Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum (266012 Views)

Job opportunities 4 Medical Laboratory Scientists in nigeria / Medical Laboratory Scientists(internship) / Where Do Science Laboratory Technology Graduates Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Olarewajub: 3:21pm On Aug 19, 2014
cowleg: i couldnt buy it then coz was outta of stock! I used it solely frm dept library! I prefer tietz, why i use crook was coz my lecturer likes to lift info from that book smiley
what level are you in? I graduated last year waiting for induction coz ASUU strike delay em.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by koolnd: 10:28pm On Aug 21, 2014
Good medical or clinical laboratory practice (GMLP) concept possesses a unique quality, as it embraces both the research and clinical aspect of good laboratory practice.

http://www.scharticles.com/effects-good-medical-laboratory-practice/

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by KanayoIkeh(m): 3:31pm On Sep 23, 2014
I'm a new Medical Laboratory Scientist. Nice to find my professional colleagues online. Anyone has any news about ASCPi? Has anyone taken the exam in this forum?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by ndukwe88(m): 8:30am On Sep 24, 2014
Wow am greatful to be part of MLS
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 26, 2014
KanayoIkeh: I'm a new Medical Laboratory Scientist. Nice to find my professional colleagues online. Anyone has any news about ASCPi? Has anyone taken the exam in this forum?

Before taking the Ascp(international) exam for Internationally trained Medical Laboratory Scientists, you'll need to evaluate your credential through World education service and then send a copy to Ascp in the United States. As long as you are well grounded in all the sub-fields like Haematology,Cyto/Histopath, Med.Micro, Clinical Chem, BGS, you are good to go. A colleague has started the procedure already and is taking mock tests on their website.

There is an acute shortage over there and average pay of BioMedical Scientists/MLS in states like California is about $80,000(about 13.5 million naira)/yr. Do the maths.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Joejonah(m): 6:07am On Sep 27, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Before taking the Ascp(international) exam for Internationally trained Medical Laboratory Scientists, you'll need to evaluate your credential through World education service and then send a copy to Ascp in the United States. As long as you are well grounded in all the sub-fields like Haematology,Cyto/Histopath, Med.Micro, Clinical Chem, BGS, you are good to go. A colleague has started the procedure already and is taking mock tests on their website.

There is an acute shortage over there and average pay of BioMedical Scientists/MLS in states like California is about $80,000(about 13.5 million naira)/yr. Do the maths.

and I would like to know the average pay in nigeria too...
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 27, 2014
Joejonah:

and I would like to know the average pay in nigeria too...

In government parastatals and some big private labs, it's been 'forward-looking', at least recently. Though a lot of ground still has to be covered.

Innovative MLScientists in private practice are not doing badly though but over-regulation by state agencies has been one of the bottlenecks bedeviling Medical laboratory enterprise. That's why we need more of our people at policy-making echelons. We have some good heads in the Senate and HOR but we still need more of our professionals in State ministry health boards.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by GenAdekunle2: 10:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

In government parastatals and some big private labs, it's been 'forward-looking', at least recently. Though a lot of ground still has to be covered.

Innovative MLScientists in private practice are not doing badly though but over-regulation by state agencies has been one of the bottlenecks bedeviling Medical laboratory enterprise. That's why need more of our people at policy-making echelons. We have some good heads in the Senate and HOR but we still need more of our professionals in State ministry health boards.

U dis animal chidozie still dey hide for hia grin grin grin

when are u coming back to d politics section? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by fdhhuytd: 6:51am On Sep 29, 2014
proud being a member of this forum....pls pals. i just want to be clearified of something....am an intern medical laboratory scientist in india..and a nigerian.i will be done with internship by mid october this year...i just want someone to pls explain to me the procedures for registration and
lincencing for foreign trained med. lab graduates...if there will be professional exams and how and when it's been conducted and if another internship is mandatory....have gone to mlscn website but couldn't get enough information....thanks friends will appreciate ur reply(s) so much...
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 12:05am On Sep 30, 2014
@YourHealthlabs

I admire the way you champion the cause of med lab scientists on this forum. From your posts I've seen the way you take the fight to medical doctors there and expose the way they oppress other healthcare professionals in nigeria.

