Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,640 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! (45490 Views)

Akwa Ibom Science College Where Students Are Raised In Squalour / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 / How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by fineyemi(m): 11:45am On Aug 28, 2015
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by dannyduks: 11:55am On Aug 28, 2015
It is true but sometimes it is obvious that some marker delibrately mark you down all in the name of victimising the student.
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by tchijay: 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
psychologist term this the attribution theory..... the situational attribution and dispositional attribution..... which says we tend to attrributes positive outcome to oneself and negative as regards d environment
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by eghuan1(m): 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
MadCow1:
UNIBEN students no dey get sense normally.

The only course a UNIBEN student gets an A in is Animal Husbandry..

angry

e be like say hall 4 heat don de worry you small small
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by yommen: 12:11pm On Aug 28, 2015
Behira:
Looool......but dats because somtymz wen u examine the answers u wrote dwn on the failed cos, u wud notice dat u definately did not fail that course.

Na you be the examiner
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by oyeezah(f): 12:23pm On Aug 28, 2015
Dolypson04:
When we pass, we proudly claim the glory but when things do not come the way we wanted it, we shift the blame.
I asked a colleague about her result just the week, she told me it was fine. I asked for a particular course we all dreaded and she proudly said " I had A in it". I requested for another course and she replied; " They gave me 32 (F). In my subconscious state, I asked, "Who gave you"?.
The statement is very common in our secondary and tertiary institutions. By the way, why do we always "HAVE" A while they always "GIVE" us F?
funny and true. nobody wants to be labelled a failure, that is y people often shift blames for their failure
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by 5solas(m): 12:56pm On Aug 28, 2015
Dolypson04:
When we pass, we proudly claim the glory but when things do not come the way we wanted it, we shift the blame.
I asked a colleague about her result just the week, she told me it was fine. I asked for a particular course we all dreaded and she proudly said " I had A in it". I requested for another course and she replied; " They gave me 32 (F). In my subconscious state, I asked, "Who gave you"?.
The statement is very common in our secondary and tertiary institutions. By the way, why do we always "HAVE" A while they always "GIVE" us F?
grin
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by toprealman: 12:56pm On Aug 28, 2015
OP ARE YOU A MONITORING SPIRIT?
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by shut(f): 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hahaha no one works to fail,so it's either he harvested an A or the devil forced a F on him cheesy
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by shut(f): 1:05pm On Aug 28, 2015
kaycodes:
It's simple really.
Students don't take responsibility for their performance or studies anymore.

After leaving the university with a 3rd Class, I had to sit down and tell myself the truth.
Yes I had never been a dull student
Yes I had an excellent track record at primary and secondary school

I went back and saw why and how I failed, I knew where I made mistakes...
Moving forward I made adjustments, today I work with an international organisation, and I never had to present my degree wink

If you can't track why you failed, how will you ever become successful?

I'm searching for inspiration kinda.

So what did you discover made you fail and how did you tackle it
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by baloney: 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2015
jaygem:

These little girl might make a good scientist
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Franchise21(m): 2:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
MadCow1:

angry
What is dis one even saying seff
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by MizFrances(f): 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
MadCow1:

angry

Sharrap jor undecided
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by MadCow1: 2:27pm On Aug 28, 2015
MizFrances:

Sharrap jor undecided

Are you a UNIBEN Alumni?

1 Like

Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by MadCow1: 2:28pm On Aug 28, 2015
Franchise21:
What is dis one even saying seff

If you can't read nor understand what I am saying, blame UNIBEN not me.

Thanks.
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by charlsecy(m): 2:40pm On Aug 28, 2015
I have never failed as a university student.
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by kaycodes: 2:51pm On Aug 28, 2015
shut:

I'm searching for inspiration kinda.

So what did you discover made you fail and how did you tackle it

Good question.

Two factors actually.

