Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,998 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student (20052 Views)

"Ibrahim Danmaziri Murtala Hired Thugs To Attack A Blogger" - Facebook User / Jonathan Reacts To Attack On Orlando Gay Nightclub / Militants Threaten To Attack Niger-Delta Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by GideonVIBES(m): 7:40am On Sep 01, 2015
Please all i need is an excuse for rejecting someone in a critical condition,com'on it's inhumane.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Delphi(m): 8:31am On Sep 01, 2015
This write-up is one of the most stupid article I have read in recent times. The duty/calling of a medical personnel is primarily to save life. They swore to such an oath. Does stabilizing someone on emergency situation compousrily need a bed space? What of floor space? Is the floor all occupied too? Laxity and lackadaisical attitude have really finished the work etiquette in this country. Again, @op, if you were on duty that night and your only daughter was rushed to the hospital in that condition for you to dispense quick medical attention, will you reject her?. Let's leave the matter for another day. What a man soweth, he reaps!

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Adek15(m): 8:40am On Sep 01, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
A lot of hypothetical situations. There is medical priority in the ER. Most investigative lab works come after a patient has been stabilized. The worst part was that no effort was made to resuscitate the lady. No single effort.

You said "such is the lot of a doctor". No! Such is the lot of all of you medical technicians parading as doctors.
\
the worst part is a nurse was busy brushing and didn't show any compassion, telling them, "no space" oh!! I'm furious...

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 01, 2015
Delphi:
This write-up is one of the most stupid article I have read in recent times. The duty/calling of a medical personnel is primarily to save life. They swore to such an oath. Does stabilizing someone on emergency situation compousrily need a bed space? What of floor space? Is the floor all occupied too? Laxity and lackadaisical attitude have really finished the work etiquette in this country. Again, @op, if you were on duty that night and your only daughter was rushed to the hospital in that condition for you to dispense quick medical attention, will you reject her?. Let's leave the matter for another day. What a man soweth, he reaps!

OK....let'ssee.

OP daughter rushed into busy casualty with diarrhea and dehydration.

Casualty is running at full occupancy with all beds full, and all cases critical...including your relation who has pulmonary oedema due to cardiac failure.

OP and co are overstretched.

But...by your own reasoning...OP should divert all attention away from the critically ill patients in the very busy casualty including your relative with pulmonary oedema due to heart failure...to save his daughter.

As a result...your relation dies....and OP daughter is saved.

Would you be happy.? Of course you would be happy....because OP has saved his daughter at the expense of your relative's life.

There is an alternative....OP knows of a hospital that is less busy that night....and sends his daughter there....

And then concentrates on the bad cases he already has.

And everybody lives.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by tipzyayd(m): 8:49am On Sep 01, 2015
excel234:
Op, please don't insinuate cause of death based on hear say. From your analysis, you indirectly assume she may have died of pregnancy related causes firstly before any other cause. Even if she was pregnant, are you holier than her or is she supposed to die? The truth is that our medical institutions in Nigeria especially federal owned are in a very bad condition. You say you work in a medical institution, how come you don't know that doctors work shifts like other medical staff? Where do you get the idea that drs work 24hrs in government hospitals?

Hav yu heard of house officers ?? dey run 24hours shift..
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 01, 2015
chukel:
may u never escape the care of these senseless, useless, stupid, heartless beings. I lack words to describe your brain if you have any.

My good friend Nonso (AKA Mpenza) was coming back from onitsha around 7pm on 2nd january 2014 with a laptop he borrowed n some armed robbers chased him to collect it, he ran to the rail in holy ghost church enugu n they caught him n stabbed him n left him there to die. Some girls heard his cry, found him in d Bush beside that secluded rail n hired keke n took him to holy ghost church hospital called mother of Christ.

The nurses there said they need a police report to be sure it's not a gun shot wound (which fuckin professionals asks such stupidd question).

D gals that brought him in insisted that they can't do such, that they don't even know him. D nurses asked dem to take his dying body n leave the hospital premises.... Dey did n left him where they found him. Before people from our hood who didn't go home for Xmas got to him, He was cold, He already bled to death... Mpenza was gone, FOR NOTHING.

Mpenza died 1 minute trek from a hospital, A Catholic church hospital n ironically Mpenza was a Catholic. His parents n grand parents monies must have been used to build that hospital, Mpenza died n only a fence separated him from help, only a fence.

