Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,731 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] (29951 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [government Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 1:03am On Sep 15, 2015
Welcome to the chemistry thread created mainly to assist and prepare the students of chemistry for their upcoming jamb exam.

The syllabus which comprises the topics students will be tested on during the exam will be posted here.
This syllabus will be sequentially adhered to by the students and the tutors.

HOW THE CLASS WILL FUNCTION

tutors are to inform students before-hand about the particular topic that will be taught on a particular day.
So students read up on that topic before lecture, gathering all the problems they encounter while studying the topic.

So basically, when it's time for lecture, the tutor does a quick summary of the topic, touching key areas.(as brief as possible).
Then if the problems gathered by any student while studying was not solved by the tutor's summary of the whole thing, the problems and questions should then be tendered to the tutor. (as many as possible questions)

students and tutors ...................................................................................................... Come in, lets begin early.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 1:16am On Sep 15, 2015
Cc
adebayour26
icecalm
kudderich
mathfero

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 6:47am On Sep 15, 2015
Following...
I have a question ooo, what is ISOTOPY?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Aspiregreat: 7:35am On Sep 15, 2015
*Cat walks into thread*

Hello buddies, let's roll...

Cc.Homosapien
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:51am On Sep 15, 2015
dejt4u:
Following...

boss, isotopy is the natural phenomenon whereby atoms of an element have the same atomic number but different mass number.
The difference in mass number is because of the different number of neutrons in the neucleus of the atoms.

E.g Chlorine, cl, has two sets of isotopes. I.e two sets of atoms with different mass numbers.

Chlorine isotopes are
Cl1735 and Cl1737

the different in mass numbers can be seen in the superscripts.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 7:59am On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:

boss, isotopy is the natural phenomenon whereby atoms of an element have the same atomic number but different mass number.
The difference in mass number is because of the different number of neutrons in the neucleus of the atoms.

E.g Chlorine, cl, has two sets of isotopes. I.e two sets of atoms with different mass numbers.

Chlorine isotopes are
Cl1735 and Cl1737

the different in mass numbers can be seen in the subscript.
thanks for doing justice to my question...

What are the isotopes of hydrogen?

Name them..
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:03am On Sep 15, 2015
dejt4u:
thanks for doing justice to my question...

What are the isotopes of hydrogen?

Name them..
protium, deuterium and tritium.

Protium = 0 neutron + 1 proton

deuterium = 1 neutron + 1 proton

tritium = 2 neutron + 1 proton

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 8:05am On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:
thumb up..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 8:05am On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:
thumb up..
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 8:06am On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:
thumb up..
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:15am On Sep 15, 2015
dejt4u:
thumb up..
lol. I know you were just testing me.
I'm gonna create a physics thread, pls can you handle it?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:23am On Sep 15, 2015
Aspiregreat:
*Cat walks into thread*
Hello buddies, let's roll...

Cc.Homosapien
welcome, miss.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 8:31am On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:

lol. I know you were just testing me.

I'm gonna create a physics thread, pls can you handle it?
I am not testing you.. In fact, i didnt direct my questions to u alone.. I just want pp to learn something here..
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:39am On Sep 15, 2015
dejt4u:
I am not testing you.. In fact, i didnt direct my questions to u alone.. I just want pp to learn something here..
alright thnx.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by angiography(m): 9:03am On Sep 15, 2015
Yea...hope i can input some knowledge in this thread. Chemistry is beautiful!
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 9:22am On Sep 15, 2015
angiography:
your knowledge will be highly welcomed. Thanks
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 9:29am On Sep 15, 2015
PLS SIGNIFY IF YOU'd LIKE TO BE A PART OF THIS, EITHER AS A TUTOR OR A STUDENT. Lets start this asap.

Syllabus coming up shortly. . .
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 10:06am On Sep 15, 2015
CHEMISTRY SYLLABUS

SECTION A: PROPERTIES OF MATTER
CHAPTER 1: SEPERATION OF MIXTURES AND PURIFICATION OF CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES
Pure and Impure Substances
Chemical and Physical Changes
Separation Processes

CHAPTER 2: CHEMICAL COMBINATION
Stoichiometry
Laws of Chemical Combination
Gay Lussac’s Law of Combining Volumes
Avogadro’s Law and The mole Concept
Chemical Symbols and Formulae
Equations and Their Uses

CHAPTER 3: KINETIC THEORY OF MATTER
Application of the Theory to Explain the Nature of Solids, Liquids and Gases
Diffusion of Gases
Gas Laws

CHAPTER 4: ATOMIC STRUCTURE AND BONDING
The Concept of Atoms, Molecules and Ions
Atomic Structure, Electron Configuration,
Atomic Number, Mass Number and Isotopes
The Periodic Table and Periodicity of Elements
Chemical Bonding
Shapes of Simple Molecules
Nuclear Chemistry

CHAPTER 5: AIR
The Usual Constituents
Proportion of Oxygen in Air
Uses of the Noble Gases

CHAPTER 6: WATER
Hard and Soft Water
Purification of Town Water Supplies
Water of Crystallization

CHAPTER 7: ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
Chemical Pollutants
Air Pollution
Water Pollution
Soil Pollution

