Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria (58546 Views)

Payporte Staff Not Paid Salary In Months – Pension And Tax Not Remitted In Years / FG Pays 81 Months Pension Arrears / Workers To Access 25% Pension Savings For Mortgage …to Forfeit Lump Sum Payment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 7:03pm On Aug 27, 2015
LaurelP:

Hi,
Pls what's the right percentage dat shud be deducted for pension from an employee? For instance if am earning 45k, wat shud be my pension contribution and wat shud d employer contribute?

Employers are compelled to contribute 10% while employees are to contribute 8%.

Making 18% in total
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 7:09pm On Aug 27, 2015
dhardline:

If i retire at 60years after working for 30years and live to 100years will the PFA's keep paying me for the next 40years?

If you answer yes to this then you are indirectly tellin me the PFA will pay me far more than the

Period i worked and how much will i be paid monthly for that 40years?

Oga this is simple logic,its not rocket science.

You say its designed to last the life time of the pensioner because the average life expectancy of

a nigerian is 52.what then happens to those who refuse to die even at 100?

There's a ratio of calculation. There is a template calculator that is used.

On the average, what's the age of death? How many people die at 100?
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Jonwesley(m): 7:24pm On Aug 27, 2015
micklplus:

Like I stated earlier, the pension industry is closely regulated by national pension commission and pfas get approval for every and anything.

The payment template is structured by Pencom and until otherwise stated, there isn't much pfas can do.

The primary aim of the pension scheme is for contributors to set aside funds for when they not active any longer and pension account isn't a conventional account when contributors can draw down at will

Okay, thanks all the same. I will wait till then.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by tobechukwuka(m): 8:38pm On Aug 27, 2015
@Mr. OP from where did you get this misleading information you shared here? I disputed on some of your analysis here.
Why do you said that programmed withdrawal pays retiree that are under it for a life time while annuity pay for a period of 10years and no entitlement for the beneficiary of the retiree after his/her demise?

PenCom Advises Retirees on Annuity Option.
National Pension Commission (Pencom) has advised retirees who are not comfortable with the programmed withdrawal that they maintain with Pension Fund Administrators (PFAs) to switch over annuity.
The commission advised them to use the balance on such accounts to buy life annuity products from insurance companies as a way of ensuring that they get pension for life. Many retirees under contributory pension who may have opted for programmed withdrawal as a way of drawing their pension without giving the necessary thought to it have been complaining to PenCom.
The Director - General of the commission, Mr. Muhammad Ahmed gave this advice in an interview with THISDAY, pointing out that the law allows retirees to even use the balance of their programmed withdrawal to buy life annuity products.
Pensioners have been worried that such payouts under programmed withdrawals usually last between 15 and 20 years, wondering what would be their fate should they outlive the paytouts. According to the director-general, retirees can move from programmed withdrawal to annuity, but added that the law does not allow them to do otherwise.
If you dont want programmed withdrawal, you go for annuity, and even if you chose programmed withdrawal the law provides that you can switch over to annuity. The only thing is that you can cannot switch over from annuity to programmed withrawal, Ahmed warned.
He also reminded both retirees and the working people that the choice to move from programmed withdrawal to life annuity is theirs to make.
If you have a programmed withdrawal and you dont feel happy with it, you can take the whole balance and buy an annuity and then fold my arms because i know that the insurance company will give me Nx amount of money for the rest of my life. So the options are there and it is that of the employee, the director-general said.

For more inquiries contact me or if you want to invest in insurance company which has a 100percent dividends of benefits more better than having your money for a fixed deposit in the bank.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by igbanbajo(m): 9:53pm On Aug 27, 2015
Bookmarked.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19pm On Aug 27, 2015
micklplus:

You are wrong. With Pencom regulations, Pension Adminstration in Nigeria is not only strong but almost strictly regulated. Most Pfas pay their retirees on the 16th of every month.

The oldies fail to retire as a result of their greed
If there was no room for greed, the "oldies " won't be.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by zazzi: 6:27am On Aug 28, 2015
I think you are a learner on Pension matters. Have u heard of LOA that is letter of administration? Do PFAs pay named beneficiaries without LOA? What is the cost of getting a LOA and for how long? Wise up!!!
ayandee:
I've always asked why anyone would consider an annuity. I prefer the programmed withdrawal from PFA over annuity. If a retiree dies, his beneficiaries receive in full the balance of whatever is left from the PFA. With annuity, the beneficiaries receive less as some deductions are usually made by insurance companies. Avoid annuity as much as possible.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by spiralwedge(m): 6:37am On Aug 28, 2015
maxiuc:
Where is my father he should come oo this thread is for him

I dey here my son..
my son maxiuc, when you go send me my monthly chop money? and the recharge cards?grin grin
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by exactly77(m): 8:29am On Aug 28, 2015
Good info. thanks for sharing.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by doncholino(m): 9:13am On Aug 28, 2015
dovelike:
I don't think pension is very strong in Nigeria. That's why most of the seniors refuse to retire. They are scared of dying of hunger because the govt. don't really pay attention to pensioners. Therefore,decreasing job opportunity for the new graduates and eligible youths in Nigeria.

