Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent (2755 Views)

Did You Have This Kind Of Parent As A Kid? How Did You Survive? / 13 Questions Nigerian Parents Ask When You Say You’re Going To Visit A Friend / Who Else Has This Kind Of Mum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2015
Something happened last week to a nephew of mine who is in his twenties, based in lagos and still in the university. First and foremost ,they have no female in the family except the mother. This nephew of mine is the eldest of three sons and does all the house chores like sweeping ,cleaning and even cooking while the mother does absolutely nothing except watching africa magic while the son is busy in the kitchen cooking what the family will eat.
On this day, the mother complained about this nephew not cooking the meat he was asked to cook well that he didn't add spice and wash the meat well and he told the mother boldly, ''I am not a woman, you can't expect me to cook the food any better''. This caused a heated argument and the mother reported him to his father. His father told him to apologize which he failed to do because he felt he wasn't at fault. Then he asked him to kneel down brought belt from the room and flogged him. This nephew of mine is grown up and an adult and it was so alarming that a parent would stoop so low to flog someone who is old enough to own a family of his own. He even contemplated reporting the matter to the police and file a case of physical assault but he decided to change his mind. Please house what is your take on this and who is to blame. Also to add to the issue,at what age did your parent stop flogging you? because flogging a child in his twenties looks absurd and foolish to me. I have children too and i can boldly say i've never layed a finger on them before.
lalasticlala and mods
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by psucc(m): 8:20pm On Sep 22, 2015
If he is grown up beyond discipline, he better get out of somebody's house and as well cater for his education. Inasmuch as he resides therein, by all moral standards, he owe his parents a duty, including cooking.

5 Likes

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by innervoice(m): 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2015
He better moves out ASAP.
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Richy4(m): 9:11pm On Sep 22, 2015
So during the heated argument, he doesn't know what his mates does best right?

What he should have done was to leave the room and slam the door to it's very foundation....

Anyways there is nothing he can do at the moment because his school fee, and up keep is on the line if he does anything funny.

I have no issue with his parents asking him to do the chores. But they should stop treating him like a girl. The kneeling down aspect, the flogging @ 20s haba!!!!!

People that says he should move out, yes he should. But do people move out empty handed? He is a student. He got no job. How will be pay the bills and rent.

When the white guys move out of their parents houses and jobless. The government provides for them monthly or fortnightly enough to pay rent. And feed. But if they want more to buy shirt, cigarette etc, that is when they storm out of their comfort zone and look for work. You guys should not mistake Nigeria to be like that. He got no where to go to.

2 Likes

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by freecocoa(f): 9:38pm On Sep 22, 2015
His parents are wrong to flog or treat him with disrespect but then, he doesn't seem to respect his parents enough to take simple instructions from them, who does he expect to be cooking for him? His parents pay his fees, house and feed him, the least he can do is help out with chores. There's nothing wrong in a man cooking(especially for his parents), he should find a way to reach out to his parents to understand each other better, although I doubt that he's really reasonable telling his mum not to expect "better" from him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by faith2ogesco(m): 9:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
Guys leave dose talk o. He's d first son. No father in his ryt mind will deprive his first son of education cos of DAT issue. My dad hardly caned me wen I was lil but I learnt. As I finish sec skul cane no dey near me again o. He knows wats up na. I ain't disrespectful but I won't stand deer and take dose floggings. No offence his dad seems insecure toe for doing DAT and its prob d mums influence.

