are you copying me or is it vice-versa because we seem to have a lot in common.

I have a dedicated corner for the vertical garden with a custom built arbor. The plants should be mature by now.

O! My home!!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:03am On Dec 08, 2015
brabus:

Now you know! All these special paints are available here in Nigeria.
I wonder why we don't have many of these guys displaying their jobs on Nairaland.

The Legendary Trumpcoat does display some of those paints here on NL.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:22am On Dec 08, 2015
mufutau55:

The Legendary Trumpcoat does display some of those paints here on NL.

Hajji M.

Baba niyen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:56am On Dec 08, 2015
These are also on-going plastering jobs.
The walls are very smooth but Screeding will always be smoother if done well.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:09am On Dec 08, 2015
At our site in Mokola.. We opted to paint the wall of the Chairman's office without Screeding. (you can see the light green paint on the inside of the window). However after painting with emulsion, the finish wasnt good enough so we had to screed.

2nd picture is showing the wall painted after Screeding. As smooth and silky as a baby's butt. We painted with satin paint from Dulux. Costs about 17k or so for a 5 litre tin. While emulsion is 7,000 for that large 20litre drum.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:21am On Dec 08, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I like this and wouldn't even mind leaving the concrete finish and just applying sealer if done right.

If money wasn't an object I would have used a concrete pour for the entire building from foundation.

Wetin? Na maximum security Prison abi na Bank Vault? grin grin grin

Egun don start to throw stick again! shocked shocked

What about "heat retention" issues?

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:24am On Dec 08, 2015
brabus:

grin grin They were busy calling us names " The packager!" And I shook my heads in despair just as "Jesus wept"

Abeegi, dont rub it in joor, .....................Mr. Packager! tongue tongue tongue grin grin

Leave Jesus out of it

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:28am On Dec 08, 2015
abdulwastecx:
My rules are simple.
to have a good a very good finished wall you need to have a good stable wall that moisture will not rise through, will not crack due to settlement or over loading. You need to have a very good plaster sand, very good mix (preferably 1:1:4) and then all other things follows.

Those are the pictures from my ongoing work

Mehn! Those plasterings out are of this world!

So smooth .....l could touch it on my screen.

Nice one there.

If l may ask: this 1:1:4 represents x:y:z in that order.
What is x? y? and z? please.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 1:36am On Dec 08, 2015
lastpage:

Mehn! Those plasterings out are of this world!

So smooth .....l could touch it on my screen.

Nice one there.

If l may ask: this 1:1:4 represents x:y:z in that order.
What is x? y? and z? please.

Lastpage!

1 bag of cement : 1 pan of sharp sand : 4 pans of plaster sand

abdulwastecx:

1:1:4 one part of cement to one part sharp sand to four part of plaster sand.

One wheel barrow is equivalent to 4 head pan and one head pan have a weight of about 25kg , remember one tonne is equivalent to 1000kg.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:37am On Dec 08, 2015
lastpage:

Wetin? Na maximum security Prison abi na Bank Vault? grin grin grin

Egun don start to throw stick again! shocked shocked

What about "heat retention" issues?

Lastpage!

But it's not for security as much as it's for tranquility, concrete soothes my soul grin

The houses that I admire, the architecture that motivates me all have one thing in common. Pure concrete and unpainted surfaces.

As far as for heat, a well designed plan will not have heat issues. It's Nigerians with their claustrophobically small hallways and shoving ensuite into every nook and cranny that causes heat issues.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:38am On Dec 08, 2015
KolaShangOne:
At our site in Mokola.. We opted to paint the wall of the Chairman's office without Screeding. (you can see the light green paint on the inside of the window). However after painting with emulsion, the finish wasnt good enough so we had to screed.

2nd picture is showing the wall painted after Screeding. As smooth and silky as a baby's butt. We painted with satin paint from Dulux. Costs about 17k or so for a 5 litre tin. While emulsion is 7,000 for that large 20litre drum.

