Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,367 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation (2901 Views)

Production Of Castrol Automotive Engine Oil Commences In Nigeria / First Oil Change, Is SAE 10W-30 Available? / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by IdaraCHODB(m): 3:47pm On Sep 06, 2015
Given the appearance of Mobil 1 5w30 ESP http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.aspx in some Mobil petrol stations I wanted to find out how it ranks with other engine oils on the ILSAC scale and in particular to another product from the same stable, Mobil 1 5w30 Extended Performance http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx which I currently use.

Here is what I found out. First of all what is ILSAC?

What is ILSAC?

International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee, is formed in 1992 by AAMA (American Automobile Manufacturers Association, representatives of DaimlerChrysler Corporation, Ford Motor Company and General Motors Corporation) and JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association) to define the need, parameters, licensing and administration of lubricant specifications. Together with the Tripartite system (API, SAE and ASTM) the formed EOLCS, the Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System. ILSAC oils often carry the API Service Symbol (Donut) including the Energy Conserving designation and/or API Certification Mark (Starburst).

ILSAC GF-5
Introduced in October 2010 for 2011 and older vehicles, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, more stringent sludge control, improved fuel economy, enhanced emission control system compatibility, seal compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.
Note:- This is the standard applicable to Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30

ILSAC GF-6
The ILSAC GF-6 specification is currently in development and will probably be divided into two sub-specifications. ILSAC GF-6A will be fully backward compatible with ILSAC GF-5 but would offer better fuel economy, better engine protection and improved performance while maintaining durability. ILSAC GF-6B would deliver similar performance as ILSAC GF-5A but will allow lower viscosity oils like xW-16, taking advantage of the fuel economy benefits offered by the new SAE 16 viscosity grade. For more information check out gf-6.com.

The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade

On April 1, 2013 the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) introduced a new viscosity grade called SAE 16. This is a new high temperature viscosity grade hence it's not 16W just simply 16 or SAE 16. This is the lowest high temerature SAE engine oil viscosity grade yet, replacing SAE 20 in this role. The introduction of this viscosity grade is another step towards motor oils providing better and better fuel economy and such oils will most likely to be first recommended by companies that emphasize fuel economy oils (e.g. Ford, Honda).

When the first SAE 16 oils will appear (likely as 0W16 and 5W16 oils) they will only be suitable to be used in vehicles where the engine is designed to operate with such a low viscosity oil. Just as 5W20 and 0W20 oils these oils will also be unsuitable to be used in older engine designs since it would not provide sufficient wear protection on operating temperature.

Note: 5w30 is a better oil than 5w20 as far as engine protection is concerned, but 5w20 is a better oil than 5w20 as far as fuel economy is concerned, if your manufacturer recommends either (or if the same engine in another car uses 5w20) I would go for the 5w30, but if fuel economy is your concern do the 5w20, but i would recommend not to drive the vehicle too hard, because extreme oil pressure and extreme oil temperatures are bad for engine longevity.

The number 16 itself does not have a special meaning it does not point at any specific oil property, it is only the name of the viscosity grade. SAE decided to choose a number that breaks the must-be-divisible-by-5 rule to avoid any mix-up with the winter viscosities. SAE 15 would have been easy to confuse with 15W (even though the very same problem did not influence SAE's decision when SAE 20 was introduced).

With the introduction of SAE 16 the limit on 100 °C viscosity for SAE was changed from 5.6 cSt to 6.9 cSt minimum. SAE 20 oils didn't make use of this interval so far and the limits for SAE 16 partially extend to this segment. For an oil to be of SAE 16 viscosity grade its viscosity on 100 °C must be between 6.1 and 8.2 mm2/s and its HTHS viscosity must be at least 2.3 mPa*s.

The official SAE viscosity grades are now 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, 25W, 16, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60. SAE is considering introducing the 12, 8 and 4 viscosity grades when there will be demand by the car manufacturers. This also outlines the likely direction of the lubricant development: oils will become ever thinner but their advanced chemistry must make sure that they still provide the same or better protection as their older, thicker counterparts did.

At least Mobil1 5w30 ESP is API SM/SN graded AND meets the API CF quality standard, so it is apparently equivalent to Mobil1 5w30 Extended Performance. I have not found an ILSAC grading for it though! But since ILSAC oils often carry the API Service Symbol (Donut) including the Energy Conserving designation and/or API Certification Mark (Starburst), I guess I am sort of covered if I decide to try the ESP.

I am still looking for data on drain intervals with the ESP will post if and when I find same

Sources:
1. http://www.oilspecifications.org/ilsac.php
2. http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/sae-16-viscosity-grade.php
3. http://gf-6.com/

4 Likes

Re: The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by IdaraCHODB(m): 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2019
0W16 may be new to America, but it has been in use in Japan for almost 20 years!

