Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland (26440 Views)

RULE 22 / Man On His Kneels To Beg Rich Man In Car For Money In Lagos / This Is What Someone Begging For Money In The Church Through Whatsapp got (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Go Down)

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 20, 2015
Pidggin:

You are not being fair on Seun, please take it easy the man only asked for our opinion he could have done whatever he wanted to do without letting you know. Have you ever been scammed before? i guess not, if you have your perspective will change. NL is someone's business, yes it's a community, but he owes it to us to create a safe forum. Yes we want to help people, but how do you genuinely verify cases? I personally saw a post where someone was asking for help, i was interested, but after checking i discovered the person was not genuine(health forum). Maybe if Seun and the mods can find a way of verifying cases it will be good, but that means giving them more work.

My lady I have lost count of d number of times I have beem scammed in large sums yet I still did not and will not loose my human face.

People make bad choices daily but they also make good ones alongside. Giving is a way of life for some and gives them joy. For those ones which category I fit into, Seun must not steal our joy. I will do my verification myself and do not need NL to do that for me

6 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by imsuboi(m): 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
Seun, this rule would not be nice.

It would be better if you'd find a better way of indexing the "beggars" and "needs" by location.

That way, nairalanders in that particular location could go & verify the stories and post updates on here.
Total abolishment wouldn't be wise.

My 2kobo

3 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
edwife:

This is very mean coming from a man who got his wealth with the support of readers who are not family to you.
What if the family members or church can't help? You are a christian i suppose?Didn't the bible asked to help our neighbours?

We are a family here and if the help is not genuine,we always find out.We have people who verify those claims and personally i have never came across anyone claiming to be defrauded by rendering help rather purchasing stuff.

Please you need to cool down with your attitude towards donations,i don't know why it is a problem for you.

This is not cool.
we are not talking of Christian or not Christian here.

Nowadays is the church taking care of the needy undecided

Or instead enriching THEMSELF out of the money of the poor

2 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by mezebel(f): 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
free2ryhme:

This opinion is too lame

How can u do contribution with someone you don't know and no trace.

Not smart at all
with the rate of globalization and technology,I do not think my opinion is totally lame.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by drnairalov: 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
Seun:
We have no really reliable way of distinguishing between genuine needs and those that are not genuine, so I would appeal to people with such needs to rely on other channels of support such as their family members , friends, and churches.

Loool I laff OAMMB get in here...now u understand what I said earlier with this post up there..smh smh
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by ManTiger(m): 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
ProfEinstein:
This is long over due, a lot of people have been scammed on nairaland and more will still be scammed. Nairaland is not a philanthropic home or a home for beggars. The likes of inspiredm and ogakpatakpata scammed a lot of people on the auto section. I strongly advocate that a rule that forbids people from seeking for donations and money be strongly enforced. If u need help or money go to a bank and get a loan. tongue
I don hear about stuffs like this and decided to read up, omo that inspiredm don chop people money o. Seems some modes sef don dey delete some of the threads.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Omotayor123(f): 7:09pm On Sep 20, 2015
Dexpro:
That will be serious work verifying every claim of someone that needs help. It will amount to Mr. Seun dedicating the whole of his lifetime to Nairaland. Not feasible ma'am.

Sir, it's not an Everyday thing!
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Dexpro: 7:10pm On Sep 20, 2015
cococandy:
I agree with banning personal soliciting. Anyone with urgent need can go through tehn. When they verify his/her case, then they announce it and people can donate as moved.

Not everyone in here knows TEHN. Some don't even know how to go about contacting TEHN for assistance. Some needs are extremely urgent that need urgent attention. Having to go through verification before broadcasting some time. I suggest you insert the link to TEHN thread in your post.

2 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by edwife(f): 7:11pm On Sep 20, 2015
cococandy:
I agree with banning personal soliciting. Anyone with urgent need can go through tehn. When they verify his/her case, then they announce it and people can donate as moved.

He banned Tehn,how will they verify the claims?Besides coco it's like saying most of us are naive or not clever enough to know when something is not genuine.

I don't think he has the right to dictate to readers what they want to do with their money and if he is scared that his reputation will be tarnished when someone get duped then he should just make a rule stating that he has no business with it.

