Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy (50015 Views)

Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm / "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Sack Farming From Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:47pm On Nov 21, 2015
Pavore9:

You can also add spices like coriander and curry to the mix.
OK... Thanks for the advice, I will seek to work with them.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 5:09pm On Nov 21, 2015
organicfoods:

These will be okay for the top. Coriander is only 7 weeks and you harvest.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:27pm On Nov 21, 2015
Pavore9:

These will be okay for the top. Coriander is only 7 weeks and you harvest.
Great! I have some lettuce seed in place of Coriander.. I do hope it grows just like it.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 9:00pm On Nov 21, 2015
organicfoods:
Great! I have some lettuce seed in place of Coriander.. I do hope it grows just like it.

It will do very well. I have seen folks grow carrots, beetroots, sweet potatoes, maize, spring onions on the top.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 6:31pm On Nov 22, 2015
The experiment so far. Meanwhile soloxam gave me some organic fertilizer to try... I will be using it on my lettuce nursery. It was lovely meeting you soloxam!

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 7:33pm On Nov 22, 2015
organicfoods:

This is the sack that takes up to 100 plants. The soil is changed after every 7 months. It needs watering thrice a week and each sack requires a total of 20 litres of water weekly.

2 Likes

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:21pm On Nov 22, 2015
Pavore9:

This is the sack that takes up to 100 plants. The soil is changed after every 7 months. It needs watering thrice a week and each sack requires a total of 20 litres of water weekly.
Great information thanks for the valuable mentoring.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Newway2(m): 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2015
Great idea. Pls can u give the dimension of d bag? Also, is it suitable for multi-cropping? Or is it only a mono-crop system?

Pavore9:

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 9:36am On Dec 01, 2015
Newway2:
Great idea. Pls can u give the dimension of d bag? Also, is it suitable for multi-cropping? Or is it only a mono-crop system?

I will open a thread hopefully in the coming days on setting up a vertical bag enterprise. It is very suitable for multiply cropping as around one sack, one can grow lettuce, spring onions. celery at the same time and on the top one can grow coriander, our local curry.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 2:39pm On Dec 05, 2015
Journey so far... Purposely crowding the bags to be sure of planting distance.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by jamp: 6:12am On Dec 06, 2015
Can one grow vegetable (ugu) on it
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:51pm On Dec 06, 2015
jamp:
Can one grow vegetable (ugu) on it
Yes you can. Make arrangement for staking with bamboo or available sticks... I am working on ugwu right now. I will the pics in due time.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by iamodenigbo1(m): 11:27pm On Dec 06, 2015
how many seed in one bag and what is the distance between the bags from each other?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:41am On Dec 07, 2015
iamodenigbo1:
how many seed in one bag and what is the distance between the bags from each other?
From the results so far... 2 fts apart will just be fine. The specie I planted is growing like a tree... Lol!
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by iamodenigbo1(m): 8:43am On Dec 07, 2015
organicfoods:
From the results so far... 2 fts apart will just be fine. The specie I planted is growing like a tree... Lol!
thank you bro
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:45am On Dec 07, 2015
iamodenigbo1:
thank you bro
UWC bro.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 9:29am On Dec 07, 2015
organicfoods:

Am just loving your progress as such efforts are what contribute to food security. Dots of little, congregates to make a mass. When an urban dweller realizes that he can grow his vegetables within a sack then would he realize the power in his hands. Some Reverend Sisters from Ghana recently came to Kenya to understudy vermiculture and vertical sack farming since they intend going organic where they would be using manure from their earthworms and vermiliquids for liquid fertilizers. They would be setting up their farm within a space of 120ft by 180ft. From the feasibility studies done, they would be smiling to the bank on a monthly basis! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by lanre2009: 11:58am On Dec 07, 2015
Pavore9:

Am just loving your progress as such efforts are what contribute to food security. Dots of little, congregates to make a mass. When an urban dweller realizes that he can grow his vegetables within a sack then would he realize the power in his hands. Some Reverend Sisters from Ghana recently came to Kenya to understudy vermiculture and vertical sack farming since they intend going organic where they would be using manure from their earthworms and vermiliquids for liquid fertilizers. They would be setting up their farm within a space of 120ft by 180ft. From the feasibility studies done, they would be smiling to the bank on a monthly basis! cheesy cheesy cheesy

I also plan to do the same too very soon...
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:06pm On Dec 07, 2015
Pavore9:

The inspiration I got from your threads and blog is really astonishing... I am building a serious revolution around this concept.. .I have started lready and it's quite interesting... We have many jobless youths that can leverage on the opportunities this concept offers.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 7:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
organicfoods:
The inspiration I got from your threads and blog is really astonishing... I am building a serious revolution around this concept.. .I have started already and it's quite interesting... We have many jobless youths that can leverage on the opportunities this concept offers.

Getting millions of idle youths engaged is no rocket science. I asked some where in one of my posts why Ogun State is not cashing in fortune from Lagosians who spends billions of Naira daily on food despite the fact they are next door neighbours and 5 times the size of Lagos State but just serving as an entry point for trailers of foodstuff from the North?

