Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,528 members, 7,823,303 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Am I Lazy? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Am I Lazy? (2913 Views)

4 High Paying Jobs Lazy People Should Do / Lazy Jobless Guys Complaining About The Government,you Need To See This(pics) / Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 11, 2015
In 2013 while in my final year in uni, I got a job with a VAS company in Lekki Lagos Nigeria... I left school, came back to Nigeria and took the job (mind you I deferred). It wasn't really about the money but I learnt in a year more that I learnt in my entire 3 years in uni. A year after I resigned, and went back to school... Aster spending a month months plus in school again, I couldn't cope (seeing my peers waste their time partying, clubbing, reading some dumb book and waiting for some non existing job after the completion of their studies), Mind you my staying in school and moving about was self funded.

So I quit finally and moved back to Nigeria fully. Created and incorporated my company and was surviving on the little cash I had left (mind you it was now less than the average security officer's salary in a NG bank)... So upon going low on cash, I applied for some IT / Programming with multi-nationals and advertising agencies jobs in Lagos, and every single one invited me for interviews.

I went for their interviews, and passed all... 4 of them gave me the jobs (with mouth watering salaries). Now here is the issue, I declined all.. not that I don't want to, but I believe I can grow my own Start-up into becoming a major brand in Africa...

But upon discussing the job opportunities with my folks, They came up with the conclusion that I have some people doing me from my village.... why on earth will you reject an offer from E******, Vod***** blah blah blah...They said am just lazy to work...

I dont think so.. But Seeing my reason Am I lazy

--cc --Lalasticlala
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 11, 2015
i would have worked with one of the multinationals while doing my business...until it gets to a point where the money i get from my business is equal or more than what i get from the job...then i quit.

is that not what a normal human being is supposed to do?

14 Likes

Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 11, 2015
I don't think you are lazy at all undecided. You just seem to have questionable decision making skills.

You need cane, not prayers. grin

6 Likes

Re: Am I Lazy? by Ishilove: 8:09am On Sep 11, 2015
You should have worked and raised some capital before quitting, instead of declining their offers.

You are not lazy, you are in need of MFM, Kerubu and CAC deliverance

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Lazy? by Panelbeater(m): 8:10am On Sep 11, 2015
You need pankere..
Oya come and lie donwn here
Re: Am I Lazy? by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:14am On Sep 11, 2015
You're not lazy.... You're very foolish... and I doubt with your sense of reasoning you can actually maintain a "start-up ".
Re: Am I Lazy? by StPete: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2015
I see too much pride. That’s too damn bad!

Why did you apply for the jobs in the first place if you knew you will end up rejecting the offers?…SMH for u

Crass stupidity of the highest order
undecided

4 Likes

Re: Am I Lazy? by funkyjms: 8:23am On Sep 11, 2015
You may also be lazy but absolutely, you don't have a vision. Just like the Sterling Bank advert, "you need to discover the purpose of your existence."
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 11, 2015
JeffreyJamez:
You're not lazy.... You're very foolish.
StPete:
Crass stupidity of the highest order undecided
You that you are not foolish or stup1d, what have you done with your own life? undecided

I wonder what kick you lot get from throwing insults around like teenagers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Lazy? by ednut1(m): 8:35am On Sep 11, 2015
bros village witches at work, so u participated in 4 different recruitment till u got an offer , and turned it down. who does dat undecided, 1-2 years expereience from those companies wud have helped u alot. either u dont knw wat u want or village witches dey at work grin

2 Likes

Re: Am I Lazy? by StPete: 8:41am On Sep 11, 2015
FriedPlantain:

You that you are not foolish or stup1d, what have you done with your own life? undecided

I wonder what kick you lot get from throwing insults around like teenagers.

Your head nor correct. Why did you have to quote my opinion.
I tell u something, his idea of going for and turning down job opportunities was stupid and a slap to genuine job seekers.

Oh, I guess it’s your alternate nairaland account
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 11, 2015
DDeliverer:
i would have worked with one of the multinationals while doing my business...until it gets to a point where the money i get from my business is equal or more than what i get from the job...then i quit.

The start-up I founded, requires my attention 24/7.. but as an IT support personnel or a programmer with any of this companies, I will be required to work from 7am-7pm... and I wont have a second not to talk of an hour to do anything relating to my start-up (which requires a 24/7 attention)... with what I planned, If I took their offers, My start-up will end up dead within a year (Maximum).. and by then someone else will be able to figure out the idea and own it...

#hope you get

For those thinking am lazy, (in my start-up, I write computer programs all night, Attend meetings, co-ordinate those who are working "with" me (Cause they see my vision), Prepare my paper works during the day e.t.c .. Doing this, do you think I will be able to manage a 7am-7pm job daily ?? I don't think so

1 Like

Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 11, 2015
Ishilove:
You should have worked and raised some capital before quitting, instead of declining their offers.

