Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,942 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (50353 Views)

700+ Churches Shut Down By Government / Authorities Shut Down 700 Noisy Churches In Rwanda / Police Officers Storm "Noisy" Nigerian Church In Detroit USA, Dance With Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Chillext(m): 11:40am On Aug 28, 2015
honeric01:
Lagos (AFP) - Authorities in Nigeria's financial capital Lagos have shut down churches across the city after a glut of complaints over noisy worship.

The chaotic megacity's environmental protection department said it had sealed off 22 premises on Wednesday after receiving dozens of calls a day, according to local newspaper reports.

Neighbours of one church -- Jesus Our Lord Divine Catholic Prayer Ministry -- said they were constantly disturbed by a congregation of mainly pregnant women, young mothers and their children.

"On my phone alone, I get 20 SMS on a daily basis," said Adebola Shabi, head of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, according to the national daily New Telegraph.

"In the next five years, if there is no stringent policy on the siting of religious houses, there will be problem."

Constant noise -- from the the thumping beats of loud music, the beep of car horns and the noise of generator engines -- is the soundtrack to Lagos life and is seen by many as part of its charm.

But residents are complaining in unprecedented numbers that they can barely hear themselves think among the churches and mosques where giant loudspeakers pump out religious messages and music.

Officials receive around 50 telephone calls and 20 text messages a day complaining about noise, mostly from churches, the New Telegraph said.

"With the enforcement today, we would have sealed about 55 premises because the last enforcement we carried out, we shut 33 premises," Shabi told reporters.

"I gave approval for closure of 22 premises today, making 55."

Religion is big business in Lagos, a city of around 20 million which has seen more than 6,000 traditional and alternative places of worship spring up in recent years, according to the authorities.

Shabi said the churches would be allowed to reopen after paying fines starting at 50,000 naira ($250, 225 euros).

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-shuts-down-churches-over-noisy-worship-142621276.html

cc: Seun, Front page material.
please what number can I call to report? There's this church opposite my house that frustrates my life every day and night
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by johnydon22(m): 11:41am On Aug 28, 2015
Chiaka:

What about the loud 'Allah Akubar' Worship alerts in the morning? Nigeria is a complex country
Those ones deserves to be removed too, though i have never witnessed them cus i stay in the east... But all in all they should also be banned

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by LilSmith55(m): 11:42am On Aug 28, 2015
walemadu:
mosques make noise 5 times a day. and none gets shut?

How many Minute of Making noise... U gat no point
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by happney65: 11:45am On Aug 28, 2015
Good one..As a non religious person.I find this news exciting..They deserve to be taught some lessons..But on another note..If na 22Mosques them close na this fire go don happen ohh..Isnt it?Cos Muslims no go gree..That I am sure of
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 28, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Nothing like "end time" here! Come to my area, you will see like 5 churches on one street, who will attend those five churches?

They won't allow you enjoy your evening and every last friday of the month na die

I'm a proud Christian but i think, they should be checked.
churches has to merge,too many churches,
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 28, 2015
mutiply:
Am so dissapionted by this post of yours. If you are living close to this churches, you will understand what others are facing.

you must be one of the anti-Christ.... I'm sure you don't go to church. REPENT!
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by ammyluv2002(f): 11:47am On Aug 28, 2015
osemu8:
churches has to merge,too many churches,
I'm telling you!
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by IceDude(m): 11:47am On Aug 28, 2015
Please they should come and shut down this mumu noisy church opposite our compound...........2day na dia night vigil, i nor know how sleep wan take catch me this night sef embarassed
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by olashas(f): 11:47am On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Dear,the major reason God sent us to earth,is to broadcast,evangelize and the most important,win souls to his kingdom...... Why don't they go and shut down all those club houses... Why Churches?
For all I care,all the houses in Nigeria could be demolished, and churches built.... What Nigeria really needs now is Prayer,Prayer and Prayer!!!!!!

How intelligent grin. Nigeria is considered the most religious country. Tell us bro, how has this improved our country?
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by olashas(f): 11:48am On Aug 28, 2015
IceDude:
Please they should come and shut down this mumu noisy church opposite our compound...........2day na dia night vigil, i nor know how sleep wan take catch me this night sef embarassed
grin grin

There are two on my street. They 'compete' every day
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by ammyluv2002(f): 11:48am On Aug 28, 2015
42une:

you must be one of the anti-Christ.... I'm sure you don't go to church. REPENT!
I don't get your comment. Anti-Christ for saying the truth? Ha! You're just being sentimental
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by advocates: 11:49am On Aug 28, 2015
khalhokage:
Yes! Finally. I hope this spreads across the country.
How can a group of people just take it upon themselves to disturb public peace?
Sometimes you'll see a tiny church of not more than 15 members with huge loud speakers mounted outside making noise with their minister screaming at the top of his lungs.
Good move I must say, but it appears to me most of you would rather have the whole churches shut for life, for whatever reason other than the fact that you detest any Christianity. But be rest assure that Christ will always prevail no matter the opposition.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by xynerise: 11:50am On Aug 28, 2015
Well, they can't try that noise pollution in my area
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by LilSmith55(m): 11:51am On Aug 28, 2015
shejane:
And what happen to 5am noise every morning from the mosque?
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by LilSmith55(m): 11:51am On Aug 28, 2015
shejane:
And what happen to 5am noise every morning from the mosque?

