Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons (15656 Views)

Tunde Fowler Of FIRS Recruits 349 New Staff Secretly - Sahara Reporters / Adeosun: 363,000 Companies Never Paid Any Tax / EFCC Arrests Abumere Joseph Osagie, FIRS Director For Tax Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by 151487made(m): 12:14pm On Aug 30, 2015
shebi na person wey get work go pay tax
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by amazingspiderma: 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2015
The past Chairman of the FIRS, Mr. Sunday Ogungbesan, had said the service was finding it difficult to track the financial activities of those who did not pay taxes, as most of the evaders were no longer active.

Did they go to the moon.

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by omenka(m): 12:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
PassingShot:

See what oil money has cost Nigeria.
The truth is these guys would have evidence of tax clearance to date! What they do is collude with officials in the agency, get authentic tax clearance, pay a fraction of the amount they are supposed to pay which is then shared among the Ogas at the top and their field agents.

This I know for a fact.
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
go after corrupt officials/politicians/government workers/government companies like NNPC also!
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by lonelydora: 12:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
danjumakolo:

True talk.

So why have they been waiting till now.
Does this mean if PMB lost the elections, this is how the 325,000 companies would have evaded tax?
The firs head should resign.

PMB has already appointment a new man.
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Positiveminds(m): 1:05pm On Aug 30, 2015
Crocz:
So you don't pay tax, no corporate benefit to your host communities, pollute the air and estort customers....and yet nobody seemed to be concerned all these years?

Chai!...Jonathaaaaaaan!! angry

You disgust me
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Greyworld: 1:12pm On Aug 30, 2015
BigElEddy:
»Singing» Arikpo pay your tax o, stop to the run grin
Yu must b in CRS...... Moto don evn Jam Arikpo bcus of tax evasion.
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 30, 2015
If a company is "inactive", it means they are no more in business or dead. How can they pay tax?

You can hardly do any business as a company in Nigeria without 3 years tax clearance certificate among others. Hence, while government should try to maximise the tax returns from the "active" companies, they need to pay more attention to creating an enabling environment for businesses to thrive in Nigeria, so that more tax can be generated.

Brandishing unrealistic figures in the media is a journey to nowhere.

3 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by dazzlingd(m): 1:21pm On Aug 30, 2015
kennyman2000:
Hmmmm... Did i hear, get TIN at the point of business registration.. I see this not encouraging small business owners who may want their business registered to give it a professional face as i believe some costs may be attached to it which may be a turn off for struggling small business owners..

Buhari shouldnt do things that'll discourage small business owners..

getting a TIN is as simple as ABC
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by pus20b: 1:24pm On Aug 30, 2015
[size=28pt]FIRS have no power. to collect such money from companies.. inside the country of Western Nigeria..

. [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Bome01(m): 1:28pm On Aug 30, 2015
lonelydora:
Una good morning. Na now una wake up? Thank God the companies didn't pay self because it would have landed in someone's account.

THREE most corrupt organisations in the past 16 years
1. NNPC
2. CUSTOMS
3. FIRS

Thank God it's not business as usual. PMB is working.
where u put PHCN?

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by lonelydora: 1:43pm On Aug 30, 2015
Bome01:
where u put PHCN?

They are many that's why I put only three
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by NewsHub: 1:45pm On Aug 30, 2015
kennyman2000:
Hmmmm... Did i hear, get TIN at the point of business registration.. I see this not encouraging small business owners who may want their business registered to give it a professional face as i believe some costs may be attached to it which may be a turn off for struggling small business owners..

Buhari shouldnt do things that'll discourage small business owners..
Contrary to what you think, TIN is free. I got for my company some months back when i needed to open a corporate bank account. Now what FIRS wants to do is to get the details of a company even before it is registered. It will not dicourage any small business owner.

Most times people register companies with the CAC without any records with the FIRS because they don't go for their TIN. So instead of the FIRS having to get the list of registered companies from the CAC, this new policy will help them get their own records via the issuance of TIN prior to registration of the prospective business with the CAC.
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by nobeku: 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2015
Autolord:
Thank you GEJ for implementing this before handing over to this useless gworo baba
You are a foolish fool...Your stewpidity is God given!!!!

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by kennyman2000(m): 1:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
NewsHub:

Contrary to what you think, TIN is free. I got for my company some months back when i needed to open a corporate bank account. Now what FIRS wants to do is to get the details of a company even before it is registered. It will not dicourage any small business owner.

Most times people register companies with the CAC without any records with the FIRS because they don't go for their TIN. So instead of the FIRS having to get the list of registered companies from the CAC, this new policy will help them get their own records via the issuance of TIN prior to registration of the prospective business with the CAC.

Alright.. Thanks for the detailed explanation

2 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by ryanfletcher: 1:56pm On Aug 30, 2015
Zakamori:
please guys, is this guy dataseller24 genuine? I wan buy data, and no money to waste.

no vex say the thing no relevant o
well I normally use this guy one this thrend: https://www.nairaland.com/2553077/get-cheap-data-here#37491027....his is very fast for the three times I have patronized him and he likes to update his costumers on latest cheats and tricks too
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Sulaimon01(m): 2:04pm On Aug 30, 2015
Autolord:
Thank you GEJ for implementing this before handing over to this useless gworo baba

You r a First Class EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEdiot

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Crocz(m): 2:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
Positiveminds:

You disgust me

Ok...good to know

Now slug-off and tell ya wife to make you akamu and rub it on that ur bald head...maybe, just maybe you'll grow some follicles of hair along with some sense. Fool at 40 smtcheeeeew!
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Zakamori: 3:18pm On Aug 30, 2015
ryanfletcher:
well I normally use this guy one this thrend: https://www.nairaland.com/2553077/get-cheap-data-here#37491027....his is very fast for the three times I have patronized him and he likes to update his costumers on latest cheats and tricks too

thanks
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by ogundokun: 3:58pm On Aug 30, 2015
lonelydora:
Una good morning. Na now una wake up? Thank God the companies didn't pay self because it would have landed in someone's account.