Re: The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:35pm On Jul 19, 2019
lalasticlala
Dominique
Mynd44
Seun

Re: The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by sooperrescue(m): 3:56am On Jul 20, 2019
Mobil I esp 5w30 and the extended performance sibling are not the same. The esp does not have the same vehicle specs as it is for gasoline and diesel engines while the extended has the sticker of gasoline engine only. You will also notice that the esp is good for Renault, Peugeot and BMW longlife 04 which has the same properties as Oando 5w30. If you have a Toyota, you have no business using esp as Toyota requires gasoline engine oil only with the Starburst sticker on every Toyota since 2000. Funny enough, these locally sold oils are not suitable for 90% of the modern cars in the country except for the cars that requires an engine that uses petrol and diesel. And when you say 5w30 is better than 5w20 in protecting the engine, maybe you are right but Toyota camry muscle does not recommend 5w30 for the engine. It is either you use 5w20 or 0w20. On a range rover, if the car states use 5w20 and you use 5w30 for the 2010 model, you will regret taking the risk as you will make my guys in ladipo to be smiling to the bank. The 0w16 is already being sold in the country and it is a German oil. The Germans even came to my workshop and we discussed about our problem with the oil sector. They have the best 5w20 and 0w20 in the country right now. They even have C1 good for diesel engines. If Toyota says use 5w30, please don't buy any 5w30 you see, make sure that the oil is gasoline engine only and not diesel and gasoline like we find locally. Make sure that it is energy conserving or resource conserving. Toyota does not recommend any brand of oils but it has stated the attributes of the oil. Glife oil is being used by a lot of people irrespective of the car. But it is suitable for compact cars. There is also Motul engine oil sold locally. It's 5w30 api sl is the best for Toyota as Api sl was the last oil recommended by Toyota till they moved to 5w20. Please let everyone make our naija used cars to endure and not those cars that are being rejected because of poor maintenance.
Re: The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by AutoElectNG: 12:39am On Feb 19, 2020
Are you ready for ILSAC GF-6 oils?

The first allowable use of ILSAC GF-6 is set for May 1, 2020.

You have got a month and a few days to read up, stock up and generally prepare for the new classification.

2 Likes

Re: The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by sooperrescue(m): 11:10am On Feb 19, 2020
AutoElectNG:
Are you ready for ILSAC GF-6 oils?

The first allowable use of ILSAC GF-6 is set for May 1, 2020.

You have got a month and a few days to read up, stock up and generally prepare for the new classification.
Which one is ilsac6 again? Total just introduced ilsac gf5 0w20 engine oil. Let me follow your advice and go and read. SN plus nko?
Re: The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by AutoElectNG: 11:18am On Feb 20, 2020
sooperrescue:

Which one is ilsac6 again? Total just introduced ilsac gf5 0w20 engine oil. Let me follow your advice and go and read. SN plus nko?

API SN PLUS was introduced on 1 May 2019 due to the delays in the development of ILSAC GF-6. It came as a result of requests from OEMs for a supplement to the SN category to ensure the adequate protection of current vehicles for a potential problem that was not being addressed fast enough. It introduced the Sequence IX test to enhance low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection and often shifted engine oil formulations to a more magnesium-rich detergent system with less calcium detergent.

ILSAC GF-6 looks to include those improvements for LSPI protection but also adds other performance improvements. By including new limits and new tests, it delivers improved deposits, wear and efficiency as OEMs push the engine design envelope for performance, longevity and fuel economy. The new category also addresses two specific operational issues by providing LSPI protection (consistent with API SN PLUS) and a newly added element of timing chain wear protection. In addition to better fuel economy across today’s ILSAC viscosity grades, ILSAC GF-6 establishes a specification that now enables lower viscosity SAE 0W-16 oils to be introduced to support fuel economy improvement with an ILSAC certification mark.

During the update of ILSAC GF- categories, the prior category is only valid over a one year transition period. This means that GF-1 to GF-4 are obsolete and GF-5 will no longer be recommended after May 1 2021. However, the API specification only becomes obsolete when it is no longer required or when the tests become unavailable. This has been the case because the ILSAC specification is specifically designed to meet the emission and fuel economy regulations for North American vehicles. OEMs would prefer that all vehicles are upgraded to the latest lubricant, and therefore recommend the current oil, which is back serviceable to the older engines. The API S specifications are used globally and some of the older S specifications are still used in developing countries and with engines not requiring the current level of fuel economy or durability.

I will not take credit for the above analysis, it is all courtesy of Infineum International Limited.

In any case whether we like it or not from May 1, 2021 all new cars will recommend the use of
ILSAC GF-6 oils

lalasticlala
Dominique
Mynd44
Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The SAE 16 Viscosity Grade - An Advancement In Engine Oil Formulation by EngRichie: 3:58pm On Feb 20, 2020
Nice and informative writeup.

(1) (Reply)

2002 Toyota Camry, 2004 Honda Acord And 2003 Honday Civic Which Should I Go For / Toyota Corolla 2006 Problem / Will You Buy Chinese made Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.