It will be hard for u to see more dan 1 or 2 mosque on d same street,... Come and see church wey use bak and side touch each oda on my street... At least their are 5 churches on my street here in Ibadan
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by advocates: 11:54am On Aug 28, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Shut them all down I support it 100%
A perfect moment for church haters to gloat over. I don't suppose you are a Christian or understand the basic of Christianity hence your uncharitable comment.

1 Like

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by caprini1: 11:59am On Aug 28, 2015
In addition all those selling Audio Cds with loud speakers blaring at the loudest volume,shouldn't be shut down but arrested as well.

1 Like

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by LilSmith55(m): 12:00pm On Aug 28, 2015
Imagine a small shop now turn to church with Seek and Save Church or Golden Gate to Heaven church, this church will worship 7am to 7pm every day with there loud speaker outside to actract there potential customer who have to to seek for prayer and other, their noise is too much to accomodate in a residential enviroment,
However, for muslim to be sincere there noise is btw 3 to 5 mins after which the imam and others will be praying in silent for another 20min, not like our christian brothers that have turn opining of church to business centre, May God help us eko oni baje ooooo
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Anaselizzy(f): 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
Really who ever has ds number should please drop it o,some persons dont understand how it feels until they encounter it personally.
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by IceDude(m): 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
olashas:

grin grin

There are two on my street. They 'compete' every day
Only two? Ur own beta pass my own o.....There are more than 6 churches in my street. I dont care abt the rest cos they are a bit distant.....The one tormenting me is opposite our compound, the most annoying part is that dia service is almost everyday. Singing mumu noisy off key songs
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Olayinka8793(m): 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
Vince77:
how did he do it?
by storming the church,stopping the music and angrily complaining of disturbance,soon many people who lived near the church gathered,some supporting him and others trying to make peace.
The man insist and the church vacate next day.

1 Like

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by fragile96: 12:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
Shut down all churches, shut down evry pastor's mouth, but God's word will still stand, He said He will mke trees and stones to proclaim His word if ye refuse to.

Megaphones should be banned not shutting dwn of churches, how many club house has been shut dwn coz of noise pollution or how many mosque has been shut dwn, coz dey arnt left our in dis too.

God is God, no one can stop Him
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by advocates: 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
Revolva:

Shut up wit ur religious bigotry toughts who want to stop u....from ur church going....infact do u think going to church can save ur life..or maake u rich or ave a betterlife....they should even lock more churches in lagos cos they r full of nonsense....noise everywhere....in my street alone more than 12 churches....from startin till endin of d street....noise everywhere Monday to Friday service....not to talk on sunday....rubbish. Church n mosque everywhere d country is worst
Very typical of an atheist. And you think your little inconsequential ranting can prevent Christianity from thriving? Men of hate and all manner of wicked imagination. These are some of the signs, and am I disappointed? no. Only have pity for folks who decided to dine with the devil other than the free will of salvation. Take your indignation elsewhere and keep Christianity away from whatever your deluded mind believe in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by vaca1: 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Church is also an avenue through which souls are won.... Shutting down churches for the benefit of their pocket,will never make this country a better place.
Dear ,even with the increasing number of churches we have, the world never got better. proudly a Christian.
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Solution4u0(m): 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
If u are d president, u 4 don all d church in nigeria, dat mean u go end in hell
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by advocates: 12:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
fragile96:
Shut down all churches, shut down evry pastor's mouth, but God's word will still stand, He said He will mke trees and stones to proclaim His word if ye refuse to.

Megaphones should be banned not shutting dwn of churches, how many club house has been shut dwn coz of noise pollution or how many mosque has been shut dwn, coz dey arnt left our in dis too.

God is God, no one can stop Him
God reward you bro.
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Idrismusty97(m): 12:05pm On Aug 28, 2015
First time Lagos having a Christian governor and this happened. I am impressed, No one can blame this on Muslim.
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Vince77(m): 12:08pm On Aug 28, 2015
Olayinka8793:
by storming the church,stopping the music and angrily complaining of disturbance,soon many people who lived near the church gathered,some supporting him and others trying to make peace.
The man insist and the church vacate next day.
oh really. He was really determined.
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by femi4: 12:11pm On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Dear,the major reason God sent us to earth,is to broadcast,evangelize and the most important,win souls to his kingdom...... Why don't they go and shut down all those club houses... Why Churches?
For all I care,all the houses in Nigeria could be demolished, and churches built.... What Nigeria really needs now is Prayer,Prayer and Prayer!!!!!!
Daft! What Nigeria need is corrupt free environment
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by GodMode: 12:11pm On Aug 28, 2015
ajepako:

I didn't say they don't..
I said they don't make noise for as long and as continuous as churches do..
Its not about the duration of the noise...
They both make noise and both should be shut down...
You're trying to justify one over the other and that's rubbish...
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by adeyinkaadebami: 12:15pm On Aug 28, 2015
Its unfair,hw could u fine churches?god set us free 4rm dis muslim leaders.Religion War is comming soon.
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:

Clubs invest in sound proof buildings that don't let the noise get outside.

The rest of your post just smacks of total stupidity. All the prayers that we have offered so far, where has it carried us to? My dear what we need is honest and hardworking people

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My ATM Card's Security Code Is 666 / How Has Prophet TB Joshua's Ministry Touched Your Life? / Pastor Lawrence Onochie Disguised As A Beggar: The Real Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.