Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (552181 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by honourableseyi: 11:26am On Aug 12, 2013
StarFlux: @Ezegozie
Let me get back to you later. Your question requires a lengthy reply and I need to inquire about your programme before I can give a good answer.

The problem with undergraduate levels, is that they're often held in Norwegian. You have a few exceptions of course, but they are mostly held in Norwegian. Master degrees are mostly in English. Depending on programme and university, it usually isn't that hard to gain admission.

Thanks bro. But what about the standard of living over there? Also if someone can get the total tuition and cost of living for a year, will he be able to augment for the subsequent years? God bless you for prompt response sir
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 1:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
^^
why do you guys raise someonea hope and then trash it only to raise it again.

if you read some pages back or even on this page you will see where they say if you don't have a first class its very difficult, here now you say it is not difficult to get admission.
I was refering to undergraduate degrees, they can be easy to gain admission to. Master is always more tricky, and I've said that I cannot guarantee anything. I'm not a person with special powers that can work magic for people. My philosophy though, is that it doesn't hurt anyone to give it a shot as long as you know what you're doing and not fantasizing. Norway is a great country to be in and experience.

If you don't like what I'm doing here, then you can report me to the moderators. Until then my expertise is on lend.
Thank you.

honourableseyi:

Thanks bro. But what about the standard of living over there? Also if someone can get the total tuition and cost of living for a year, will he be able to augment for the subsequent years? God bless you for prompt response sir
Well, it's the cost of roughly one year, give or take. Standard of living is very high. Even with little money, you can live quite okay smiley

Depending on what you do during that first year, you should be able to learn the language to the extent where you can hold normal conversations (in a couple of months). If you can do that, then getting a job will be so much easier. The job should be enough to cover your fees. Though I do recommend having some back-up money.

@Ezegozie
Still working on it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by honourableseyi: 2:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
StarFlux: I was refering to undergraduate degrees, they can be easy to gain admission to. Master is always more tricky, and I've said that I cannot guarantee anything. I'm not a person with special powers that can work magic for people. My philosophy though, is that it doesn't hurt anyone to give it a shot as long as you know what you're doing and not fantasizing. Norway is a great country to be in and experience.

If you don't like what I'm doing here, then you can report me to the moderators. Until then my expertise is on lend.
Thank you.

Well, it's the cost of roughly one year, give or take. Standard of living is very high. Even with little money, you can live quite okay smiley

Depending on what you do during that first year, you should be able to learn the language to the extent where you can hold normal conversations (in a couple of months). If you can do that, then getting a job will be so much easier. The job should be enough to cover your fees. Though I do recommend having some back-up money.

Still working on it.

Thanks bro for the detailed reply, you have met the need of so many Nigerian youths here and you are still meeting it. I prayed that the good Lord will meet your need in Jesus name.Though in as much as I will like to have the back up stuff, the fact is; it's not forthcoming. I'm the one sponsoring myself;that is why I want to know what to expect before dabbling into it.If it can or can't work out with my budget.If I can be able to get the green light and all the necessary thing I need to put together.I think I should be there ASAP.Thanks once again for your contribution and help.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
ok my Oga at the top. I am waiting patiently.

You are just a God sent
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by honourableseyi: 3:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
Admission Requirement for Nigeria students.

CountryNIGERIA
Language requirementNo
EducationSenior School Certificate + 1 year university education or West African Examinations Council School Certificate GCE O-level + 1 year university education or West African Examinations Council Higher School Certificate GCE A-level with 3 A-levels
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2013
Ezegozie: Starflux you are like a living hero in this thread keep it up.

Please i am a final year student of Geology in University.
I will apply 4 my masters in norway universities immediately i finish school.
to study PETROLEUM GEOSCIENCE or GEOPHYSICS

Pls i heard that petroleum geoscience is very competitive and very hard to secure admision unless you make 1st class in ur Bsc.
And i will not graduate with 1st class. But by God's grace, i will graduate with 2nd class upper.

Now i want to ask is GEOPHYSICS also very competitive?

