Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes (3505 Views)

Nigerians Mock Fashola On Twitter Over Drop In Power Supply(Pics) / Governor Nasir El-Rufai Visits Destitutes' Home In Kaduna / Photo: Shettima, Fashola On Buhari’s Entourage Before His Departure To Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by deno2: 1:15pm On Apr 10, 2009
Akala, Fashola on war path over dumping of destitutes   
Written by Ola Ajayi     
Friday, 10 April 2009 

OYO State Governor, Adebayo Alao-Akala and Raji Fashola of Lagos are now at daggers drawn over the alleged dumping of about 120 destitutes by the [b]Lagos State Government in Ibadan. Following his resolve to rid Lagos State of destitute that have become nuisance in major streets, Vanguard gathered that some of the destitutes who claimed they are from Oyo State were conveyed back to Ibadan yesterday.

It was further gathered that the destitutes had earlier been camped at Majidun, Ikorodu in the last six months. But due to congestion, the government, as reliably gathered, sorted out those who had been mentally deranged and taken responsibility for their rehabilitation while those  who are still mentally balanced were said to have been taken back to their various states.

One of the destitute, Fehintola Oguntola who claimed to be an indigene of Ilesa, Osun State said she was seeing off her friend when some officials of the state government picked her up and took her to Majidun about seven months ago. Further investigation revealed that some of the destitutes were from Kwara and Osun States.

Some of them who spoke with Vanguard said they were given N200 before they took off from Lagos. They said they were abandoned at Molete on the wee hours of Thursday.

But Akala is already fuming with anger on the decision of the Lagos State Government, saying he would not accept it at this period he is trying to rid the ancient city of destitute. He said his government would not take it lightly with the Lagos State Government.

Akala said, through his Special Adviser on Public Communication, Prince Dotun Oyelade that “the information that eight buses filled with destitute were dumped in Ibadan today is absolutely unacceptable. The matter will be taken up at the highest level”.

“Oyo government is working hard to clean the environment and rid the city of destitute and any act of sabotage from Lagos or any neighbouring state will be highly resisted”, he vowed.[/b]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/33274/46/
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by asha80(m): 1:20pm On Apr 10, 2009
when did oyo indegenes become beggars 

Have they joined the almajiris in the north?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 2:58pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Apr 10, 2009
asha 80:

Shouldn’t we start by asking if a governor, any governor, has a right to DEPORT any citizen, of the same country, to any state? I mean what law allows a state governor to deport anyone, destitute or not, to any state? Any clue what law allows that?
I can understand a situation where these destitute are jailed if it be the case that begging is a crime but deporting them to another state? Is that even ethical? What stops the same government from deciding to deport Ibos/Hausas and non-Lagosians back to their states of origin, in the future?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Pataki: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Shouldn’t we start by asking if a governor, any governor, has a right to DEPORT any citizen, of the same country, to any state? I mean what law allows a state governor to deport anyone, destitute or not, to any state? Any clue what law allows that?
Good question!

I do not think there should be a law for that. In my view, every state have their allocations. Fashola has tried enough by housing these destitutes for a while now. Maybe, this action of his will ignite every state to be more bothered about their indigenes and create some measure of welfare programs for them. It would be illogical for Fashola to use the state resources to care for destitutes from other states when other states can as well create their own social welfare programs.

After all, some states have scholarship programs for their own citizens and if you are not from that state, you do not have any right to partake in it. So I totally reason with the call of Fashola on this one.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by asha80(m): 3:21pm On Apr 10, 2009
@tpia

what do you mean?

@pataki

How do we determine who is a lagosian or not?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Apr 10, 2009
Fashola does not have to house them or give them scholarships at all, so I see no reason why that ought to be a problem. I mean he could render begging illegal in Lagos, arrest all these people and use them for cheap labor in the prisons or something, anything, but deportation makes sense to me.  

If there is no law allowing such, why is it allowed? Where will this end? What stops kano state from deciding to send all Ibos and Yorubas back to their home states? What stops other states from doing the same? Imagine what would result if other governors decided this was something worth practicing so they can use allocations for just their own people and not for the destitute in society or those who are not originally from their part of society?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Sagamite(m): 3:23pm On Apr 10, 2009
asha 80:

Since Master-Thug Arsewipe Adedibu died.

