Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. - Business (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. (388418 Views)

7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 7 Ultimate Ways To Succeed In Your Online Business!!!!! / Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by goldenval(m): 1:10pm On Jun 16, 2017
samtobi:
Hello Guys,

Hands down to all the Gurus in the house. I hope you guys are hitting it pretty hard on Upwork. As for me, God has been faithful. grin

This particular thread ought to be heat up with discussions, tips and most of our Upwork escapades. Unfortunately, this isn't so. Or are business thread meant to be boring? cry I don't think so.

OK, with that said, let me chip in some of my Upwork adventure. If Romance thread can do that, I don't see why we can't do that here.

Nevertheless, we have had great men who have been used by God to help us in this thread. If you check their lives, you will discover that everything about them screams blessedness at every corner because they always gave out tips.

My sincere greeting goes to the OP of this thread and other great men like Swagger and all. God bless you all!

OK with that in mind, there is something I want to talk about

Shall I tell you?

I am a writer on Upwork. I have never considered myself a great writer. Thanks to Toposquine( aka Tope) who almost made me feel as though my writing is bad as hell.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great man. He made me work my ass out in order to improve my writing skill. That is the secret to success. Always improve on your skills no matter how good you think you are.

I have been in Upwork for almost 6 months now, working and getting paid frequently from clients. My aim actually wasn't the money, but the Job success Score. I needed a Toprated badge so that I can command higher pay from clients.

*Lesson number one* for all new Upworkers, don't work for the money. Work for the rating. Make sure you work for a 5 star rating because therein lies your success.

Recently, I have been conferred a Job success Score I have craved for since I got started. I was however, somewhat disappointed that it wasn't a Top rated score. embarassed

Upwork gave me 90% JBS. Why would they do that? I have got stupendous relationship with all my clients and all my ratings are 5 Stars. The best part is that all my clients except one, are all repeated clients. So, why 90% not 100%.

Well, something inside me said 'maybe my writing isn't good enough.' Another thought said,' 'if your writing isn't that good, your clients wouldn't be repeated clients and they will run a coolnd scream out your lack of success in their comments after slapping you with 1-3 stars.

But the truth is that, I don't even know whether my writing is good or not. Let the client be the judge. But I have learnt something so far and that is, NEVER TO GIVE UP!! cool

So, how did I manage to secure some $$$ from that site all this while? Oh, I know, it is the grace of God. Yes that is it! God's grace.

Back to my Job success score of Why 90% and not 100%?

From my personal research, I gathered that I had just 4 clients for the past 5 months. 3 of these clients have been repeated clients, leaving me with just 1 rating in the space of 2 months.

Finally, the other of my 2 client decided to call it a day, leaving me with just one client. So, I had three reviews in 4 months.

The last client wouldn't let me breath in fresh air. He would always boon me up with a lot of work. That guy alone got me busy for more than a month.

I never knew Singaporeans were that rich. I need to go to that country. I have heard so many good stuff about that country. That guy was a top dollar spender.

Can you believe it that the guy spent almost $1,700 as the total amount of money he spent on his project with me?

Hey, I know what you're thinking, " o boy, this guy don hammer!!" Literally, I'd have swallowed that statement in victory, but I won't because the job took me almost two months. And of course, Upwork will also cut out their 20 percent fee. So, you see, it's nothing.

Article writing takes time and it is stressful!
Article writing has been and will always beg at the feet of topnotch skills like programming, web design web development, and others skills that command top dollar price.

Experts in these fields make that kind of money every week. Ask the likes of Victor, Swagger, etc. They will tell you that they make more than that a week.

Our price as article writers is dirt cheap. If you look at job postings, you'll be discouraged to even bid.

Well, that is a story for another day.

Back to the main discussion. What was I say?.... Oh, I remember, the Singapore guy! Yes, that guy was a blessing. Please God, I need more of this client in my life. grin

However, the young man also decided to give me some rest currently. But he hasn't ended the contract. He is yet to give a rating.

So, as it stands, I have just three 5-star ratings for the period of almost 6 months now. It is not my fault... My clients always bring more work.