If ur a doctor or nurse, I guess u should be smart. But yet u can't even care to ask, Why are people who owe us their lives talk like dis How come a good number of Nigerians say nonsense about us Wen u start asking, Den u can find out what's really going on.

It's ur duty to go on strike n demand for higher pay n better working condition, Yet u don't want to add certain important things to ur strike, Like being authorized to treat people with bullet wound after u must have called d cops.

NIGERIAN MEDICAL SECTOR HAVE DEVELOP IMPAIRED HUMAN SYMPATHY.

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by magzey: 9:03am On Sep 01, 2015
Eyya na Abortion ne Wetin commot blood from d V na?
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 01, 2015
You see, you won't understand these things but if you pay attention I will make you understand.

So, Let me explain why most obituary are associated with BMH or UPTH. These hospitals are referral centre, they are also teaching/ tertiary Hospitals, what that means is that almost all terminal illnesses, severe Illnesses end up in BMH and UPTH. With such scenario more patients die in these tertiary centres. For obvious reasons, Private hospitals would won't more deaths associated with their centres so they refer the patients once they sense no head way in their management.
You don't get to hear success story from BMH or UPTH because hospitals don't advert on TV or any other media outlets. However, I can assure you that more people are discharged healthy than 'discharged' dead.

Benswaggy:

d Nurses in UPTH r very wicked, women who when u encounter u'll know dey truly r frm d pit of hell & no regards for Human life, people die like fowls everyday in dt Hospital and if nt for d death of dz student all these wouldnt have come to limelight. Likewise BMH , 70% of obituaries I watch on RSTV r persons who died in BMH/ UPTH.

wiaz Buhari, dz Evil should be probed.

2 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by possibilita(m): 9:08am On Sep 01, 2015
chukel:
people who don't know jack about health system will just stay at the comfort of their crevices and type nonsense. Accepted where. Do what test. will u be happy if u come to the hospital and see ur relative being treated on the ground. With your reasoning, I hope you are not a graduate or an intending one. U just talk test as if u know a bit of what should be done in such cases. What you don't know, don't spew.
mr knw it all sorry oh
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by boolet: 9:47am On Sep 01, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Thank you.

Unfortunately most people think that we medical folk are bad people.

Thank you.
well, some of you are bad especially when they work for govt.

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Montaque(m): 9:56am On Sep 01, 2015
OP. I want to say that you are not in the best position to make a reply for the hospital management.
So your reply is Inconsequential.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by dalass(f): 9:56am On Sep 01, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Thank you.

Unfortunately most people think that we medical folk are bad people.

Thank you.
Yes most of you have this 'nothing is new, have seen it all, nonchallant attitude to sick and dying patients! I believe a re-orientation for attitudinal change for health workers should be holding from time to time...Trust me, I avoid hospitals as much as possible cause of this behaviour..
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 01, 2015
excel234:
Op, please don't insinuate cause of death based on hear say.

It's not hearsay, it's based on medical knowledge, any doctor that would have managed her with the same information we have at the moment would have still followed similar thought process.

From your analysis, you indirectly assume she may have died of pregnancy related causes firstly before any other cause.

That's how Doctors make diagnosis in such setting, and in her case, one would have a list of possible cause of illness. Then resuscitate her, carry out investigations to make definitive diagnosis, and less invasive procedure like abdominocentesis (using needle to check for blood or fluid in the tommy), if uncloted blood is confirmed with +ve pregnancy test,the next is emergency surgery for Ruptured ectopic pregnancy. If at any point results does not tally with the diagnosis, such diagnosis is struck out or taken down the list, and other possibility pursued. It's logical science, systematic, it's not trial and error, cause it's human life we're dealing with not a dog or palm tree.

Even if she was pregnant, are you holier than her or is she supposed to die?

We're not talking about morals here, did I condemn her in any form? No! I only stated possibilities based on news and behaviours associated with students and youth. I also stated she shouldn't have died if we had a good system.

My dear, believe people who say this country is a zoo, am not happy using this word but that's the best description of our situation. A country where her citizens die in hundreds on daily basis and no body cares, no record of deaths, no record of birth, Nigeria doesn't even know me and you exist. But they have every details of all our oil wells.