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Haywhymido(m): 9:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
Permit me to write dis : iranu abasha, iranu abasha, e mi baba .... Abeg ah no knw d remaining help finish am. Now to the topic: "soun yo ni" just like my frds in school do say it. Awon parent yen, yo gan o, esp. the mother. But, the guy too fu*k up, u av already passed d msg to ur mum, apologise to save ur ass 4rm been flogged. Which shd go like dis : give a sober face with u kneeling down, mummy am sorry, u knw, u r the one i love most in this family.moreover, i wldnt dare to disrespect the best mum in the world. it was jst dat i was stressed up in d afternoon, dat was why i miss yarn. The guy shd be holding his mother's leg now, let dis out of ur mouth, mummy pls na, try to crawl up n give a hug. Shout Big mummy. If ur father is the shy type, he wld be ashamed by now. If he is not, he will jst smile n let go. Trust me nxt time such thing happens ur father wont intervene, at worst he will talk to u man to man.But, if the guy choose to be forming strong head i pity u, u go chop cane till u marry. Ur parent be ur mate??
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 22, 2015
faith2ogesco:
Guys leave dose talk o. He's d first son. No father in his ryt mind will deprive his first son of education cos of DAT issue. My dad hardly caned me wen I was lil but I learnt. As I finish sec skul cane no dey near me again o. He knows wats up na. I ain't disrespectful but I won't stand deer and take dose floggings. No offence his dad seems insecure toe for doing DAT and its prob d mums influence.
Honestly, the most painful aspect is the flogging issue. Which parent in his right senses will flog an adult that will be graduating in the next few weeks? Like you rightly said, I honestly wouldn't have taken such nonsense .
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by fayvah(m): 11:33pm On Sep 22, 2015
psucc:
If he is grown up beyond discipline, he better get out of somebody's house and as well cater for his education. Inasmuch as he resides therein, by all moral standards, he owe his parents a duty, including cooking.

u dey talk bullshit aw mumsy go dey aux pikin go dey cook n she dey complain.....
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 11:41pm On Sep 22, 2015
fayvah:
u dey talk bullshit aw mumsy go dey aux pikin go dey cook n she dey complain.....
freecocoa:
His parents are wrong to flog or treat him with disrespect but then, he doesn't seem to respect his parents enough to take simple instructions from them, who does he expect to be cooking for him? His parents pay his fees, house and feed him, the least he can do is help out with chores. There's nothing wrong in a man cooking(especially for his parents), he should find a way to reach out to his parents to understand each other better, although I doubt that he's really reasonable telling his mum not to expect "better" from him.
You don't understand my sister, he complained the mother does almost nothing in the house. He said all she does is watch africa magic while he is busy in the kitchen cooking what the family will eat and still,they complain if the food is not sweet or the spice is not enough or the food is not properly cooked . It is not really that the parents are that old. They are just in their late forties. If they were old and too weak to work, it would have been understandable but they are not.
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by freecocoa(f): 11:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
Xbabangida:

You don't understand my sister, he complained the mother does almost nothing in the house. He said all she does is watch africa magic while he is busy in the kitchen cooking what the family will eat and still,they complain if the food is not sweet or the spice is not enough or the food is not properly cooked . It is not really that the parents are that old. They are just in their late forties. If they were old and too weak to work, it would have been understandable but they are not.
Babe, if I lived with my parents, it will give me pleasure to do all I can for them in the house, least of all chores, I won't be comfortable sitting while my mum does chores, unless she insists, has his mother not been taking care of him since? What's the big deal? What sort of child even complains that his mum does nothing but watch african magic? Except his mum has been that way since they know her, then I can't understand his angle, besides, it's not like he doesn't have siblings who help out, or does he do [b]everything[/b]himself?

It's not entirely fair to complain after someone's made effort but then, that also doesn't mean he can't take correction and cook better, maybe it's me but I find it really strange that a man in his 20s living at home, will expect his mum to do chores for him.

My dear, late forties don dey old these days, if not the way our country be, one should be thinking of things to do for his/her parents as appreciation or just to even show them love, not complaining about cooking for them.
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 12:11am On Sep 23, 2015
freecocoa:
Babe, if I lived with my parents, it will give me pleasure to do all I can for them in the house, least of all chores, I won't be comfortable sitting while my mum does chores, unless she insists, has his mother not been taking care of him since? What's the big deal? What sort of child even complains that his mum does nothing but watch african magic? Except his mum has been that way since they know her, then I can't understand his angle, besides, it's not like he doesn't have siblings who help out, or does he do [b]everything[/b]himself?

