Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (552557 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by solidman59(m): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2014
Hello guys, I can see the good work u guys are doing on this thread. Pls I want to ask you guys something.

Pls starflux this question is for you specifically and for any1 who can offer me useful info: I studied elect/elect engineering here in Nigeria and graduated with a 3.63/5 cgpa. Now what I really wanna know if this can get me admission in any of the free tuition schools in Norway.

I am really interested in going to Norway and I need this info. Even if it's not even in any of the popular ones like NTNU, UiO, Stavanger, or Bergen. I jst want u ppl to point me in the best direction where I won't be rejected.
I am patiently awaiting your responses so dat I can start my application. Can't wait to be in Norway.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 9:53am On Jul 31, 2014
Please, who is yet to receive visa in this forum should indicate?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 10:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
Inxyz:
Thank you.
This is lovely, oya August come sharpally make I go visit dis so-called pulpit.
Pulpit dey wait for u o.

solidman59: Hello guys, I can see the good work u guys are doing on this thread. Pls I want to ask you guys something.

Pls starflux this question is for you specifically and for any1 who can offer me useful info: I studied elect/elect engineering here in Nigeria and graduated with a 3.63/5 cgpa. Now what I really wanna know if this can get me admission in any of the free tuition schools in Norway.

I am really interested in going to Norway and I need this info. Even if it's not even in any of the popular ones like NTNU, UiO, Stavanger, or Bergen. I jst want u ppl to point me in the best direction where I won't be rejected.
I am patiently awaiting your responses so dat I can start my application. Can't wait to be in Norway.
Yes, you can gain admission. What particular studies are you interested in, engineering masters only?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by solidman59(m): 3:52pm On Aug 01, 2014
Yes man. I wanna go for my Masters degree in electrical engineering. Still waiting for your response.
StarFlux: Pulpit dey wait for u o.

Yes, you can gain admission. What particular studies are you interested in, engineering masters only?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by SeyeMan(m): 11:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
i am interested in studying LLM in maritime law at the university of Oslo (UiO). i just knew about the tuition free education system in Norway yesterday, and i am bent on applying latest by the deadline of December 1, 2014. i have my transcript ready. i know there is no time, so i will like proper guidance from guys that have applied before as per where to start and go about the application to the university process.

i will really appreciate the guidance of INXYZ who just got his permit; and the papa and Don of the thread from what i can see, Starflux.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nethio: 5:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
Any Info on that cos I haven't o!
ashimiyu: Please, who is yet to receive visa in this forum should indicate?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 9:40am On Aug 05, 2014
nethio: Any Info on that cos I haven't o!
Have you submitted your application at Abuja?
If yes when?
If its been morethan 30days you submitted, contact UDI directly just like I did.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nethio: 10:03pm On Aug 05, 2014
It's been almost two months now sine I submitted at the embassy. What did they say when u contacted them? Did u mail or called them?
Inxyz:
Have you submitted your application at Abuja?
If yes when?
If its been morethan 30days you submitted, contact UDI directly just like I did.

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 12:25am On Aug 06, 2014
I received my visa after 48 days of submitting at the embassy without contacting anybody. I believe you will get it. All the best, and good luck.
nethio: It's been almost two months now sine I submitted at the embassy. What did they say when u contacted them? Did u mail or called them?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 10:27am On Aug 06, 2014
nethio: It's been almost two months now sine I submitted at the embassy. What did they say when u contacted them? Did u mail or called them?
May be Ashimiyu idea should be fine.
Just wait and they will send yours soonest I believe.
However, If you wish to contact them. Go to UDI site and follow the contact us menu, you will fill a simple form and submit.

I received mine after 32days but when i waited for 22days, I had to contact them with a single line text,'I would like to know if you have received my application from Abuja embassy' that was all.

There was no reply I received my Visa.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 11:22am On Aug 06, 2014
SeyeMan: i am interested in studying LLM in maritime law at the university of Oslo (UiO). i just knew about the tuition free education system in Norway yesterday, and i am bent on applying latest by the deadline of December 1, 2014. i have my transcript ready. i know there is no time, so i will like proper guidance from guys that have applied before as per where to start and go about the application to the university process.

i will really appreciate the guidance of INXYZ who just got his permit; and the papa and Don of the thread from what i can see, Starflux.

Although I don't know much about Oslo admission but I believe Oslo and other University's admission process should be similar.

