Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria (18349 Views)

My Church Is Aware I’m Member Of Ogboni Confraternity —ogunfuwa, Remo Chief. / Powerful Herbalist And Ogboni Cult Ruler Gives His Life To Christ. / Ogboni Frat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by dejiariyo: 12:56pm On Apr 08, 2009
The venerable Archdeacon, Reverend Thomas Adeshina Jacobson Ogunbiyi was the founder of the ROF. He was born in Isale Eko, Lagos Nigeria. He was the only African archdeacon of the Anglican Communion of his time.

The man was the most distinguished commander of the Britis Empire (BE) as well as the Honourable member of the Legislative Council (MLC). He was also the Licentiate of Theology. He was a spiritual church leader and an innovator who introduced things into the church such as celebration of harvest festival into the Anglican Church in 1910 A.D and at the Holy Trinity Church, Ebute Metta in Lagos State

Ogunbiyi was the man who first put public Christian revival services in practice in 1913 AD when he founded the Lagos Keswick Convention

Through ogunbiyi, Nigerian churches put their heads together to form a body at Onitsha in 1943 AD known as (CCN) Christian Council of Nigeria with the company of all eminent churches of that time such as

1. CMS (church missionary society) known then as Anglican
2. he Methodist church (Wesleyans then)
3. the salvation Army Church
4. the Baptist church

he was a member of ogboni ibile in lagos city. A member of ogboni aborigine in Abeokuta and also a member of osugbo cult in Ijebuland

ogunbiyi was the first olori apena of the fraternity. He died on june 19, 1952

propagators

1. T.A.J. Ogunbiyi was the founder and the first olori Apena of ROF. He was a strong member of the churches like Anglican church as well as catholics. He was a reverend, venerable, archdeacon, politician, doctor, lawyer and a businessman.
2. sir Adeyemo Alakija was the first Olori Oluwo. He was a top member and a leader in the Roman Catholic Church. He was lawyer, politician, journalist and a businessman. He was the chairman of the board of director of NPP & co., the publishers of Nigerian Daily Times in 1926
3. we also have sir adetokunbo adegboyega ademola as the second olori oluwo
4. sir chief david adekunle olaiya adeniji
5. madam joke peters
6. chief j. oladeinde
7. reverend M. somade cole. The vicar of Christ church cathedral

see the list of the ogboni members,they are full of pastors and why does this pastors anc christians say bad things about Ogboni when they actually founded what they called christianity in nigeria.

there is a pastor who is close to obasanjo who is also a member of a big chucrh in nigeria,wont mention name so as to not spark up controversy but u and i know.though he claim to be a former member but to me once an ogboni always an ogboni for life.
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by dbaptist1(m): 10:09pm On Apr 08, 2009
wat u would undersatnd poster is dat i will not refute anything u said here but i ill like to point this out 2 u dat dos men u mentioned might have been recognised by men as pioneers in christianity but dos God know dem
    it's not everybody dat calls Lord , Lord will enter in2 the kingdom of God

be not deceived i will sti tell u dat there are more of them even among the bishopric of my churchim an anglican are members .
so don't be deceived
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by Viable(m): 10:06pm On Apr 09, 2009
@dejiariyo,
can you disclose the source of your information?
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by tpia: 12:35am On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by dejiariyo: 12:55am On Apr 10, 2009
i dont know if given out this website is right but i dont see reformed ogboni as something like secret, u can get some information in here

www.rofonline.org
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by dejiariyo: 12:56am On Apr 10, 2009
this is what they call ogboni in the past. OGBONI FRATERNITY OF THE CHRISTIANS
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by tpia: 1:05am On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by dejiariyo: 2:47am On Apr 10, 2009
tpia:

really? Thats what they called it? na wa oh.

I know after a while membership tended to be secretive in most areas, with a few exceptions.

yea that is what ogboni was called cos its was just for the pple in christianity back in the days but cos some of them christians were becoming greedy they had to go secret
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by tpia: 4:23am On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 6:12pm On Apr 10, 2009
dejiariyo:

this is what they call ogboni in the past. OGBONI FRATERNITY OF THE CHRISTIANS
mr man,try and do a thorough research into isues before making comments based on half truths and distortions, the reason ogboni came to be through xtians is simply due to the fact that the colonialists who brough free mason to africa and by extension nigeria were xtians and introduced it to the closest people to them i.e the african xtians,they in turn now changed the name to ogboni adding there own and subtracting what they r not cool with,all these is contained in a voluminous book about the yorubas and early xtianity,its a shame im not in nigeria as the book is in my dad's library
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by tpia: 6:25pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 6:40pm On Apr 10, 2009
tpia:

are you referring to Samuel Johnson's History of the Yorubas?