It's not entirely fair to complain after someone's made effort but then, that also doesn't mean he can't take correction and cook better, maybe it's me but I find it really strange that a man in his 20s living at home, will expect his mum to do chores for him.

My dear, late forties don dey old these days, if not the way our country be, one should be thinking of things to do for his/her parents as appreciation or just to even show them love, not complaining about cooking for them.
What you've failed to understand is that he is a guy and not a lady.

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by freecocoa(f): 12:14am On Sep 23, 2015
Xbabangida:

What you've failed to understand is that he is a guy and not a lady.
I've been using "he" and you think I don't know he's a man? So parents with no female child(ren) shouldn't have chores done for them or what exactly?

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 23, 2015
freecocoa:
I've been using "he" and you think I don't know he's a man? So parents with no female child(ren) shouldn't have chores done for them or what exactly?
You are just talking out of sentiments.

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by freecocoa(f): 12:20am On Sep 23, 2015
Xbabangida:

You are just talking out of sentiments.
Okay.
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 12:26am On Sep 23, 2015
freecocoa:
Okay.
How will you feel if at your age your father told you to wash his car only for him to tell you to kneel down and flog you for not washing his car well?
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by freecocoa(f): 12:32am On Sep 23, 2015
Xbabangida:

How will you feel if at your age your father told you to wash his car only for him to tell you to kneel down and flog you for not washing his car well?
Did you read my first post? I condemned him being flogged and suggested he talks to his parents about such things so they can understand each other better by finding the best way to communicate without any party feeling disrespected.

Btw, my dad doesn't need to tell me to wash his car, I do that whenever I'm home, if he happens to be already at it and I notice, I take over, there are some errands you don't wait to be sent on.

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 23, 2015
freecocoa:
Did you read my first post? I condemned him being flogged and suggested he talks to his parents about such things so they can understand each other better by finding the best way to communicate without any party feeling disrespected.

Btw, my dad doesn't need to tell me to wash his car, I do that whenever I'm home, if he happens to be already at it and I notice, I take over, there are some errands you don't wait to be sent on.
But my stance is certain chores are masculine while others are feminine and they should be kept that way. Not in my life will I force my son to cook except he is doing from his own freewill and I wouldn't stoop so low to tell him that the food is not sweet rather encourage him to do better or better still ,leave the cooking for me,I will handle it, I am still alive and strong.
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by freecocoa(f): 12:58am On Sep 23, 2015
Xbabangida:

But my stance is certain chores are masculine while others are feminine and they should be kept that way. Not in my life will I force my son to cook except he is doing from his own freewill and I wouldn't stoop so low to tell him that the food is not sweet rather encourage him to do better or better still ,leave the cooking for me,I will handle it, I am still alive and strong.
Do whatever you want with your children, your sister has decided her son should cook for her, a decision I have no issues with, there is nowhere it is written in the constitution, that a man can't/shouldn't cook or that those chores are feminine, untill you can prove otherwise, I don't see what we are arguing about.

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by armyofone(m): 1:12am On Sep 23, 2015
This is what you deal with when at 20 you are still living with your parents.
At 20 you should be in college having 20 credits hours workload and a part time job.
As long as you are under their roof, cook the meat according to how you are told.
Baba beating him is bad though.