Unfortunately, light hasn't been shown on how the med lab scientist apply similar tactics (as medical doctors do) against individuals that are graduates of biochemistry and microbiology. There is no good reason why individuals who hold bsc in the above mentioned fields should not be allowed to practice the profession that requires knowledge in their fields. I am surprised that MLSCN could come up with frivolous reasons to justify their decision to place an embargo on individuals who hold a bsc in microbiology & biochemistry (which I learnt you guys prefer to call chemical pathology).

I have done my search online and found out that it is only in nigeria where such absurd views are held. Even in nearby ghana, their GABMLS (ghanian association of biomedical laboratory scientists) does not place such unnecessary embargo.

I am a microbiologist, I did my internship in the nigerian institute of medical research. The attitude the med lab scientists there displayed toward me was disgusting. I am aggrieved. I see no wrong in me if I decide to be a medical microbiologist, I see no wrong if I decide to open a laboratory in my community and offer clinical diagnostic services. Why is MLSCN frustrating my ambition in life? Why do you guys feel oppressing people like me will solve any problem that affects the profession?

I have taken my time to go through the act of parliament that created MLSCN. In that bill, provision is made for MLSCN to license bsc holders in microbiology & biochemistry for clinical work. I have been made to understand that the council has the right to refuse/reject/withhold license from any individual without being questioned. This is the only reason I have not gone to court over this issue. When the institute of medical laboratory technology was still in existence such things never came up. I wonder why MLSCN decided to tow this line.

The year 2015 will make it 7 years since this "suspension" was placed on bsc holders. Several overtures, by some of my senior colleagues, to MLSCN to reconsider this issue has been rebuffed. Its unfortunate that we'll have to fight against MLSCN to get a foothold and secure the future of our careers as medical microbiologists and medical biochemists.

I have information that in the united states, there are two professional bodies that concern themselves with clinical diagnostics of diseases. We will set up a parallel body (affiliated with NMA) if MLSCN does not reconsider their stand on licensure for bsc holders in the biological sciences (microbiology & biochemistry).

Drastic measures will have to taken, its unfortunate.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 30, 2014
fdhhuytd: proud being a member of this forum....pls pals. i just want to be clearified of something....am an intern medical laboratory scientist in india..and a nigerian.i will be done with internship by mid october this year...i just want someone to pls explain to me the procedures for registration and
lincencing for foreign trained med. lab graduates...if there will be professional exams and how and when it's been conducted and if another internship is mandatory....have gone to mlscn website but couldn't get enough information....thanks friends will appreciate ur reply(s) so much...

Before you can be licensed to practice in Nigeria,your foreign MLS education will have to be evaluated. Even those that studied Biomedical Science in the UK pass through the same procedure.

My advice is to pay a visit to MLSCN council office at garki, Abuja and get clarifications.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 30, 2014
coollabman: @YourHealthlabs

I admire the way you champion the cause of med lab scientists on this forum. From your posts I've seen the way you take the fight to medical doctors there and expose the way they oppress other healthcare professionals in nigeria.

Unfortunately, light hasn't been shown on how the med lab scientist apply similar tactics (as medical doctors do) against individuals that are graduates of biochemistry and microbiology. There is no good reason why individuals who hold bsc in the above mentioned fields should not be allowed to practice the profession that requires knowledge in their fields. I am surprised that MLSCN could come up with frivolous reasons to justify their decision to place an embargo on individuals who hold a bsc in microbiology & biochemistry (which I learnt you guys prefer to call chemical pathology).

I have done my search online and found out that it is only in nigeria where such absurd views are held. Even in nearby ghana, their GABMLS (ghanian association of biomedical laboratory scientists) does not place such unnecessary embargo.

I am a microbiologist, I did my internship in the nigerian institute of medical research. The attitude the med lab scientists there displayed toward me was disgusting. I am aggrieved. I see no wrong in me if I decide to be a medical microbiologist, I see no wrong if I decide to open a laboratory in my community and offer clinical diagnostic services. Why is MLSCN frustrating my ambition in life? Why do you guys feel oppressing people like me will solve any problem that affects the profession?