I will advise to follow their instruction, create a good Statement of Purpose - SOP.

Make sure you apply early, if possible the first day the application opens.

What i did; I contact the school by email July 2013 to express my interest in my proposed course.
So we interacted more than 3 times asking more question about the course before application finally opened.
I also printed the series of our interactions as part of my final application.

I think this will be fine.

Good luck
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by SeyeMan(m): 8:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
thanks Inxyz. can u pls tell me the requirements you met in your own application ( WASSCE, uNIVERSITY DEGREE, tOEFL, pASSPORT ETC)so that i can anticipate and begin to gather everything possible with a view to applying on the day the application opened like you said. I would like to speed things up in my preparation.
Really appreciate you man.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by EazyWiz: 1:38pm On Aug 07, 2014
Omo, Oslo is not smiling O! This city is freaking expensive when you do a conversion to Naira - first timers beware. I've bought only a few items but already the alarm bells of frugality and survival are ringing aloud in my head. I also stepped unto the wrong train 5 times. Bottom line is that you shouldn't feel any shame asking for directions or pausing for a moment to study maps in public; even Norwegians lose their bearing. Learn the assigned number of each train and the track they follow, and also which side of the track you should be on when traveling east or west. This is only my second day here but I don already dey see back of my head.

Is anybody having trouble registering with the police in Oslo? I did not know I had to log an appointment with them before hopping on the plane, operating under the assumption that I had to be in Norway for that to happen. Has anyone got some advice as regards this?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2014
SeyeMan: thanks Inxyz. can u pls tell me the requirements you met in your own application ( WASSCE, uNIVERSITY DEGREE, tOEFL, pASSPORT ETC)so that i can anticipate and begin to gather everything possible with a view to applying on the day the application opened like you said. I would like to speed things up in my preparation.
Really appreciate you man.
The English stuff is not a problem, I got admission to NTNU and UiS with C6 in English language. You can go to the school website and view the GU-list. I didn't use TOEFL or IELTS even when I had one. Passport is normal, University degree, well I will say the higher your GPA the higher your chances although other requirements will also be considered in the process. Good luck
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 1:30pm On Aug 09, 2014
EazyWiz: Omo, Oslo is not smiling O! This city is freaking expensive when you do a conversion to Naira - first timers beware. I've bought only a few items but already the alarm bells of frugality and survival are ringing aloud in my head. I also stepped unto the wrong train 5 times. Bottom line is that you shouldn't feel any shame asking for directions or pausing for a moment to study maps in public; even Norwegians lose their bearing. Learn the assigned number of each train and the track they follow, and also which side of the track you should be on when traveling east or west. This is only my second day here but I don already dey see back of my head.

Is anybody having trouble registering with the police in Oslo? I did not know I had to log an appointment with them before hopping on the plane, operating under the assumption that I had to be in Norway for that to happen. Has anyone got some advice as regards this?
I registered here in Nigeria, yesterday I got a reply that my appointment with the police has been booked. The link for registration was sent to me by UiS admission office through email.
You can check your welcome pack sent to you via email if the link is there then click it and register for an appointment.
Otherwise, contact your school.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 1:49pm On Aug 09, 2014
EazyWiz: Omo, Oslo is not smiling O! This city is freaking expensive when you do a conversion to Naira - first timers beware. I've bought only a few items but already the alarm bells of frugality and survival are ringing aloud in my head. I also stepped unto the wrong train 5 times. Bottom line is that you shouldn't feel any shame asking for directions or pausing for a moment to study maps in public; even Norwegians lose their bearing. Learn the assigned number of each train and the track they follow, and also which side of the track you should be on when traveling east or west. This is only my second day here but I don already dey see back of my head.

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nnjohnson: 12:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
bergen is vewi expensive too, buh as i heard u get a high pay per hour in any job u do dt can averagely sustain u. loving the city with large number of tourist and internationals. happy to be here(no choice though) grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by SeyeMan(m): 3:53pm On Aug 11, 2014
Thanks Inxyz. I mailed UiS like you advised and they stated that one of the admission requirements for self-financing students to provide evidence of financial capability. But I thought you guys said that the funding evidence aspect is usually at the stage of applying for residence permit, which I presume is after one has been offered admission.

Secondly, they also indicted that the quota (govt funding) is only for those applicants whose institutions have an agreement with UiS.

