Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag (13753 Views)

Recent Photo Of Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi, The Man Who Designed The Nigerian Flag / Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi: Then And Now (Photos) / Helicopters Hovering Round Onitsha With Nigerian Flag - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by WhizLammy(m): 4:07pm On Sep 04, 2015
Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi, the man who designed Nigeria’s flag is still alive but his present living condition is that of a forgotten hero.
“I was well-known all over the place,” Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi says. “Everybody
was calling me Mr Flag Man.” He designed the flag in October 1959, a year before Nigeria gained independence. He was paid –
100 pounds, equal to $ 281 in 1959.

The 79-year-old Akinkunmi now lives in one of the poorest areas of Ibadan. His house painted in colours of Nigerian flag is a
distinctive feature in the area and it can only be reached by foot... Continue reading - http://www.guruswapers.com/2015/09/photos-sad-story-of-man-who-designed.html

Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by salisuammy(f): 4:08pm On Sep 04, 2015
this is Naija for u
Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by redvektor(m): 4:11pm On Sep 04, 2015
op I taught the past government of GEJ gave this guy an appointment??

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by mmafhew(m): 4:12pm On Sep 04, 2015
Yh bro. Afterall dey forget u
Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by Mutuwa(m): 4:17pm On Sep 04, 2015
the world itself is a use and dump place.
its just terrible how the government has put this elder into oblivion while celebrating loots and political rascals,whom am positive to an extent are not his mates.
He designed this flag at a time the country was about to be,how could it be so easy to forget him?
Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by idealsico(m): 4:33pm On Sep 04, 2015
Is this laziness or what? He designed our national flag and so what? Did he not get paid for the job? After designing the flag did he go sleep his life away without engaging his hands to earn a living? How much effort did he put into that work and what was the duration? Just for designing a flag and we are constantly reminded that the man is living in poverty. I am tired of hearing this kind of story. How much have Nigeria rewarded our real heroes : soldiers who put their life on the line so that others would live?

5 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by tenderlaw(m): 4:35pm On Sep 04, 2015
So because he designed the flag, govt should place him on a millionaire's pension for life? What about the man that composed the national anthem? What about our soldiers dying in Sambisa? Was this man not paid as agreed by the govt of the day? Why must he keep coming back for more like Oliver Twist? Neil Armstrong didn't behave like this in America. Even Einstein did not blackmail his govt. This one designs one flag and expects to be paid like a king for life...and people are supporting him. SMH.

5 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by kokoA(m): 4:42pm On Sep 04, 2015
I'm sure he didn't design the flag for free. I'm sure he had many productive years after designing the flag to use his fame to get jobs, favours, etc. I'm sure he has adult children whom he trained. We all agree government has been bad (before Baba came in) but we shouldn't blame them all the time.

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by Rockyfancino(m): 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2015
He should have tied himself to politics if he was looking to be rich. And what did he do with is popularity when he was young? Nothing.... check my thread https://www.nairaland.com/2564190/15-people-needed-partner-news
Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by Ahzyz(m): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2015
They forget my friend who buy the paint they use designed sef

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by akpumping7720(m): 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2015
I thought GEJ remembered this man during the Centenary award and placed him on life salary...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by Dawdy(m): 8:30pm On Sep 04, 2015
Thanks
Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by jamace(m): 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2015
akpumping7720:
I thought GEJ remembered this man during the Centenary award and placed him on life salary...
Yes. I don't know what the OP want again.
Re: PHOTOS: The Sad Story Of Man Who Designed Nigerian Flag by Caseless: 9:09pm On Sep 04, 2015
redvektor:
op I taught the past government of GEJ gave this guy an appointment??
believe whatever gej said at your own peril.

(1) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari Diagnosed With Cancer - TheTrentOnline / Sule Lamido: Tyranny Fuels Mass Defection To APC / Those Calling For Igbo Presidency, Restructuring, Are Spiritually Blind- Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.