Creating job opportunities can start with retiring those old men from the office and taking good care of them,then we will be able to occupy those spaces.

PFA 's are sweet-coated marketers when they prospect for clients. they deliberately overblow service expectations and promises they don't keep. but when a Senior retires, entitlements are delayed with unending bauracractic processes

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by ayandee: 3:21pm On Aug 28, 2015
Letter of administration is only needed where the deceased retiree did not make a will. If you're approaching retirement, common sense dictates that you should have a will. It makes things easier for your beneficiaries when approaching the PFA. I maintain that programmed withdrawal is better than an annuity.
zazzi:
I think you are a learner on Pension matters. Have u heard of LOA that is letter of administration? Do PFAs pay named beneficiaries without LOA? What is the cost of getting a LOA and for how long? Wise up!!!
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by sirscripture: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2015
micklplus:

You are the one that def doesnt know how the scheme works. Why do you think Nigeria Army opted out of the mess? It is a scam and people nw realise it. Do you think alot of people would not have gone a different direction if it is not mandatory?
I dont know why you are bringing the subject of insurance here when we have not digressed from the so-called penscam....

You have a wrong orientation about pension scheme and I think you are making a mistake of thinking pension is insurance.

Read the article again and get more information about pension administration in NIGERIA.

Cheers
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by sirscripture: 3:32pm On Aug 28, 2015
micklplus:

You have a wrong orientation about pension scheme and I think you are making a mistake of thinking pension is insurance.

Read the article again and get more information about pension administration in NIGERIA.

Cheers

You are the one that def doesnt know how the scheme works. Why do you think Nigeria Army opted out of the mess? It is a scam and people nw realise it. Do you think alot of people would not have gone a different direction if it is not mandatory?
I dont know why you are bringing the subject of insurance here when we have not digressed from the so-called penscam....
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by sirscripture: 3:41pm On Aug 28, 2015
micklplus:

Employers are compelled to contribute 10% while employees are to contribute 8%.

Making 18% in total

That is wrong.
Employers are compelled to pay a minimum of 7.5% while employees are to contribute 7.5% also, totalling 15%. This is the standard and i dont know where you got your own calculator from...
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 4:30pm On Aug 28, 2015
sirscripture:

That is wrong.
Employers are compelled to pay a minimum of 7.5% while employees are to contribute 7.5% also, totalling 15%. This is the standard and i dont know where you got your own calculator from...

Get Knowledge Bro.
There is no gain wallowing in ignorance.
Please, don't argue because you feel you should. Always argue for knowledge sake.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 4:32pm On Aug 28, 2015
sirscripture:

While it is obvious you don't know what you are talking about, it is equally amusing at how blind you argue.
Do you know whats called closed PFA?

Like I said, get knowledge bro.
Cheers
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2015
ayandee:
Letter of administration is only needed where the deceased retiree did not make a will. If you're approaching retirement, common sense dictates that you should have a will. It makes things easier for your beneficiaries when approaching the PFA. I maintain that programmed withdrawal is better than an annuity.

You are a sensible person.
People should be opened to knowledge. it doesn't kill.

Be blessed bro. Cheers
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2015
doncholino:

PFA 's are sweet-coated marketers when they prospect for clients. they deliberately overblow service expectations and promises they don't keep. but when a Senior retires, entitlements are delayed with unending bauracractic processes

Most times, contributors/employers are at fault yet , they blame PFAs for all their issues.
what should PFAs do when documentations are messed up as a result of error from contributors/employers despite several advices/orientation given to them by the PFAs?

A messed up documentations would delay processing even in America!
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by zazzi: 5:06am On Sep 01, 2015
Honestly speaking, what percentage of Nigerian workers write Wills before they die? We live in africa where people equate the writing of Wills to wanting their death. Besides, do lawyers write and lodge Wills with probate registry for free? Be sincere with your self.
ayandee:
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Sunnypar(m): 11:24am On Sep 01, 2015
UjSizzle:
You know before all these, PenCom needs to find a way to nab employers who fail to deduct pension from the employee gross emolument, and those who deduct and fail to remit to the PFC.
I don't get the point of passing the Pension Act if there won't be a follow-up to ensure its administered. Pay attention to employers and enforce like taxes are administered in Nigeria! We have so many people who exploit others, it's unfair.

But before this masses need education. How many people know that they're entitled in the contributory pension scheme to have an 8% deduction from their gross emolument, and 10% employer contribution?
How many are aware that this fund should be remitted within 7days to the PFCs?
And that the Act (amended 2014) empowers PenCom to file criminal charges against employers who default?