So, I figure out that Upwork mainly use the number of positive reviews to rate freelancers. Unlike other Top rated freelance writers who have floods of positive reviews smiling at their account, my account is still laggy behind.

The question right now, which is the reason for this long post is should I buzz my old clients to close the contracts and leave sweet 5 star reviews? Or should I just close all the contract and wait for them to leave a 5-star review? Won't that be rude and unprofessional?

Guys, how have you been able to garner the top rated badge? Most of my clients are always repeated which is good but when they are done, the don't want to close the dem thing.

How do you handle that? Please your response is much appreciated.

Let us discuss... Romance thread shouldn't have upper hand in discussions? This is business for crying out loud!!

Sorry for the long post. I just had some free time today, so I decided to share some vitamin Cs.

More post coming up later specifically for writers. Watch out!!!

What type of articles can you handle the most, pls let me know what's your rate? I have a job for you. Thanks
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Bolabell: 7:12pm On Jun 16, 2017
samtobi:

It seems almost everyone has a boat of money to dish out in that country. I have seen some of their job posts and it pains me so much that I can't bid because my desk is already piled up with too much paper work.

You got me laughing with this line. Wouldn't it be lovely if we could replicate ourselves or get more than 24 h in a day tongue?

I appreciate the tip you gave.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Fingerprinter(m): 3:46pm On Jun 17, 2017
samtobi:

Wow!!

Congrats Bro. I guess you aren't in the writing niche. What niche are you sir?
I sent you pm sir. Please do reply!
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Clone2020(m): 4:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
Fiverr, Upwork, Elance PayPal withdrawal rate N340 per dollar

Only withdrawing $100 and above..

All transactions are done within minutes

My contact in signature.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by kachiz(m): 5:42pm On Jun 17, 2017
@samtobi

What if you try this;

When those your long term clients chat you up next time for probably a new writing gig. Try suggesting to them to end the current contract and rehire you in a new one and of course with a great review.

If ask they ask why, you can tell them "because great reviews are the secrets to getting great gigs in the future" and other extra stuffs you wish to add.

Worked for me once.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 7:07pm On Jun 17, 2017
kachiz:
@samtobi

What if you try this;

When those your long term clients chat you up next time for probably a new writing gig. Try suggesting to them to end the current contract and rehire you in a new one and of course with a great review.

If ask they ask why, you can tell them "because great reviews are the secrets to getting great gigs in the future" and other extra stuffs you wish to add.

Worked for me once.

Hi kachiz,

Thanks for the tip.

You're definitely right. I have thought about that, but I was thinking maybe it wasn't professional.

Well, I'm going to give it a try.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 8:25pm On Jun 17, 2017
Hi guys,

Just like I promised, I'd like to drop one or two tips for writers.

I recently got a message from a friend on Nairaland who complained that he hasn't been getting enough work on Upwork.

When he finally secured only two jobs, his clients weren't satisfied with the quality of work.

The client told him to write a News Script and another complicated piece like that.

The truth is if you tell me to write a News script, I will instantly decline your offer.

The reason is that I am not good in that area of specialization. I won't do well if I decide to take on that project.

Being a writer doesn't mean you can write any content. Not all writers can easily write a poem. If you ask me to write one, I will tell you a big NO! Not all writers can also be a religious writer. The point is, you got to stick or choose the area you think you're good at.

If you are good at writing video script, then stick to it. The main reason is because the more you specialize on a particular niche of writing, the more you become good at it.

I am a copywriter, but I mostly write product reviews and descriptions. I love writing reviews on product compared to writing how to's content.

When I first started, I discovered that I could easily carve out a good review on any product. So, I had to stick to it.

So for the last six months, I have been writing product reviews for client who have been wowed by the quality of work.

Recently, my copyscape account got exhausted. And you know that as a writer, when your client first receive your work, after reading the content, the first place they go is copyscape.

I have tried to purchase a new one, but my UBA Card and Diamond Card aren't working. They have been restricted for international transaction.

I heard UBA Africard can be a perfect solution.

Notwithstanding, I had to write content like that and summit it to my clients without checking copyscape. And to my surprised, non of them have complained about any plagiarism issue.