Ogboni and Freemasonry definitely have some historical links. there's a Brazilian connection as well.

i dont remember the author's name but the book is quite thick,around the size of a regular bible,it also explains the meaning of yoruba towns like ijebu-ode,illesa e.t.c and how the names came to be,diabolic/occultic mysteries,practises, freemason was imported to several countries,and they all all gave it their own names and re arranged the symbolisms,names,traditions to suit their own cultures
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by tpia: 7:33pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by lucabrasi(m): 9:16pm On Apr 10, 2009
guess it should be on amazon,ill have a look,not sure about the illesa one but the spooky ones that sticks to mind is that of ijebu-ode,aparently its pronounced ije-ibu loosely meaning the food of the ibu(sea or river)the people who were originally kept there were sacrifices meant for the water diety.there was also one about a village/town in either osun or ondo area where they perform this tradition, and at the beginning of it,the king has to step on the blood of female virgins on his way to the special grove and when coming out has to walk over the blood of a male, really spooky
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by JJYOU: 10:34pm On Apr 10, 2009
some people only know the church and not the Christ of the Church.  loads of ogbonis still rule places like the anglican , baptist and the methodist movements in nigeria.

one day we will all face the judge of the heaven and earth and give account of how we spent our lives on this side of eternity. the many rejecting Jesus as Lord and saviour now cant reject Him being Judge on that day for He shall judge all.

o what a weeping and wailing that day will be.  when as the old song say the lost will be be told of their fate.

the gamblerss, the occultist and drunkers would be there. enjoy these old songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5GFV3hrilw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlmz3MEX-s4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpo4R76A4k
[size=18pt]
Close to Thee[/size]

1. Thou my everlasting portion,
more than friend or life to me,
all along my pilgrim journey,
Savior, let me walk with thee.
Refrain:
Close to thee, close to thee,
close to thee, close to thee,
all along my pilgrim journey,
Savior, let me walk with thee.

2. Not for ease or worldly pleasure,
nor for fame my prayer shall be;
gladly will I toil and suffer,
only let me walk with thee.
(Refrain)

3. Lead me through the vale of shadows,
bear me o'er life's fitful sea;
then the gate of life eternal
may I enter, Lord, with thee.
(Refrain)

Text: Fanny J. Crosby
Music: Silas J. Vail
Tune: ---, Meter: 87.87 with Refrain
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by tpia: 12:06am On Apr 11, 2009
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by TarryFour: 1:41am On May 06, 2013
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 7:06am On Sep 21, 2014
A topic originally posted on April 8, 2009 is here with us.
Re: Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria by foreshore(m): 4:35pm On Oct 28, 2020
dejiariyo:
The venerable Archdeacon, Reverend Thomas Adeshina Jacobson Ogunbiyi was the founder of the ROF. He was born in Isale Eko, Lagos Nigeria. He was the only African archdeacon of the Anglican Communion of his time.

The man was the most distinguished commander of the Britis Empire (BE) as well as the Honourable member of the Legislative Council (MLC). He was also the Licentiate of Theology. He was a spiritual church leader and an innovator who introduced things into the church such as celebration of harvest festival into the Anglican Church in 1910 A.D and at the Holy Trinity Church, Ebute Metta in Lagos State

Ogunbiyi was the man who first put public Christian revival services in practice in 1913 AD when he founded the Lagos Keswick Convention

Through ogunbiyi, Nigerian churches put their heads together to form a body at Onitsha in 1943 AD known as (CCN) Christian Council of Nigeria with the company of all eminent churches of that time such as

1. CMS (church missionary society) known then as Anglican
2. he Methodist church (Wesleyans then)
3. the salvation Army Church
4. the Baptist church

he was a member of ogboni ibile in lagos city. A member of ogboni aborigine in Abeokuta and also a member of osugbo cult in Ijebuland

ogunbiyi was the first olori apena of the fraternity. He died on june 19, 1952

propagators

1. T.A.J. Ogunbiyi was the founder and the first olori Apena of ROF. He was a strong member of the churches like Anglican church as well as catholics. He was a reverend, venerable, archdeacon, politician, doctor, lawyer and a businessman.
2. sir Adeyemo Alakija was the first Olori Oluwo. He was a top member and a leader in the Roman Catholic Church. He was lawyer, politician, journalist and a businessman. He was the chairman of the board of director of NPP & co., the publishers of Nigerian Daily Times in 1926
3. we also have sir adetokunbo adegboyega ademola as the second olori oluwo
4. sir chief david adekunle olaiya adeniji
5. madam joke peters
6. chief j. oladeinde
7. reverend M. somade cole. The vicar of Christ church cathedral

see the list of the ogboni members,they are full of pastors and why does this pastors anc christians say bad things about Ogboni when they actually founded what they called christianity in nigeria.

there is a pastor who is close to obasanjo who is also a member of a big chucrh in nigeria,wont mention name so as to not spark up controversy but u and i know.though he claim to be a former member but to me once an ogboni always an ogboni for life.

According to you.

(1) (Reply)

Giv God A Great Name From Yr Heart / Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? / The Price Is Only Belief/faith In One Single God, Without Parnership. Buy It Low

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.