Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,230 members, 7,846,084 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4465035 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (3686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 5:06pm On Dec 07, 2015
Dominionng:

shocked shocked

Please permit me to point some things out before a novice stumble on this thread and make a decision based on the quoted.

Is Wall Screeding mandatory in home finishing? NO!

Is it necessary? YES!

Without wall screeding, what options do I have? Paint your wall textcoat paint or normal emulsion paint and keep repainting after a couple of Christmas since Modern silk and decorative paints is a joke on a nak*d concrete background(even if Baba Lati the bricklayer spends a decade plastering it)

Probably the comment is meant for those building for commercial purpose? If not, who builds a home he wanna reside in and think of ROI? Not everyone want to build their home like a low-cost housing estate! Coz I will have few cash left if I purchase a salvage option doesn't make clean titles cars "sheer waste of money"

Whoever said main purpose of wall screeding is to have smooth walls?

After all...

Dominionng:

May God bless your wisdom Sir. You are PRETTY good with words, I give you that! Probably you missed the discussion topic which is "Wall Screeding being a sheer waste of fund", because the epistle up there still didn't defend that. That assumption is WRONG! not partially, but TOTALLY!

Like I said, what option do one have without a good wall screeding? Prep your wall, paint it textcoat or normal emulsion and move on. You'd still have a good night rest. Can modern faux painting be applied on a nak*d concrete wall even if it prepped for a decade? NO! Probably you wanna change the NO to YES and let's deliberate on that.

Forget the so called screeding people do on walls this days, with the right mix and application, do you know that POP wall screeding is fire and heat resistance? Probably the former doesn't count but the latter is the main reason why it's widely accepted in Africa, South America and India. To call that "a sheer waste of fund" is a joke!

On the average, 300k for a standard fully detached duplex and half of that for a 3 bedroom bungalow on projects that cost millions, with its advantages, a sheer waste of funds? Please Bros...

Coincidentally, we deliberated on this on a thread few weeks back. These were my replies to some comments. Will be back to answer questions.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
lastpage:

Hajji M,

I have read where all our expert Builders (almost everyone of them) have pasted on their construction projects.. "Now we are into Screeding stage".

How come none of them can answer the question the gentle man asked?
I am trying to provoke someone to answer the question, though.

I have never done (that is if l even know) this thing they call "Screeding" in any of my builds but l do know that we use 'white chalk' (Efun, white plaster or what ever name you wish to call it) to paint the wall first, to allow the final colour to stand out. undecided

That is an age-old tradition ..... but this "Screeding" term got me all confused so, l need help there too.
Lastpage!

Bolded above, I think we are too old still following the old ways.. but it has worked for me... my wall does not need to be smooth.
May be our pros are too busy to answer the questions? smiley but you are right with your assumption above... I will keep using "Efun" until... I am appointed as one of the Minister...

Note: I don't doo screeding solely because I am poor.. may be when money comes.. I will also follow the rich guys.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 5:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 5:42pm On Dec 07, 2015
Haji M, You be Minister already ooo. We know your scope grin

[quote author=mufutau55 post=40780976]

Bolded above, I think we are too old still following the old ways.. but it has worked for me... my wall does not need to be smooth.
May be our pros are too busy to answer the questions? smiley but you are right with your assumption above... I will keep using "Efun" until... I am appointed as one of the Minister...

Note: I don't doo screeding solely because I am poor.. may be when money comes.. I will also follow the rich guys.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:48pm On Dec 07, 2015
Dominionng:

On the average, 300k for a standard fully detached duplex and half of that for a 3 bedroom bungalow on projects that cost millions, with its advantages, a sheer waste of funds? Please Bros...

Coincidentally, we deliberated on this on a thread few weeks back. These were my replies to some comments. Will be back to answer questions.

So it's not that really expensive? And that 300K will cover both inside and outside? I have gotten a ridiculous estimate before when inquired.
If the cost is minimal, may be I need to join the band wagon; just for the fire and heat resistance safety thing. Thank you Dominionng.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 07, 2015
Am I the only one thoroughly confused about this?

