Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,800 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... (40323 Views)

Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / Lady Designs Condom Made Cloth For Hiv Awareness (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Disneyboy: 7:30am On Sep 09, 2015
theimmie:
What of AC and AA... What are the medical implications?

they are good to marry.....AA+AC===AA,AC,AA,AC
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by dmcdad: 7:30am On Sep 09, 2015
pet4ril:
don't be deceived my dear, some suffered it and never knew what it was.... I saw a couple dat has 8 children n 5 of dem happened to be sickle cells n about 4 was dead the last time I saw them remaining only one... so we should be grateful that we know what it is... please give a Bleep for dis. is 21st century
True. There is need to create more awareness. Information they say is light, and knowledge is potential power. Forewarning is forearming.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Disneyboy: 7:36am On Sep 09, 2015
gurunlocker:
heard of AC............. What of AA and AC? or AS and AC?

AA and AC are OK....but AS and AC are not...
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:37am On Sep 09, 2015
Cameleon72:
Lord thank you for making me unique. Blood group O-; genotype AA...
Ah Heard If same Blood Group (O+ Marry O+) Get Married they'll be unable to bear children. Na true?
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by MEILYN(m): 7:48am On Sep 09, 2015
bettercreature:
AA are good in term of sickle cell but not good when it comes to Malaria
This is very true. The only thing that makes me fall sick is malaria. I don't fall ill at all until malaria attacks.

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by MEILYN(m): 7:50am On Sep 09, 2015
I am AS and O+........ I thank God for this.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Funjosh(m): 7:53am On Sep 09, 2015
MEILYN:
I am AS and O+........ I thank God for this.

Same as I, I bless God smiley

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 09, 2015
pet4ril:
you have nothing to worry about ur future kids for they will all turn AS, as to manage her crisis especially during pregnancy, make sure you get a doctor although she will be needing multiple professionals to take care of her.... if the cash is there, brother I wish you all the best of luck
Thank u sir
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by sekzy99(m): 7:59am On Sep 09, 2015
damiloladuke:
hilarious

I REP ROYAL INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
•••I REP ABESAN HIGH SCHOOL
•••I REP FUNAAB

•••check my signature
wic set? @royal college baruwa
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by petercoolkid(m): 8:00am On Sep 09, 2015
Hmmm. Are you a student who happens to be a makeup artist, Shoemaker, fashion designer or offer any form of services. Do you want people to know about your services, increase sells or have more agents? If yes, then contact D Explicit_PR via BBM: 569D117E; Twitter @Explicit_PR or Instagram @D_Explicit_PR.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Sanguine77(m): 8:07am On Sep 09, 2015
cozy7:
So u really no d meaning of "brat"? By d way, y are u ranting like a condemned SS and HIV patient? I suggest u go to hell n lick your wounds.
Its know not no! I will not dignify you with a response, olodo!
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by jojomario(m): 8:11am On Sep 09, 2015
Abali1:

AC + AS will likely produce,
AA, AC, AS, SC
That's the probability in every pregnancy.
is there any medical implications on the results given?
if any, state them.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Frankaka8(m): 8:23am On Sep 09, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
the last time I checked my genotype it was BB
dats the genotype of a baboon! Guess u should reside in d zoo.... #jez kidding.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 8:31am On Sep 09, 2015
jojomario:
is there any medical implications on the results given?
if any, state them.
SC is another variant of the sickle cell disease. While AC and AS will be okay if they were to marry AA genotype only.
SC has as much pain crisis as SS, so don't play with it.

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 8:35am On Sep 09, 2015
dmcdad:

I see... Which means the outcome could spin anywhere. How about with AA? AC + AA = ?
AC + AA
AA, AC, AC, AA
That's why AC and AS are advised to marry someone with AA. Let's help reduce the incidence of SS or SC or Sickle Beta in our generation and the generation next.
Spread the awareness.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 8:37am On Sep 09, 2015
Funjosh:

AbalI1 how are you doing, what of madam and family. Am happy to hear from you bro. smiley
my brother, we dey. I saw this thread and decided to step in a bit. Many think Sickle cell is a joke or something to be joked with. Smh.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by dmcdad: 8:41am On Sep 09, 2015
Abali1:

AC + AA
AA, AC, AC, AA
That's why AC and AS are advised to marry someone with AA. Let's help reduce the incidence of SS or SC or Sickle Beta in our generation and the generation next.
Spread the awareness.
Hmmm. Nice. Thank goodness I am AA. I could help a soul out. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 8:44am On Sep 09, 2015
dmcdad:

Hmmm. Nice. Thank goodness I am AA. I could help a soul out. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Yeah. You could help. At least you can equally spread the awareness of SCD. We need to help our generation and the generation next.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by yetseyi(f): 8:45am On Sep 09, 2015
YoungDaNaval:
Ah Heard If same Blood Group (O+ Marry O+) Get Married they'll be unable to bear children. Na true?

Wrong please, very very wrong.

The only time an issue may occur is if one of the parents blood group is rhesus negative i.e having blood groups of O-,A- AB-, etc and the other parent is positive a challenge may occur during childbirth.

Thats why its good to know these things before marriage , The doctors have an injection given to the woman in the scenerio above and all is well and the child is healthy.