1. Immaturity: Yea, this was a major blunder on my part, I got into the university at 19, at a time where the average age for gaining admission was between 20 - 24. I felt it was still like the secondary school system where I could just listen to my teachers and grab everything they said, then read a few days to the exams and pass with flying colours. Out here it was a different ball game entirely. Lecturers won't come to class, and when they eventually did, some couldn't even pass their message accross properly, yes, that's the system of education in most Nigerian schools. I was not prepared for this method of learning, I needed to adjust very fast, but I couldn't. Long hours of reading was never my thing, so it was a struggle in my first 2 years. Again I never understood the trick behind using past questions to study, I never did even when preparing for WAEC/NECO I just followed the syllabus or class notes. At university level, you can actually study just past questions and come out with good grades, sad but true.

2. Wrong Course: Maybe just maybe if I had done computer science instead of mechanical engineering, my passion would have driven me beyond my abilities, but alas, I was in mechanical engineering because I wanted to work for an oil company. Well that ain't happening any time soon, and besides I would rather work for Microsoft than Chevron any day.

What I did
I changed my mindset about the system. The system was not made for me... I needed to adjust to the system, I started learning how things really worked, past questions became my new textbooks, and even if nothing changed, at least my result actually changed. year 3 4 5 was enough to give me a 2.1, but with a terrible 100level, and not too good 200level, 3rd Class was the only thing I could manage out. With plenty of Abeg. At this point I just wanted out of the system, I really didn't care what I came out with. I had 2 extra years, yes, 2 extra years.

When I graduated, I did a lot of self motivation, because if you hear the way companies carry on about 2.1, you would think that it was the end of the world to achieve that feat.
Most of my family friends quickly used that as a criteria not to offer help, but I ignored them altogether.
At this point I realised that only God can help me if I really wanted to live my dreams. I started by defining what I wanted to do, already I knew I had a passion for computers, so that will be my ticket out... I learnt everything I could on Windows, within a short while I could troubleshoot hardware and software issues like a pro. I used professional simulators to learn as fast as I could, yet no onw would hire me as a computer engineer because I didnt have certs, well, I wanted to get them but the money was not there. Anyway I continued doing what I love while managing a job by the side.
Now if you see my CV, you won't believe that I had a 3rd Class.

Thanks to God's divine favour, I saw a job that needed my computer skills with a reputable software organisation, I applied, went through personality tests, instead of the 2.1 screening criteria that our lazy Nigerian HR and companies are used to. I passed, today I get paid in USD.

So simply put, take responsibilities for your failure, and you'll find a way out. I could have blamed my lecturers, blamed the system, or even blamed my parents for not being able to afford the kind of schools I was used to at secondary level, but I realised early enough that success is a choice, failure is also a choice.

Finally always remember that failure is usually a catalyst to become better if you choose to see it that way. Find what you love to do, and follow it with all your heart.. it will open more doors for you that any Grade can and ever will.

Got to get back to work. Hope you got the inspiration you need.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by shut(f): 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2015
kaycodes:

Good question.

Two factors actually.

1. Immaturity: Yea, this was a major blunder on my part, I got into the university at 19, at a time where the average age for gaining admission was between 20 - 24. I felt it was still like the secondary school system where I could just listen to my teachers and grab everything they said, then read a few days to the exams and pass with flying colours. Out here it was a different ball game entirely. Lecturers won't come to class, and when they eventually did, some couldn't even pass their message accross properly, yes, that's the system of education in most Nigerian schools. I was not prepared for this method of learning, I needed to adjust very fast, but I couldn't. Long hours of reading was never my thing, so it was a struggle in my first 2 years. Again I never understood the trick behind using past questions to study, I never did even when preparing for WAEC/NECO I just followed the syllabus or class notes. At university level, you can actually study just past questions and come out with good grades, sad but true.

2. Wrong Course: Maybe just maybe if I had done computer science instead of mechanical engineering, my passion would have driven me beyond my abilities, but alas, I was in mechanical engineering because I wanted to work for an oil company. Well that ain't happening any time soon, and besides I would rather work for Microsoft than Chevron any day.