Other bloggers give away money from their own pockets which him doesn't do,so he should not take this away from people who genuinely need help.

4 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by basille(m): 7:12pm On Sep 20, 2015
kennyman2000:

Pray u dont have problem bro..
Problems are constant in life.

3 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by drnairalov: 7:12pm On Sep 20, 2015
Cold blood vampire sucking human being..lol u think bout ur self alone with this opinion u just thought off.. no offence. I hope this is a joke

2 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by badesco(m): 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2015
Nobody is asking for money on NL but advertising their services, it is not left for would be buyer to be extra careful before you part with your money.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by edwife(f): 7:15pm On Sep 20, 2015
sonofananimal:
we are not talking of Christian or not Christian here.

Nowadays is the church taking care of the needy undecided

Or instead enriching THEMSELF out of the money of the poor

Is it the only message you got from my post? undecided
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by tefund(m): 7:19pm On Sep 20, 2015
it should be left to the giver to choose either to give or not,but there be maximum limit of request per month
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Acidosis(m): 7:19pm On Sep 20, 2015
imsuboi:
Seun, this rule would not be nice.

It would be better if you'd find a better way of indexing the "beggars" and "needs" by location.

That way, nairalanders in that particular location could go & verify the stories and post updates on here.
Total abolishment wouldn't be wise.

My 2kobo

The verifications and updates are Seun's major problem. Who is verifying? Another faceless Nairalander?

People should be given the freedom to post. It is the discretion of the giver to give rightly or falsely.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Favparis(f): 7:19pm On Sep 20, 2015
thinkdip:
why should it be banned? when there are people who are capable of helping and are ready, why should you make a rule to stop people given help on a large forum like this, I pray you don't fall into a terrible problem where Nairaland family will be your last option for fund.. then you'll realise you single-handedly dashed your hope....
well I am not surprised too, since the "owner" of this forum shows less charitable spirit towards helping people in need.

N.B: If you can't help people, then don't stop other people from helping (let the giver be the judge)

I smell BAN till 2030 for saying the Gospel Tr*th.

The Lord is your Strength Bro
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
edwife:

Is it the only message you got from my post? undecided
cos that's the message you put most of your energy on undecided
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by temblor(m): 7:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
Before you do so, kindly remember that young man whose thread of plea for help was hidden for two months last year. When it hit front page, alot of assistance was made; but it was too late. Djdola rest in perfect peace, you've touched our hearts dearly.
cc Seun

5 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
Seun if I am to make any suggestion per this proposal of yours it would be just one...

CREATE AN "I NEED HELP"SECTION IN NL AND HAVE IT MODERATED BY ENSURING THAT THOSE SEEKING INVESTMENT PARTNERS STAY OFF IT AND THEN PLACE A BANNER ON THAT PARTICULAR SECTION STATING THAT ANY HELP RENDERED WOULD BE PURELY A PERSONAL CHOICE BY THAT INDIVIDUAL

2 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2015
Seun:
I hereby propose to create a new rule that forbids anyone from asking for money - especially investments and donations - on Nairaland later today. The enforcement of this rule will completely block the activities of many scammers. Any objections?

Good idea.

1 Like

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Sveen: 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2015
naijadeyhia:
Seun if I am to make any suggestion per this proposal of yours it would be just one...

CREATE AN "I NEED HELP"SECTION IN NL AND HAVE IT MODERATED BY ENSURING THAT THOSE SEEKING INVESTMENT PARTNERS STAY OFF IT AND THEN PLACE A BANNER ON THAT PARTICULAR SECTION STATING THAT ANY HELP RENDERED WOULD BE PURELY A PERSONAL CHOICE BY THAT INDIVIDUAL
Seconded.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by cococandy(f): 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2015
He banned tehn?

Hana. Why?

Anyway it's his site. Givers will find other ways to give too if he says no more soliciting.
edwife:

He banned Tehn,how will they verify the claims?Besides coco it's like saying most of us are naive or not clever enough to know when something is not genuine.

I don't think he has the right to dictate to readers what they want to do with their money and if he is scared that his reputation will be tarnished when someone get duped then he should just make a rule stating that he has no business with it.

