Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy (50134 Views)

Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm / "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Sack Farming From Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

From your experiment sir how many tons are you expecting from the sacks and how many sacks?
I deploy only one sack! can't tell how the yield would turn out, but for sure it looks very promising.Why I am keen about the success of this project is to avoid what happened last year when the sky refuses to release its rain for more than a month between August and September leading to many loss.

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Jesusbaby6(f): 7:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
organicfoods:
I deploy only one sack! can't tell how the yield would turn out, but for sure it looks very promising.Why I am keen about the success of this project is to avoid what happened last year when the sky refuses to release its rain for more than a month between August and September leading to many loss.

Ok sir
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by osca234: 10:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
organicfoods:

like how many seeds do u have per sack...i want to know how many kg of soyabeans can be gotten from 20 seeds
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 10:49pm On Feb 21, 2016
osca234:

like how many seeds do u have per sack...i want to know how many kg of soyabeans can be gotten from 20 seeds
That's the essence of the trial.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by fayahsoul: 2:02pm On Feb 24, 2016
@OP, my nigga you are doing big things. As you give it shall be given to you abundantly. You mentioned that the sand in the bags ought to be changed every 7 months or thereabout but what if fertilizer is added consistently will this change still be necessarry?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
fayahsoul:
@OP, my nigga you are doing big things. As you give it shall be given to you abundantly. You mentioned that the sand in the bags ought to be changed every 7 months or thereabout but what if fertilizer is added consistently will this change still be necessarry?
Well its relative, depending on the kind of crops you are planting...most vegetables are heavy feeders that needs several nutrients. You wouldn't want a situation where your plant are dry and out on nutrient while in the sack. We are experimenting with soy beans which is Nitrogen fixing for the soil so we can reuse for other plants. Still it depends on the plant and soil. If a soil test is conducted then you can be sure of reusing after the first planting circle if the result comes out well.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 11:37pm On Mar 03, 2016
Finally its here. Vertical Sack Farming free Training sponsored by Notion Africa comes up 9th April 2016. 150 selected youths to be empowered and mentored to start their own farm. Location will be Surulere, Venue not fixed. Attendance is free for everyone.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 7:05am On Mar 04, 2016
organicfoods:
Finally its here. Vertical Sack Farming free Training sponsored by Notion Africa comes up 9th April 2016. 150 selected youths to be empowered and mentored to start their own farm. Location will be Surulere, Venue not fixed. Attendance is free for everyone.

This is commendable.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by greetings(f): 11:17am On Mar 04, 2016
Impressive and interesting! Please how and where do you get your soil?

Pavore9:

This is commendable.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by teddybear3: 11:12pm On Mar 04, 2016
organicfoods:
Well done for this laudable interest in the growth and development of our great nation by this selfless service, thanks so much. You said "150 selected youth" and "attendance is free for everyone" . Please explain further, thanks.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by all3points(m): 3:54pm On Mar 05, 2016
Kudos for all your efforts in vertical farming bro!
How does one sign up for this training?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:18pm On Mar 05, 2016
teddybear3:

Well done for this laudable interest in the growth and development of our great nation by this selfless service, thanks so much. You said "150 selected youth" and "attendance is free for everyone" . Please explain further, thanks.
The training has been shifted due to sponsor's request and other logistics. However it's still coming up in April, watch out here for the date. The sponsor will pick 150 people from local councils in Lagos, the criteria is been worked out. Each selected participants will get 10,000 Naira as take off that will be mentored by us. They are to teach others and pass on the knowledge, A steady market to supply their produce will be developed. All production will be organic and will be sold as organic. We are starting off with Cucumber.

1 Like

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:28pm On Mar 05, 2016
all3points:
Kudos for all your efforts in vertical farming bro!
How does one sign up for this training?
When a new date in April is fixed, I will put that up here. The training will be free for anyone. However, certain criteria will be used to select 150 youths in local councils in Lagos. Five each per council and empowered with 10,000 Naira in scheme to start their own farm that will be mentored and monitored by us. They will also train others.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2016
Pavore9:

This is commendable.
Thanks bro... I have always think of the pix below each time I make progress with this project ..

2 Likes

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by Pavore9: 8:59pm On Mar 05, 2016
organicfoods:
Thanks bro... I have always think of the pix below each time I make progress with this project ..