I heard dat if you have work experience, you will be given preference in ur admision, can somebody trick them and tell them that he has work experience and get a STAMPED LETTER FROM A RECOGNISD INDUSTRY to have an upper hand in admision.

Please can U tell me the things needed to stand a good chance of being admitted in Norwegian Universities.

Pls am waiting 4 ur reply, and may God bless you.
It was hard to find any information, and people really didn't know all that much, but:

What I ended up doing was that I took a look at the admission requirements for the bachelor degrees in these 2 programmes. Imagine a difficulty scale from 1-10, then I would rate a bachelor in Petroleum Geoscience an 8.

Geophysics I would rate 7.5 I would say they are both fairly competitive, Petroleum Geoscience taking the lead.
Second in class I would say there's a decent chance, and it's definitely worth applying for. Work experience is a plus, yes, but I wouldn't say enough to ruin your chances.

As for the tricking part, I have no idea whatsoever. There's really no secret trick other than a good application.

For example a letter of recommendation, statement of purpose, personal statement, any research you may have done etc, and make sure they get the impression that you are stable financially (though the 92 500 should be enough for this).
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by blaze007(m): 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
92500 na 2.5mila b dat na!! Oboy dat money no b joke o. And u go send am 2 dem??
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 8:14am On Aug 13, 2013
blaze007: 92500 na 2.5mila b dat na!! Oboy dat money no b joke o. And u go send am 2 dem??

i understand you fear, especially after sending the money and finishing school, you come no see work, you go dey think about more than 3million wey u waste, wey you supose take do confirm business.

Anyway, this world is all about risk
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by blaze007(m): 8:33am On Aug 13, 2013
Ezegozie:

i understand you fear, especially after sending the money and finishing school, you come no see work, you go dey think about more than 3million wey u waste, wey you supose take do confirm business.

Anyway, this world is all about risk
i tell u. D tin jst funny ni
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by CaptJHMiller: 9:20am On Aug 13, 2013
what's the differnce between statement of purpose and personal statement? Can my final year project count as a reserch work?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by norish3preye(m): 10:14am On Aug 13, 2013
help needed, im a graduate of biochemistry with a cgpa of 2.90, and i want to further my studies in norway, plz i need help
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 13, 2013
StarFlux:
What kind of visa?

All the information you need should be here: http://www.udi.no/templates/tema.aspx?id=4477
But I'm willing to help you past that if needed smiley
I am interested in getting visa to Norway
A visit visa I want to go check out the opportunities I would like to know how fast I can get the visa if I apply this month and general cost i.e flight and accommodation.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 2:13pm On Aug 14, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
what's the differnce between statement of purpose and personal statement? Can my final year project count as a reserch work?
Well, the best type of research is probably one gained throug an independent study with a teacher/professor, or through some other research program. But your finaly year project is definitely worth a mention.

Uhm well, personal state would be something like: Mentioning any challenges or difficulties you may have had to deal with.(Perseverance.) If you’ve worked to support yourself through school, working hours per week etc. If you tutored or mentored, took advantage of unique opportunities etc.

Statement of purpose (your goals, why you are applying to this programme, what you want to research etc.)

Basically write intentions, why you want to study this program, motivations, experiences from undergraduate level up until now - what brought your interest in graduate study. This is the most important part of your applications.

Spencervivian:
I am interested in getting visa to Norway
A visit visa I want to go check out the opportunities I would like to know how fast I can get the visa if I apply this month and general cost i.e flight and accommodation.
I think the general processing time is around 2 weeks.