The truth is that our medical institutions in Nigeria especially federal owned are in a very bad condition.

Now you're getting the gist. Not only federal, even state owned. Private hospitals are acquiring CT scan, MRI but most government owned tertiary Hospitals can't do the same, the money is rather spent on foreign treatment of our politicians. People like you should push ban on accessing foreign medical care by public office holders. Let's see whether they won't build a better healthcare system in our states.

You say you work in a medical institution, how come you don't know that doctors work shifts like other medical staff? Where do you get the idea that drs work 24hrs in government hospitals?

I got the idea first hand. The only doctor in teaching hospital that run shift are the casualty officers A/E unit, and probably GP or Family medicine doctors in GOPD.

I have worked for complete one week, non stop. If you get chance to rest in the night then you thank God. Even while you rest that night you mind is not rest, cause you are scared you can be called any minute.
I have witnessed Doctors who worked 1 month non stop(for a house officer) and 3 months non stop (for a resident doctor). The house officer after completing the one month requested for a 2days break, they refused, he then took the 2days off, for rest. When he came back to resume in another unit, he was punished with one week call.
Most time Doctors you see in those teaching hospitals are mentally and physically exhausted.

Just try and visit a teaching hospital and understand what the system is like.

2 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by dalass(f): 10:05am On Sep 01, 2015
sorry my brother.. You need to see them boycot all provocols and break every law when their own is involved!
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 01, 2015
teamchocolate:
You treated people on the bare floor shocked shocked. Then u are what is wrong with the health system in this country....
Pls where did u train? The accreditation team of the National postgraduate medical college and west african college of physicians need to visit your school!!!
You are the doctors doing more harm than good.. ever heard of words like infection control, medical ethics... anyway your moniker says it all... undecided undecided dr evilforest

You must av misunderstood the op, he never said anything was wrong with giving post-abortion care or treating armed robbers, he only made a veiled reference to the fact that abortion is illegal, and if u could really comprehend, he said illegal in this country meaning he rly feels it should be otherwise as it is in more developed countries.

Good morning
Happy new month
You don't have to make a POINT by asking me where I trained.
The same affected UPTH has my BIRTHMARK.
I know the FOUR CORNERS Of both UNIPORT and UPTH, including BMH and kesley HARRISON.
I have traveled wide and near.

Above all there is nothing MEASURABLE to the SANCTITY OF LIFE.
That which must be preserved.

When I was in F. M. C.. ASHAKA, GOMBE state., BLAST VICTIMS where brought in, in their numbers... NOBODY including the M. D. ever thought Of BED SPACE.

WE ran out Of BED SPACES, yet we kept admitting patients with impunity.

IF your RELATIVES are affected, I know u will do WORSE...

My attention has been drawn to DELIVER a pregant woman on a staircase whose case was BREECH, and fetus hanging between her legs. I quickly got some cellophane bags and did the Unimaginable and the BABY is alive today.

As a MED. DOC my FRIEND, always see yourself Above PRESCRIPTION NOTES and prepare for UNFORSEEN UNCONTIGIENCES, because GOD may have planted you there for that.

That NIGERIAN SYSTEM has ebola doesn't mean we should allow our citizens die
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 10:46am On Sep 01, 2015
chuna1985:

My good friend Nonso (AKA Mpenza) was coming back from onitsha around 7pm on 2nd january 2014 with a laptop he borrowed n some armed robbers chased him to collect it, he ran to the rail in holy ghost church enugu n they caught him n stabbed him n left him there to die. Some girls heard his cry, found him in d Bush beside that secluded rail n hired keke n took him to holy ghost church hospital called mother of Christ.

The nurses there said they need a police report to be sure it's not a gun shot wound (which fuckin professionals asks such stupidd question).

D gals that brought him in insisted that they can't do such, that they don't even know him. D nurses asked dem to take his dying body n leave the hospital premises.... Dey did n left him where they found him. Before people from our hood who didn't go home for Xmas got to him, He was cold, He already bled to death... Mpenza was gone, FOR NOTHING.

Mpenza died 1 minute trek from a hospital, A Catholic church hospital n ironically Mpenza was a Catholic. His parents n grand parents monies must have been used to build that hospital, Mpenza died n only a fence separated him from help, only a fence.