He turned people into lazy thugs by providing them with stolen money as long as they do his bidding. When he died, there was no more money for those that did not know how to earn money from hard work anymore. grin

Kobojunkie:

I can understand a situation where these destitute are jailed if it be the case that begging is a crime but deporting them to another state? Is that even ethical? What stops the same government from deciding to deport Ibos/Hausas and non-Lagosians back to their states of origin, in the future?

Kobo, that is all theoretical argumentation that only works in the Western set up.

The fact is that, the destitutes will prefer deportation to jail so they can continue where they stopped. And the government will also prefer deportation as their is limited resources to waste on jail and they need to get these guys off the street.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2009
Sagamite:

Kobo, that is all theoretical argumentation that only works in the Western set up.

The fact is that, the destitutes will prefer deportation to jail so they can continue where they stopped. And the government will also prefer deportation as their is limited resources to waste on jail and they need to get these guys off the street.
How do you know this for a fact? We are talking of destitute who are willing to live in dirty, filthy gutters in Lagos here. You claim they would rather be deported from their lagos, believing for some reason that being in jail in the same place is worse than being deported back to the land they came from in the first place? Where did you get this info from?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by mustafar1: 3:26pm On Apr 10, 2009
make LASG come tell us why dem 'relocate' people to their claimed state of origin abeg.

enough of this deportation crap abeg, na relocate dem relocate them.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Sagamite(m): 3:28pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

How do you know this for a fact? We are talking of destitute who are willing to live in dirty, filthy gutters in Lagos here. Where did you get this information from?

Jail means liberty is taken away and sometimes includes beatings, so I think they will rather go to Maiduguri to beg than be in it.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 3:28pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Apr 10, 2009
Relocation is one thing but I bet you if you were RELOCATED against your own will back to the land of your fathers, you would feel like you were DEPORTED back there instead. Roflamo!!!

I mean imagine living in Lagos and lying to everyone back in the village or Ibadan that you are living large. Then one day, Iya Ibeku is preparing for work and she sees a bus marked "LS DESTITUTES RELOCATION PROGRAM". Lo and Behold, she sees you being dropped off in your village with Naira 200. You dey tell me say you no go contemplate hanging yourself right there and then?? ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Apr 10, 2009
Sagamite:

Jail means liberty is taken away and sometimes includes beatings, so I think they will rather go to Maiduguri to beg than be in it.
Jail in Lagos means that to people who are used to having their liberties taken away and receiving beatings from agberos, Abegi!!!
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Pataki: 3:31pm On Apr 10, 2009
asha 80:

@pataki

How do we determine who is a lagosian or not?
I am sure there are ways to determine such. After all, the National ID card was undertaken some years back. But the truth is that, this action would spark-up states taking responsibility for their people.

Kobojunkie:

Fashola does not have to house them or give them scholarships at all, so I see no reason why that ought to be a problem. I mean he could render begging illegal in Lagos, arrest all these people and use them for cheap labor in the prisons or something, anything, but deportation makes sense to me.  

If there is no law allowing such, why is it allowed? Where will this end? What stops kano state from deciding to send all Ibos and Yorubas back to their home states? What stops other states from doing the same? Imagine what would result if other governors decided this was something worth practicing so they can use allocations for just their own people and not for the destitute in society or those who are not originally from their part of society?

Even in developed countries, once you have no ties to the countries in the least amount, you are expected to go back to your home country, or you could be deported. Of course this is Nigeria and it is for all Nigerians. But the truth is that, if you are not contributing to the development and economic strength of a state which is not your state, rather living the resources of the state, you should go back to your state.

This would create the room for every state to take responsibility for its citizenry. Lagos is already setting the pace on that, let every other state follow suit. It is a welcome development and it should be encouraged.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by asha80(m): 3:32pm On Apr 10, 2009
Oyo indigenes=beggars  

This is not sinking well  undecided
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 10, 2009
This one is tough. What's a better option for these destitutes?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 3:33pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by asha80(m): 3:34pm On Apr 10, 2009
I am sure there are ways to determine such. After all, the National ID card undertaken some years back. But the truth is that, this action would spark-up states taking responsibility for their people.