You are not lazy, you are in need of MFM, Kerubu and CAC deliverance

In the cause of raising capital, I will now leave my start-up and let it die? ... Money doesn't solve all problems especially business wise for me, sometimes you need people over money. Thats the way I see things.
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 11, 2015
StPete:

I tell u something, his idea of going for and turning down job opportunities was stupid and a slap to genuine job seekers.

How old are you? 5
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 11, 2015
StPete:
I see too much pride. That’s too damn bad!

Why did you apply for the jobs in the first place if you knew you will end up rejecting the offers?…SMH for u

Crass stupidity of the highest order
undecided

When I applied, I haven't dived deep into my start-up, I was still one leg in , one leg out... By the time their offers came, all my attention / savings was already into my start-up.
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 11, 2015
StPete:

The same way you have the right to voice your opinion about the OP's post is the same way I have the right to voice mine about yours.

A slap on which job seekers? undecided Bar the fact that I do completely agree that the OP has some questionable decision making skills, he can choose to apply for jobs whether he actually needs it or not and also choose whether or not to accept whatever offers he gets. It is a lonely world out there, every man for himself.

I for one apply for jobs, go for interviews and decline a couple of offers even though I have a well paying job. I do this just to assess my marketability and to know if I still haven't lost my job hunting skills. Just like I said earlier, it is my choice and I choose to do whatever I want.

common dude, you are smarter than this, right? . undecided

1 Like

Re: Am I Lazy? by Souljaboi1: 9:00am On Sep 11, 2015
jhimmy:

The start-up I founded, requires my attention 24/7.. but as an IT support personnel or a programmer with any of this companies, I will be required to work from 7am-7pm... and I wont have a second not to talk of an hour to do anything relating to my start-up (which requires a 24/7 attention)... with what I planned, If I took their offers, My start-up will end up dead within a year (Maximum).. and by then someone else will be able to figure out the idea and own it...

#hope you get

For those thinking am lazy, (in my start-up, I write computer programs all night, Attend meetings, co-ordinate those who are working "with" me (Cause they see my vision), Prepare my paper works during the day e.t.c .. Doing this, do you think I will be able to manage a 7am-7pm job daily ?? I don't think so

You seem so sure of what you're doing, I can only but wish you the best.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 11, 2015
jhimmy:

In the cause of raising capital, I will now leave my start-up and let it die? ... Money doesn't solve all problems especially business wise for me, sometimes you need people over money. Thats the way I see things.
You actually have a good intention but how you plan to deal with the problem of finance?
If you had money to finance your business, I would have suggested you focus on that but with your financial incapability, you have no option than to look for ways to source for funds which may include working for people. ..
Can't you take up one of the jobs then do your own private business after work/weekends? When you've gotten what you want, you can resign. ..

Please don't ditch that idea of yours for whatever reason. . Many people pray to come up with a good business idea. You also seem more interested in being an entrepreneur, so with that spirit and right decisions you'll make it...
All d best..
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 11, 2015
MarvellousGod:
You actually have a good intention but how you plan to deal with the problem of finance?
If you had money to finance your business, I would have suggested you focus on that but with your financial incapability, you have no option than to look for ways to source for funds which may include working for people. ..
Can't you take up one of the jobs then do your own private business after work/weekends? When you've gotten what you want, you can resign. ..

Please don't ditch that idea of yours for whatever reason. . Many people pray to come up with a good business idea. You also seem more interested in being an entrepreneur, so with that spirit and right decisions you'll make it...
All d best..

Thanks...I believe the issue of finance wont take much toll on the start-up, as I have laid out plans to jump the hurdle when it becomes evident
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 11, 2015
jhimmy:

Thanks...I believe the issue of finance wont take much toll on the start-up, as I have laid out plans to jump the hurdle when it becomes evident

Jhimmy, did you at least finish school, successfully graduating with a result/certificate?

Before you sell me that line of Bill Gates and others like him being school dropouts please understand that we live in a different society & third world developing nation where the odds are stacked high against us.

In developed nations you can play Tennis like Federrer, Serena etc and make an extremely decent income not so in Naija - I am trying to stress the point of our societies being different and all.

I admire your guts & courage because fortune favours the brave HOWEVER please be cautious not reckless when making your decisions. You don't want a life burdened by the choices you make now and one that will later reflect the consequences of making mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 11, 2015
sihom:

Jhimmy, did you at least finish school, successfully graduating with a result/certificate?

Before you sell me that line of Bill Gates and others like him being school dropouts please understand that we live in a different society & third world developing nation where the odds are stacked high against us.

