Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Two Job Offers. I Am Confused - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Two Job Offers. I Am Confused (22710 Views)

Help Me Choose Between These Two Job Offers / I got two Job Offers, which should I choose? I'm Confused..... Advice Please!!!! / Two Job Offers Can't Decide To Pick One Pls Help!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by OShepherd: 9:31pm On Aug 26, 2015
Craven:
Mean? So you would rather remain with a company that doesn't encourage your growth because you are afraid quitting would be mean? Don't be silly.

You have the opportunity to work in a company looking to invest in your growth. There aren't much companies like that. If I were in your shoes, I'd grab that opportunity. Never let a good opportunity pass you by because you are afraid someone will get hurt. Remember that growth and self-development are very essential in any line of work, and any company that isn't willing to provide the opportunity for you to grow isn't worth it.
Best & Surest advice of all- I swear!
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by wizzy10(m): 9:37pm On Aug 26, 2015
@Taiw,Remember a song by Drake which says Started from the bottom now we here.I know u understand dat word.Elijah has to complete from running away because of death.He was taken away to heaven because he seeked for protection from death.Later on he came in the flesh of John the baptist to die a shameful death.@Taiw,i hope u understand my word.Make the right choice.Learn what u know in order to create a new solution.You can become a leader in the sub-company with more wealth.Nobody can solve your problem except you and don't forget to have a good relationship with God.
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by jabojafa(m): 10:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
shizzy7:
So you would choose your WIFE over your MOM based on the above...
OR don't you love your MOM first,, then your WIFE
who is that wise man that said what you typed up there??
you cant compare d love for mother n for wife. Dey r 2paralle lines. D relatnshp a man hs with is mum and wife are not d same.
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by jabojafa(m): 10:31pm On Aug 26, 2015
kestolove95:
Come and work for me
wot ar u offering?
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 26, 2015
it is up to you to sit down and decide what you want for you life... you would not always make the right decisions but you can always learn from any mistakes that you make.
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by EdgeUp: 10:39pm On Aug 26, 2015
this OP no get sense o! so the beginning and end of your dilemma is that of shuttling btwn mainland and island shocked.
you dont have a problem at all
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by Originalsly: 11:39pm On Aug 26, 2015
Taiw:
Yes you are all right. What is making me not to feel good is quitting without notice. I mean collecting my first and last pay on friday and bouncing off on monday. It sounds too mean.
Leave feelings out of business...especially when you are dealing with a large company. Do you think they for a second think about your commitments and family if somebody better than you comes along ?....they'll fire you and wouldn't even say why. @topic....the start up company is trying to find its way.... you are key at the moment....but don't believe because you lay the groundwork they will keep you if and when all goes well. The second company is already offering you free upgrade courses. Most likely if you need get your Masters they may also fund that....give you the necessary time off....we'd may even pay tuition. .... and most likely your job would be guaranteed since they invested in you. Your dream job is staring at you with eyes wide open....grab it.

1 Like

Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by mickey45: 11:46pm On Aug 26, 2015
Taiw:
Yes you are all right. What is making me not to feel good is quitting without notice. I mean collecting my first and last pay on friday and bouncing off on monday. It sounds too mean.

It's normal I think
And it can be to their benefit later, say after you've really cut your teeth and become expert at the better job
, you then start consulting for them.

if you can, you can recommend someone you know is good for them to employ.

Take note however that even though you might be the only one there now, what do you think will happen should they find someone they think is more valuable than you.

Businesses are often less about the personalities than about whatever/whoever will increase profits and efficiency, blame capitalism.
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by kestolove95(m): 1:04am On Aug 27, 2015
jabojafa:
wot ar u offering?
u not d op na, I will like d op to quote me
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by oladeledave: 1:59am On Aug 27, 2015
Thank God is not a marketing job, jus follow ur church mind
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by 6fit(f): 3:38am On Aug 27, 2015
Taiw:
I just got employed to work in a startup sub-company(formed as a result of diversification) that is leveraging on her parent company(an engineering firm). The sub-company is into eCommerce and I am the only software guy handling the platform using opensource. I feel I am not really learning anything new, I code less and besides the company is yet to make her first sales. We are still putting things in place with the support of the parent company. The job is on the mainland and I stay on the mainland. The fear is that i will be under pressure especially if sales are not coming in

While trying to settle down, an IT firm came calling. I kept posting them by delaying my resumption date but they want me on board as soon as possible. As a matter of fact, they want me to start next week. I even tried to renegotiate salary even though both salaries are almost the same. They are offering to make me undergo a 6 months training in advance programming during my probation period. Its a place for me to learn more and is inline with my career ambition considering my degree and the fact that I love programming. The bad side is that the job is on the island and I will spend more. Its an already established firm with headquarter in usa. While the former is just starting out, but her parent company also has offices in usa and uk and are ready to patronize the sub company.

I plan to start my masters(full-time) in unilag very soon which is inline my the latter. shuffling the masters programme with island will be a bit difficult than on the mainland.

What do you advise?

take d job with more career prospect and job security. Distance shuldnt come first. Poeple work in lagos n live Ibadan. Ensure u transfer d alternative forgon to a jobless dude.guduck
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by favourmic(m): 5:24am On Aug 27, 2015
armadeo:
Praise the Lord somebody. Remember to pay your tithe

Funny nah tithe he ask or advise
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by igbanbajo(m): 6:33am On Aug 27, 2015
Simple.

