Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Why I Stopped Going To Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Stopped Going To Church (5130 Views)

RCCG Female Worker Sent Back Home For Wearing This To Church (Photo) / Reason I Stopped Going To Church / Reason I Stopped Going To Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Stopped Going To Church by kekakuz(m): 5:53am On Sep 20, 2015
I have not been to church in over 2 months and this is because I don't understand what a church stands for anymore.please don't judge me, see my reasons.

2 years after graduation I was still jobless.the only way I manage was to play instrument and coordinate choirs.when I joined my church,a branch of RCCG,they offered to pay me a token and be of assistance.I stayed with them for about a year then the pastors wife told me they can no longer afford paying us salary but will continue to pay out transportation. this decision did not go down well with the other instrumentalists and they all left leaving only me behind. I stayed with them for another two years and spend close to 1k every Sunday to come to church and got used to everyone like we were family.
so I finally Got a Job and I was told to get 2 guarantors to guarantee me.I saw this as no problem and gladly asked my pastors wife to be my guarantor. she started dribbling me. I meet the husband and he just told me stories. after much cajoling, she finally agreed to sign for me and another minister.
to cut my story short, I continued coming to church but the distance and transportation was telling on my body and pocket. so I decided to attend another redeem church closer to my house on alternate Sundays. to ease transport.
one Monday I got a call from our human resources that one of my guarantors pulled out. she came to the office.
it was my pastors wife. I was shocked because its a financial institution and the issue became an integrity issue.
I went to meet her and she just gave me meaningless excuses telling me how she no longer knows my whereabout but I was surprised she never called me and i asked what about my four years of being around and serving with total dedication even when others deserted them because the money was gone.
she called the other woman and she also went to our HR and did the same.

I was left stranded because I believed the church was the last hope for me. a place of comfort and defence. from the very alter where it is preached that we should be our brothers keeper.

as I was getting ready to resign I meet a stranger who I don't know from anywhere and he agreed to guarantee me.
this got me wondering the kind of church spirit we have today and if we can do this to each other,what do we want others to think of us.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by whirlwind7(m): 6:00am On Sep 20, 2015
I totally, absolutely, understand your plight.
When I read the first sentence, where you mentioned your absence of just 2 months, I laughed quietly to myself. Means your experience is still new: A fresh casualty.
I have stopped being a regular member of any church. Haven't really taken note of when this decision began, but it's been years. It was the outcome of the accumulation of a series of recurring event, which made me realize that most churches had been taken over by worldly cares and pursuits. Spirituality has taken a backseat.

When you make the error of elevating your pastors to almost equate them with God's place in your life, then your problem just started.
It will surprise you that some regular members have a level of spirituality and an understanding of God's word that their pastors can't hope to match.

Forge your own path, and never rely much on any man. Yes, pastors are mere mortals too! They make judgmental errors, as you have just found out. They can even fail where you as an individual excels.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Karlovich: 6:00am On Sep 20, 2015
Young man, u don't need a church. Be good and live ur life. There are a thousand religions and how are u sure yours is the right one?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by MightySparrow: 6:02am On Sep 20, 2015
cry
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by jaywatt(m): 6:05am On Sep 20, 2015
They ask me why I don't go to church no more, cause church is the new club and wine is the new bub, and lies is the new drugs.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by SeverusSnape(m): 6:05am On Sep 20, 2015
I don't go to church either. Because I found out its a waste of time. I'm now agnostic.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by mebad(m): 6:10am On Sep 20, 2015
It is perfectly natural for you to feel betrayed. But then, the pastor, pastor wife are just human ... Forget the title given to them ... Your loyalty and reason for not going to church should not be because of them ...
Lesson to be learnt. after they , from the church betrayed you. A stranger came from nowhere to the rescue... God never betrays .

4 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by durubrian(m): 6:11am On Sep 20, 2015
YOU SHOULD GO TO CHURCH. (JESUS WENT TO THE SYNAGOGUE)

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Habayomie(m): 6:13am On Sep 20, 2015
Faith in God is the Key... Human will always disappoint.

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by GboyegaD(m): 6:17am On Sep 20, 2015
Your reason to me is not enough to stop going to church. I do not put the blame on you because churches in our society gfs taken away or focus from Christ otherwise, you would have known that your going to church is for your own salvation and faith and not because of any human not benefits you can drive from them.

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by olaric(m): 6:21am On Sep 20, 2015
Your story is one sided. That it is a church doesn't mean they should blindly sign without thinking about it. By the way did you even tell them you were not coming to their parish again?