Someone should please explain in an elementary manner and preferably with pictures sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:53pm On Dec 07, 2015
befto:
Haji M, You be Minister already ooo. We know your scope grin

Hah! My brother. Nah so you wan kill me? May be Minister without portfolio on Nairaland o. smiley but we thank God sha.

Hajji M.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 6:10pm On Dec 07, 2015
lastpage:

Hajji M,

I have read where all our expert Builders (almost everyone of them) have pasted on their construction projects.. "Now we are into Screeding stage".

How come none of them can answer the question the gentle man asked?
I am trying to provoke someone to answer the question, though.

I have never done (that is if l even know) this thing they call "Screeding" in any of my builds but l do know that we use 'white chalk' (Efun, white plaster or what ever name you wish to call it) to paint the wall first, to allow the final colour to stand out. undecided

That is an age-old tradition ..... but this "Screeding" term got me all confused so, l need help there too.

@lastpage I am really shocked that every one dey bone that question. My worry is that the burning statement came from someone I know is quite involved in building...but the beauty and smoothness of it entices me.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 6:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
lastpage:

I actually dont mind folks "calling me out" .....as far as they are objective and factual about it. undecided

This my coconut head may even need replacement one of these days, so maybe they would be doing me a favour, by doing that!
shocked grin grin grin

"Screeding" Experts, make una come assist us for these B.I.G Kweshion!
I am not a screeding fan as i consider it to be a waste once one buys good plaster sand, mix 10 pan of plaster sand with 2 of sharp to 1 bag of cement and makes sure the plasterer makes it 1
inch thick I don't know why you would then need to screed on top of that.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:55pm On Dec 07, 2015
I am not a Screeding expert and though an expert (@Dominionng) is already answering, let me say something..

Screeding is diff from, and its done after plastering for some reasons.
-It gives a smoother wall finish than plastering. Why? Because the composition of Screeding material is in powder form (like powders women use).
-Original Screeding materials prevent have a certain resistance to fire. It burns but can still withstand fire to a. Certain temp.
-Heat resistant too
-It eliminates the need for 4-5 coats of paint especially for decked buildings

Its kinda expensive and I've only done it for internal walls. Just apply texcoat on outer walls and you're done

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
Dominionng:

And I said you win. It all boils down to choice and size of our wallet.

Even though I publicly condemn screeding walls on this forum. The place I didn't screed in my personal project is tiled (both internal and external). Where there are no tiles, grafix paint was applied. May God bless and forgive the hypocrisy in me.

But like dominionng rightly said, screeding your walls comes loaded with a lot of benefits and peace of mind.
Forget the smooth surface. There's more to screeding than achieving smooth surface.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:43pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Am I the only one thoroughly confused about this?

Someone should please explain in an elementary manner and preferably with pictures sad

Screeding in pics below. We screed because of imperfections and also for same reasons drywalls/plasterboards were used by you guys to achieve a smooth surface.

Some pics of before and after

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:49pm On Dec 07, 2015
More screeding before and after pics.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 07, 2015
brabus:

Screeding in pics below. We screed because of imperfections and also for same reasons drywalls/plasterboards were used by you guys to achieve a smooth surface.

Some pics of before and after

Okay got it.

This is non negotiable for me on certain walls.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
And even this...

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:57pm On Dec 07, 2015
plastering can also be done to be very smooth that you may not need to screed the wall.
here are some pics from my ongoing renovation work

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 10:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
Very nice. I like it

abdulwastecx:
plastering can also be done to be very smooth that you may not need to screed the wall.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:16pm On Dec 07, 2015
abdulwastecx:

We're not contesting that but definitely you're not planning to use Dulux sheen in the wall. If you're doing finecoat, you're may be fine.

I won't forget how this caused big trouble between myself and a Nairaland client on a renovation project.