I have taken my time to go through the act of parliament that created MLSCN. In that bill, provision is made for MLSCN to license bsc holders in microbiology & biochemistry for clinical work. I have been made to understand that the council has the right to refuse/reject/withhold license from any individual without being questioned. This is the only reason I have not gone to court over this issue. When the institute of medical laboratory technology was still in existence such things never came up. I wonder why MLSCN decided to tow this line.

The year 2015 will make it 7 years since this "suspension" was placed on bsc holders. Several overtures, by some of my senior colleagues, to MLSCN to reconsider this issue has been rebuffed. Its unfortunate that we'll have to fight against MLSCN to get a foothold and secure the future of our careers as medical microbiologists and medical biochemists.

I have information that in the united states, there are two professional bodies that concern themselves with clinical diagnostics of diseases. We will set up a parallel body (affiliated with NMA) if MLSCN does not reconsider their stand on licensure for bsc holders in the biological sciences (microbiology & biochemistry).

My brother, I saw your email and had to take my time to give you a satisfactory response as this is a very sensitive issue. Please check your mail in 24hrs.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 30, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

My brother, I saw your email and had to take my time to give you a satisfactory response as this is a very sensitive issue. Please check your mail in 24hrs.

Ok, I thought you didn't get it. That is why I came out on a public forum to lay out my complaint. I'll be expecting your reply. Thanks
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by KanayoIkeh(m): 6:45am On Oct 02, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Thanks a lot
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by marvelling(m): 10:05pm On Oct 02, 2014
coollabman: @YourHealthlabs

Wow! shocked I can see a lot of frustration in your post. Am a microbiologist and I can categorically tell you that you don't have to do clinical diagnostics of infectious diseases professionally to be a medical microbiologist. You can go into public/environmental health. Its actually possible to be registered and licensed as an environmental health officer (apparently they are in short supply) with you bsc in microbiology. Its a good career line to follow.

Leave this medical lab thing, its not as if the so called "professionals" are actually enjoying it (they are mostly underpaid and overworked clinical staff). I wonder why many microbiology students (like yourself) want to die on top this matter. Microbiology is too vast and too important to be narrowed down to the clinical aspect. Please stop trying to be an appendage to the medical profession.

Lastly, I'll have to fault you on contacting YourHealthlabs (yes I will). He is one of the biomedical scientists (like the ones you met in NIMR) that are under the delusion that they are superior to biological scientists like us (some will even go as far as preventing bsc students from getting some clinical training). He once suggested that there is no where in the world where bsc holders in microbiology are trained for clinical work, whereas its a lie (check this link if you doubt www.asm.org/index.php/nrcm-cert scroll down to see it pasted there).

Young man pls don't be frustrated with the way things are, na condition make crayfish bend. #SHALOM
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2014
marvelling:

Wow! shocked I can see a lot of frustration in your post. Am a microbiologist and I can categorically tell you that you don't have to do clinical diagnostics of infectious diseases professionally to be a medical microbiologist. You can go into public/environmental health. Its actually possible to be registered and licensed as an environmental health officer (apparently they are in short supply) with you bsc in microbiology. Its a good career line to follow.

Leave this medical lab thing, its not as if the so called "professionals" are actually enjoying it (they are mostly underpaid and overworked clinical staff). I wonder why many microbiology students (like yourself) want to die on top this matter. Microbiology is too vast and too important to be narrowed down to the clinical aspect. Please stop trying to be an appendage to the medical profession.

Lastly, I'll have to fault you on contacting YourHealthlabs (yes I will). He is one of the biomedical scientists (like the ones you met in NIMR) that are under the delusion that they are superior to biological scientists like us (some will even go as far as preventing bsc students from getting some clinical training). He once suggested that there is no where in the world where bsc holders in microbiology are trained for clinical work, whereas its a lie (check this link if you doubt www.asm.org/index.php/nrcm-cert scroll down to see it pasted there).