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Mznaett: 6:34am On Sep 20, 2015
Hmm
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by menesheh(m): 6:40am On Sep 20, 2015
GboyegaD:
Your reason to me is not enough to stop going to church. I do not put the blame on you because churches in our society gfs taken away or focus from Christ otherwise, you would have known that your going to church is for your own salvation and faith and not because of any human not benefits you can drive from them.

He find out he has no good reason to continue attending, he quit. Are you a judge evaluating reasons that's enough.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by kekakuz(m): 6:41am On Sep 20, 2015
olaric:
Your story is one sided. That it is a church doesn't mean they should blindly sign without thinking about it. By the way did you even tell them you were not coming to their parish again?
I did not stop coming
and what do you do when u don't see a member again you call at least
its cheaper than visiting the HR department

4 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by histemple: 6:48am On Sep 20, 2015
olaric:

Shouldn't they have called him to find out why he suddenly stopped coming to their parish before going to his office to do something that was capable of sacking him?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by ATMC(f): 6:59am On Sep 20, 2015
Become a member of the body of Christ and worship God on Sundays with any church. Be not committed to any church or any pastor!
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Greyworld: 7:03am On Sep 20, 2015
@ a point op must have called her " mummy in the Lord"

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by hahn(m): 7:26am On Sep 20, 2015
Typical. Most pastors prefer to enslave their church "workers" in the guise of "working for the lord" while they rake in all the profits of the offering and tithes.

I remember having a friend in Christ embassy and he was the personal assistant to one of their pastors. One day, he told me that he had gotten an admission into an American university and he needed my help with processing it. At the time, I was still facing lots of hardship and I was surprised he would ask me for help. I then told him to tell the pastor since he was close to her and that she could easily raise the subject in church and ask for donations towards the cause. He looked at me and said, "if I tell her she will do everything she can to ensure that I am unable to make the trip." As a matter of fact, that wasn't his first time gaining admission and the last time she did all she could to ensure he didn't make the trip. When I considered everything he was doing for her and the church I just asked him, "then why bother working for her at all?".

I lost my own faith in religion as far back as I can remember. One day, when I was younger, my mom forced me to church for Sunday school. As soon as we sat down in the church, the pastor preaching said and i quote, "some people feel the church is a bank where you can come and withdraw money after making donations. If you have any financial problems, don't come and bother the church as we will not be able to help you." My mom just opened down her mouth and then I asked her for the keys to the house and went back home to continue my sleep.

Sorry op. You realized too late that you were only being used.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by chacoonder(m): 7:28am On Sep 20, 2015
durubrian:
Isn't there any meaningful thing you can say to what the Op has written than this?..I presume you are in the cadre of the "Pastor Mrs".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by SonOfEl(m): 7:46am On Sep 20, 2015
OP, you going to church is a spiritual obligation, not a religious obligation. you are going to church to WORSHIP, not to meet or please anybody. my advice to you is to go to church and worship God, don't commit yourself too much into activities considering the nature of your job. God is not vindictive. your pastor and pastor Mrs. were just being human and insensitive, but I really think you should meet them in person and tell them how their actions have stumbled you. let them know their mistake.

I doubt if you were completely innocent too. were you going to church for the money/material benefit or because you enjoy worshipping together with the congregation? be sincere with yourself sir.

the true church of God is a spiritual body, not a religious organization. it is not every sacrifice of praise and worship from people that is acceptable unto God, because most people today do not worship God IN TRUTH and IN SPIRIT. pls my beloved brother, do not fall into this category of people.

God bless you sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by DankemzI(m): 7:51am On Sep 20, 2015
histemple:

Shouldn't they have called him to find out why he suddenly stopped coming to their parish before going to his office to do something that was capable of sacking him?

The pastors wife will be like; I'll show him that without me he's a nobody. All this pompous men of God damn it!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Donfamous(m): 7:57am On Sep 20, 2015
some pastors are worse than devil himself, greedy, only know how to extort

i've been a victim to sevral of their kind, i just have to continue looking @ Jesus if not, they can make you backslide
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by olaric(m): 8:33am On Sep 20, 2015
kekakuz:

I did not stop coming
and what do you do when u don't see a member again you call at least
its cheaper than visiting the HR department

Though you have a point, you must also know that it's not the church that rewards, but God.
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by moscobabs(m): 8:35am On Sep 20, 2015
hunn so pathetic.!!!!

