Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,957 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] (29953 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [government Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 3:36pm On Sep 24, 2015
icecalm:
Here are some questions I was able to compile from the study of matter. Tho this is coming late, I apologize for the time delayed.

(1) Matter can neither be created nor destroyed.
True/False

true

(2) Canonically,the building block of matter is the_______
(a) Atoms
(b) Molecules
(c) Ions
(d) non of the above

(3) Physical change involve the formation of ________
(a) New products
(b) New molecules
(c) New mixtures
(d) non of the above

(4) Which of this is not a chemical change_______
(a) Gas flaring
(b) Burning of coal
(c) Boiling of eggs
(d) setting of mortar

(5) _______Change can easily be separated by ordinary separation techniques.
(a) Physical
(b) Chemical
(c) non of the above
(d) a & b

(6) Ice can float on water because of_______ change on the bonds.
(a) Chemical
(b) Physical
(c) a & b
(d) non of the above

(7) ________ is not a physical change.
(a) conversion of water to steam
(b) phoshorylation of glucose
(c) denaturing of protein by alcohol
(d) drying of mud

(8.) which of the following statement is incorrect?
(a) Both physical and chemical change are sometimes associated with heat
(b) in physical change no new compound is formed
(c) chemical bonds are usually broken and new bonds are accompanied by the formation of new compounds in chemical change
(d) chemical change only involve the change of state of a given compound, not it composition.

(9) ________ can't be considered as matter.
(a) Flavour
(b) Sound
(c) Fish
(d) Glucose

(10) An example of compound that sublime is ________
(a) Iodine (solid)
(b) water
(c) ice
(d) molten steel

smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 3:48pm On Sep 24, 2015
more
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by gazzylee(m): 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2015
Am interested in this, as a student!
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Sobrit(m): 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2015
Following to learn. Plsø do create a physics thread too
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by mowah: 4:22pm On Sep 24, 2015
Nice page, hope you guys are really studying hard
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 6:25pm On Sep 24, 2015
icecalm:

(1) Matter can neither be created nor destroyed. True/False
geofavor debbychris & others.
Dalton was wrong.. Matter can indeed be created and destroyed..
*discussion for another day
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2015
dejt4u:
Dalton was wrong.. Matter can indeed be created and destroyed..
*discussion for another day
yeah, but it's beyond waec scope
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by dejt4u(m): 8:42pm On Sep 24, 2015
Geofavor:

yeah, but it's beyond waec scope
yes.. More reason i wrote 'discussion for another day'
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 9:50pm On Sep 24, 2015
dejt4u:
yes.. More reason i wrote 'discussion for another day'
okay
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 9:52pm On Sep 24, 2015
mowah:
Nice page, hope you guys are really studying hard
thanks, we're trying
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 1:46am On Sep 25, 2015
Geofavor:
true

smiley
aggregate 50%
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 4:04am On Sep 25, 2015
NB:
1. Matter has three basic states viz. Solid, Liquid and Gas
2. A physical change is one that can be reversible by ordinary physical processes such as those separation techniques outlined in your textbooks. While a chemical change cannot.
3. All chemical reaction occur within the electrons of atoms but nuclear reaction occur within the nuclei of atoms.
4. An atom is not identified by the number of electrons it posses but by that of protons.

(1) anything that can occupy space and has mass in the sense that it is made up of particles of any size is refer to as matter. Matter can be created and destroyed. When atoms of radioactive isotopes decay, they undergo destruction leading to the formation of new atoms of entirely different elements through a process known as nuclear fission. Similarly atoms of very light isotopes such as those of hydrogen can be fused together to produce a new atom. In this sense matter is created and likewise can also be destroyed.

(2) Although it may be familiar to us that matter generally compose of either atoms, molecules, ions or a combination of any of the above. But it is very important to note that a substance is said to be a molecule due to the fact that it function as a "unit" and may have chemical characteristics either similar to (as in the case of oxygen gas) or entirely different from the atoms in it e.g H2O. While ions are any atoms or molecules that posses charge. In a nutshell, both molecules and ions are made up of atoms. It follows that atoms are the (fundamental) building block of matter.

(3) During a chemical reaction, certainly, it's possible to obtain a new mixture from a combination of compounds formed from the reaction if the compounds formed could remain in the solution (whether true or false) without reacting with each others. This new mixture is different from the mixture formed by some of the compounds of the reactants before the reaction is induced on the system (some thermal activated reactions will be adequate to explain this better). Physical change can also bring about the formation of new mixtures but in this case the mixtures are not products of the reactant but instead are merely formed by addition of new substances to the initial mixtures.

