Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Welcome But Not Needed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Welcome But Not Needed (973 Views)

Couple Expecting Twins Welcome Triplets After 9 Years Of Waiting (Photos) / Nigerian Couple Welcome Twins After 27 Years Of Childless Marriage (Photos) / Nigerian Couple Welcome 5 Kids At The Same Time After 10yrs Of Marriage(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcome But Not Needed by MizMyColi(f): 6:33pm On Sep 13, 2015
cheesy
Good Evening Guys.
I've been meaning to share this on here, and somehow I keep forgetting.
It's a privilege to introduce this writeup and its owner to the world. I have gleaned a great deal from him.
My life has been transformed a great deal just knowing him.
Please be sure to visit his blog.
If you keep an open mind, you won't leave same way you came in.

Now, brace up!
Here it comes!!!!

Have you ever had this happen to you? You have a thought, a vision, an idea, then you share it excitedly with your loved ones (Family, friends etc) and not only do they not buy the idea, they show no sign of supporting or even encouraging it. How did that make you feel? I don’t know about you but in my feelings tend to run the gamut of disappointment, irritation and even anger. Of recent though I have been thinking and I have come to some helpful realizations that I want to share with you. Please note that these are purely my views on the issue and are not all encompassing. Do think about it and if they resonate hold them close and if not drop like them like a bad habit smiley

I looked within of recent and I have traced the roots of the pain that I felt when my thoughts and perspectives were “rejected” by loved ones to two things. Fear and Expectation. Let’s examine each one shall we?

1). Fear. Fear that unless the idea, thought and vision is well received by those close to us (especially parents) that it will not come to pass. This leads to us (almost obsessively) searching for someone that will buy our idea, affirm our thoughts and give us reason to believe that it will work out and when such isn’t forthcoming, we find pain. Pain which usually results in lashing out at those that we care about. But consider these questions:

Does the rejection of our perspective by others annul what We see?

Does the fact that those close to us don’t believe in what we believe make it of none effect?

My answer to both questions is NO. The only person who occupies my energy space in life is ME and the only person that needs to “see” my idea fulfilled for it to be is ME. The acceptance of my vision by my loved ones is welcome but NOT NEEDED for its fulfillment. My vision is at the mercy of no one else but ME.

2). Expectation. We have a vision and we have family and friends and we surmise that our family and friends OUGHT to see things like we do. We expect them to get excited and fired up and when they don’t, the disappointment can be crippling and we find ourselves speaking words like:

“Of all people I thought YOU would understand!!”

” Why can’t YOU see this?!!!”

And what follows is usually us tagging our loved ones as “stupid” (or any other derogatory term) for not seeing what we see and we can end up cutting them out of our lives. But here is another question?

“Is it not unfair to expect another unique individual (no matter who that person is) with his/her own unique world view and context of thinking to (with a certainty) SEE what we see?”

My answer to the question above is NO. My loved ones (no matter how close)are their own people and thus i cannot EXPECT them to understand me utterly and accept my way of thinking. If they happen to do so, their acceptance is welcome but NOT NEEDED. The only person who needs to see what i see is ME.

Remember Jesus when He asked His disciples “Who do men say that I am”? and they gave Him several responses and then He asked “Who do YOU say that I am?” I believe that what others say about your dreams, vision and so on is not needed for your personal joy and peace. Your dreams ache for only one person’s approval. Yours.
https://wordsmithf./2015/08/28/welcome-but-not-needed/

Re: Welcome But Not Needed by Luckymay(f): 6:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
Well as for me, wenever i want to do something, opinions of pple dont count, its my life, my vision and my mission and my accomplishment. I can only seek the advice of those that has been there before me (more like an expertise' advice) i wud have included parents opinion, but most times their opinion dnt count as their thinking revolves around the 90s while mine goes beyond that (vision 2020 kinda' thing)

1 Like

Re: Welcome But Not Needed by Onegai(f): 9:37pm On Sep 13, 2015
This is a really good write-up. Very true too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Welcome But Not Needed by oloyede252(m): 11:24pm On Sep 13, 2015
Too long..

1 Like

Re: Welcome But Not Needed by Google63(m): 11:36pm On Sep 13, 2015
Re: Welcome But Not Needed by eleojo23: 6:35am On Sep 14, 2015
True.
The world can sometimes be a cruel place and doing the unfamiliar brings you face to face with resistance.
You may not always get the support you desires from people around you and it is especially more difficult if the idea that your are sharing with them is not what people are used to. There will always be naysayers.
This means you need to believe in the success of the idea you are pursuing even amidst contrary opinions.

1 Like

Re: Welcome But Not Needed by funkyjms: 7:23am On Sep 14, 2015
Luckymay:
Well as for me, wenever i want to do something, opinions of pple dont count, its my life, my vision and my mission and my accomplishment. I can only seek the advice of those that has been there before me (more like an expertise' advice) i wud have included parents opinion, but most times their opinion dnt count as their thinking revolves around the 90s while mine goes beyond that (vision 2020 kinda' thing)

What is sickening is when they start quoting "What an adult can see bla bla bla undecided"

1 Like

Re: Welcome But Not Needed by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 14, 2015
Like we all know, every human, occasioned by genetics, habits, character and background, is entirely UNIQUE and are designed to behave very differently from us. Everyone sees things from their own peculiar prism. No two humans are exactly alike or ONE.

Well, nothing creates more assurance and excitement than having our ideas welcomed or appropriated by our own very loved ones. It's a natural feeling, but it's also almost suicidal; in most cases they simply won't see issues from OUR own angle.

Humans are naturally interdependent, and therefore in most cases unknowingly seek their validation and approval from those closest to them. But it's a recipe for disappointment and pian. The more we understand the complexity of the human nature, and become aware of our own uniqueness, the better informed we become and the happier shall we be.

Most of the world's problems are relationships; and they're borne of ignorance of humans about their own uniqueness and peculiarity. Once we do, we shall have less pains and sorrow.

Summary is, we must believe our ideas no matter the opinions from others, whether they be just friends or even loved ones. We must be resolute in pursuing our dreams. I believe most times our loved ones subtly reject our ideas because they know our pursuit of our dreams might make us to change some habits and lifestyles that THEY consider very dear to THEM. They're simply scared of change!

It takes some level of madness to standout from the crowd. We must be mad enough to pursue our dreams and visions. When we make it big, they shall see the vision we saw earlier.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

If Nigeria Were Eritrea? / Rate My Baby Nephew's Swag (pics) / African Women And Domestic Violence: Be Free From Marriage Of Slavery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.