If ur a doctor or nurse, I guess u should be smart. But yet u can't even care to ask, Why are people who owe us their lives talk like dis How come a good number of Nigerians say nonsense about us Wen u start asking, Den u can find out what's really going on.

It's ur duty to go on strike n demand for higher pay n better working condition, Yet u don't want to add certain important things to ur strike, Like being authorized to treat people with bullet wound after u must have called d cops.

sorry about mpenza. But u still type ignorantly. U don't even know the reason why we go on strike. But u have concluded. The last protracted strike was based on the fact that other health workers wanted to be consultants. We knew the implication of this. We cried out. But u guys shouted greedy doctors. That was exactly what played out with ur friend mpenza. It was not the duty or call of the nurses to decipher whether the injury was gunshot or not. Of course mpenza was supposed to have being treated but the nurses assumed the role of the doctors and got it wrong. Did u see anything wrong in that? No. Buy u will turn around to put the blame on us. Mpenza did not deserve to die. But the topic in question is different from mpenzas

2 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 01, 2015
Delphi:
This write-up is one of the most stupid article I have read in recent times.

It's silly because it doesn't conform to your sentiments. Broaden your view and quit showcasing narrow mind. There are a lot of possibilities in this very situation and we must keep an open mind and discuss these possibilities instead attacking health workers. When a report is out we will conclusively say what transpired. That's why in my article I tried to discuss all common possibilities in such scenario.

The duty/calling of a medical personnel is primarily to save life. They swore to such an oath. Does stabilizing someone on emergency situation compousrily need a bed space? What of floor space? Is the floor all occupied too?

Yes we save life and people testify on daily basis. You are comfortable stretching Doctors but will exonerate Nigerian Government of the oath to protect Nigerian citizens and give them at least basic amenities. At this point in our history we still at the level of providing basic amenities, isn't a shame? When the world is going futuristic.

How sure are you that the casualty officer was not in theatre, how sure are you he or she is not engaged with a critical patient, how sure are you there're no such critically ill patients in the A/E still waiting to be attended to when this girl was brought in. You will rather attack health workers but praise Buhari and Jonathan on Nairaland, worship your Governors when they pass, while they fly abroad for medical treatment. If our healthcare system is perfect why won't they go to our teaching hospitals be treated on the floor?

Laxity and lackadaisical attitude have really finished the work etiquette in this country.

This is very true. Every aspect of our system is in messy state. Can you tell me why someone will be subjected to UMTE and post-post UMTE just to gain admission in tertiary Institution. And they are made to pay heavily for these exams, afterwards they pay acceptance fee, for what exactly?

We have even lost track of what is our right and what is right? You haven't even talked about people who are unable to access healthcare because of poverty, do you know the number that die in this country because of poverty. Tell me why a Nigerian cannot be enrolled in healthcare scheme and access cheaper health care, but no, we will rather fight to be treated on the floor, when trillions are paid as subsidy to rogues who won't allow our refinery work. Let's direct our fight appropriately and achieve a last result instead of running circles, attacking symptoms of a disease while the disease spread.

Again, @op, if you were on duty that night and your only daughter was rushed to the hospital in that condition for you to dispense quick medical attention, will you reject her?. Let's leave the matter for another day. What a man soweth, he reaps!

My dear, pray it doesn't happen to your own relative. It can happen to you or me or our relations.
I once had an emergency case and I was rushed to Niger foundation, Enugu, one of the big hospitals in Enugu, owned by Opus Dei, a congregation in catholic church. I was told that night they had no space for me. That is a private Hospital, owned by a church...when the full capacity of a hospital is reached there's little you can do. In the tertiary Hospital where I worked, even the floor gets filled, people will be waiting in their car and ambulances for the next available space.
Our tertiary Hospitals shouldn't be that saturated if our secondary and primary health centres are working, they are the ones to absorb most of the common emergencies. That way tertiary Hospitals are to handle only critical cases.

Have you asked yourself what happened to the university of Portharcourt medical centre? Someone in this thread confirmed it wasn't effective, why is it not effective? That's where this girl should have been saved. I really sympathise with her family and friends, but if you think attacking doctors will stop this kind of death then you're misdirecting your effort. We're in jungle, Just try and keep track of news, before the next 2 months you will hear similar news, another Nigerian life lost and Nigeria doesn't care. Politicians keep speaking grammar on TV while we clap for them.