The reason was because I know how to beat Copyscape when writing product reviews.

This is due to the fact that I have carved out a writing niche for myself.

I have seen some writers who write mainly on beauty product, fishing, hunting, health, fiction, religion, fashion respectively. And they are doing great.

There was a time I lost a job for another competitor. The client told me that she had seen another freelancer who specialized in writing about fashion.

Some even specialized in writing about tech products and they are even earning more than us. They command more pay because clients see them as professionals in that specific field.

Clients don't see us as professionals, they see us as someone who is looking for work because we can put one or two words together without being caught by copyscape.

So, the point right now is to choose a particular writing niche, advertise it on your account and you will continue to smile to the bank.

Thanks for your time.

10 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by pcoolioz(m): 10:18am On Jun 18, 2017
I have been able to get top rated twice now. The second one lasted for just a day. Sad experience but I know I would get it again. I ended inactive contracts myself and it brought me down drastically.

Getting top rated in my books is quite easy. Perhaps because of one specific client I had. The idea is to do more jobs, let the client end the contract and leave you a great review.

I had a lot of short contracts which ran concurrently for about 3 clients. I am certain this was what aided me. Just don't forget to do quality work or it would end up being irrelevant if you are left with a bad review.

That is the best tip I can give. Also, make sure you pick what you can do. As a rule of thumb I always avoid Indians like a plague. Those guys can be demon spawns. Maybe not all of them but sha avoid them for your peace of mind.

@samtobi has basically said the other important things. wish y'all luck.

cheers.

6 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 12:52pm On Jun 18, 2017
goldenval:

What type of articles can you handle the most, pls let me know what's your rate? I have a job for you. Thanks
Long time bro... Biko chat me up...
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2017
What do u think of this niche?

-Transcribing

-Whiteboard Animation

WhatsApp me let's reason together...

#Hardwork pays
#GOE..

-3rnestXchange
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Adebaba1(m): 11:46am On Jun 19, 2017
Upwork is not easy as you guys paint it here, I have been applying but still no Job yet
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ranson(m): 1:20pm On Jun 19, 2017
Adebaba1:
Upwork is not easy as you guys paint it here, I have been applying but still no Job yet

Nobody said it's going to be easy. You just have to keep on trying until you have a break.

You can try Fiverr as well.

Best of luck.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tolajay: 6:07pm On Jun 19, 2017
Are you a writer or an editor? It's time to step up your writing game.

Get:

1. Get a PREMIUM Grammarly Account for 6 months.

2. A powerful software that helps you beat plagiarism checker.

Interested?

Send me a PM or quote me with your drop your digit.

* This no be free something ooo shocked shocked shocked
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 19, 2017
My Level 1 Fiverr account with 16 reviews for sale.

WhatsApp me.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 19, 2017
Sammeyd:
We render the Following Services

EBay checkout with PayPal

Amazon Checkout with PayPal

Withdrawal from Fiverr, Wordgigs, Freelancer or any Upwork site

We provide PayPal Account for any online payment at cheap rate

We also Sell VCC, VBA for US, UK and any European Country

We also sell verified Personal & Business PayPal account

US/UK phone numbers, Remote Desktop Servers and we solve issues with regard to PayPal Account

Feel free to call / Whatsapp : : 08100585820
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by kaycodes: 12:41am On Jun 20, 2017
samtobi:

Wow!!

Congrats Bro. I guess you aren't in the writing niche. What niche are you sir?

Technical Support
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by siralexis(m): 3:16am On Jun 20, 2017
victor101..samtobi..ranson
i am new to upwork...trying to focus on product review...any help please?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by nell4: 4:18am On Jun 20, 2017
samtobi:

Hi Wman,

Thanks and God bless you too. Topsq is a great man no doubt about that. The fact he has the highest rate on Nairaland makes him topnotch.

Of course, he is top rated and that is why he commands high pay. That is it guys, aim for that badge for that is where the liquid gold lies.

Currently I charge $20 for 1000 words on Upwork. That means if I get that badge, my Rate will definitely increase geometrically.

Topsq also started like us, and look at him today--he is a big Boy!!

We can still do it too.

