Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] (30039 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [government Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 6:08pm On Dec 07, 2015
mathefaro:
I didn't check the rest o, but the number 9, I think it's rather coordinate covalent (Dative) bond
pls explain
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by mathefaro(m): 7:05pm On Dec 07, 2015
Geofavor:

pls explain
The question asked for the type of bond in ammonium ion and not ammonia. If it were to be the latter, the answer would have been ordinary covalent bond but the former has coordinate covalent bond.
Nitrogen, 2,5 is deficient of 3 electrons to attain the stable octet configuration of neon (the outermost shell contains 1 pair and 3 single electrons) so it shares it's 3 single electrons with 3 different atoms of hydrogen which also is deficient by 1 electron to attain the stable duplet state of helium. Therefore, on forming ammonia, we have 4 pairs of electrons (1 lone pair and 3 shared pairs). That is ordinary covalent bond because both parties involved in the bond donates an electron.
In this case, we can see that Ammonia(NH3) is already stable with 4 valence pair of electrons. But it still can share it's lone pair with an hydrogen atom that has lost the only electron it has to form (NH4+). This is the concept of coordinate covalent bond(dative) since only ammonia donates the shared pair of electrons with hydrogen not bringing any electron to the table. It should be noted that the + on ammonia represents the extra proton donated by the hydrogen.

Ooops! What a long epistle.
I hope this helps someone though
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 9:45pm On Dec 07, 2015
mathefaro:
The question asked for the type of bond in ammonium ion and not ammonia. If it were to be the latter, the answer would have been ordinary covalent bond but the former has coordinate covalent bond.
Nitrogen, 2,5 is deficient of 3 electrons to attain the stable octet configuration of neon (the outermost shell contains 1 pair and 3 single electrons) so it shares it's 3 single electrons with 3 different atoms of hydrogen which also is deficient by 1 electron to attain the stable duplet state of helium. Therefore, on forming ammonia, we have 4 pairs of electrons (1 lone pair and 3 shared pairs). That is ordinary covalent bond because both parties involved in the bond donates an electron.
In this case, we can see that Ammonia(NH3) is already stable with 4 valence pair of electrons. But it still can share it's lone pair with an hydrogen atom that has lost the only electron it has to form (NH4+). This is the concept of coordinate covalent bond(dative) since only ammonia donates the shared pair of electrons with hydrogen not bringing any electron to the table. It should be noted that the + on ammonia represents the extra proton donated by the hydrogen.

Ooops! What a long epistle.
I hope this helps someone though
wonderful piece. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by mathefaro(m): 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
Geofavor:

wonderful piece. Thanks!
You're welcome
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 10:09pm On Dec 07, 2015
mathefaro:
You're welcome
pls can you explain why the nitrogen atom has a lone-pair of valence eletrons?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Mheesa(f): 9:21am On Dec 08, 2015
Uhm. .Shouldn't it be the hydrogen with the lone pair. . .NH3--> H+=NH4. . .
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 10:36am On Dec 11, 2015
Mheesa:
Uhm. .Shouldn't it be the hydrogen with the lone pair. . .NH3--> H+=NH4. . .
No. Mathefaro has said it all. The lone pair is on the N-atom.
"Lone pair" means 2 electrons paired together in the same orbital(usually on the last/valence shell).
N has 5 electrons on the valence shell: 2 in 2S, 1 in 2Px, 1 in 2Py,1 in 2Pz.(remember the Hund's rule).
The 2 electrons in 2S orbital is called lone pair electron. It is this lone pair electron that is been "donated into" (not really donated but shared) the empty 1S orbital of "hydrogen ion" (to give rise to coordinate bond... I. e, a bond between lone pair and an empty valence orbital.
Let me add this, note the difference between "H atom" and "H ion". the Atom has 1 electron in the valence shell while in ion, d valence shell /orbital is empty, it is this emptiness that made it easy to accept a lone pair electron.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 11:10am On Dec 11, 2015
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by mathefaro(m): 1:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
Geofavor:

pls can you explain why the nitrogen atom has a lone-pair of valence eletrons?
Yeah, like Oga Oluchi said above, according to Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity, if two or more orbitals of equal energy are available, electrons will occupy them singly before filling them in pairs.
That is, Nitrogen, N whose atomic number is 7
has 2 shells, with 2 electrons in the K-shell and 5 valence electrons (2,5). And since the L-shell contains the s and p orbital with the same energy, the 5 valence electrons are arranged as follows 2s2, 2Px1, 2Py1, 2Pz1. Electrons will occupy the p orbitals singly, before they are paired.
This pair in 2s is then referred to as a lone pair after the formation of ammonia because it is not involved in the formation of ammonia.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 11, 2015
Geofavor:

next cool....
Good try... You got 80% Q5 and 9
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 3:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
mathefaro:
Yeah, like Oga Oluchi said above, according to Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity, if two or more orbitals of equal energy are available, electrons will occupy them singly before filling them in pairs.
has 2 shells, with 2 electrons in the K-shell and 5 valence electrons (2,5). And since the L-shell contains the s and p orbital with the same energy, the 5 valence electrons are arranged as follows 2s2, 2Px2, 2Py1, 2Pz1. Electrons will occupy the p orbitals singly, before they are paired in px.
This pair in px is then referred to as a lone pair after the formation of ammonia because it is not involved in the formation of ammonia.
what about oxygen? It has 2 lone pairs in its outermost shell undecided
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 3:26pm On Dec 11, 2015
icecalm:
Good try... You got 80% Q5 and 9
what's the answer to no. 5?(pls give a sweet explanation grin)
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by mathefaro(m): 3:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
Geofavor:

Yes, 2 pairs and 2 singles. Although, we actually talk about lone pair and shared pairs with regards to molecules formed by covalent bonding. For example, a molecule of water contains 2 shared pairs and 2 lone pairs(the ones on the oxygen atom)
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 4:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
mathefaro:
has 2 shells, with 2 electrons in the K-shell and 5 valence electrons (2,5). And since the L-shell contains the s and p orbital with the same energy, the 5 valence electrons are arranged as follows 2s2, 2Px2, 2Py1, 2Pz1. Electrons will occupy the p orbitals singly, before they are paired in px.
This pair in px is then referred to as a lone pair after the formation of ammonia because it is not involved in the formation of ammonia.
The election in 2Px is 1. Try to edit, I know it's a typo.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 5:07pm On Dec 11, 2015
Geofavor:

If you want to know d no of lone pair in an atom, try write out the electronic configuration of the outermost/valence shell with respect to S, Px Py Pz orbitals.
For oxygen, O=8.
K shell=2
L shell=6..... 2S=2, 2Px=2, 2Py=1, 2Pz=1
from the configuration above, the two orbitals (2S, 2Px) contain the two lone pair in oxygen atom.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by mathefaro(m): 7:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
OluchiDelly:

The election in 2Px is 1. Try to edit, I know it's a typo.
Yeah, I've edited the post. Thanks boss
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2015
mathefaro:
Yes, 2 pairs and 2 singles. Although, we actually talk about lone pair and shared pairs with regards to molecules formed by covalent bonding. For example, a molecule of water contains 2 shared pairs and 2 lone pairs(the ones on the oxygen atom)
don't mind me - i wasn't thinking clearly when i asked that question - i was taking oxygen's atomic number to be 6 instead of 8. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:00pm On Dec 11, 2015
OluchiDelly:

If you want to know d no of lone pair in an atom, try write out the electronic configuration of the outermost/valence shell with respect to S, Px Py Pz orbitals.
For oxygen, O=8.
K shell=2
L shell=6..... 2S=2, 2Px=2, 2Py=1, 2Pz=1
from the configuration above, the two orbitals (2S, 2Px) contain the two lone pair in oxygen atom.
yuP yuP, thanks. Btw, i hail you o. cool... Are you also taking Physics?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 8:14pm On Dec 11, 2015
Am rili interested!
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
Geofavor:

what's the answer to no. 5?(pls give a sweet explanation grin)
The ionization energy of elements of the periodic table increase across a period. The more electronegative elements tend to pull electrons into there shell, thus accepting more electrons to it shell so it could achieve the octet or duplet state. But for the less electronegative elements it's the opposite. They tend to lose electrons to an acceptor. The energy needed to remove an electron from it shell is refer to as ionization energy. So moving across periods we will observe that the energy will increase from left (metals) to right (non metals) and decrease down the group as the higher the atomic radii the lesser the amount of energy required to remove electrons from the shell. An important thing you already know; the ionic or atomic radii decrease across periods will help you understand this well. Since the closer the electrons are to the nucleus the more the coulomb force of attraction between the positive and negative charges of the atom and hence the energy required to separate them will be higher.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 11:23pm On Dec 11, 2015
icecalm:
The ionization energy of elements of the periodic table increase across a period. The more electronegative elements tend to pull electrons into there shell, thus accepting more electrons to it shell so it could achieve the octet or duplet state. But for the less electronegative elements it's the opposite. They tend to lose electrons to an acceptor. The energy needed to remove an electron from it shell is refer to as ionization energy. So moving across periods we will observe that the energy will increase from left (metals) to right (non metals) and decrease down the group as the higher the atomic radii the lesser the amount of energy required to remove electrons from the shell. An important thing you already know; the ionic or atomic radii decrease across periods will help you understand this well. Since the closer the electrons are to the nucleus the more the coulomb force of attraction between the positive and negative charges of the atom and hence the energy required to separate them will be higher.
alright, thanks. smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by princealexndre(m): 3:28am On Dec 12, 2015
NMR pls(NUCLEAR MAGNETIC RESONANCE)
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 5:23pm On Dec 12, 2015
Geofavor:

yuP yuP, thanks. Btw, i hail you o. cool... Are you also taking Physics?
I can but not like chemistry cos I studied chemistry related course. I may not really remember some concepts very well, since nothing motivates me to read Physics again cos m not in the academic line n d time is not there for me.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 5:26pm On Dec 12, 2015
princealexndre:
NMR pls(NUCLEAR MAGNETIC RESONANCE)
Be elaborate... What happen to nmr.?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 9:11pm On Dec 12, 2015
OluchiDelly:

I can but not like chemistry cos I studied chemistry. The last time I wrote Physics exam was 1998 waec, I may not really remember some concepts very well, since nothing motivates me to read Physics again cos m not in the academic line n d time is not there for me.
alright smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by seuntosyn: 12:13am On Dec 13, 2015
how i can i go from total chemistry dullard to become very good in chemistry in 3months. PLEASE I need details and not story or affront
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by DOCTORPRESH: 3:45pm On Dec 13, 2015
Minimum of 6hours a day on chemistry should do the magic. My humble opinion
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 12:37am On Dec 15, 2015
seuntosyn:
how i can i go from total chemistry dullard to become very
good in chemistry in 3months.
PLEASE
I need details and not story or affront
CURIOUSITY: you have to be curious about everything Physical - as chemistry can exPlain anything you can see(sometimes with the aid of instruments), feel and touch. This is the most imPortant thing you need to do - getting curious. Curiosity is what will Push you to really learn.

THOUGHTS: make a good effort to think about chemistry toPics/ideas/concePts almost all the time. This will fuel your curiousity - as questions will always arise when you think( note: thinking differs from worrying).

TIME: if you want to start murdering chemistry questions in just 3 months from now, you have to be ready to do the time. grin. This means you have to eliminate distractions, and challenges which tend to limit the amount of time you have to study have to be dealth with.

STUDY: make a study Plan. Only you can make one for yourself; you know yourself more than anyone else. You should have a scheme-of-work/syllabus to follow.

ARTICLES: more often than not, you will find it hard to understand the jargon your textbooks are talking about. Not to worry, just go on google and ask about that thing; in most cases, google will direct you to several educational sites which have articles on the Phrase/clause you entered.
The good thing about these articles is that, they are written colloquially, so, anybody could read and understand them.

PERSISTENCE: you have to read on, whether you understand or not. Remember, you have a syllabus to cover and there is no much time. After reading uP everything (or while moving ahead to other toPics) go back to those Parts you didn't understand; by then it will be less vague to you. Goodluck smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 12:50am On Dec 15, 2015
Icecalm, oluchidelly... Questions on nuclear chemistry
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by seuntosyn: 6:32pm On Dec 15, 2015
Geofavor:

CURIOUSITY: you have to be curious about everything Physical - as chemistry can exPlain anything you can see(sometimes with the aid of instruments), feel and touch. This is the most imPortant thing you need to do - getting curious. Curiosity is what will Push you to really learn.

THOUGHTS: make a good effort to think about chemistry toPics/ideas/concePts almost all the time. This will fuel your curiousity - as questions will always arise when you think( note: thinking differs from worrying).

TIME: if you want to start murdering chemistry questions in just 3 months from now, you have to be ready to do the time. grin. This means you have to eliminate distractions, and challenges which tend to limit the amount of time you have to study have to be dealth with.

STUDY: make a study Plan. Only you can make one for yourself; you know yourself more than anyone else. You should have a scheme-of-work/syllabus to follow.

ARTICLES: more often than not, you will find it hard to understand the jargon your textbooks are talking about. Not to worry, just go on google and ask about that thing; in most cases, google will direct you to several educational sites which have articles on the Phrase/clause you entered.
The good thing about these articles is that, they are written colloquially, so, anybody could read and understand them.

PERSISTENCE: you have to read on, whether you understand or not. Remember, you have a syllabus to cover and there is no much time. After reading uP everything (or while moving ahead to other toPics) go back to those Parts you didn't understand; by then it will be less vague to you. Goodluck smiley
. Tanks
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:59pm On Dec 15, 2015
seuntosyn:
. Tanks
anytime smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:10pm On Dec 15, 2015
If 12 and 9 are the atomic numbers of elements A and B respectively, the interatomic bond between these elements is

a) co-ordinate b) neutral c) covalent d) ionic

cc icecalm, oluchidelly, mathfaro. pls help me answer this with a good explanation. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Churns Out 222 First Class Graduates. / Download Full Jamb Book: The Last Days At Forcados High School / UNN Sacks Professor Ugochukwu Uche Who Exposed Colleague’s Fraud- SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.