8% of total emoluments where there is no basic pay. If there is basic pay, 8% of basic pay.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by harveyspec: 11:38am On Sep 21, 2015
micklplus:

Cheers

I have been working with my present firm since 2013 & there hasn't been any pension scheme, now the company wants to start

Am I entitled to ask for arrears?(the 10%, that the company ought to have been contributing since the date of my employment)

Can I write a petition to Pencom?

CC:realwvn
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 5:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
harveyspec:

I have been working with my present firm since 2013 & there hasn't been any pension scheme, now the company wants to start

Am I entitled to ask for arrears?(the 10%, that the company ought to have been contributing since the date of my employment)

Can I write a petition to Pencom?

CC:realwvn

It might be a lil difficult if your company hasn't been deducting from your salary since 2013. Can you confirm if your company had deducted pension contributions from your salary?

If your company had deducted, you can write Pencom, your arrears would be paid and infact, Interest Penalty would also be paid.

Would you be willing to pay your own part of the arrears of 8% assuming your company hasn't been deducting from your salary since 2013?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by harveyspec: 8:50pm On Sep 21, 2015
micklplus:

It might be a lil difficult if your company hasn't been deducting from your salary since 2013. Can you confirm if your company had deducted pension contributions from your salary?

If your company had deducted, you can write Pencom, your arrears would be paid and infact, Interest Penalty would also be paid.

Would you be willing to pay your own part of the arrears of 8% assuming your company hasn't been deducting from your salary since 2013?

They haven't been making deductions, it wasn't even stated in my terms of employment

Yes, I'm willing, now that they want to start, I don't mind paying 16% (8% for the present & 8% for the arrears)

but you know the issue is threat of being sacked!!!
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by micklplus(m): 4:56am On Sep 22, 2015
harveyspec:

They haven't been making deductions, it wasn't even stated in my terms of employment

Yes, I'm willing, now that they want to start, I don't mind paying 16% (8% for the present & 8% for the arrears)

but you know the issue is threat of being sacked!!!

Before the reformed pension act 2014, the contributory scheme is 7.5% from employee and employer making 15%.

From what I have seen around, most people wait till they leave the company before they demand for their pension arrears. In that case, issue of victimisation won't come up.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by kkoffo(m): 2:42pm On Jan 11, 2016
Please do PFA pay all the balance to the next of kin on the LOA when processing death benefits or instalments.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Prettyugly: 1:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
"What happens in the event of death?

If one is on the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS) and dies either in active service or after retirement, the next-of-kin as provided by the deceased to the PFA will be contacted to provide relevant documents for processing the contributions. The contributions will be paid to the named beneficiary in the WILL of the Letter of Administration. "

What happens if the person was not on Contributory Pension Scheme?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Sunnypar(m): 1:19pm On Jan 18, 2016
Those PFa are thieves
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by kkoffo(m): 2:41pm On Jan 20, 2016
Sunnypar:
Those PFa are thieves

Please share your experience with us why do you say so.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Sunnypar(m): 7:21pm On Jan 27, 2016
Prettyugly:
"What happens in the event of death?

If one is on the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS) and dies either in active service or after retirement, the next-of-kin as provided by the deceased to the PFA will be contacted to provide relevant documents for processing the contributions. The contributions will be paid to the named beneficiary in the WILL of the Letter of Administration. "

What happens if the person was not on Contributory Pension Scheme?
The state the documents. Thank you.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Sunnypar(m): 7:23pm On Jan 27, 2016
zazzi:
Honestly speaking, what percentage of Nigerian workers write Wills before they die? We live in africa where people equate the writing of Wills to wanting their death. Besides, do lawyers write and lodge Wills with probate registry for free? Be sincere with your self.
Thumbs up.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by Sunnypar(m): 7:24pm On Jan 27, 2016
kkoffo:

Please share your experience with us why do you say so.
They would collect 10% of the total sum of money plus management fees. You are not ft with nothing. If you don't know your way around.... Sorry. Letter of administration first before they even listen to you. But when they come for the pension advert, they lick your behind.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About Pension In Nigeria by biabalu: 5:37am On Aug 17, 2016
Good Morning. I have a question. I went to the government civil servant building after my Dad's death and was told that I as the beneficiary would not be entitled to any pension 5 years after my father's retirement. He retired in 1993 and passed away last year. I was wondering if someone here could confirm this for me and if this is true, provide the source to the government pension fund website where it states this. I have been researching this for the past few days but can not find any information on this. Can someone help me. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Who Returned N1.8m Mistakenly Paid To Her Gets Query From Kogi Govt. / Mechatronics Engineering In Nigeria / Any Information About Trade Test 1, 2 And 3 Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.