$20 for 1000 words shocked ,very cool .I am currently writing 100 articles for $3.5 per article. I was awarded the job same day I registered on freelancer. I took the job to perfect my writing skills.I receive criticisms along the way ,but my employer has been very helpful. Can't wait to do $20 for 1000 words
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tolajay: 8:03am On Jun 20, 2017
It's exciting reading these comments.

Indeed, Tope was an awesome workmate with clarity of purpose and honest intentions. His drillings no be here ooon. Thought I was one maverick writer until I submitted my first article to him and saw all red markers. I couldn't help but laugh for some 10 minutes. My thoughts revolved around 'who could this guy be to have been able to highlight such load of error in my piece...He really must be good'. Next, I was excited about the future with him, knowing the drillings would make for a better me.

Oh! To add to that, the pay was moderate.

But after couple of weeks, I goofed on one of the articles. Why? I wasn't in the right frame of mind and health and bros needed the piece done within 24 hours (normal thing, right?).

Well, that led to the dissolution of a promising working relationship between Tope and I.

Trust Naija nau. We've moved on and God's been faithful to his words.

My current rate on Upwork is $15 for 500 words. Except I just wan attract the buyer na hin I go give am $5 discount.

My experience with Tope reinforced the need for on-going training and upgrade of one's skills irrespective of the attained heights.

In all, I'm certain there's still more to be earned.

Best!

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by siralexis(m): 9:46am On Jun 20, 2017
tolajay:
It's exciting reading these comments.

Indeed, Tope was an awesome workmate with clarity of purpose and honest intentions. His drillings no be here ooon. Thought I was one maverick writer until I submitted my first article to him and saw all red markers. I couldn't help but laugh for some 10 minutes. My thoughts revolved around 'who could this guy be to have been able to highlight such load of error in my piece...He really must be good'. Next, I was excited about the future with him, knowing the drillings would make for a better me.

Oh! To add to that, the pay was moderate.

But after couple of weeks, I goofed on one of the articles. Why? I wasn't in the right frame of mind and health and bros needed the piece done within 24 hours (normal thing, right?).

Well, that led to the dissolution of a promising working relationship between Tope and I.

Trust Naija nau. We've moved on and God's been faithful to his words.

My current rate on Upwork is $15 for 500 words. Except I just wan attract the buyer na hin I go give am $5 discount.

My experience with Tope reinforced the need for on-going training and upgrade of one's skills irrespective of the attained heights.

In all, I'm certain there's still more to be earned.

Best!

put newbie like me through please
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tolajay: 11:56am On Jun 20, 2017
Brov! The everything needed for success are readily available.

In my summation, it revolves 3 core areas: Skills, Technology and Values.

Skills covers your proficiency in your chosen field/niche. You constantly need to be on top of your game. Be ready to invest in essential professional skills. Learn, unlearn and relearn.

Technology addresses your need for cutting edge tools and techniques to excel. Be ready to research, buy and explore.

Finally, you need to define your style. What values will shape your professional conduct, think client relations. Define your price range and some other essentials. Also, you need patience, prayer and faith in God.

For instance, this thread has loads of valuable insight, just take your time to read back.

Wish us all the best!

siralexis:

2 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tolajay: 11:56am On Jun 20, 2017
Brov! The everything needed for success is readily available.

Skills covers your proficiency in your chosen field/niche. You constantly need to be on top of your game. Be ready to invest in essential professional skills. Learn, unlearn and relearn.

Technology addresses your need for cutting edge tools and techniques to excel. Be ready to research, buy and explore.

Finally, you need to define your style. What values will shape your professional conduct, think client relations. Define your price range and some other essentials. Also, you need patience, prayer and faith in God.

For instance, this thread has loads of valuable insight, just take your time to read back.

Wish us all the best!

siralexis:

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by bizzynix: 12:49pm On Jun 20, 2017
Let us help you withdraw from your Fiverr, Upwork, Iwriter, Freelance, Elance accounts from $50 above into paypal while you get paid in cash instantly. Contact below.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 12:04am On Jun 21, 2017
tolajay:
Brov! The everything needed for success is readily available.

Wish us all the best!

