Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust (12136 Views)

Nigeria To Generate $16.4 Billion From Asset Sales / Saraki: CCB In Fresh Move Against Senators, Reps / Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by tayebest(m): 9:05am On Sep 08, 2015
Federal legislators yesterday declined to follow the example set by President Muhammadu Buhari and his deputy, Yemi Osinbajo by making public disclosure of their assets.

Buhari and Osinbajo last week made their assets public in line with their electioneering campaign promises. While Buhari had less than N30m in his account, Osinbajo had N94m and 900,000 Dollars in his bank accounts.

However, Senators and members of the House of Representatives who spoke to Daily Trust yesterday said it was not mandatory to go public after declaring their assets with the Code of Conduct Bureau.

Our correspondents report that there is a growing demand by the public for the legislators and even state governors to follow the example of the president and his deputy.

Meanwhile, only one senator out of 469 federal legislators has gone public with his asset declaration.

Senator Shehu Sani(Kaduna central, APC) on Friday declared as his asset four residential houses in Kaduna, two uncompleted office complexes, two inherited family house in kurfi, katsina state and Minna Niger state and one residential house in Abuja. He also declared that he has N22 million in his Bank account. Listed on his form were two wives and six children. Sani, an activist turned politician, is now having problems with many of his colleagues for putting them on the spotlight.

In an interview, Sani said: “Some of my colleagues are not happy over it but I don’t care because I did it as President Buhari has set a moral standard for all elected office holders and secondly, there is need for every one of us to come clean as regard to the suspicion and distrust between the government and the governed.

“The constitution makes it optional for elected office holders. If you so wish you can make it public or you do it secretly but the secret declaration has been abused over the years.

“Public declaration does not make one saint but it affords the public to know the worth of their leaders. I urge all lawmakers in Nigeria to toe this line of honour. “It’s better to be pelted for disclosing than to be cursed for not disclosing,” he said in a phone interview.

When contacted on phone, the spokesperson of the Senate, Dino Melaye said Senators cannot be compelled to make their asset public.

“Making asset declaration public is personal and Senators can only make their public individually. I can speak for Senators on this. I cannot compel any Senator to declare his or asset but it is a great thing that people are making their asset public and I support it. Watch out for my own too because there is nothing to hide,” he said.

Similarly, the spokesperson of the House of Representatives, Sani Zorro said that the public declaration of assets by individual lawmaker is optional.

He said individual members had even before their swearing in on June 9 disclosed their assets to the Code of Conduct Bureau in line with constitutional requirement.

Asked if the lawmakers would follow the example of President Buhari and Osinbajo by, Zorro said it is purely an individual choice to do that.

“We have done that to the Code of Conduct Bureau. In fact, it was mandatory for every member to do that before inauguration. All those that were sworn in on June 9 filled a form in which they disclosed their assets to the bureau as required by the constitution.

“But making it public is an optional thing. However, we’ll welcome any member that comes out publicly to declare their assets. It will be in line with transparency and accountability in governance. It will deepen our democracy,” Zorro said. Also speaking, Rep Aminu Saleh Jaji, of Kauran Namoda/Birnin Magaji federal constituency of Zamfara state said: “It’s not
the mere declaration that is the issue here, but this public declaration is more for the executive, president and his deputy, governor and his deputy.

“But as lawmakers, you won’t be sworn-in unless you declare your assets to the Code of Conduct Bureau and a certificate in that regard is issued to you. And all the members did that,” he said.

For his part, Rep Abdulrazak Saad Namdas said: “We have fulfilled our constitutional requirement. People who want to make it public can do that ... It’s an optional thing to tell the world.”
Some lawmakers contacted on the issue
declined comment.

Among the lawmakers are 14 former governors namely; Senate President Bukola Saraki, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, Godswill Akpabio, Jonah Jang, Abdullahi Adamu, Theodore Orji, Aliyu Wamakko, Sam Egwu, Danjuma Goje, Adamu Aliero, George Akume, Joshua Dariye, Bukar Abba Ibrahim and Ahmed Sani Yarima.