Finally, we are getting closer, bit by bit..... to the bottom of this 'Screeding' matter,

@Kolashang

Can you still break this "screed" down a lil'bit please.

1.) What is the material of the screed that you used, made of?

2.) Did you buy it off the shelf or you had to mix it yourself, from scratch or from bags of such materials

3.) Looking at it, l suspect it will be some semi-liquid (like when raw cement is mixed to a pasty form) form and do you have to use any particular equipment to apply it on the wall or is it done using the normal brush or roller, like a thick paint?

4.) I dont know how "old school" you are but how will you compare the Screed material (the paste), to our local "white Efun" (if made to the same thickness) or the use of the POP material, if we can make it to the same thickness as well.
(l am talking alternative 'material sourcing' here though l may be way off-mark in my assumptions)

Now that is what l call "baby schooling" for me! grin grin

Thanks for your informed response.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:44am On Dec 08, 2015
brabus:

Oga sir, are you copying me or is it vice-versa because we seem to have a lot in common.

I have a dedicated corner for the vertical garden with a custom built arbor. The plants should be mature by now.

O! My home!!

Let's just say that we both are close to nature.

I used to buy flowers/trees almost every weekend.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:47am On Dec 08, 2015
EgunMogaji:

But it's not for security as much as[b] it's for tranquility, concrete soothes my soul[/b] grin

The houses that I admire, the architecture that motivates me all have one thing in common. Pure concrete and unpainted surfaces.

As far as for heat, a well designed plan will not have heat issues. It's Nigerians with their claustrophobically small hallways and shoving ensuite into every nook and cranny that causes heat issues.

You are badt! very, very Badt! shocked shocked shocked

Honestly, it initially actually made me feel claustrophobic some decades back!
I had such experience, when l used to work in a Nigerian bank and l had to go into the Vault of each branch to install Cameras because some "invisible rat" was playing games with a few bundles of naira in our vaults!

Mehn, l felt like the walls were just about to crush me, even though they ain't moving at all, at times l feel dazed after a few minutes in there and at times, l just want out.

Come and see the Big pole l used in shocking the Head office Vault door.... like someone was going to forget and lock me inside! grin grin

With time, l got over it just a little as l have a little "safe house" with such 'spec' in my house but strictly for "digging-in", in case the unexpected happens and it is just a small area.
I dislike concrete though l can understand it has its own positive attributes and necessary uses.

That picture you served us looks so solid, for a house.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:49am On Dec 08, 2015
FastShipping:

1 bag of cement : 1 pan of sharp sand : 4 pans of plaster sand

Thanks! kiss kiss kiss

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:35am On Dec 08, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Let's just say that we both are close to nature.

I used to buy flowers/trees almost every weekend.

Respect!

Are you this close to nature? cool I wish I could show you the pictures of my monkeys. I have a bunch of them.

A place to be this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-VKa-bkWLI

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 6:12am On Dec 08, 2015
mufutau55:

So it's not that really expensive? And that 300K will cover both inside and outside? I have gotten a ridiculous estimate before when inquired.
If the cost is minimal, may be I need to join the band wagon; just for the fire and heat resistance safety thing. Thank you Dominionng.

Hajji M.

That's for internal walls Sir. Though Hajji can exclusively get it pretty lesser from dominionng. Kind regards...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:23am On Dec 08, 2015
brabus:

Respect!

Are you this close to nature? cool I wish I could show you the pictures of my monkeys. I have a bunch of them.

A place to be this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-VKa-bkWLI

Actually yes and way more than that. Not me personally but I have two brothers who are deep into koi pond.

My thing with nature are not necessarily zoological but more of botanical and horticulture.

I would rather have a hybrid tree that provides shade and has apple and maybe orange on it.

Or maybe even a cocoa tree or nurturing a flower or tree that shouldn't be able to grow in a certain zone to grow well.

PS: I salute your catfish farm but I try to only eat fishes grown in the wild.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:38am On Dec 08, 2015
^^^
Thanks for the compliment. When I grow up, I want to be like you.