Please do i need to use foreign profile and vpn to get more jobs on upwork?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Clone2020(m): 6:02am On Jun 21, 2017
Fiverr, Upwork and all PayPal withdrawal rate N340 per dollar

Only withdrawing $100 and above

All transactions are done within minutes

My contact in signature

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 7:25am On Jun 22, 2017
siralexis:
victor101..samtobi..ranson

i am new to upwork...trying to focus on product review...any help please?

Hi Siralexis

That is an excellent decision. I hope you have a flare for it and you can do it perfectly well.

The first tip I would give you it to Google topnotch review sites like CNET, PCMAG, thewirecutter, etc. Read up some of their articles, look at their style of writing, then you will get an idea of how to write professional product review.

Also, you need to google info on how to improve your writing skills and how to write a good review.

Note, if you can do this perfectly. You have just earned yourself a copywriting skill for life.

You can even incorporate this skill on your own website tomorrow and earn good bucks from it.

Shalom.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by siralexis(m): 7:33am On Jun 22, 2017
samtobi:

Hi Siralexis

That is an excellent decision. I hope you have a flare for it and you can do it perfectly well.

The first tip I would give you it to Google topnotch review sites like CNET, PCMAG, thewirecutter, etc. Read up some of their articles, look at their style of writing, then you will get an idea of how to write professional product review.

Also, you need to google info on how to improve your writing skills and how to write a good review.

Note, if you can do this perfectly. You have just earned yourself a copywriting skill for life.

You can even incorporate this skill on your own website tomorrow and earn good bucks from it.

Shalom.

thanks man..can i get ur digits incase. .please
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 8:03am On Jun 22, 2017
quote author=tolajay post=57680248]It's exciting reading these comments.

[/quote]

Hi Tolajay,

Nice one! I really envy your rate o. I wish to be like you when I grow up . Your story with Tope is quite interesting.

That guy is strict to the teeth. The problem with him is that he doesn't give you flexibility to write as a creative writer. His instruction kills creativity.

One of my best jobs I had on Upwork was when a client told me that I should write a review on a tech product. The best part was that he gave me a free hand to write any amount of words I deem fit.

Why? Because he loved the creativity and the style of writing on the sample I showed him.

So, anyone who had been writing for Tope for a long time is indeed a great writer. (In fact, I need your help, if you'd write for me too, I don't mind)

Unfortunately, I wasn't good enough for Tope's kind of writing. After he terminated my contract, I had to look forward. I updated my skills, carved out my niche and since that time, God has been faithful. I even got a client who was begging me for a discount when I told him $25 for1000 words, which we eventually settled for $22.

The secret to success is to always improve on yourself. When it comes to writing, you just got to improve on your writing skills. One way you can do that is to always WRITE. Yes, keep writing.

Another way you can also do that is to follow top leaders in your industry. No man is an Ireland of knowledge.

I have like 5 top leaders I have been following for quite some time now.

That is the internet, you have to learn to earn.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 22, 2017
Sammeyd:
We render the Following Services

EBay checkout with PayPal

Amazon Checkout with PayPal

Withdrawal from Fiverr, Wordgigs, Freelancer or any Upwork site

We provide PayPal Account for any online payment at cheap rate

We also Sell VCC, VBA for US, UK and any European Country

We also sell verified Personal & Business PayPal account

US/UK phone numbers, Remote Desktop Servers and we solve issues with regard to PayPal Account

Feel free to call / Whatsapp : 08100585820.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tolajay: 8:24am On Jun 22, 2017
NO!

The troubles of managing a foreign account on Upwork is too much. Simply grow your Nigerian profile.

I got pretty active on Upwork in March 2017. Before then, people contacted for my then specialised niche with an average rate $25/hour but a look at the exchange rate then, didn't motivate me to accept the offer or press forward on Upwork, until recently.

Now, the narrative has evolved.

supergata:
Please do i need to use foreign profile and vpn to get more jobs on upwork?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by modath(f): 8:29am On Jun 22, 2017
I buy payoneer funds at good rate... No Limit..

CASH READY 24/7

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (190) (Reply)

Youwin Business Competition 2013 / Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.