1. NNPC
2. CUSTOMS
3. FIRS

u forgot to add NPA
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by lokun(m): 4:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
This Fowler of a guy, I trust he will do something different. Everybody is guilty of this non payment, guided by the stupid audit firms we have in Nigeria including the big ones. They are shameless to prepare 3 different sets of account and paste their useless stamp on the 3. ICAN indeed need to help now that the country is set to rebirth may God bless my country NIGERIA.
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by grandstar(m): 5:44pm On Aug 30, 2015
Heromaniaa:
Great
You must give to Caesar that which belongs to Caesar.

I totally agree. Government should also reduce the company tax rate to no more than 19%.

At such a rate, companies will not only be more willing to pay tax, but more importantly, encourage foreign investment

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by Ghandi12: 7:00pm On Aug 30, 2015
Dints to shore up Government revenue should be humane, surgical and result-oriented.

There are buoyant yet excessively profiteering companies that deliberately evade taxes - This category of defaulters should be given a second benefit to voluntarily pay back arrears or be subjected to appropriate punitive sanctions.

There are establishments that are seemly buoyant but struggling under adverse economic woes of the nation - This category of defaulters need government scrutiny and support to get back on track. America and UK decided to bail out their biggest Banks in the last global recession 08'/09' The results today show they did the right thing saving millions of jobs and by extension lives and sustaining happiness among their bedizens.

There are SMEs and "portfolio companies" that are mainly substituent in existence. Owners of these category of business use their cars, house, portfolio, or laptop as their offices. We have artisans, struggling traders, fresh graduates and rural dwellers trying to eke out a living in this category.
Are we just going to throw these people into financial confusion because they do not have enough money to do the expected thing? Are we going to be better off with more striving commoners thrown into abject hopelessness? Businesses need help as much as government need taxes from operating establishments.

People-oriented countries have social security for the poor. They have moratorium, tax holidays or other incentives to ensure more businesses survive for economic well-being of their nation.

A demotic government should not be seen to turn to the poor to get more money when the NASS for example with 469 Nigerians have an annual budget of N120/N150 Billion naira. To these days we hear and see public servants living lavishly with these taxes - how do you want the tax-payer to feel when their simple and striving lives are still coming under scathing threat by the government they so much look up to for survival.

We did not ask for 'change' to worsen our condition while the rich keep the loot..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by aspirebig: 7:57pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hmmm
All the taxes that run into Trillions of Naira paid by some sectors, how was the money spent or was it it shared rather into private accounts.

Is good to pay tax. I pay mine, but what are they doing with tax payers money in Nigeria?

Our government are not serious, they should be more serious with corruption fighting, creating jobs, insecurity, kidnapping, crimes generally, bad roads, schools etc.

In Nigeria, a project of N10, will be done with N200 for instance, they will still do it half way and abandon it, they willl reapprove and sign another N200 for the project and still abandon it. Too bad.

In the west, people are paying tax with happiness, though it is not easy, but they are seeing the results of their money in their community.

No country's corruption free or has a perfect system, but corruption can be minimised.

I have not seen any change so far oo, since may 29th.

2 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by passmiko: 9:53pm On Aug 30, 2015
lonelydora:

1. NNPC
2. CUSTOMS
3. FIRS

lol
Re: Tax Evasion: FIRS To Go After 325,000 Companies, Persons by 989900: 6:50am On Aug 31, 2015
Ghandi12:
Dints to shore up Government revenue should be humane, surgical and result-oriented.

There are buoyant yet excessively profiteering companies that deliberately evade taxes - This category of defaulters should be given a second benefit to voluntarily pay back arrears or be subjected to appropriate punitive sanctions.

There are establishments that are seemly buoyant but struggling under adverse economic woes of the nation - This category of defaulters need government scrutiny and support to get back on track. America and UK decided to bail out their biggest Banks in the last global recession 08'/09' The results today show they did the right thing saving millions of jobs and by extension lives and sustaining happiness among their bedizens.

There are SMEs and "portfolio companies" that are mainly substituent in existence. Owners of these category of business use their cars, house, portfolio, or laptop as their offices. We have artisans, struggling traders, fresh graduates and rural dwellers trying to eke out a living in this category.
Are we just going to throw these people into financial confusion because they do not have enough money to do the expected thing? Are we going to be better off with more striving commoners thrown into abject hopelessness? Businesses need help as much as government need taxes from operating establishments.

People-oriented countries have social security for the poor. They have moratorium, tax holidays or other incentives to ensure more businesses survive for economic well-being of their nation.

A demotic government should not be seen to turn to the poor to get more money when the NASS for example with 469 Nigerians have an annual budget of N120/N150 Billion naira. To these days we hear and see public servants living lavishly with these taxes - how do you want the tax-payer to feel when their simple and striving lives are still coming under scathing threat by the government they so much look up to for survival.

We did not ask for 'change' to worsen our condition while the rich keep the loot..

#balancedperspective

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I'm Managing Spinal Cord Ailment, Not Part Of Your Suit OlisaMetuh Tells Sheriff / Nigeria’s First Oil & Gas Training, Research Centre Opens In Uyo / Gbajabiamila: I Regret Supporting Tambuwal For Speaker In 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.