Young man pls don't be frustrated with the way things are, na condition make crayfish bend. #SHALOM

Biological Scientists and Biomedical Scientists are all SCIENTISTS in different fields. Infact i know lots of your professionals that are astute biological researchers, (As i opined in my private reply to him). If you ask me, there are more opportunities for Biological and chemical Scientists than MLS. How many Chemical/Food/confectionary industries/firm will want to recruit a Clinical Scientist over a Chemist or Biologist. Ever heard of the Institute of Public analysts (IPAN)?. How many MLS/Clinical Scientists are allowed into that Institute?. It is solely your turf.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Parasitic(m): 8:36am On Oct 05, 2014
I notice most laboratory managers discriminate against men while they favour women in terms of employment. Most of female colleagues easily get placements to lab for hands on technical experience but men are usually not favoured.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 05, 2014
@YourHealthlabs
Please i graduated with 2.1 mls, i want you to share tips, exam format for intern exam? How can one suceed to get intern placement? Coz what i keep hearing from side talk is that its by connection/influence. I am realy good theoretical but not much bench experience yet. Thank you happy sunday
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 07, 2014
Started work experience today at a hospital lab, oboy see where scientists and technicians are quarelling. The thing tire me o o o.

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Olarewajub: 3:46pm On Oct 07, 2014
Lol. Why where they quarelling?
cowleg:
Started work experience today at a hospital lab, oboy see where scientists and technicians are quarelling. The thing tire me o o o.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
Olarewajub:
Lol. Why where they quarelling?
technicians wan claim right, say them sabi book plus low pay, them dey envy scientist high pay. While scientist dem wan form oga dey control dem technologist.

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Olarewajub: 6:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
That's bad. Lack of corporation and all to the detriment of patients.
cowleg:
technicians wan claim right, say them sabi book plus low pay, them dey envy scientist high pay. While scientist dem wan form oga dey control dem technologist.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 09, 2014
cowleg:
@YourHealthlabs
Please i graduated with 2.1 mls, i want you to share tips, exam format for intern exam? How can one suceed to get intern placement? Coz what i keep hearing from side talk is that its by connection/influence. I am realy good theoretical but not much bench experience yet. Thank you happy sunday

Very good result, but the truth is, in the field of healthcare, everyone is given equal opportunies to practically prove themselves on the workbench. Internship placements are competitive and usually relatively few So the only edge you can create for yourself is getting into system first. Pay or no pay. Who knows? You may find an important 'connection' and land yourself a placement.

*modified*
I can see you are already doing that.Good step.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Parasitic(m): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2014
Thankz sir. I pray 4 conection o o o coz i see the intern exam doesnt realy count. Every body looking for connection things. Well the private hospital, i work in their lab, is a very big lab wit complex machines, so most test are by automation. Working without pay.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
YourHealthlabs, do government general hospitals or mission hospitals accept application.for internship.

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Drdonzeez(m): 11:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
is BMLS degree a classified one?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 20, 2014
Drdonzeez:
is BMLS degree a classified one?

How? I didnt understand your post
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Drdonzeez(m): 8:21am On Oct 20, 2014
I .mean first class,second class e.t.c
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Parasitic(m): 9:51am On Oct 20, 2014
Drdonzeez:
I .mean first class,second class e.t.c
yes sir!!
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Drdonzeez(m): 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2014
OK....medicine and Dentistry are not
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by 2Gentle4all: 9:44am On Nov 25, 2014
Pls,can a graduate of medical physiology do postgraduate diploma in medical lab science, if yes, pls what is the duration and the instructions that offer it.?

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 25, 2014
2Gentle4all:
Pls,can a graduate of medical physiology do postgraduate diploma in medical lab science, if yes, pls what is the duration and the instructions that offer it.?

It doesn't exist anymore. IMLTN metamorphosized into MLSCN. MLSCN has put the postgraduate diploma programme on indefinite suspension since medical laboratory science is now a degree course awarding the BMLS certificate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (51) (Reply)

Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017 / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Human Resource Professionals:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.