Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

$1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics (705 Views)

Edo 2016: Aisha Buhari’s Support For Obaseki Is Laughable — Mrs Akande / APC And Their Laughable Deceptions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

$1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by Allergic(m): 3:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
I don't know who came up with this $1 = ₦1 because this is laughable in Economics. I am sure it is NOT Buhari or APC. But for sure I know whoever came up with this wasn't thinking.

Balance Of Trade can makes this happen for Nigeria but it's a journey that takes decades - even half a century. We are a Consuming and Developing Country and simply when you import everything your currency is powerless.

Since I was born, Nigeria as a country has always been run on Trade deficit.

Even China has not been able to achieve this, they have devalued their currency twice recently.

I think Economists need to educate Nigerians....
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 03, 2015
We are still waiting for someone to claim the over 2 million naira bounty for the video showing Buhari make this promise
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by profosa: 4:02pm On Sep 03, 2015
What is laughable in revaluation of currency in Economics. Did Ghana not do this some years agos.Or didn't Chukwuma Soludo suggest same some years ago.
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by kaywaiwai: 4:03pm On Sep 03, 2015
yes u are right, i agree with you, they are not thinking
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by Allergic(m): 4:28pm On Sep 03, 2015
profosa:
What is laughable in revaluation of currency in Economics. Did Ghana not do this some years agos.Or didn't Chukwuma Soludo suggest same some years ago.
profosa:

My Dear,

Currency revaluation has little impart on Economy, it's not the main thing to check/boost the Economy. So, if you devalue and it doesn't increase your Export, that mean devaluation had no impact.

What Devualation does is simply to boost EXPORT.
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 03, 2015
profosa:

Yes it is possible to just FIX exchange rate. Trying to sustain it in an economy like ours is not only laughable but stupendous. Its just like fetching water with a very BIG basket and returning home with absolutely nothing. Just like as somebody above said, we are a consuming nation the gains made by revaluation (if any I doubt ) will be lost to trade imbalance(deficit) hence the pressure on the naira which will likely depreciate it back if not worst than before thus countering the gains of revaluation or pegging of currency.

You said Soludo wanted to introduce it just thank God yaradua axed it. Talk about Ghana, their economic environment favours it unlike ours.

$1=#1? I laugh in economics. Whoever believes such can easily believe that government can print more Nair as to pay her bills .
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by SIRTee15: 4:52pm On Sep 03, 2015
Allergic:
I don't know who came up with this $1 = ₦1 because this is laughable in Economics. I am sure it is NOT Buhari or APC. But for sure I know whoever came up with this wasn't thinking.

Balance Of Trade can makes this happen for Nigeria but it's a journey that takes decades - even half a century. We are a Consuming (Developing) Country and simple when you import everything your currency is powerless.

Since I was born, Nigeria as a country has always been run on Trade deficit.

Even China has not been able to achieve this, they have devalued their currency twice recently.

I think Economists need to educate Nigerians....

I don't know when you were born
but since the era of oil windfall......Nigeria has never had a trade deficit
get your facts right
and pls......go and look for an economist and educate yourself.
you have no of idea of what global economics is all about.
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by DaBullIT(m): 4:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
So , they don't want 2 Million cash price for just one video ?
Re: $1 = ₦1?? This Laughable In Economics by Allergic(m): 5:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
SIRTee15:

I don't know when you were born
but since the era of oil windfall......Nigeria has never had a trade deficit
get your facts right
and pls......go and look for an economist and educate yourself.
you have no of idea of what global economics is all about.

Maybe, you're the one that really need an EDUCATION.

Last time I checked: A trade deficit, which is also referred to as net exports, is an economic condition that occurs when a country is importing more goods than it is exporting. An economic measure of a negative balance of trade in which a country's imports exceeds its exports. A trade deficit represents an outflow of domestic currency to foreign markets.

The deficit equals the value of goods being imported minus the value of goods being exported, and it is given in the currency of the country in question.

Nig Export[10%] - Nig Import[90%] = Trade Deficit [-90%]

The above description fits Nigeria since I was born - 1987.

Nigeria’s import and export ratio has remained at 90 percent import to 10 percent export; on the average.

(1) (Reply)

The Animals From The North And South Of Nigeria / Tinubu And Akande Visit Pmb / Governors Fayose & Wike Kick Against Death Penalty For Corrupt Govt. Officials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.