(4) Mortar is a mixture of sand, lime (calcium hydroxide) or cement and water. On exposure to air for some time, the lime react with atmospheric carbon(iv)oxide to produce calcium trioxocarbonate(iv) that fuse sand together and the mortar is set.
When egg is boiled the protein in it will be denatured due to temperature tolerance that cause the cleavage or twist of hydrogen bonds or peptides linkage in the protein, leading to the clumping of the protein into a solid mass. Boiling of egg Is not a chemical change.

(5) Physical Change can easily be separated by ordinary separation techniques. e.g a mixture of iron scraps and sand can be separated using a magnet.

(6) Ice can float on water because of physical change on the bonds. The change on the bonds of water is induce by temperature. The structure of the bonds of ice is different from that of water in the sense that that of ice is opened.
NB: only bonds are being twisted not that a new compound is in ice compare to what is in water.

(7) phosphorylation of glucose is not a physical change. It is a reaction catalyzed by hexokinesis, an enzyme that catalyze the conversation of glucose to glucose-6-phosphate in glycolysis.

(8.) D

(9) sound has no particle in it. It is merely a vibration that leads to the transfer of energy in the form of wave.
Flavour is a seasoner.

(10) iodine is a solid at room temperature. This solid usually convert to vapour without any transient liquid state and thus it is said to undergo sublimation.

geofavor what's the next chapter?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:15am On Sep 25, 2015
icecalm:
NB:
1. Matter has three basic states viz. Solid, Liquid and Gas
2. A physical change is one that can be revisable by ordinary physical processes such as those separation techniques outlined in your textbooks. While a chemical change cannot.
3. All chemical reaction occur within the electrons of atoms but nuclear reaction occur within the nuclei of atoms.
4. An atom is not identified by the number of electrons it posses but by that of protons.

(1) anything that can occupy space and has mass in the sense that it is made up of particles of any size is refer to as matter. Matter can be created and destroyed. When atoms of radioactive isotopes decay, they undergo destruction leading to the formation of new atoms of entirely different elements through a process known as nuclear fission. Similarly atoms of very light isotopes such as those of hydrogen can be fused together to produce a new atom. In this sense matter is created and likewise can also be destroyed.

(2) Although it may be familiar to us that matter generally compose of either atoms, molecules, ions or a combination of any of the above. But it is very important to note that a substance is said to be a molecule due to the fact that it function as a "unit" and may have chemical characteristics either similar to (as in the case of oxygen gas) or entirely different from the atoms in it e.g H2O. While ions are any atoms or molecules that posses charge. In a nutshell, both molecules and ions are made up of atoms. It follows that atoms are the (fundamental) building block of matter.

(3) During a chemical reaction, certainly, it's possible to obtain a new mixture from a combination of compounds formed from the reaction if the compounds formed could remain in the solution (whether true or false) without reacting with each others. This new mixture is different from the mixture formed by some of the compounds of the reactants before the reaction is induced on the system (some thermal activated reactions will be adequate to explain this better). Physical change can also bring about the formation of new mixtures but in this case the mixtures are not products of the reactant but instead are merely formed by addition of new substances to the initial mixtures.

(4) Mortar is a mixture of sand, lime (calcium hydroxide) or cement and water. On exposure to air for some time, the lime react with atmospheric carbon(iv)oxide to produce calcium trioxocarbonate(iv) that fuse sand together and the mortar is set.
When egg is boiled the protein in it will be denatured due to temperature tolerance that cause the cleavage or twist of hydrogen bonds or peptides linkage in the protein, leading to the clumping of the protein into a solid mass. Boiling of egg Is not a chemical change.

(5) Physical Change can easily be separated by ordinary separation techniques. e.g a mixture of iron scraps and sand can be separated using a magnet.

(6) Ice can float on water because of physical change on the bonds. The change on the bonds of water is induce by temperature. The structure of the bonds of ice is different from that of water in the sense that that of ice is opened.
NB: only bonds are being twisted not that a new compound is in ice compare to what is in water.

(7) phosphorylation of glucose is not a physical change. It is a reaction catalyzed by hexokinesis, an enzyme that catalyze the conversation of glucose to glucose-6-phosphate in glycolysis.

(8.) D

(9) sound has no particle in it. It is merely a vibration that leads to the transfer of energy in the form of wave.
Flavour is a seasoner.