God help us all!

2 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by fpeter(f): 11:56am On Sep 01, 2015
OP.....take cognisance of the words 'deceased and diseased'

For the context in view.....deceased should be used instead.

Thank you.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 01, 2015
My dear, a lot of time I get infuriated with unnecessary protocols in our system, including healthcare system. We just have this mindset of creating difficult system for ourselves.

Why would we have data collection for voters card, data collection for national ID, data collection for drivers licence, data for sim card, yet we can't have a national data of who is nigerian?
You want to get you your certificate, which you've suffered for, for 4-6 years, you're made to pay exorbitantly, you want a transcript from your University, you're made to pay heavily.
A civil servant works and the state government denies him his due salary, yet allocation for the salary came into the state. A elder citizen works all his life and retires, you refuse to pay him his gratuity and pension, while moving around for his money, he collapses and dies, a Nigerian life lost, it appears on news, we say RIP, while politicians keep speaking grammar for us on TV and looting us.
A doctor can't have quality time with a patient in the clinic, because the number in queue, because he is thinking and rushing to make ends meet, because no one monitors the quality of his work. A soldier will traumatise a civilian and we are comfortable, nothing happens to the soldier, because we can't get justice in court, the judges will be bribed.
We create these unnecessary protocols, the rich bribe their way while the poor are left to rot.

A Nigerian worth nothing to the government so you better guard your life as much as you can because you're on your own.

God help us all!

dalass:
sorry my brother.. You need to see them boycot all provocols and break every law when their own is involved!
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 01, 2015
Bjergtrolde:

It could also be caused by a massage pulmonary embolism, subarachnoid hemorrhage or ventricular fibrillation , all in a menstruating woman.
The point I am making if you don't get it, is that except you have carried out a proper post mortem examination, do not cast aspersion on this unfortunate lady's morals.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up a few issues

Good night.

This guy again, forming I too know on things you know NOTHING about!!

What's a massage pulmonary embolism? what's a sub arachnoid hemorrhage or a VF? What history in this girl is suggestive of any of those? Any risk factors?
Because you have access to google and/or work in one lab, you think doctors just arrive at diagnosis like babalawos?

If you don't attend a proper medical school and get an MBBS or it's equivalent, you can never know how the work of doctors is done and you can never arrive at a proper diagnosis.

BTW, a young woman of reproductive age that is bleeding vaginally and fainted, fainted because of anemia secondary to an urogenital pathology until proven otherwise.

It's not any body that collapses that has sub arachnoid hemorrhage or VF. WTF!!!

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 01, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
You are not making any sense. The most important thing in this story is that the victim was rushed to a medical facility. As a trained personnel, whether they have beds or not is a non issue. The first response would had been to initiate Advanced cardiac life support using medications, Iv infusion and AED if necessary. Once the patient is stabilized, then she would be transferred to another facility. Common sense is not common among you quacks parading as medical personnel in Nigeria.

UPTH A/E denied the lady the right to live.
All the running around with a patient who deserved emergency medical attention is callous. It is sad how you people get away with murder by negligence.

With your mindset, you should not be allowed 100meters near a patient.
/

You people will not kill someborry with laughter on here!! AED? WTF!!! For someone that passed out while bleeding?? I won't bother saying much because it's glaring you know NOTHING about Medicine. But let me tell you what a wise man one said "he who knows not, and knows not that he knows not but thinks he knows is a fo.ol, ignore him".

And if you're one of those quacks that are not qualified as doctors but treat patients wrongly and detrimentally as doctors, giving hardworking doctors a bad name, your day of reckoning is very near. You can't escape.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Applaner: 12:50pm On Sep 01, 2015
I stopped reading wen I saw " story flying around". I don't think we should post news from story flying, y not confirm first b/4 posting
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 01, 2015
So far you were not there, it's a hear say. If your conditions of work as house officers are shabby, protest to FG. So far , our house officers go on strike for pay raises and superiority and leave the more important aspects of equipping our hospitals, better patient care and functional emergency services. I have been to teaching hospitals and FMCs when a relative was sick. There is a lack of perceived care among drs and nurses. Some are quite good and smart while the majority especially house officers are filled with pride. I have also been to hospitals abroad, they are quite courteous and professional. They treat A/E as if their lives depend on them.You see doctors, nurses racing to save lives. This is stark opposite of what I see in Nigeria. I was on an offshore location in Nigeria and developed a chest pain, immediately they did ECG on me on the rig with a professional interpreting it realtime from Houston. They have all equipment required to resusitate an IP right on a ship ! Fortunately it was muscloskeletal origin. A little room in a rig was more equipped than elaborate Nigeria government sponsored hospitals. Our problem is to fold, attitude of uncaring doctors and nurses and inability of government to equip our hospitals. I rest my case.
centje:

It's not hearsay, it's based on medical knowledge, any doctor that would have managed her with the same information we have at the moment would have still followed similar thought process.

That's how Doctors make diagnosis in such setting, and in her case, one would have a list of possible cause of illness. Then resuscitate her, carry out investigations to make definitive diagnosis, and less invasive procedure like abdominocentesis (using needle to check for blood or fluid in the tommy), if uncloted blood is confirmed with +ve pregnancy test,the next is emergency surgery for Ruptured ectopic pregnancy. If at any point results does not tally with the diagnosis, such diagnosis is struck out or taken down the list, and other possibility pursued. It's logical science, systematic, it's not trial and error, cause it's human life we're dealing with not a dog or palm tree.

We're not talking about morals here, did I condemn her in any form? No! I only stated possibilities based on news and behaviours associated with students and youth. I also stated she shouldn't have died if we had a good system.

My dear, believe people who say this country is a zoo, am not happy using this word but that's the best description of our situation. A country where her citizens die in hundreds on daily basis and no body cares, no record of deaths, no record of birth, Nigeria doesn't even know me and you exist. But they have every details of all our oil wells.

Now you're getting the gist. Not only federal, even state owned. Private hospitals are acquiring CT scan, MRI but most government owned tertiary Hospitals can't do the same, the money is rather spent on foreign treatment of our politicians. People like you should push ban on accessing foreign medical care by public office holders. Let's see whether they won't build a better healthcare system in our states.

I got the idea first hand. The only doctor in teaching hospital that run shift are the casualty officers A/E unit, and probably GP or Family medicine doctors in GOPD.

I have worked for complete one week, non stop. If you get chance to rest in the night then you thank God. Even while you rest that night you mind is not rest, cause you are scared you can be called any minute.
I have witnessed Doctors who worked 1 month non stop(for a house officer) and 3 months non stop (for a resident doctor). The house officer after completing the one month requested for a 2days break, they refused, he then took the 2days off, for rest. When he came back to resume in another unit, he was punished with one week call.
Most time Doctors you see in those teaching hospitals are mentally and physically exhausted.

Just try and visit a teaching hospital and understand what the system is like.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 01, 2015
nenergy:

Answer this simple question. Do you need a "bed" to save a person's life?

YES!!! There are more than a thousand reasons for this and it's not in keeping with sustaining human dignity. ....Different things; shoes, blood, vomitus, faeces etc are on/have recently been on the floor of the emergency room.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 01, 2015
chukel:
sorry about mpenza. But u still type ignorantly. U don't even know the reason why we go on strike. But u have concluded. The last protracted strike was based on the fact that other health workers wanted to be consultants. We knew the implication of this. We cried out. But u guys shouted greedy doctors. That was exactly what played out with ur friend mpenza. It was not the duty or call of the nurses to decipher whether the injury was gunshot or not. Of course mpenza was supposed to have being treated but the nurses assumed the role of the doctors and got it wrong. Did u see anything wrong in that? No. Buy u will turn around to put the blame on us. Mpenza did not deserve to die. But the topic in question is different from mpenzas

I know all of the reasons why doctors go in strike in nigeria. My closest pal for the past 18 years is a medical doctor so I always had a way to hear about any strike n what caused it n what doctors are fighting for. U fight for money most times.

Don't try to make it look as if I attacked only doctors, I attacked nigeria medical in totality.