So my question is did you apply as a self-financing applicant or as a quota applicant. Whichever of the two systems that you utilized, what are the challenges and how did you sort them. Thanks once again bro.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 4:31pm On Aug 11, 2014
SeyeMan: Thanks Inxyz. I mailed UiS like you advised and they stated that one of the admission requirements for self-financing students to provide evidence of financial capability. But I thought you guys said that the funding evidence aspect is usually at the stage of applying for residence permit, which I presume is after one has been offered admission.
Secondly, they also indicted that the quota (govt funding) is only for those applicants whose institutions have an agreement with UiS.
So my question is did you apply as a self-financing applicant or as a quota applicant. Whichever of the two systems that you utilized, what are the challenges and how did you sort them. Thanks once again bro.

You don't need evidence of finance to do the first- preliminary application dat closes December. At final application, you need to show evidence of finance tru acct statement from you or sponsor - broda, fada, moda, uncle or friend but to accept and confirm your place after admission and before Visa interview, you must transfer the deposit - Usually by May
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by SeyeMan(m): 9:54pm On Aug 12, 2014
tanks bro.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by pansophist(m): 12:42pm On Aug 14, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2014
pansophist: Do people still go to Norway to study? that cold, racist, xenophobic and boring place. I honestly pity resident of Scandinavian countries, the bad food, humour, lack of social life and racism (if you are non white) is skyrocketing. Go there and get your degree and move out, thats my advice. Norway of all places? Tifiakwa!
Pls it will be good to go to the country first before writing: do not base your ideas on peoples' opinion or what you hear people say. Norway is one of the best country in the world you can think of. Yes it's cold but not as people say it, and most of them had never been here.

Let's go, today in Norway as I write now! The temperature is 22 degrees at beach side and it's all sunny, every body outside including myself and having nice time.

It's not that lonely as people think, I may say morethan 50% of Stavanger population are foreigners and so it's a diverse community.

My people if you come here, Pls do your best to be here. The experience counts.

This is just a piece of me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by pansophist(m): 2:17am On Aug 15, 2014
Inxyz:
Pls it will be good to go to the country first before writing: do not base your ideas on peoples' opinion or what you hear people say. Norway is one of the best country in the world you can think of. Yes it's cold but not as people say it, and most of them had never been here.

Let's go, today in Norway as I write now! The temperature is 22 degrees at beach side and it's all sunny, every body outside including myself and having nice time.

It's not that lonely as people think, I may say morethan 50% of Stavanger population are foreigners and so it's a diverse community.

My people if you come here, Pls do your best to be here. The experience counts.

This is just a piece of me.

Can you explain how you arrived at the conclusion that I havent been to Norway before?

Best country in the world in terms of what? with a shitty weather, horrible food and damn boring, this should explain why homicide is as common as seeing Fjord. Best country in the world where majority sees you as second-hand human, I laugh.

Even if the temperature is 22degrees, you can still be wearing jacket at night, and the weather wont last, only a matter of time and you spend the rest of the year in a very bad state, so whats there to enjoy?

In Lagos, there are different ethnic group living there, does that still exclude the existence of tribalism? your idealogy of Stavanger being 50% foreigners holds no water and besides, the majority of the foreign population are whites, so whats there to brag about? Can you also explain why unemployment is very high among Norwegians of Somali background ? same can be told in Finland too

It is surprising why you jump in defence of people that do not see you as equal, very common of a typical person who just immigrated to the west. You will know the real Norway after you've graduated from school, looking for a house and a decent job, getting promotions in your job (compare to your colleagues), working twice as hard your white colleague with low professional skills compare to you and they get promotion, etc.

Have Fun in Norway, but as a self respecting balck man, Norway can never be a country I will call home in the diaspora, you can keep deceiving yourself into believing Norwegians are colour blind, time will tell and my post might be of relevance then.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 6:36am On Aug 15, 2014
@Pansophist: I deduced you have been to Norway, from your conversation with INXYZ. Please, I don't think your post is fit in this forum. Why are you discouraging people looking for success from studying in Norway instead of the encouragement? With due respect, I sees it as a resentment from your side. If you want to make advice, this is not the way to do it. Can you compare it with studying/staying in Nigeria? For so many years, people have been going to Norway to study and some people wait there to work, though there might be some challenges. Can you compare it with Nigeria? To me, I sees this forum as a platform to put all hands on deck, to discuss, encourage and solve our challenges as ONE Nigeria, most especially Nigerians in Norway. That was the reason I joined, not to come and be discouraged. Did you spend up to 9 years in Norway? Well, may be I think during your stay there you were not lucky and that does not mean others won't. So, please don't mention those kind of things in this forum. ANY OTHER PERSON SHOULD NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY WHAT MY BROTHER, PANSOPHIST SAID. KEEP THE SPIRIT ALIVE AND STRIVE. I AM SURE YOU WILL MAKE IT. ALL THE BEST.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 8:17am On Aug 15, 2014
pansophist:

Can you explain how you arrived at the conclusion that I havent been to Norway before?