He was so happy with the rooms we Screeded but the ones we painted without screeding nearly caused me my life until we fixed everything.

We've gone past those experiment stage. If you're not screeding, just get your emulsion and texcoat paints jeje.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 07, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I like this and wouldn't even mind leaving the concrete finish and just applying sealer if done right.

If money wasn't an object I would have used a concrete pour for the entire building from foundation.

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 07, 2015
brabus:

We're not contesting that but definitely you're not planning to use Dulux sheen in the wall. If you're doing finecoat, you're may be fine.

I won't forget how this caused big trouble between myself and a Nairaland client on a renovation project.

He was so happy with the rooms we Screeded but the ones we painted without screeding nearly caused me my life until we fixed everything.

We've gone past those experiment stage. If you're not screeding, just get your emulsion and texcoat paints jeje.

So there's an option.

Can you show pictorial evidence of the difference from the collection?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I like this and wouldn't even mind leaving the concrete finish and just applying sealer if done right.

If money wasn't an object I would have used a concrete pour for the entire building from foundation.

Baba, you can sand the wall using orbital sander with grit sandpaper and polish if it is a rendered wall.

If it's pure concrete, you'll need a more powerful tool and polish.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

i really like your taste size. i love those simple finishes too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:47pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

So there's an option.

Yes, there are lot of options but just as there's a big difference between heaven and earth, the difference between them is so clear.

Option 1: Bricklayer Rendering and Emulsion Paint.

I'll choose this option when considering fence, maintenance room, store, and other rooms alike. However, I'll do my best to make the finish look good with FEW decorative designs and blend of other elements such that whoever is looking at the painting won't see any imperfection.

Compare the 2 fences below, painted by the same Painter. We use the same paint but different design. Which one will you choose?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:50pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

So there's an option.

Option 2: Special Painting

Who needs screeding when you have this type of paints? And they last forever.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 10:53pm On Dec 07, 2015
Oga Brabus.
What kind/type of pain is this? I like this

brabus:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:03pm On Dec 07, 2015
befto:
Oga Brabus.
What kind/type of pain is this? I like this

Paint name: Grafix

Price per drum: N7,000

Don't leap for joy o! I was so happy when I got the price and I told them to cover all the lower part of the building that hand can stain. When the bill came, I had to adjust. grin
But I didn't give up, I still went ahead to paint all the lower part of the building with the same paint but at my own pace.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 07, 2015
brabus:

That is what we would call stucco over here.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

O! My home!! When shall I see my home.

All pics posted are last year pics of the Chateau De Brabus.

New year pics coming next week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:10pm On Dec 07, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Now you know! All these special paints are available here in Nigeria. I wonder why we don't have many of these guys displaying their jobs on Nairaland.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
brabus:

Yes, there are lot of options but just as there's a big difference between heaven and earth, the difference between them is so clear.

Option 1: Bricklayer Rendering and Emulsion Paint.

I'll choose this option when considering fence, maintenance room, store, and other rooms alike. However, I'll do my best to make the finish look good with FEW decorative designs and blend of other elements such that whoever is looking at the painting won't see any imperfection.

Compare the 2 fences below, painted by the same Painter. We use the same paint but different design. Which one will you choose?

I'll rather go with this but I know hands will probably be tied by the Nigerian experience when I get to this point angry

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:15pm On Dec 07, 2015
My rules are simple.
to have a good a very good finished wall you need to have a good stable wall that moisture will not rise through, will not crack due to settlement or over loading. You need to have a very good plaster sand, very good mix (preferably 1:1:4) and then all other things follows.

Those are the pictures from my ongoing work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 07, 2015
brabus:

Now you know! All these special paints are available here in Nigeria. I wonder why we don't have many of these guys displaying their jobs on Nairaland.

There was an artisan marketing stucco on here but most are not as web conscious as some of you guys. Some artisans haven't yet grasped the importance of web to their bottom line.

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (3686) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: OkanlawonB(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.