What I did
I changed my mindset about the system. The system was not made for me... I needed to adjust to the system, I started learning how things really worked, past questions became my new textbooks, and even if nothing changed, at least my result actually changed. year 3 4 5 was enough to give me a 2.1, but with a terrible 100level, and not too good 200level, 3rd Class was the only thing I could manage out. With plenty of Abeg. At this point I just wanted out of the system, I really didn't care what I came out with. I had 2 extra years, yes, 2 extra years.

When I graduated, I did a lot of self motivation, because if you hear the way companies carry on about 2.1, you would think that it was the end of the world to achieve that feat.
Most of my family friends quickly used that as a criteria not to offer help, but I ignored them altogether.
At this point I realised that only God can help me if I really wanted to live my dreams. I started by defining what I wanted to do, already I knew I had a passion for computers, so that will be my ticket out... I learnt everything I could on Windows, within a short while I could troubleshoot hardware and software issues like a pro. I used professional simulators to learn as fast as I could, yet no onw would hire me as a computer engineer because I didnt have certs, well, I wanted to get them but the money was not there. Anyway I continued doing what I love while managing a job by the side.

Thanks to God's divine favour, I saw a job that needed my computer skills with a reputable software organisation, I applied, went through personality tests, instead of the 2.1 screening criteria that our lazy Nigerian HR and companies are used to. I passed, today I get paid in USD.

So simply put, take responsibilities for your failure, and you'll find a way out. I could have blamed my lecturers, blamed the system, or even blamed my parents for not being able to afford the kind of schools I was used to at secondary level, but I realised early enough that success is a choice, failure is also a choice.

Finally always remember that failure is usually a catalyst to become better if you choose to see it that way. Find what you love to do, and follow it with all your heart.. it will open more doors for you that any Grade can and ever will.

Wow,wow.This is more than inspiring.Thank you
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Cetona(f): 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2015
charlsecy:
I have never failed as a university student.
Congratsundecided

1 Like

Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by rotexteymie(f): 3:52pm On Aug 28, 2015
MadCow1:

angry
cheesy
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by rotexteymie(f): 3:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
kaycodes:

Good question.

Two factors actually.

What I did

Wowww.....am so inspired

Thanks grin

1 Like

Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by mkmonday: 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2015
To defend our ego mechanism
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Dolypson04(m): 4:17pm On Aug 28, 2015
oyefeel:
What about You...........

I have never had an F but when I had E I told people I had E.
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by MizFrances(f): 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
MadCow1:

Are you a UNIBEN Alumni?

Yep
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by charlsecy(m): 5:55pm On Aug 28, 2015
Cetona:
Congratsundecided
Thank you so much.
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Franchise21(m): 5:58pm On Aug 28, 2015
MadCow1:

If you can't read nor understand what I am saying, blame UNIBEN not me.
Thanks.
Lol. It's ur fault for not learning
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Dolypson04(m): 7:08pm On Aug 28, 2015
kaycodes:

Good question.

Two factors actually.

What I did

You nailed it bro! So awesome. Hope those blame shifters read this.

1 Like

Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
Dolypson04:
Simple reason; nobody identifies with failure. That's it
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 29, 2015
Because everybody claim success and reject failure.
Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by Kagarko(m): 7:39am On Aug 29, 2015
Psychologically it is called theory of ATTRIBUTION.

People tends to find reasons achievement and failure.

Success brings Pride while Failure brings Shame. Since nobody wants shame it is hanged or tied to others.

God bless Nigeria and Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Ninety Percent Of Nigerian Students Are Guilty Of This! by samuraski: 6:17pm On Sep 05, 2015
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alexandria Braie Is Babcock University Best Graduating Student (Photos) / Teacher Breaks A 4-Year-Old Boy's Teeth (Graphic Photos) / Man Who Graduated With Third Class From OAU Discovers He’s A Genius In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.