Source: http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/news/senators-reps-shy-away-from-asset-disclosure/109924.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by EgusiSoup: 9:05am On Sep 08, 2015
I has always knows that this burukutu kunu burantashi sipping drunk dullard policies will make people to shy instead to make people to smile sad

SPACE FOR SELL

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by orobs93(m): 9:05am On Sep 08, 2015
Ok
The mentality of black man is low...if they can all bring their wealth together and stop looting the Africa treasury..i tell u our continent will be a better place

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by xertyy: 9:05am On Sep 08, 2015
[size=14pt]MAKE ONLINE ORDER HERE AND PAY ON DELIVERY >>> http://www.kaymu.com.ng/bryte-tablet-10-gold-538956.html[/size]

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by Aghanel(m): 9:07am On Sep 08, 2015
I Smell FP
*spreads Mat*I Smell FP
*spreads Mat*
I Smell FP
*spreads Mat*

4 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by omowolewa: 9:09am On Sep 08, 2015
Why won't they shy away?!
You want them to wash their dirty linen in public?! cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by BlackrulesDworld(m): 9:10am On Sep 08, 2015
Why won't they since their hand are not clean

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by BlackrulesDworld(m): 9:10am On Sep 08, 2015
Why won't they since their hands are not clean

5 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by tayebest(m): 9:17am On Sep 08, 2015
Some of them money can complete the second Niger bridge! grin grin grin

27 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by tayebest(m): 9:18am On Sep 08, 2015
omowolewa:
Why won't they shy away?! You want them to wash their dirty linen in public?! cheesy
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by dunkem21(m): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2015
grin ..

No comment.
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by menix(m): 9:44am On Sep 08, 2015
APC sentarors, re u guyz afraid of following d step of ur master..

6 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by midolian(m): 9:45am On Sep 08, 2015
Just as expected grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by steppin: 9:46am On Sep 08, 2015
They ain't shying away, they're just not interested in assets declaration scam put up by Buhari.
Explain to us how your wife got a 10 million Naira wrist watch, then we might start to believe you.

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by AutoCarTrack: 9:46am On Sep 08, 2015
As expected
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by tonychristopher: 9:46am On Sep 08, 2015
Why dem go declare ..you wan put sansan for their garri

Bunch of dishonourable
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
I KNOW THAT USELESS EKWEREMADU IS GOING TO LEAD THE REBELLION. BUNCH OF THIEVES

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by Burger01(m): 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
They must declare their assets. They should follow the footsteps of our president and his vice. After all, Buhari is leading by example.smiley

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by Berrylite: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
The senators will be the last public servant to declare their assets. If they do, we will know how much their salary..

Remove excess fat from the tummy, arm or thigh within 9 days using our natural weight reduction therapy called CLEAN 9. whatsapp 0.8.0.6.7
2.4.8.2.7.8 call: 0.9.0.9.4.0.8.8.9.1.4
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by shaddoww: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
U wan open d yansh of our bodyguard legislator(Dino Melaye) b dat

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by prettytasha(f): 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
sad legislaTHIEVES angry
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
they can all run buh never hide, i wish an active committee would be set up to monitor and make sure there ain't no defaulters...
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by BizBayo: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
Legislootors, please declare your asset oooo. I mean publicly, not just to the Bureau of Condom
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by kenedy175(m): 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
Vampire senators
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by neweraomo: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2015
Why won't they? So many aftermaths
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by adeyemi97(m): 9:48am On Sep 08, 2015
I still see no changes, all i see is corrupt faces

MAKAVELI OFFSPRING IN THIS MOTHERF*CKER
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by Aitee1: 9:49am On Sep 08, 2015
Because they're all thieves!!! angry

1 Like

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by rusher14: 9:49am On Sep 08, 2015
I wish we were politically mature enough to recall any erring legislator.

2 Likes

Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by AmakaDNBStories(f): 9:50am On Sep 08, 2015
OK na
Check my signature.
Re: Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust by oluwapoju(m): 9:50am On Sep 08, 2015
Ole

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saraki: Apc’s Nightmare, Presidency’s Mortal Fear By Jude Ndukwe / Our Diversity Is A Promise For Prosperity - Tinubu At Kukah's Birthday / Buhari Has Failed Nigeria, Reject Him At Poll - Mike Ozekhome Urge Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.