I really cant go into details of the rhesus factor issue right now.
Someone should please explain further,

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 8:48am On Sep 09, 2015
streetzdreamz:
Nice, educative thread! Not the usual ten poo to do when asking a lady out, or some bullshit about dem gaudy entertainers, my genotype n blood group is a perfect match, always wished to meet a lady with a SS genotype someday.
Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it. It takes more than I love her/him to marry a warrior.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:51am On Sep 09, 2015
Very educative thread!!
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 8:52am On Sep 09, 2015
Punstar:
There has always being a lot f kids in this section ...Such an important issue yet trivial responses

Pls anyone heard abt Prenatal Genotype Diagnosis

Na God and this PGD I dey count on ooooo. #LoveComesFirst.
It cost a lot of money to do that. And if after the result comes out and the baby is SS what will you do? Abort?
Now how many prenatal diagnosis will a couple do before they get it right?
My brother, we believe that if people put emotions in check, life will be easier.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Leviseed: 8:54am On Sep 09, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
the last time I checked my genotype it was BB
BlackBerry blood
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Omotayor123(f): 8:58am On Sep 09, 2015
jonaji:
Know your genotype before you say yes to that
handsome guy and beautiful lady whom you
wish to spend the rest of your life with.

Genotype and It's Appropriate Suitor:

AA + AA = Excellent

AA + AS = Good

AA + SS = Fair

AS + AS = Bad

AS + SS = Very Bad

SS + SS = Extremely Bad (In fact, don't try it).

#SickleCellAwareness

Pls share with others...

What about the genotype AC & SC.... You don't know or haven't heard about those
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by streetzdreamz(m): 8:58am On Sep 09, 2015
Abali1:

Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it. It takes more than I love her/him to marry a warrior.
so? Ain't ss carriers humans?oh! Diseases, death and what else again? Tell me are normal humans not prone to this two things ordinarily? You people need to stop running from death cuz it won't come, it will come knocking when you least expect it,if I end up meeting a woman that will change MA belief about marriage, and she is a carrier, we definitely walking down the aisle.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 9:02am On Sep 09, 2015
pet4ril:
don't be deceived my dear, some suffered it and never knew what it was.... I saw a couple dat has 8 children n 5 of dem happened to be sickle cells n about 4 was dead the last time I saw them remaining only one... so we should be grateful that we know what it is... please give a Bleep for dis. is 21st century
The popular ogbanje and abiku of those days, were actually SS. But because they don't know about genotype testing or compatibility they labelled it those names.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by dmcdad: 9:03am On Sep 09, 2015
Abali1:

Yeah. You could help. At least you can equally spread the awareness of SCD. We need to help our generation and the generation next.
True.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 09, 2015
dmcdad:

Wow... Whats the extent of AC in relation to AS and SS?

I'm not really sure as there seem to be not much information about it or I have not dug enough but I heard it is better off compared to AS, SS and SC.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 9:07am On Sep 09, 2015
streetzdreamz:
so? Ain't ss carriers humans?oh! Diseases, death and what else again? Tell me are normal humans not prone to this two things ordinarily? You people need to stop running from death cuz it won't come, it will come knocking when you least expect it,if I end up meeting a woman that will change MA belief about marriage, and she is a carrier, we definitely walking down the aisle.
I am SS. I cannot for the life of me discriminate against my kind.
What I actually mean is that when you meet one and marriage is being discussed will you be able to stand by her and ignore dissenting voices from family and friends?
Do you know how many ladies who rejected my hand in marriage because of pressure from family and friends? Bro, it takes just more than love to really be with a warrior.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by polarman(m): 9:07am On Sep 09, 2015
@OP, nice one.

True life Story.

A friend is AS, he married a lady who is/was also AS. All pleas feel on deaf ears because the lady in question was pregnant for him and they were both in love.

So they married, gave birth to a girl who is AA and somehow, they haven't given birth again. The lady suddenly became desperate to get a baby. She actually got pregnant but lost it after 10 weeks and she took ill and died.

Now, Two years down the line, the husband (AS) has found someone else who is AA and they are married.

My advise, once you are AS, look for AA genotype person to marry. It is possible to eradicate the 'S' strand with his move. Do not let love blind you to this point. If you are AS and your spouse is AS, you guys might enjoy your life but think about your children, the money and the time you would be spending on medicare for the SS child.

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Funjosh(m): 9:28am On Sep 09, 2015
Abali1:

my brother, we dey. I saw this thread and decided to step in a bit. Many think Sickle cell is a joke or something to be joked with. Smh.

Let's just keep on educating them in our little way.

My Neice Just came back from a week long pain on her right leg now. Thank God she is back.

Once again happy to know you are ok bro smiley
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by dmcdad: 9:29am On Sep 09, 2015
9jacrip:

I'm not really sure as there seem to be not much information about it or I have not dug enough but I heard it is better off compared to AS, SS and SC.
Ohh I see... more like pre-AS I guess.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Man Falls Off A Palm Tree While Displaying His Youthfulness In Enugu - Pictures / How Nigeria’s 36 States Fare In HIV Prevalence / Chika Ofor Allegedly Poisoned To Death At Wake Keep In Umuahia (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.