You think say alao akala go send?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Apr 10, 2009
Pataki:

Even in developed countries, once you have no ties to the countries in the least amount, you are expected to go back to your home country, or you could be deported.
I have to ask, what are you doing??

Pataki:

Of course this is Nigeria and it is for all Nigerians. But the truth is that, if you are not contributing to the development and economic strength of a state which is not your state, rather living the resources of the state, you should go back to your state.
Again, what the frell are you doing??

Pataki:

This would create the room for every state to take responsibility for its citizenry. Lagos is already setting the pace on that, let every other state follow suit. It is a welcome development and it should be encouraged.
HUH
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by mustafar1: 3:35pm On Apr 10, 2009
soon this would be seen as a PDP against AC tug of war. make LASG talk their reason abeg, hopefully it would be in tomorrows papers.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by asha80(m): 3:36pm On Apr 10, 2009
@tpia

i have never associated yoruba people with beggingMost yoruba peeps i know are proud people.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Becomrrich: 3:37pm On Apr 10, 2009
fashola should not do that please for God sake. What fashola should do is get them to get a job working for the waste management agency. I was at a seminar yesterday and in the city the united nation calls the most well develop. And i spoke to the man that decide the waste. He told me that they cycle thier waste and use it to generate electricity.

So fashola or akala should hire this people , all of them and get them to bring the weste and use it to generate electricity. I got his number if fashola or akala need the number and talk to him. He would offer free advice.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Pataki: 3:38pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I have to ask, what are you doing??
Again, what the frell are you doing??
HUH

This discussion is not about me! When is that going to sink into you??

asha 80:

You think say alao akala go send?
If he likes he should not send. But at least, the citizens of Oyo state would witness what Fashola is doing and it is their right to ask Akala what he is doing when other states are making lasting impacts.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Apr 10, 2009
I believe this topic has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH Yoruba people, Ibos, Hausas, Ibibios or any group. It is simply about a governor possibly stepping on the rights of the people and that is all that we ought to make it of and nothing more.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 3:40pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Apr 10, 2009
Pataki:

This discussion is not about me! When is that going to sink into you??

Dude . . . . No one is making it about you. I asked you those questions wondering why you were trying to draw some connection between those twisted claims made and this topic here. We are not talking about a COUNTRY or COUNTRIES. This is about the relationship between STATES WITHIN THE SAME COUNTRY. Would ALABAMA deport you to DELAWARE for any reason? What Law allows that? Or reason supports that, giving that you have committed no crime? Or are you saying that ALABAMA can somehow DEPORT YOU BACK TO your NIGERIAN State of Origin when it deems you an INCONVENIENCE in some future, even though you have a RIGHT TO BE HERE as an AMERICAN?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 3:42pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by moneygurl: 3:44pm On Apr 10, 2009
@Kobo

Yes, Begging is illegal in Lagos State. It is in the states constitution.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 3:46pm On Apr 10, 2009
moneygurl:

@Kobo

Yes, Begging is illegal in Lagos State. It is in the states constitution.
Cool, so does the law also state that any person caught begging would be DEPORTED? If yes, do you mind showing us this exact law so we can all see how that is woven into it all?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 3:46pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by asha80(m): 3:47pm On Apr 10, 2009
Dude . . . . No one is making it about you. I asked you those questions wondering why you were trying to draw some connection between those twisted claims made and this topic here. We are not talking about a COUNTRY or COUNTRIES. This is about the relationship between STATES WITHIN THE SAME COUNTRY. Would ALABAMA deport you to DELAWARE? Or are you saying that ALABAMA can somehow DEPORT YOU BACK TO your NIGERIAN State of Origin when it deems you an INCONVENIENCE in some future, even though you have a RIGHT TO BE HERE as an AMERICAN?

Welcome to the fundamental problems of nigeria i have always talked about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News: Oyinlola Opts Out Of Apc / Pics Of Boko Haram Members +Their Cars Captured By The Nigerian Army In Munguno / Tinubu Kicks As Obasanjo Suggests Soludo To Buhari As Finance Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.