Best country in the world in terms of what? with a shitty weather, horrible food and damn boring, this should explain why homicide is as common as seeing Fjord. Best country in the world where majority sees you as second-hand human, I laugh.

Even if the temperature is 22degrees, you can still be wearing jacket at night, and the weather wont last, only a matter of time and you spend the rest of the year in a very bad state, so whats there to enjoy?

In Lagos, there are different ethnic group living there, does that still exclude the existence of tribalism? your idealogy of Stavanger being 50% foreigners holds no water and besides, the majority of the foreign population are whites, so whats there to brag about? Can you also explain why unemployment is very high among Norwegians of Somali background ? same can be told in Finland too

It is surprising why you jump in defence of people that do not see you as equal, very common of a typical person who just immigrated to the west. You will know the real Norway after you've graduated from school, looking for a house and a decent job, getting promotions in your job (compare to your colleagues), working twice as hard your white colleague with low professional skills compare to you and they get promotion, etc.

Have Fun in Norway, but as a self respecting balck man, Norway can never be a country I will call home in the diaspora, you can keep deceiving yourself into believing Norwegians are colour blind, time will tell and my post might be of relevance then.

Well, time will only tell for you not me.

I have seen many that made it here, unemployment rate in Stavanger is less than 2% and if you are not satisfied here then migrate to other country after your Msc.

Yes weather is harsh in many Scandinavian countries but there is nothing like bad weather, just bad clothing. If you have good clothing you can make your body as warm as you want.

My advice is come and get educated first and better things follows even when you return to Nigeria.

Morethan 50 international oil companies reside here and you can also take advantage of that.

In a nutshell, it's worth taking a shot. Do your best; add value to yourself and create your own opportunities.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by pansophist(m): 9:35am On Aug 15, 2014
ashimiyu: @Pansophist: I deduced you have been to Norway, from your conversation with INXYZ. Please, I don't think your post is fit in this forum. Why are you discouraging people looking for success from studying in Norway instead of the encouragement? With due respect, I sees it as a resentment from your side. If you want to make advice, this is not the way to do it. Can you compare it with studying/staying in Nigeria? For so many years, people have been going to Norway to study and some people wait there to work, though there might be some challenges. Can you compare it with Nigeria? To me, I sees this forum as a platform to put all hands on deck, to discuss, encourage and solve our challenges as ONE Nigeria, most especially Nigerians in Norway. That was the reason I joined, not to come and be discouraged. Did you spend up to 9 years in Norway? Well, may be I think during your stay there you were not lucky and that does not mean others won't. So, please don't mention those kind of things in this forum. ANY OTHER PERSON SHOULD NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY WHAT MY BROTHER, PANSOPHIST SAID. KEEP THE SPIRIT ALIVE AND STRIVE. I AM SURE YOU WILL MAKE IT. ALL THE BEST.

Did you saw the place where I wrote that you should study and move out? Can you pinpoint where exactly I discouraged people from going to Norway? so you want only the sweet picture of Norway (free education) without the hardcore fact that you will enventually face? if Norway is heaven like your brothers are trying to preach, why is immigration so low compare to other countries in its comparable league?

Like I said earlier, I am not surprised. Such attitude is common within home base brothers who hasnt smell the shores of any western borders, climaxing in their brain about the rosy picture of diaspora they have been spoonfed from infant with, and what is it about resentment? telling you the stuff about Norway is resentment? or a failure in my life? why do you rely on such cheap lies and excuse to proof a point? why is it so difficult to accept hard fact and work with it?

Laughing at your one Nigeria agenda, you didnt solve it in Nigeria and you are travelling thousand of miles to solve it there outside Nigeria's geographical location? you sound naive, sorry. The catch here is simple, go to Norway but put in your mind what I wrote here, you will definitely see it when you get there, goodluck man.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by pansophist(m): 9:39am On Aug 15, 2014
Inxyz:

Well, time will only tell for you not me.