I would advice you to research flight costs yourself, it's not cheap, but I don't want to give a price here and then it's not correct. Accommodation, hotel in this case, is around 21 000 Naira per night. It depends on where in Norway you are going, capital is usually more expensive. If you live closer to the airport (but it's really too far from the city to be convenient), it's cheaper. And in winter time prices drops a little bit. It would be more advisable to find someone that is willing to have you with them for the time being.

norish3preye: help needed, im a graduate of biochemistry with a cgpa of 2.90, and i want to further my studies in norway, plz i need help
Need some time for this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by CaptJHMiller: 6:00pm On Aug 14, 2013
^^
May God continue to bless you. So if I am to apply I need both letters? Hmm.. Always thought it was statement of purpose alone.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2013
like seriously i like this guy STARFLUX. He is so nice
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ceechedah: 11:29pm On Aug 14, 2013
Ezegozie: like seriously i like this guy STARFLUX. He is so nice
am telling u...he is God's sent to give me ansas to d questions i cldnt ask d computer while surfing on the net for information. My man STARFLUX GOD bless u jare
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 1:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
^^
May God continue to bless you. So if I am to apply I need both letters? Hmm.. Always thought it was statement of purpose alone.
Thank you!

What do you mean with "both letters"? Statement of purpose and personal statement are things which you should include in your application, they are not "separate" so to say, if that's what you were trying to say. There are many different ways to write an application, do what you feel is better for you. Important thing is to not overdo it.

norish3preye: help needed, im a graduate of biochemistry with a cgpa of 2.90, and i want to further my studies in norway, plz i need help
Need more details. What programme(s), what type of programme etc.

Thank you everyone, really nice to be appreciated smiley
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by CaptJHMiller: 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2013
StarFlux: Thank you!

Need more details. What programme(s), what type of programme etc.

Thank you everyone, really nice to be appreciated smiley

Mechanical engineering related courese, energy related courses.
CGPA 3.35
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2013
the problem be say i no get the 2.5million naira the Norwegian agency is demanding.

Is there anyplace i fit borow such money, after when i get work, i go pay it back
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by blaze007(m): 4:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
Ezegozie: the problem be say i no get the 2.5million naira the Norwegian agency is demanding.

Is there anyplace i fit borow such money, after when i get work, i go pay it back
hahahaha. Funny dude. I fit borow u sha. Bt dem don increase d money wit NOR2k

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by blaze007(m): 4:55pm On Aug 15, 2013
Wat abt if 1m b my own out of d 2.5m, i fit return bak 1.5m wen i reach there?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 7:48pm On Aug 15, 2013
yea, he fit dey Norway because "Sureway" rhymes with "Norway"
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 7:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
blaze007: Wat abt if 1m b my own out of d 2.5m, i fit return bak 1.5m wen i reach there?

nice question
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by blaze007(m): 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2013
Ezegozie: yea, he fit dey Norway because "Sureway" rhymes with "Norway"
hehehe
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by OluomoChampion(m): 10:39pm On Aug 15, 2013
philip0906:
eh ? :ono allow anybody hear am o especially embassy! grin grin.but it depends on ur visa.if u applied for a student visa u definitely have 2 come back after ur studies.but take style  grin enquire how u may reside there after ur studies or people with better knowledge of NORWAY will reply u sha. winkcos me no know much about em,na only yankee and jand me know of well well. smiley

@philip0906, bros pls I need some in4mation about US. I have a B1/B2 tourist visa which is multiple entry and I want to go to US to hustle. Pls how do I go about settling there finally? Though I intend to further my education after sometime. I will appreiate every useful in4mation here. Thanks a great deal!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 12:41pm On Aug 23, 2013
Ezegozie: the problem be say i no get the 2.5million naira the Norwegian agency is demanding.

I dno o. Scholarships are hard to come by.

Capt. JH Miller:

Mechanical engineering related courese, energy related courses.
CGPA 3.35
Here is one in mechanical engineering: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/miprod (Problem is that it's in Norwegian). I can't seem to find any other mechanical engineering course.

Here is one in substainable energy: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/msisee (English)
A list of energy courses (some of these universities are private owned ones, so ignore those): http://www.mastersportal.eu/study-options/268746846/energy-engineering-norway.html

I really don't have time right now to research and do all these lengthy replies. Try to use Google. Mastersportal.eu can be useful to do research, but I wouldn't bet on all programmes being listed there.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by CaptJHMiller: 1:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
^^
Thanks bro. I wasn't asking you help me do research on courses. I just wanted to know what my chances are.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (154) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.