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Dyt(f): 5:17am On Sep 23, 2015
Wait
Is someone complaining how a parent should treat his own child?
Like is it wrong if he cooks and clean?
Your friend is rude and you are encouraging him
Yea sometimes we get mad at our patents for not appreciating but it was a simple thing to do, tell mummy sorry
He's proud
He thinks he owns the world already
So
What if his parents decides to make him even wash the floors
He shouldn't even complain except he's lazy
My mum has 5 kids and the first 4 were boys
They even washed my clothes when I was in senior class
At this their ages mum still yells at them when they do things wrong even when they are married

His father should lay him and beat him again for being rude and proud
I am an African mother and I don't take a child's insolence at all
Sue me

2 Likes

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by faith2ogesco(m): 6:43am On Sep 23, 2015
freecocoa:

ur a lady he's d first son. Big difference
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by faith2ogesco(m): 6:44am On Sep 23, 2015
faith2ogesco:
ur a lady he's d first son. Big difference. I cook at tyms in d house but when dey wanted to turn me to kitchen boy one certain tyms, I jux park
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 23, 2015
Xbabangida:

Don't worry, when you don't have a female child you'll understand. . You'll continue doing all chores alone because men don't do chores abi?
Yes, some chores may be feminine but what happens when a female isn't around? The mother will continue toiling because men are allergic to chores abi??

The instance you gave about female washing cars.. so if you don't have a brother, you'll leave your dad to be washing his cars while you watch?

The children are all grown, they should even be willing to render any assistance they can to their parents before they leave and start their own family. .

People like you will be saying men shouldn't do chores but will cry when your husband doesn't help at home..
Had he been the person watching African magic while his mum cooked, he wouldn't have seen a problem. .there is a problem because it was the woman watching undecided

I see no problem with op doing chores at all.. the only problem i see is the canning even though op may have been rude to his mum....

1 Like

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by HitlerGaddafi: 8:22am On Sep 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Don't worry, when you don't have a female child you'll understand. . You'll continue doing all chores alone because men don't do chores abi?
Yes, some chores may be feminine but what happens when a female isn't around? The mother will continue toiling because men are allergic to chores abi??

The instance you gave about female washing cars.. so if you don't have a brother, you'll leave your dad to be washing his cars while you watch?

The children are all grown, they should even be willing to render any assistance they can to their parents before they leave and start their own family. .

People like you will be saying men shouldn't do chores but will cry when your husband doesn't help at home..
Had he been the person watching African magic while his mum cooks, he wouldn't have seen a problem. .there is a problem because it's the woman watching undecided

I see no problem with op doing chores at all.. the only problem i see is the canning even though op may have been rude to his mum....

African mentality shaaa. I noticed only the female are in support of that nonsense,it all boils down to sentiments. When I was younger too, they almost turned me to a woman in the house. I cooked,swept ,wash,did this did that. On this particularly day, they gave me their underwear to wash and i was grossly irritated. I argued with them that day and I just parked my things and left the house. The truth is we don't have good mothers again. The mothers of this generation and previous ones lack maternal care and that maternal bond and people like you, Dyt freecocoa are definitely one of them. Drop this african mentality, it is stvpidity and thats why the whites will continue to call you animals because of nothing but your awkward way of thinking. I see no reason why a grown up male child should be forced to cook and still complain that the food is not well cooked. First and foremost, he has no business in that kitchen so get that, upfront.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Dyt(f): 8:39am On Sep 23, 2015
HitlerGaddafi:

African mentality shaaa. I noticed only the female are in support of that nonsense,it all boils down to sentiments. When I was younger too, they almost turned me to a woman in the house. I cooked,swept ,wash,did this did that. On this particularly day, they gave me their underwear to wash and i was grossly irritated. I argued with them that day and I just parked my things and left the house. The truth is we don't have good mothers again. The mothers of this generation and previous ones lack maternal care and that maternal bond and people like you, Dyt freecocoa are definitely one of them. Drop this african mentality, it is stvpidity and thats why the whites will continue to call you animals because of nothing but your awkward way of thinking. I see no reason why a grown up male child should be forced to cook and still complain that the food is not well cooked. First and foremost, he has no business in that kitchen so get that, upfront.