That is why am so against the purported N5,000 monthly for the unemployed youth as it adds no real value to their lives. Rather than give 1,000 youths N5,000 each which sums up N5m. It should be used to get them resource persons to train them on vertical sack farming, vermiculture, greenhouse construction and post harvest storage where there is no electricity, all these will take only 2 weeks to learn. These idle youths will transform to employers of labour, government will collect taxes from the enterprises they would set up and the ripple effect continues!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by PAL123: 7:39pm On Dec 10, 2015
@organicfoods, please can i have your contacts. Thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:23pm On Dec 10, 2015
PAL123:
@organicfoods, please can i have your contacts. Thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Newway2(m): 2:52am On Dec 17, 2015
Oga @d top, Pls how is d Ugwu in vertical sack doing? Can u post pix? How many Ugwu seeds did u plant/bag?
Also from ur posting, it seems u are using organic fertilizer instead of manure in d sack, how good is d organic fertilizer & can u still help somebody 2 get d it?

organicfoods:
Yes you can. Make arrangement for staking with bamboo or available sticks... I am working on ugwu right now. I will the pics in due time.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:18pm On Dec 17, 2015
Newway2:
Oga @d top, Pls how is d Ugwu in vertical sack doing? Can u post pix? How many Ugwu seeds did u plant/bag?
Also from ur posting, it seems u are using organic fertilizer instead of manure in d sack, how good is d organic fertilizer & can u still help somebody 2 get d it?

I haven't started the Ugu nursery yet... Was preoccupied with onions, lettuce, tomato and sweet pepper. Just got a suitable location for real expansion. It's an abandoned pure water factory with about 2 plots of space available for my use.

On organic fertilizer, I prefer it to manure... reason is that manure tend to provide perfect medium for bacteria and nematodes. All I need for my tomatoes to fruits well is potassium which I am getting from banana ash plus some other materials.

You can get organic fertilizer... Need to know what you need it for.

Nitrogen : for leaves development, worm mould will be perfect
Pottasium : excellent for fruiting like tomatoes.

Phosphorus : for stem development.

Other micro nutrients like boron, zinc and the rest are essential.

Usually nutrients needs of individual varies if you want maximum results.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by okongo(m): 2:20pm On Dec 18, 2015
organicfoods:
I haven't started the Ugu nursery yet... Was preoccupied with onions, lettuce, tomato and sweet pepper. Just got a suitable location for real expansion. It's an abandoned pure water factory with about 2 plots of space available for my use.

On organic fertilizer, I prefer it to manure... reason is that manure tend to provide perfect medium for bacteria and nematodes. All I need for my tomatoes to fruits well is potassium which I am getting from banana ash plus some other materials.

You can get organic fertilizer... Need to know what you need it for.

Nitrogen : for leaves development, worm mould will be perfect
Pottasium : excellent for fruiting like tomatoes.

Phosphorus : for stem development.

Other micro nutrients like boron, zinc and the rest are essential.

Usually nutrients needs of individual varies if you want maximum results.

where are you and can I visit you.?

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:17pm On Dec 18, 2015
okongo:
where are you and can I visit you.?
Sure you can visit me. My office is at Akobo Ibadan.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:21pm On Dec 18, 2015
Meanwhile I transferred the plants to my newly acquired office and the stress on the plant were heart wrecking the next day. But thank goodness they are coming back from the brink of death. Honestly tomatoes are really tough plant... They die hard.. .they are equally as fragile.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:34pm On Dec 18, 2015
We dserve the luck we found... All these space for us to grow crops vertically... . Together with my partner we are moving to the next phase of our revolution.

Land and bore hole all for our use! What a lovely combination. In one of the field, it appears all the worms in world converge there for a festival... Worm cast on the field was about 20 cm deep in some areas

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:40pm On Dec 18, 2015
Bore hole and nursery under mulching.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 8:51pm On Dec 18, 2015
My nurseries consisting of...Tomatoes, Onions, lettuce, cabbage sweet pepper and leek.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Jesusbaby6(f): 6:28am On Dec 19, 2015
[quote author=organicfoods post=41129875]We dserve the luck we found... All these space for us to grow crops vertically... . Together with my partner we are moving to the next phase of our revolution.

Land and bore hole all for our use! What a lovely combination. In one of the field, it appears all the worms in world converge there for a festival... Worm cast on the field was about 20 cm deep in some areas [/quote
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Jesusbaby6(f): 6:30am On Dec 19, 2015
organicfoods:
We dserve the luck we found... All these space for us to grow crops vertically... . Together with my partner we are moving to the next phase of our revolution.

Land and bore hole all for our use! What a lovely combination. In one of the field, it appears all the worms in world converge there for a festival... Worm cast on the field was about 20 cm deep in some areas

Good morning sir, where you able to produce more of d sacks pavore sent? If yes, how much per one and can u pls produce for me? Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria / See Snake I Found On My Farm While Harvesting Cassava / Made In Nigeria Rice From Niger & Kebi States (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.