Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic (2160 Views)

Top 10 Questions Arising From President Buhari’s Health-induced Leave / Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / Picture Of Gallant Female Soldiers Who Fought In The Nigerian Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by bashydemy(m): 10:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
At times we ask ourselves and others many questions without finding satisfactory answers to such questions. I am also one of those who have asked such questions.

When I read about the Nigerian Civil War also called the Biafran War, two basic questions came to my mind. Before that, let’s look at a brief history of the war:

The Nigerian Civil War, also known as the Biafran War, 6 July 1967 – 15 January 1970, was a war fought to counter the secession of Biafra from Nigeria. Biafra represented nationalist aspirations of the Igbo people, whose leadership felt they could no longer coexist with the Northern-dominated federal government. The conflict resulted from political, economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions which preceded Britain's formal decolonization of Nigeria from 1960–1963. Immediate causes of the war in 1966 included a military coup, a counter-coup, and persecution of Igbo living in Northern Nigeria. Control over oil production in the Niger Delta played a vital strategic role.

The questions I have to this issue are:

1. If petroleum was in the North and not the South, would Ojukwu had fought for the secession of Biafra from Nigeria?

2. If petroleum was in the North and not the South, would Gowon and Northerners have fought so hard to keep Nigeria as one?

These are questions that I have not yet found satisfactory answers.

Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by whitecloth: 10:16pm On Aug 28, 2015
Am coming
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by khalleb(m): 10:23pm On Aug 28, 2015
hmm technical questions
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by nnachukz(m): 10:28pm On Aug 28, 2015
Did you read very well what started the war? Was it for mining of oil or for the killings of thousands of Igbos? Maybe Gowon wouldn't have fought but surely Ojukwu and the Igbos would have fought for freedom, for survival and for self determination.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by mykemiley(f): 10:31pm On Aug 28, 2015
Dem say wetin apen....
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by kestolove95(m): 10:32pm On Aug 28, 2015
Biafra...the only country that exist on radio and social medias

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by bobbydbobo: 10:35pm On Aug 28, 2015
I hardly comment on the civil war issue, despite being here seeing how much people have distorted history. Perhaps, the greatest mistake Goon made in the Reconstruction and Rehabilitation era was to make sure the story of the Civil war was not told and never to be revisited so as to help heal the wound. That has been the problem. Cos people have constructed new stories for themselves. And of course, whoever is worse hit, would always tell a story from his/her angle.
I would like anyone in a quest for the truth to without bias go and check the build up to the war, the first Coup, then the Aburi accord, how many other Peace talks that were attempted, declarations made after such and who among the two parties Erred. Of course, Oral tradition from those who felt the brunt of what happened have made millions live in another world with a fake history and knowledge of a very important occurrence today. It Pains. Let's try and learn the truth before the gift of truth destroys us.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by bashydemy(m): 10:46pm On Aug 28, 2015
nnachukz:
Did you read very well what started the war? Was it for mining of oil or for the killings of thousands of Igbos? Maybe Gowon wouldn't have fought but surely Ojukwu and the Igbos would have fought for freedom, for survival and for self determination.
Killing of thousands of Igbos? please can you bring some proof i mean prior to 1967...
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by ElekeNtioba: 11:37pm On Aug 28, 2015
bashydemy:

The questions I have to this issue are:

1. If petroleum was in the North and not the South, would Ojukwu had fought for the secession of Biafra from Nigeria?

2. If petroleum was in the North and not the South, would Gowon and Northerners have fought so hard to keep Nigeria as one?

These are questions that I have not yet found satisfactory answers.

1. Petroleum industry in the 1960's was still an emerging sector. Nobody really knew its potential then unlike what we have today. Agriculture was the mainstay of Nigeria's economy and remained so for many years. People who peddled the theory that the war was because of oil used it to create enmity btwn Igbos and the minorities of the present south-south. It's a classic divide-and-rule tactic. The south-southerners are busy fighting "Igbo Domination" while the Northerners are busy sharing oil blocks amongst themselves.

2. Gowon and others were just young military officers, most of them had no formal education. I doubt any of them at that time would have envisioned Nigeria to be a major player in the oil market. Some pple may not know this but many Northern officers were prepared to allowed Biafra secede. Rather it was the British who convinced Gowon and the others to renege on an agreement in Aburi he signed that gave Eastern Nigeria autonomy.

Oil was the motivation but not as you imagined. Imho, what led to the war was the unseen role the Brits played. Remember it was around that time Arabs placed an oil boycott on the West because of the Israeli-Arab conflict and so they were looking for new suppliers.

If you wanted to control a country and her resources who would you have in power. A half-educated peasant who runs to you for advice or an opinionated Oxford graduate from a wealthy family??

I hope I answered your questions.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by ifyan(m): 11:49pm On Aug 28, 2015
To be sincere, whenever l read or hear anything about the Nigeria/Biafra war.

It pain my heart. But God de

I believe if there was a seer, there wouldn't have being anything called Nigeria.
Re: The Nigerian Civil War And Questions Arising...pic by bashydemy(m): 12:16am On Aug 29, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

1. Petroleum industry in the 1960's was still an emerging sector. Nobody really knew its potential then unlike what we have today. Agriculture was the mainstay of Nigeria's economy and remained so for many years. People who peddled the theory that the war was because of oil used it to create enmity btwn Igbos and the minorities of the present south-south. It's a classic divide-and-rule tactic. The south-southerners are busy fighting "Igbo Domination" while the Northerners are busy sharing oil blocks amongst themselves.

2. Gowon and others were just young military officers, most of them had no formal education. I doubt any of them at that time would have envisioned Nigeria to be a major player in the oil market. Some pple may not know this but many Northern officers were prepared to allowed Biafra secede. Rather it was the British who convinced Gowon and the others to renege on an agreement in Aburi he signed that gave Eastern Nigeria autonomy.

Oil was the motivation but not as you imagined. Imho, what led to the war was the unseen role the Brits played. Remember it was around that time Arabs placed an oil boycott on the West because of the Israeli-Arab conflict and so they were looking for new suppliers.

If you wanted to control a country and her resources who would you have in power. A half-educated peasant who runs to you for advice or an opinionated Oxford graduate from a wealthy family??

I hope I answered your questions.
I concur with you on this but the part where you said Gowon and some officers had no formal education is what i won't agree with you on....

(1) (Reply)

Alison Madueke Vs Buhari Again? / If You Rule With Discrimination, You Won't Go Far -bishop Bagobiri To Buhari / BREAKING NEWS:UK Asks Switzerland To Arrest Kola Aluko For Alison Proceedings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.