I have seen many that made it here, unemployment rate in Stavanger is less than 2% and if you are not satisfied here then migrate to other country after your Msc.

Yes weather is harsh in many Scandinavian countries but there is nothing like bad weather, just bad clothing. If you have good clothing you can make your body as warm as you want.

My advice is come and get educated first and better things follows even when you return to Nigeria.

Morethan 50 international oil companies reside here and you can also take advantage of that.

In a nutshell, it's worth taking a shot. Do your best; add value to yourself and create your own opportunities.

Bro, I am satisfy where I am (definitely not in Norway, Tufiakwa), and if you judge racism by low unemployment, then i am sorry, you are naive in that angle. I am not here to further discuss this ssues with you, I passed my point already, take it or leave it, but if Norway is a country you want to call home as a blackman, all I can only do is pity you.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 9:43am On Aug 15, 2014
pansophist:

Bro, I am satisfy where I am (definitely not in Norway, Tufiakwa), and if you judge racism by low unemployment, then i am sorry, you are naive in that angle. I am not here to further discuss this ssues with you, I passed my point already, take it or leave it, but if Norway is a country you want to call home as a blackman, all I can only do is pity you.

You will only pity yourself not me.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Omojayejaye(m): 10:42am On Aug 15, 2014
pansophist:

Pls..which of the countries in Europa a blackman can call home..coz I can't even afford tuition and living expenses in UK,USA,Canada,Australia and newzealand..pls reply..seems you are well traveled...
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by pansophist(m): 12:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
Omojayejaye:
Pls..which of the countries in Europa a blackman can call home..coz I can't even afford tuition and living expenses in UK,USA,Canada,Australia and newzealand..pls reply..seems you are well traveled...

This Kind thing na wetin I de like to yarn in Pidgin, but anyways.

The honest truth is that there is no country in the world that is ''racism free'', they all come in different degree, and in different ways be it subtly, cryptic, institutionalized etc, the issue here is ''selecting the lesser of two evils''. The countries you mentioned are demographically and racially diversed, people of colour have been living in their midst for a very long time, and you wont pass much as a threat to the people because your kind is part of their demographical makeup albeit minority.

Many people perceive racism in different ways, if you ask someone like Maxwell Itoya ( a Nigerian immigrant killed by Polish police in 2010), he will tell you that Poland is a very racist country, but if you ask someone like John Godson ( Nigerian born city councellor in the city of Lodz, Poland) about racism in Poland, he will tell you it is inexistent, infact to quote him, he once said that

"I've always said and still underline, that in my opinion there is no racism in Poland. There is, however, something that I call low inter-cultural competences. And this can be changed by more contact between different cultures and societal groups. No law can change the mentality of people"

Even in Russia, people like Jean Gregoire Sagbo (first black politician in Russia) he will tell you there is no racism in Russia, but again it still depends on you. If I were you, I will simply go there, get what I want and move out (as you as expected to before issueing you your student visa), there are many more better countries with good weather, language ease, racially diversed and more tolerant. In this case, Scandinavia is far from it.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by justwise(m): 12:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
ashimiyu: @Pansophist: I deduced you have been to Norway, from your conversation with INXYZ. Please, I don't think your post is fit in this forum. Why are you discouraging people looking for success from studying in Norway instead of the encouragement? With due respect, I sees it as a resentment from your side. If you want to make advice, this is not the way to do it. Can you compare it with studying/staying in Nigeria? For so many years, people have been going to Norway to study and some people wait there to work, though there might be some challenges. Can you compare it with Nigeria? To me, I sees this forum as a platform to put all hands on deck, to discuss, encourage and solve our challenges as ONE Nigeria, most especially Nigerians in Norway. That was the reason I joined, not to come and be discouraged. Did you spend up to 9 years in Norway? Well, may be I think during your stay there you were not lucky and that does not mean others won't. So, please don't mention those kind of things in this forum. ANY OTHER PERSON SHOULD NOT BE DISCOURAGED BY WHAT MY BROTHER, PANSOPHIST SAID. KEEP THE SPIRIT ALIVE AND STRIVE. I AM SURE YOU WILL MAKE IT. ALL THE BEST.

While you encourage and advise people its also fair to tell them the truth about that particular country, its called balanced opinion. Don't tell people the sweet side of the story only so as to be seen as a 'nice guy'.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (154) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.