In developed nations you can play Tennis like Federrer, Serena etc and make an extremely decent income not so in Naija - I am trying to stress the point of our societies being different and all.

I admire your guts & courage because fortune favours the brave HOWEVER please be cautious not reckless when making your decisions. You don't want a life burdened by the choices you make now and one that will later reflect the consequences of making mistakes.

Thanks, I dropped out in my final year, but I enrolled in the Unilag DLI program.
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 11, 2015
I want to start my business too but I need to raise some of the capital from my day & salaried job. I wish you had accepted one of those offers to at least raise capital towards your business.

I have no doubt you would have been paid crazy money which some of us only dream of. With that sort of easy money you do other things, I don't mean to rain on your parade I just want to bring another perspective to this matter.

Plus I wish you had just finished school you were already in final year.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 11, 2015
sihom:
I want to start my business too but I need to raise some of the capital from my day & salaried job. I wish you had accepted one of those offers to at least raise capital towards your business.

I have no doubt you would have been paid crazy money which some of us only dream of. With that sort of easy money you do other things, I don't mean to rain on your parade I just want to bring another perspective to this matter.

Plus I wish you had just finished school you were already in final year.

Having enough capital won't grow a business, but people will... The capital will just set the business up, then what next?... I still believe I made the right choice in every area.
Re: Am I Lazy? by KELVIN086: 10:39am On Sep 11, 2015
u applied for a job u got it and then u declined the offer,bro ur story no make sense na only u get start-up we all have start-ups but na funding we need na why we dey find job to help raise the fund.
Re: Am I Lazy? by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 11, 2015
KELVIN086:
u applied for a job u got it and then u declined the offer,bro ur story no make sense na only u get start-up we all have start-ups but na funding we need na why we dey find job to help raise the fund.

The real Start-up hustlers never take full time jobs!

You my friend are not a real Hustler. Sorry undecided
Re: Am I Lazy? by 3Dee(m): 11:34am On Sep 11, 2015
Not everybody can work under someone, some are meant to be employers of labour.
Bros, abeg the job still dey open?
Re: Am I Lazy? by dandollaz: 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
What do u want to start up?have u planned urself well to raise capital ?been on ur own is far more better but if u dont have enough ccapital or sponsors then u just made a grt mistake to reject etisalat and vodafone offeer
Re: Am I Lazy? by igwedaboss(m): 2:08pm On Sep 11, 2015
DDeliverer:

This is a better plan, Esp if you self funding
Re: Am I Lazy? by dhantey324(m): 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
Lie dey smell
Re: Am I Lazy? by debbydee(f): 4:02pm On Sep 11, 2015
Bros you need to che
jhimmy:

Thanks, I dropped out in my final year, but I enrolled in the Unilag DLI program.

BRos, from your post, i can observe that you do not like finishing up on something before taking up another. My advise to you is complete your studies and face your start up.
Re: Am I Lazy? by Evathyst(f): 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2015
At OP, you're not lazy o. Lazy kwa? It's just that the witches in your village are using your photograph to fan themselves....
Re: Am I Lazy? by abumeinben(m): 7:02pm On Sep 11, 2015
jhimmy:
In 2013 while in my final year in uni, I got a job with a VAS company in Lekki Lagos Nigeria... I left school, came back to Nigeria and took the job (mind you I deferred). It wasn't really about the money but I learnt in a year more that I learnt in my entire 3 years in uni. A year after I resigned, and went back to school... Aster spending a month months plus in school again, I couldn't cope (seeing my peers waste their time partying, clubbing, reading some dumb book and waiting for some non existing job after the completion of their studies), Mind you my staying in school and moving about was self funded.

So I quit finally and moved back to Nigeria fully. Created and incorporated my company and was surviving on the little cash I had left (mind you it was now less than the average security officer's salary in a NG bank)... So upon going low on cash, I applied for some IT / Programming with multi-nationals and advertising agencies jobs in Lagos, and every single one invited me for interviews.

I went for their interviews, and passed all... 4 of them gave me the jobs (with mouth watering salaries). Now here is the issue, I declined all.. not that I don't want to, but I believe I can grow my own Start-up into becoming a major brand in Africa...

But upon discussing the job opportunities with my folks, They came up with the conclusion that I have some people doing me from my village.... why on earth will you reject an offer from E******, Vod***** blah blah blah...They said am just lazy to work...

I dont think so.. But Seeing my reason Am I lazy

--cc --Lalasticlala

What prog language are u on bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

Accenture V Phillips Consulting: Which Is A Better Career Option? / Letter Of Employment From Ascon Oil Coy Nig Ltd / Adesanya And Partners Salary@audit Trainee?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.