You're always upfront with your needs and not wants.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 7:31am On Dec 08, 2015
brabus:

Option 2: Special Painting

Who needs screeding when you have this type of paints? And they last forever.

I hope this kind of paints won't be a race track for lizards and rats just like sandtex paint

I get lizards on my walls all the time you don't keep the door open at all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 8:09am On Dec 08, 2015
@KolaShangOne and @Brabus, thanks for the tips and pictures Sirs.

@Abdulwastecx, The assumption that "plastering can also be done to be smooth that you may not need to screed the wall" is totally wrong Sir! Just as it was pointed out in previous comments, without wall screeding/wall skimming/skim coat, one is limited to some brands of paints which is still OK. Probably it might not be necessary if you are applying some kind of paint texture such as knockdown or eggshell, but for smooth textures like Silk, Matt, reflective paints, other glossy or semi-glossy paints/modern faux paintings, you just don't wanna apply them on a nak3d concrete wall. "Baba Lati the Bricklayer" can only try Sir

Above all, "It all boils down to choice and size of wallet" -Brabus
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:19am On Dec 08, 2015
@Dominionng, you'll pay for using my lines o. Don't let the patrons of "Baba Lati" catch you.

In all, it was a nice discussion.

Good job Abdulwastecx. Good job KolaShangOne.

May God give us money to fulfill all our dreams. Amen! Make we no just dey answer "Mr Bankole" grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 9:32am On Dec 08, 2015
Good morning all,
enjoying the discussions so far
Please an amateur question:
- I know a 'special glue' is used to fix granite countertops on cabinets but how is granite countertops fixed on concrete slabs?
- I suspect cement but want to be really sure.
Thanks all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gbenke: 10:44am On Dec 08, 2015
peaceland:
Good morning all,
enjoying the discussions so far
Please an amateur question:
- I know a 'special glue' is used to fix granite countertops on cabinets but how is granite countertops fixed on concrete slabs?
- I suspect cement but want to be really sure.
Thanks all

Yes you are right .You use a mixture of sand and cement to screed so as to have a plummed surface before the application of cement and water then the slab. .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:52am On Dec 08, 2015
Has anyone seen a kind of kitchen whereby you cast it with blocks and also you can place marble/tiles etc as the worktop. I have seen a property advertised on NL where it appears the worktop was being lifted with some coaches of block, casted worktop and a surface or tiles/marble.

Are such kitchen worktops rather crude or practical and how does it compare to the wooded ones as we know it ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by greenermodels: 10:54am On Dec 08, 2015
coughs and clears throat, in all honesty, if screeding is really worth the expense, then nobody would need to argue so energetically for it. a good smooth plaster, textcote on external walls, emulsion on internal walls and 99% of Nigerians would won't even know the difference between a screeded and a non screeded wall if any. make una no go for my head o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:43pm On Dec 08, 2015
mavverick:
Has anyone seen a kind of kitchen whereby you cast it with blocks and also you can place marble/tiles etc as the worktop. I have seen a property advertised on NL where it appears the worktop was being lifted with some coaches of block, casted worktop and a surface or tiles/marble.

Are such kitchen worktops rather crude or practical and how does it compare to the wooded ones as we know it ?
was on a site yesterday saw it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 1:04pm On Dec 08, 2015
What did it look like?
is this something that can be used in commercial properties?

twinskenny:
was on a site yesterday saw it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
Concrete countertops is one of the solutions that I'm proposing for my build. Nearly indestructible and resistant to hot cooking pans.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Concrete countertops is one of the solutions that I'm proposing for my build. Nearly indestructible and resistant to hot cooking pans.

I thought it was only me who was looking in that direction, I asked a friend who is into real estate in Abuja, he shook his head and said NO. Maybe because of how I described it, it sounded barbaric but the point is that is it indestructible by the usual suspects, water, hot pots, lack of maintenance etc.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2015
I like that idea of being "indestructible" if one is unlucky to have some crazy tenants....

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (3686) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.