You are the one African mentality is killing
What do you mean by he's got no business in the kitchen
You will so use your wife even when she's at the point of pushing
Don't worry
Your ego will drive you nuts when you marry a feminist
Your types thinks women are slaves and shouldn't be anywhere other than the kitchen
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by faith2ogesco(m): 9:18am On Sep 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:

Had he been the person watching African magic while his mum cooks, he wouldn't have seen a problem. .there is a problem because it's the woman watching undecided

no prob in doing chores for me. But as for being rude, d mum caused it jor. She's suppose to be wiser. Whenever I did a chore and didn't do it well. Mama encouraged me. Esp if it was kitchen duty. Only God knows how she said it DAT made d dude flare up. Every parent in naija always know children obey ur parents in d lord. But dey never remember d one DAT says parents do not provoke your children to wrath. Even when dey do DAT. Children still take d blame. If she had corrected him subtly with instructions on how to do it better. Dis case for no dey here now. Astalabyebye

2 Likes

Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 23, 2015
faith2ogesco:
no prob in doing chores for me. But as for being rude, d mum caused it jor. She's suppose to be wiser. Whenever I did a chore and didn't do it well. Mama encouraged me. Esp if it was kitchen duty. Only God knows how she said it DAT made d dude flare up. Every parent in naija always know children obey ur parents in d lord. But dey never remember d one DAT says parents do not provoke your children to wrath. Even when dey do DAT. Children still take d blame. If she had corrected him subtly with instructions on how to do it better. Dis case for no dey here now. Astalabyebye
Yeah, the woman would have simply encouraged him instead...
However, two wrongs don't make a right, he would have found a better way of handling it instead of flaring up and exchanging words with his mum..

In Africa, you must obey your parents as long as you're still under their roof and they fend for you. . You just have to hustle and leave ASAP... No, I don't justify the treatment some parents mete out to their kids...
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by jashar(f): 9:48am On Sep 23, 2015
Richy4:
So during the heated argument, he doesn't know what his mates does best right?

What he should have done was to leave the room and slam the door to it's very foundation....

Anyways there is nothing he can do at the moment because his school fee, and up keep is on the line if he does anything funny.

I have no issue with his parents asking him to do the chores. But they should stop treating him like a girl. The kneeling down aspect, the flogging @ 20s haba!!!!!

People that says he should move out, yes he should. But do people move out empty handed? He is a student. He got no job. How will be pay the bills and rent.

When the white guys move out of their parents houses and jobless. The government provides for them monthly or fortnightly enough to pay rent. And feed. But if they want more to buy shirt, cigarette etc, that is when they storm out of their comfort zone and look for work. You guys should not mistake Nigeria to be like that. He got no where to go to.

Please explain 'treating him like a girl'. Girls should be treated like the way he was treated right?
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by jashar(f): 9:52am On Sep 23, 2015
HitlerGaddafi:

You said we should drop African mentality baa?

So who now has business in the kitchen?

Ghosts of Christmas Past shey?
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by freecocoa(f): 9:56am On Sep 23, 2015
jashar:

Please explain 'treating him like a girl'. Girls should be treated like the way he was treated right?
You didn't get the memo? Girls are to be treated with no regard na, that's how one on FB said that a man doing chores is demeaning, I asked him if it's demeaning for a man to do chores, why isn't it demeaning for a lady? He was just busy rambling, saying a man is superior to a woman, how can I compare a man that his sperm makes a baby bla bla bla to a woman? I just weak, that's how ignorant they are.
Re: What Can You Say About This Kind Of Parent by jashar(f): 9:57am On Sep 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Yeah, the woman would have simply encouraged him instead...
However, two wrongs don't make a right, he would have found a better way of handling it instead of flaring up and exchanging words with his mum..

In Africa, you must obey your parents as long as you're still under their roof and they fend for you. . You just have to hustle and leave ASAP... No, I don't justify the treatment some parents mete out to their kids...

Forget Africa now. Anyway you go,'it's my house, my rules'. If you ain't comfortable, move your shiit out. Afterall, outside African when the children reach a certain age, they start paying rent in their parents house.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This Kind Of Job Not More Of A Slavery For A Married Woman,please Advise / Clearance Clearance Clearance / The Lies We Were Told When We Were Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.