“Even the caged bird flies out when someone opens the door for it” ― Andrea L'Artiste.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 2:13pm On Mar 06, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

Yes. That is what I intend doing before expanding
How is the Strawberry doing? Besides do you haves seeds for chia,grape and strawberry?
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 3:19pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
Neem oil for my nursery treatment.

Please where can I get these: technisem seedlings, neem oil, organic fertilizer?

cc: Pavore9
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 3:25pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
Mixing soil with organic fertilizer... I saw some nematodes and of course earth worms. I intend to keep the nematodes under check using the organic fertilizer and my home made pesticides consisting of neem oil and local soap.

What's the use of the neem oil? and what are nematodes? What is the effect of the local soap also?

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 3:30pm On Mar 06, 2016
bosunjohns:

What's the use of the neem oil? and what are nematodes?
We use neem oil as organic pesticides. It is cheaper and more effective way to tackle pest. It doesn't kill the good pests like earthworms, and bees that pollinates our fruits. Read more on this link https://www.nairaland.com/2496332/how-make-cheap-organic-pesticides You can contact me on 08034342637 for your neem oil and organic fertilizer.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 3:34pm On Mar 06, 2016
bosunjohns:

What's the use of the neem oil? and what are nematodes? What is the effect of the local soap also?

Local soap serves as organic insecticidal that's high in potassium. It also serves as emulsifier for the neem oil to keep it attached to the treated leaves of plant.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by thuao(m): 3:49pm On Mar 06, 2016
@organicfoods, pls am based in Ibadan, and I m interested in vegetable. cucumber n tomato farming, I wud like to come n learn from you if you don't mind.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 4:22pm On Mar 06, 2016
thuao:
@organicfoods, pls am based in Ibadan, and I m interested in vegetable. cucumber n tomato farming, I wud like to come n learn from you if you don't mind.
You are welcome bro. Call me up and let's fix your coming to the farm.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by thuao(m): 5:35pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
You are welcome bro. Call me up and let's fix your coming to the farm.

Thanks
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by teddybear3: 5:48pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
The training has been shifted due to sponsor's request and other logistics. However it's still coming up in April, watch out here for the date. The sponsor will pick 150 people from local councils in Lagos, the criteria is been worked out. Each selected participants will get 10,000 Naira as take off that will be mentored by us. They are to teach others and pass on the knowledge, A steady market to supply their produce will be developed. All production will be organic and will be sold as organic. We are starting off with Cucumber.
thank you very much, please keep is posted. I will like to verify the ratio of (organic fertilizer to the soil) to get good output
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 6:29pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
My make shift nursery doing well. Sweet pepper appears to love the soil, does better than the tomatoes. I got some giant beans growing in the nursery as well.

Meanwhile, I went to dezengov recently and had a feel of materials used for their green house... Very much like the shaded net.

What's the importance of a Nursery? Can't I just plant the seedlings straight in the sack farm?

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 6:52pm On Mar 06, 2016
bosunjohns:

What's the importance of a Nursery? Can't I just plant the seedlings straight in the sack farm?

Nursery are needed for tendering of the seedlings at early stage to ensure proper development.. I am not a fan of nursery though, they slow down plants development after transplant and I hate it.
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 7:55pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
Vertical farming experiment coming alive
Is the water on that sack not too much?

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 7:55pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
Nursery are needed for tendering of the seedlings at early stage to ensure proper development.. I am not a fan of nursery though, they slow down plants development after transplant and I hate it.

So, is growing my seeds in the nursery compulsory??
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 8:25pm On Mar 06, 2016
Pavore9:

This is the sack that takes up to 100 plants. The soil is changed after every 7 months. It needs watering thrice a week and each sack requires a total of 20 litres of water weekly.

Do you really need to change the soil every 7 months? How about if you keep manuring and adding fertilizer?

cc: organicfoods
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 8:29pm On Mar 06, 2016
Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by bosunjohns(m): 8:29pm On Mar 06, 2016
organicfoods:
Journey so far... Purposely crowding the bags to be sure of planting distance.

Why the stake? Also what's the function of those white ropes??

Re: Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy by organicfoods(m): 9:12pm On Mar 06, 2016
bosunjohns:

Why the stake? Also what's the function of those white ropes??

You will have to do some serious research on growing tomatoes. We have determinate and indeterminate. The one we planted is indeterminate, they can grow very large and keeping them in proper shape from collapsing from winds on their weight requires proper staking as you can see from the pix.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

See Snake I Found On My Farm While Harvesting Cassava / Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria / Made In Nigeria Rice From Niger & Kebi States (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.