Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,756 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! (1019 Views)

Uche Ekwunife Visits Chris Ngige Over The Death Of His Dad (Pic) / Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man / PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 31, 2009
I was shocked to discover an alarming fact this morning, i can actually spy on my own home from virtually any computer anywhere in the world simply by typing in my street address on google maps! shocked

To all those who live in Europe and the US especially, it might be imperative to be very careful who and where you leave your street address with, anonymity has finally died a slow and peaceful death. Welcome to the cyberworld.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by JustGood(m): 5:24pm On Mar 31, 2009
Its nothing new. Everything about you is known by the authorities anyway.

It human beings who work in the offices where your data is kept. I was actually thinking about our democracy a few days ago and I realised that we have no freedom with our democracy. The democracy is just about going to vote once in 4 years.

The guys come and tell you when/how to drink, when/how to discipline your child, etc. No one has a right to be initiative again. . . it's what keeps our western society in order but we dont really have any more freedom than those in other parts of the world. lipsrsealed
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by TayoD1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 31, 2009
@Davidylan,

I was shocked to discover an alarming fact this morning, i can actually spy on my own home from virtually any computer anywhere in the world simply by typing in my street address on google maps!
It's been there forever. Good news is that you can call Google and have them remove the pix of your house.

To all those who live in Europe and the US especially, it might be imperative to be very careful who and where you leave your street address with, anonymity has finally died a slow and peaceful death. Welcome to the cyberworld.
Still better than a world with the liberals in govt.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by vanitty: 6:00pm On Mar 31, 2009
I don’t see the point of it, it won’t benefit me in anyway. Saw my home on it the other day , in all fairness to them, faces and cars were blurred. Besides with the amount of CCTV everywhere in London, adding video evident of streets is no big deal!
I really don’t see how it can cause any harm as some people have being protesting. Heaven forbid if someone wants to find you with or without the street maps he/ she will
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by TayoD1(m): 6:01pm On Mar 31, 2009
@Justgood,

Its nothing new. Everything about you is known by the authorities anyway.
What do you need to hide anyway?  Aint you a good steward of the State?

It human beings who work in the offices where your data is kept. I was actually thinking about our democracy a few days ago and I realised that we have no freedom with our democracy. The democracy is just about going to vote once in 4 years.
And thanks to the DNC and their lackies in form of the Workers' Union, we may not even enjoy that as much.  Now they are planning to have workers vote in full view of the public.  No more private voting.

The guys come and tell you when/how to drink, when/how to discipline your child, etc. No one has a right to be initiative again. . . it's what keeps our western society in order but we dont really have any more freedom than those in other parts of the world.
Welcome to the liberal world!
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Jakumo(m): 6:24pm On Mar 31, 2009
Amazing Stuff. This technology will help both law enforcement and criminals alike. Cheating on one's spouse also just got a whole lot more challenging.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by chamotex(m): 6:33pm On Mar 31, 2009
If I type in my postcode on it, you will see my sister getting out of the car right in front of the house.

Her face and car was not blurred. Perfect view. You can zoom in, zoom out, rotate etc.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by biina: 6:33pm On Mar 31, 2009
Possibly am not familiar with the tool being referenced, but I thought the street view was just an archive of still images. I don't see what the problem is with this, after all , its not like if they are monitoring you.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by blacksta(m): 7:07pm On Mar 31, 2009
monitoring my ass . Still images taken over two years ago
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by bawomolo(m): 8:27pm On Mar 31, 2009
Still better than a world with the liberals in govt.

The red scare has been replaced by this.  Communism isn't scary anymore, liberals are the new freaks.

Jakumo:

Amazing Stuff. This technology will help both law enforcement and criminals alike. Cheating on one's spouse also just got a whole lot more challenging.

lol na true you talk
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by TayoD1(m): 9:51pm On Mar 31, 2009
@bawomolo,

The red scare has been replaced by this.  Communism isn't scary anymore, liberals are the new freaks.
What can I say. I have been sligtly influenced by the liberals all around me? How else can i explain adopting their strategy of identifying their opponent, freezing it, isolating it, demonizing it and finally destroying it.

Heck, let them have a dose of their own medicine!  grin
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Becomrrich: 10:34pm On Mar 31, 2009
google earth have change nigeria politics for every. In sure the north is trouble . all thier lies is over.

Now it is left for the Yar Adua to make a  decision. It as 3 option to remain relevant in Nigeria politics.

1 either the north remain in nigeria as minority with oil revenue and thier next generation become slave to the south.
2 either  the north leave  nigeria without oil revenue
3. Either the north allow the yoruba, bendle and bayelsa said to leave nigeria. And given them 75% to oil money and access to the sea.

We would know the north decision in just some few month. We know Yar adua and the north would never rule for ever.  Every northerner , include young

northerner military officer are watching what decision Yar adua would take, if Yar adua do not pick number 3. which is Either the north allow the yoruba, bendle and bayelsa said to leave nigeria. And given them 75% to oil money and access to the sea,    The northerner officer would take over power in a  military coup  and kill ever civilian politician.

Let hope Yar adua do the right thing and pick option 3.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Hauwa1: 12:11am On Apr 01, 2009
Very shocking! i played around looking for some places, can't find mil areas/bases though lipsrsealed. i look around for some pedo homes and i got many hits umm, some advantage there. still looking for my crib grin
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 01, 2009
why are you guys worried? ive heard people complain about this piece of technology and i just dont get it.
you can email google and have them remove your address if you dont want it there.

cars are visible but the registration numbers are blurred out.

google wan spoil runs for some guys and girls. una partners go just dey google una address everyday to see who dey enter and comot from ur houses.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by ayomifull(f): 12:06pm On Apr 01, 2009
Funny enough i read in a newspaper this morning that a woman is calling for divorce after sighting her husband's car in front of another woman's house through google map, the husband was said to have lied he was out of town on biz.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Becomrrich: 3:32pm On Apr 01, 2009
Just remove the yoruba,bendle and bayelsa into benin and now form the Nigeria-Benin. makes you look better.

And better too for business.

if you dont believe me. look at the picture. the solid red rectangle look small but do you know , it area coverage is more that the spot of red.

In geography the red spot are scatter villages and the solid red rectagles is a city. When you calculate the area coverage of the rectangles, it is more

than the many red spot.

This is how i know and say what i am saying. science wise the north can never be majority in nigeria. and it also explain why i said the yorubas are about 3

to 4 time as much as the igbos,

Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Becomrrich: 3:38pm On Apr 01, 2009
the above picture tell me story, that why i am telling that about 50% live the western niger of nigeria

Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by beneli(m): 3:57pm On Apr 01, 2009
Becomerich please go and see a Psychiatrist. This is no longer a laughing matter.
Re: Google Street View And The Death Of Freedom! by Becomrrich: 4:06pm On Apr 01, 2009
You go to school. When they send una go school, you people refuse. you people are uneducated, You are an illiterate. This is where my problem is.

Most of you people are illiterate, so i am wasting my time.

What i am saying is scientific. And since most of the people ruling you have no brain to understand , they do not know what i am saying. I do not waht to insult anyone. just making a point.

You have to have the science background to understand what i am saying. It as to do with calculating area and population.

And you people are illiterate, so it makes my point difficult to understand.

(1) (Reply)

The Systematic Destruction Of The Ijaw / Can Nigeria Achieve Real Electoral Reforms Before The Next Election? / IBB Posters Flood Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.