Finally, I hope u know what ignorance means.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 01, 2015
excel234:
So far you were not there, it's a hear say. If your conditions of work as house officers are shabby, protest to FG. So far , our house officers go on strike for pay raises and superiority and leave the more important aspects of equipping our hospitals, better patient care and functional emergency services. I have been to teaching hospitals and FMCs when a relative was sick. There is a lack of perceived care among drs and nurses. Some are quite good and smart while the majority especially house officers are filled with pride. I have also been to hospitals abroad, they are quite courteous and professional. They treat A/E as if their lives depend on them.You see doctors, nurses racing to save lives. This is stark opposite of what I see in Nigeria. I was on an offshore location in Nigeria and developed a chest pain, immediately they did ECG on me on the rig with a professional interpreting it realtime from Houston. They have all equipment required to resusitate an IP right on a ship ! Fortunately it was muscloskeletal origin. A little room in a rig was more equipped than elaborate Nigeria government sponsored hospitals. Our problem is to fold, attitude of uncaring doctors and nurses and inability of government to equip our hospitals. I rest my case.

Sir you said "a little room in a rig was more equipped than elaborate Nigeria government sponsored hospitals", that captures a lot and there's little healthcare workers can do where there are no adequate tools for work.
In the developed country you talked about too, do you know how well motivated the doctors there are? The government takes good care of them and give them all they need to work well, so the difference is quite glaring.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2015
chuna1985:

I know all of the reasons why doctors go in strike in nigeria. My closest pal for the past 18 years is a medical doctor so I always had a way to hear about any strike n what caused it n what doctors are fighting for. U fight for money most times.

Don't try to make it look as if I attacked only doctors, I attacked nigeria medical in totality.

Finally, I hope u know what ignorance means.
maybe I don't know. That you know someone who has one leg does not mean you know what it's like being with one leg. I rest my case with you.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by themanderon: 1:48pm On Sep 01, 2015
The problem with this country is that people are not being held accountable for their actions, how can a school be collecting medical fees from students and still cannot provide a good health system for them?
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2015
chuna1985:

This is really a sad and preventable loss and we thank God doctors and nurses are now allowed to tend to such patients without harassment. What used to be the problem was that after healthcare workers attend to such people, police comes and starter harassing and arresting them, calling them accomplices of robbery (especially in cases where the persons involved are say cultists, robbers etc). So doctors ask for police report before touching such patients because there's no wisdom in treating a patient and ending up in police detention for days.

Part of why Doctors go on strike is because of their renumeration and other working conditions (no doubt) but other reasons they go on strike are often not talked about by the general populace, and these are things that affect them directly. Some include;

Passing of the national health bill which captures so many things e.g free healthcare for children less than 5, pregnant women and the aged, health insurance for all others, treating everybody with bullet wound etc

Rural posting for all doctors (govt doesnt want to spend on rural areas)

A health trust fund, just like ETF, to constantly upgrade govt health facilities etc etc

If people join doctors and lend their voice to some of these things, rather than just criticize everything, our healthcare will be better for all.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by nenergy(m): 3:12pm On Sep 01, 2015
chukel:
do you need a seat to drive a car? U don't understand these things. A hospital is a specialised center. U don't do first aid there. It is not your house or a bar where you do first aid. This girl bled per vaginam. Tell me if she had been kept on the ground, how would the doctor have done a vaginal examination or speculum examination. You guys don't understand how these things work. Please just shut up.
Look here young man! That I asked an open question doesn't give you the right to tell me (or anyone) to shut up.

Passing the buck with excuse of "no bed". God dey!

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 3:21pm On Sep 01, 2015
nenergy:

Look here young man! That I asked an open question doesn't give you the right to tell me (or anyone) to shut up.

Passing the buck with excuse of "no bed". God dey!
lol. No be fight. I just want you to understand. I may have been harsh cos of they way u guys reason these things. See it this way. U have a car. U r driving along the road. Ur car is filled with passengers. A neighbor flags u down to carry him. What will u do? Open the trunk for him to sit/ lie there? Ask him to sit/lie on the hood?
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by billyG(m): 4:33pm On Sep 01, 2015
If any damn sickness carry u go UPTH ,u go remain 4 queue there on d mercy of d sickness,until a team or commitee is raised 2 look @ yur life history b4 docs & interns go use u as a guinea pig 2 learn upon u go pay via yur nose.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 / Fire Incident At NNPC Station In Kaduna (Photos) / Adeseye Ogunlewe: Tinubu Is The Right Person To Succeed Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.