(10) iodine is a solid at CHAPTER 2: CHEMICAL COMBINATION
Stoichiometry
Laws of Chemical Combination
Gay Lussac’s Law of Combining Volumes
Avogadro’s Law and The mole Concept
Chemical Symbols and Formulae
Equations and Their Uses temperature. This solid usually convert to vapour without any transient liquid state and thus it is said to undergo sublimation.

geofavor what's the next chapter?
smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:18am On Sep 25, 2015
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:18am On Sep 25, 2015
icecalm

CHAPTER 2: CHEMICAL COMBINATION
Stoichiometry
Laws of Chemical Combination
Avogadro’s Law and The mole Concept
Equations and Their Uses
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:22am On Sep 25, 2015
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 26, 2015
Geofavor:
icecalm
CHAPTER 2: CHEMICAL COMBINATION Stoichiometry Laws of Chemical Combination Gay Lussac’s Law of Combining Volumes Avogadro’s Law and The mole Concept Chemical Symbols and Formulae Equations and Their Uses
okay, I will post some questions on Tuesday.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2015
I'm sorry guys, I couldn't meet up with the date I proposed but I will try to post it before Friday.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2015
no qualms smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2015
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 03, 2015

(1) The atomicity of sulphur is_________
(a) 5
(b) 7
(c) 8
(d) 3

(2) 0.80g of Nitrogen gas combine with 1.37g of Oxygen gas to give two Oxides of mass 0.86g and 1.31g under controlled condition.
A...Which law of chemical combination does this represent
B... State the oxides likely to be formed
C... What mass of the oxides would be form if the same 0.8g of Nitrogen gas is mixed with 2.89g of Oxygen gas.

(3) What volume of Oxygen gas in cm3 is required to produce 5 moles of Carbon(iv)oxide.
{Molar volume of gas at stp is 22.4dm3 }
(a) 112000cm3
(b) 120000cm3
(c) 160000cm3
(d) 7143cm3

(4) Methane is a natural gas. 6.0g was mixed in a cylinder with 50g of Oxygen gas, calculate the mass of water in grams that would be formed after complete combustion.
(a) 56.25g
(b) 13.5g
(c) 28.13g
(d) 14.06g

(5) Referring to question 4, which reactant is in excess and what volume of CO2 in dm3 is formed.
(a) Oxygen gas, 35dm3
(b) Methane, 35dm3
(c) Oxygen gas, 8.4dm3
(d) Methane, 8.4dm3

(6) _________ suggested the use of symbols to represent elements.
(a) Aristotle
(b) Rutherford
(c) Lewis
(d) Berzelius

(7) Calculate the percentage by mass of Methanol (CH3OH)

(8.)Write a balance chemical equation to represent the combustion of propane( C3H8) in air.

(9) A certain organic compound was found to contain 75% Carbon, 20% Oxygen and 5% Hydrogen. What is it empirical formula?
(a) C9H5O2
(b) C6H10O5
(c) C5H4O
(d) non of the above

(10) Which one is heavier?
(a) 0.02 mole of CO
(b) 0.8g of CO2
(c) 1dm3 of CO
(d) 1 mole of H2

Geofavor, DebbyChris, Abuhaneefah21, gazzylee .. please mention the others.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 03, 2015
Geofavor:
smiley
please clear this mention.... to a dot, there was a typo.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by walanter(m): 6:11pm On Oct 08, 2015
Op why not just explain d topic and after u lay ur question .......because mi don't understand d topic u treating now and the questions luk very scary to mi
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by amazinggrace11: 12:20pm On Oct 09, 2015
If u need a comfortable study routine add me on whatsapp for an educational adventure with other jambites. 09098280645
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 09, 2015
walanter:
Op why not just explain d topic and after u lay ur question .......because mi don't understand d topic u treating now and the questions luk very scary to mi
sorry Bro, the topics were lay before I posted the questions and you were to make studies on it, while I will explain the topic with the answers of the questions for clarity. The topics are Stoichiometry,
Laws of Chemical Combination,
Avogadro’s Law and The mole Concept,
Equations and Their Uses
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
walanter:
grin is that why you didn't attempt any? I may post the explanation on Monday if i'm chanced.

I think Geoflavor has been hiding somewhere since I posted this questions.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by walanter(m): 4:48pm On Oct 09, 2015
icecalm:
grin is that why you didn't attempt any? I may post the explanation on Monday if i'm chanced.

I think Geoflavor has been hiding somewhere since I posted this questions.
lol dat can fit b hidin ....may b is busy
And wen I don't understand d questions what I my going to ans
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 09, 2015
walanter:
lol dat can fit b hidin ....may b is busy
And wen I don't understand d questions what I my going to ans
the ones you think you know. like Q 1,10,9,8,7 and 6
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by walanter(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2015
icecalm:
the ones you think you know. like Q 1,10,9,8,7 and 6
bro no ideal am jus lukin at it
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2015
walanter:
bro no ideal am jus lukin at it
okay go and study you will be able to attempt them.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by abuhubaidah: 1:55am On Oct 11, 2015
New student in!!!well done sir/s
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 13, 2015
abuhubaidah:
New student in!!!well done sir/s
you're welcome

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

WAEC Announces New Fees For Delay In Collecting Certificate - See New Price / New Look Of Public Schools In Borno State / How Can I Report WAEC Exam Malpractice Happening In My School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.