Go for the second job with much opportunity for training and development. You'll need it soon. Remember that you may/will need to move on to better jobs/opportunities in future, all that you learned and all that you did in your previous job would count and help with bargaining for a more robust remuneration package as well as job cadre.

It's not mean to leave a current employer as the employer wouldn't blink an eye if tables were turned and they need to right-size. Just ensure you inform your current boss.

As a young man, the additional stress of working on the Island shouldn't scare you. Now is the time to work and reap the benefits later. Masters degree can be done later, UNILAG or any other school including overseas ones are always there. Besides, in your line of business, IT certifications are better recognised than academic degrees. Think about this well.

Go for the best, may Allah assist you.
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by dulphines: 7:49am On Aug 27, 2015
Taiw:

Wait until you are layed off without them considering how you will survive, then you will know they are meaner. lol
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by UjSizzle(f): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2015
mrkels:

How can one differentiate wanted from needed.

I need a high paying job, I also want a high paying job! See what I am talking about?

As for the wifey thing, I already made the mistake a long time ago, that's not ''wifing'' my university girlfriend, I mean that was the only girl that saw me for who I really was then, when I was just a young lad with virtually almost nothing. I wonder how I ll be able to correct that one.
Yes, of course we all want a job that pays well. But like Jaybee said, what are your career aspirations? It can't be all money, is it So money, check. What else is on that list?

We all make mistakes and we all get second chances. I imagine she has already been wifed?
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by jaybee3(m): 8:39am On Aug 27, 2015
mrkels:

How can one differentiate wanted from needed.

I need a high paying job, I also want a high paying job! See what I am talking about?

As for the wifey thing, I already made the mistake a long time ago, that's not ''wifing'' my university girlfriend, I mean that was the only girl that saw me for who I really was then, when I was just a young lad with virtually almost nothing. I wonder how I ll be able to correct that one.
Dude you can want/need a high paying job like we all do but may not be qualified for one hence the need to be realistic with your expectations.

Sometimes you need to look beyond the salary but instead pay attention to the whole package on offer to see if it matches your career aspirations.

Are they offering you opportunities to learn and develop by way of investment in your career
Do they have flexibility surrounding working hours?
Have they got generous A/L entitlement?
Do they have structured opportunity for lateral and/or upward movement?

Those are the key criterion you should be using in deciding your career move
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by UjSizzle(f): 8:47am On Aug 27, 2015
jaybee3:

Dude you can want/need a high paying job like we all do but may not be qualified for one hence the need to be realistic with your expectations.

Sometimes you need to look beyond the salary but instead pay attention to the whole package on offer to see if it matches your career aspirations.

Are they offering you opportunities to learn and develop by way of investment in your career
Do they have flexibility surrounding working hours?
Have they got generous A/L entitlement?
Do they have structured opportunity for lateral and/or upward movement?

Those are the key criterion you should be using in deciding your career move
I have a crush on you wink
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by Faita: 8:54am On Aug 27, 2015
@Taiw, it's wrong to break an agreement or commitment just because you appear to find a more appealing option. That's the moral side to your question. You can leave that job but you must do so according in a morally satisfying fashion. Give them time and help to replace you especially since you're a critical part of the work they're doing.

As a bonus, let me mention that if you pull your weight in a new outfit well enough, you can practically call the shots on how they help you advance in your career.

It is helpful too to remember that this is a progressive company you're currently working with. They're expanding. That means that they intend to go even farther than they have. Ideally, that is a perfect reason to believe that they will always be reaching for new heights. Working with them when they are still this young means that your impact will have farther reach than it would if they were bigger and far more established.

Despite all that, the second option might be better for you but if you must take it, don't do so in an unduly damaging manner to the first.

@mrkels, my advice is to identify specific career goals and decide which option best helps you achieve them. Then if you must leave your current appointment, do so in an orderly fashion or see if you can work out a situation where your current employer will take responsibility to help you achieve those goals in exchange for the retaining of your services.

As for a wife, there is nothing more key to the fulfillment of a life's worth than the partner that helps you and accompanies you on the journeys of life. Step up the search, I'll say. If you wasted an opportunity and can get it back, try to get it back. If it's gone, use the parameters of that opportunity to fine tune your new search.

Don't assume that you can meet the right woman just anywhere. The right woman did not fall out of the sky. She's a human being with human needs and character. You'll find her where people like her tend to gather. It could be at work or at a community initiative where she is offering her time and skill in some humanitarian effort to make life better for other people. She might be relaxing at the movies at the end of a long day. Or she might just be walking on the beach taking in the sights.

The key all the time is to identify what kind of person you want and where they are most likely to be and how they are best to be approached. If you play it anyhow you may never find her because life is not chaos.

I hope I've helped, guys. I wish you well. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by jabojafa(m): 9:09am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
u not d op na, I will like d op to quote me
d op might not even b interested in if nt he wud hv quoted u.
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by demarc001: 10:01am On Aug 27, 2015
The confusion here is that you have two choices.

Simple solution- be a cheerful giver, give me one and take one!
Re: Two Job Offers. I Am Confused by DolaPat: 2:16pm On Aug 27, 2015
you beta join the structured company. one man business is a NO- NO!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chat Between A Job Seeker And A Customer Service Assistant / See The Fake Job Invite My Mum Got / I Got Sacked After Asking For My Four Month Salary.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.