Me too stop going to church when our parish pastor who post his job 4 years ago decided to look for another job he is actually a part time RCCG pastor. our area pastor wife promised to get him a job in Hus company (she owns a P&G distribution company) and she decided to be paying him 50k .somewhere that was collecting 200k before. to cut the story short, she Employed him as The warehouse manager .after 3 days of respecting him as a fellow pastor she start treat the pastor like a slave, I mean slave. she tell him to enter the truck and start using his head to carry Pampers or bags of Ariel detergent from truck to the warehouse. she stop hi. from attending faith clinic and digging deep .

most Pastors and the wives are nothing but devil incarnates .
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by GboyegaD(m): 8:43am On Sep 20, 2015
menesheh:

He find out he has no good reason to continue attending, he quit. Are you a judge evaluating reasons that's enough.

Don't beat yourself too much. It is my opinion.
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by menesheh(m): 8:46am On Sep 20, 2015
GboyegaD:

Don't beat yourself too much. It is my opinion.

Alright sir. It is my humble opinion too. Not beating myself.
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by yorke1: 8:54am On Sep 20, 2015
What they did was wrong but since you started working...transport fare shouldn't be an issue to you again if you were able to transpot yourself while you were still unemployed.
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Aitee1: 9:23am On Sep 20, 2015
Most churches are modern scam e don tey wey me i wise but I'm inside one now cos their wifi is always on grin grin

Bunch of religious set that don't have the fear of God angry

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by ModiKen(m): 10:34am On Sep 20, 2015
Thia is why I stopped going to church.

Religion is a scam!

Christianity in particular (especially in Nigeria) is a money making venture and a business entity.

Have u seen how many pastors own private jets in the country along with universities and other large business enterprises yet they have members in their churches who can't feed three times daily.

To make matters worse, you see some who shout at the top of their voices during the service "My God is not a God of N50"!

"My God is not a God of N100"!!!

"If you have any of those denominations better not come forward so God does not disgrace you.

WhatDaFvuck!!!

Some even tell members to wave their offerings in the air before coming out to give the offerings to God. Those with little denominations would simply hide theirs to avoid any form of embarassment.

For those who would say I should forget all that cos salvation is personal, I truly agree with you, hence I have decided to stop attending any church and to give 10% of my monthly salary to an orhanage of my choice or help any one in need around me.

Shikena!!!

Our pastors only think about what theyr can gain from you, not what they can give to you in the name of Christ

But guy u no try oooo.

U for inform ur pastor and im wife before leaving their church since you were a well known member, maybe the wife wouldnt have reacted that way at ur departure from their church.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by ewosk: 10:39am On Sep 20, 2015
:-/

So u went to church just to use the wifi..... chisos!!!!

what the name and location of the Church grin

so i nor go church today no inspiring thread for religion section na wa ooo make i go my usual section sef
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 20, 2015
kekakuz:
I have not been to church in over 2 months and this is because I don't understand what a church stands for anymore.please don't judge me, see my reasons.

2 years after graduation I was still jobless.the only way I manage was to play instrument and coordinate choirs.when I joined my church,a branch of RCCG,they offered to pay me a token and be of assistance.I stayed with them for about a year then the pastors wife told me they can no longer afford paying us salary but will continue to pay out transportation. this decision did not go down well with the other instrumentalists and they all left leaving only me behind. I stayed with them for another two years and spend close to 1k every Sunday to come to church and got used to everyone like we were family.
so I finally Got a Job and I was told to get 2 guarantors to guarantee me.I saw this as no problem and gladly asked my pastors wife to be my guarantor. she started dribbling me. I meet the husband and he just told me stories. after much cajoling, she finally agreed to sign for me and another minister.
to cut my story short, I continued coming to church but the distance and transportation was telling on my body and pocket. so I decided to attend another redeem church closer to my house on alternate Sundays. to ease transport.
one Monday I got a call from our human resources that one of my guarantors pulled out. she came to the office.
it was my pastors wife. I was shocked because its a financial institution and the issue became an integrity issue.
I went to meet her and she just gave me meaningless excuses telling me how she no longer knows my whereabout but I was surprised she never called me and i asked what about my four years of being around and serving with total dedication even when others deserted them because the money was gone.
she called the other woman and she also went to our HR and did the same.

I was left stranded because I believed the church was the last hope for me. a place of comfort and defence. from the very alter where it is preached that we should be our brothers keeper.

as I was getting ready to resign I meet a stranger who I don't know from anywhere and he agreed to guarantee me.
this got me wondering the kind of church spirit we have today and if we can do this to each other,what do we want others to think of us.

The church ain't interested in ur well being, They are just interested in milking u dry. Once ur down n out or once they never have any need for u, u will be discared.
Re: Why I Stopped Going To Church by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 20, 2015
durubrian:

The bible never told us to go to church.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The God Challenge / How Fasting Helps To Unlock Your Spiritual Potential / On Wiegraf's Signature : If God made humans from mud then why is mud still here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.