Other bloggers give away money from their own pockets which him doesn't do,so he should not take this away from people who genuinely need help.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by cococandy(f): 7:26pm On Sep 20, 2015
Dexpro:

Not everyone in here knows TEHN. Some don't even know how to go about contacting TEHN for assistance. Some needs are extremely urgent that need urgent attention. Having to go through verification before broadcasting some time. I suggest you insert the link to TEHN thread in your post.
Anyway no need for that now. As I see tehn is no more.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by cococandy(f): 7:26pm On Sep 20, 2015
Omotayor123:

Abeg what is tehn.
Never mind
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by tonychristopher: 7:28pm On Sep 20, 2015
Seun:
I hereby propose to create a new rule that forbids anyone from asking for money - especially investments and donations - on Nairaland later today. The enforcement of this rule will completely block the activities of many scammers. Any objections?

To me ..I don't think it should be banned but the purpose ..some are genuinely in need and I think they should be given opportunity to get or solicit for funds ...some might be for charity reasons. ..but there might be scam artist also

To me I think that before a post is allowed that is meant to solicit for funds ..there should be some level of scrutinity
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by tonychristopher: 7:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
naijadeyhia:

Such a nice idea and also there should be scrutinity and the serious cases should make front page ... Some people can get break via nairaland

So that's life
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by MaziOmenuko: 7:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
Seun:
We have no really reliable way of distinguishing between genuine needs and those that are not genuine, so I would appeal to people with such needs to rely on other channels of support such as their family members , friends, and churches.

That's a big lie! TEhn has been doing a nice job with verification: unless theres something else u arent saying.

And what's the correlation between begging for financial assistance and getting scammed? How does one get scammed by helping someone with a verified need? If you genuinely intend to fight crime, then this your approach is silly! In all scam cases I've read on Nairaland, none of the culprits asked for financial help, it was a business gone wrong: so u have to close down the business section and stop receiving paid adverts from anyone selling stuffs thru Nairaland (data, cars, clothes and bags etc).

If not, then your intentions aren't pure at all.

Anyway, your site, your rules.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by babyfaceafrica: 7:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
A lot of folks here are very very unfair to seun...you think its easy to manage a forum?...do you know the damage it will do to website when scammers re on the loose?...its not going to be easy for seun to make. Decision..but whatever decision he makes is fine with me...its not only through nairaland that help comes from...and please note ...a man will receive nothing unless he is given from above.....seun God bless you for this forum..stay blessed!!!

2 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Sveen: 7:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
tonychristopher:

Such a nice idea and also there should be scrutinity and the serious cases should make front page ... Some people can get break via nairaland

So that's life
And every help seekers should not go outside the section or else, they'll be banned and the thread removed.
Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 20, 2015
Dexpro:

TEHN has taken up many health cases on Nairaland.

At the moment, a Nairalander's university is being fully funded by Nairalanders through TEHN.

Another student-Nairalander is being sponsored on scholarship by a Nairalander in conjunction with TEHN.

3 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Mcowubaba: 7:40pm On Sep 20, 2015
Mr Seun, i wont go Religious, since i knw fully well that you are an Atheist/free-thinker or whateva..

But as a Business man, this rule is totally bad, Oga ur site(nairaland.com) clearly states below 'everybody is solely responsible for whatever he/she posts/uploads on Nairaland' u can modify it to include 'disclaimer on financial transactions, money fraud or 'begging/charity' nd this should be fully displayed in a conspicuous manner...

Oga even 'the great facebook, twitter, instagram' of international repute- people have scammed, killed, kidnapped etc tru them ..nd i don't think the made any rule Or any serious actions... Every sane person knws that the internet is a deadly place, so the should be on guard....
Mr Seun, don't out-smart urself...relax...worst stories have been heard abt facebook, twitter, instagram scams....people still patronise them massively...

7 Likes

Re: Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland by Mcowubaba: 7:40pm On Sep 20, 2015
Mr Seun, tribalism, bigotry is a bigger problem on Nairaland than Scam/fraud/419/yahoo yahoo....
You nd ur mods have not finished enforcing rule 1 nd 2 properly, u wan add an unimportant rule 22 undecided....

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12)

Cost Of Newspaper Publication For New NGO / 5 Greatest Lies In Nigeria! / Boat Accident In Sokoto Kills 13 Children (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.