CHAPTER 8: SOLUBILITY
An Unsaturated, Saturated and Supersaturated Solution
Solubility Curves and Simple Deductions from them
Solvents for Fats, Oil and Paints and their Use for the removal of Stains
Suspensions and Colloids
CHAPTER 9: ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS
General Characteristics and Properties of Acids, Bases and Salts
Acid / Bases Indicators, Basicity of Acids,
Types of Salts
Quantitative Comparison of Conductance of Molar Solutions
Strong Acids and Bases
pH as a Scale of acidity
Acid / Base Titration

SECTION B: REDOX / ELECTROCHEMISTRY
CHAPTER 10: OXIDATION AND REDUCTION
Oxidation and Reduction in Terms of Oxygen and Removal of Hydrogen
Oxidation and Reduction in Terms of Electron Transfer
Use of Oxidation Numbers
CHAPTER 11: ELECTROLYSIS
Electrolytes and Non-electrolytes
Factors Affecting Discharge of Ions at the Electrodes
Faraday’s Laws of Electrolysis
Uses of Electrolysis
Electro-chemical Cells, Redox Series, Half Cell
Reactions and Electrode Potential
Corrosion as an Electrolytic Process

SECTION C: CHEMICAL KINETICS
CHAPTER 12: ENERGY CHANGES
Energy Changes Accompanying Physical and Chemical Changes
Simple Calculations Involving Chemical Reactions
Entropy as Order / Disorder Phenomenon
Spontaneity of Reactions

CHAPTER 13: RATE OF CHEMICAL REACTION
Factors affecting the rate of Chemical Reaction
Activation Energy

CHAPTER 14: CHEMICAL EQUILIBRIUM
Reversible Reactions
Factors Governing the Equilibrium Position
Dynamic Equilibrium and Le Chatelier’s Principle
Equilibrium Constant

SECTION D: DESCRIPTIVE CHEMISTRY OF ELEMENTS
CHAPTER 15: NON-METALS AND THEIR COMPOUNDS
Hydrogen
Halogens
Oxygen
Sulphur
Nitrogen

CHAPTER 16: CARBON AND ITS COMPOUNDS
CHAPTER 17: METALS AND THEIR COMPOUNDS
Principles of the Extraction of Metals
Alkali Metals e.g. Sodium
Alkaline Earth Metals e.g. Calcium, Aluminium, Tin
Transition Metals e.g. Iron and Copper
Alloys

SECTION E: ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
CHAPTER 18: ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
Aliphatic Compounds
Petroleum
IUPAC Nomenclature
Isomerism
Formula of an Organic Compound
Aromatic Compounds
Alkanols
Alkanoic Acids
Alkanoates, Fat and Oil
Alkanals and Alkanones
Amines
Carbohydrates
Giant Molecules and Polymerization

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by zagorakis(m): 10:31am On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:
PLS SIGNIFY IF YOU'd LIKE TO BE A PART OF THIS, EITHER AS A TUTOR OR A STUDENT. Lets start this asap.

Syllabus coming up shortly. . .

pls i'm very much interested in this thread..i find chemistry a little difficult...pls HELP mE WITH OXIDATION AND REDUCTION
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 12:47pm On Sep 15, 2015
zagorakis:

pls i'm very much interested in this thread..i find chemistry a little difficult...pls HELP mE WITH OXIDATION AND REDUCTION
Stay tuned. It will be taught when it's time.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2015
Following and I'll like to be part of d tutors

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Iamoriekaose: 5:09pm On Sep 15, 2015
Following smiley . But pls dont abandon the thread
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by zagorakis(m): 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:
Stay tuned. It will be taught when it's time.
ok..thanks
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 6:49pm On Sep 15, 2015
Iamoriekaose:
Following smiley . But pls dont abandon the thread
Lol. Like the previous one, right?

Don't worry, i'll put in efforts to make sure this one thrives till the end.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 6:53pm On Sep 15, 2015
angiography:
derrick015:
Following and I'll like to be part of d tutors
Pls sirs, kindly view the syllabus and let us know the topics you will be taking.

Thnx
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by angiography(m): 7:00pm On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:

Pls sirs, kindly view the syllabus and let us know the topics you will be taking.

Thnx
always a favourite of the organic aspect.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2015
angiography:

always a favourite of the organic aspect.
Nice, that part proves challenging to students the most. I just hope you'd be around when it's time for that part.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Aspiregreat: 7:29pm On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:

welcome, miss.

Thanks.but pls am a Mr
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:44pm On Sep 15, 2015
Aspiregreat:

Thanks.but pls am a Mr
lol. So why were you catwalking?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Aspiregreat: 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2015
Geofavor:

lol. So why were you catwalking?

The point that i 'catwalked' is none of your biz. I may decide to "dogwalk", 'sheepwalk','horsewalk' even lionwalk. Do you have a problem with That....huhh!sad
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by angiography(m): 9:22pm On Sep 15, 2015
Aspiregreat:

The point that i 'catwalked' is none of your biz. I may decide to "dogwalk", 'sheepwalk','horsewalk' even lionwalk. Do you have a problem with That....huhh!sad
what's wrong with you young man?? U don't have a sense of humour??...abegi
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Kunlexic(m): 9:41pm On Sep 15, 2015
dejt4u:
Following...

am sorry bro for being too 4ward.
Do u make use of islam thread Dat moniker sounds familiar

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

WAEC Announces New Fees For Delay In Collecting Certificate - See New Price / New Look Of Public Schools In Borno State / How Can I Report WAEC Exam Malpractice Happening In My School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.