Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,917 members, 7,817,690 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. (1547 Views)

Man Celebrates His Great Grandmother Who Is 100plus, Still Walks, Sees & Hears / Wedding Of 42-Year-Old Folasade Dairo, A Nigerian Mother Of 4 In USA / Guy Poses With His 101-Year-Old Great Grand Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by DesChyko: 6:36am On Sep 23, 2015
On a beautiful Saturday evening, I opted to take a walk around this lovely island in Delta State that I've come to love. After a hectic day spent cleaning the house, and a long relaxing sleep through the afternoon, a walk by the breezy water edges surrounding the community seemed the perfect remedy to reviving the dull spirits I awoke with.
So I left, noticing time and again, that the water level is on par with the island. (River Niger precisely; I just don't feel comfortable telling myself this is it). A few more rains, and the island will be about 90mm deep in water. This, the indigenes waited for expectantly, happiness radiating from their faces as they talked about it in anticipation. If only they knew how quickly I'll escape once the water claimed its first millimetre of the island.
As I lazed along, taking in the rumbling waters to my right, speedboats flying to and fro on the sandy-coloured waters, the sound of kids screaming in delight as they played reached my ears. A thought suddenly occured to me; to visit the kids in one particular quarter of the community. I frequently have sessions with the kids where I taught them Algebra and Vocabulary majorly; and some random facts. It was a recent idea to visit them in their homes on Saturdays.
Therefore, I wheeled in the direction of that section of the island, and walked leisurely until I reached the 'really bad', waterlogged muddy pathway leading into my destination. Here, I folded the cuffs of my trousers, shoving my handkerchief and my phone into my pocket, for I would need my hands free to grasp the branches or limbs of the trees around when I slip (which was quite a norm.)
Luckily, I made it to the other end without needing my hands, except for balancing myself. As I happened upon the first set of kids playing in the breezy weather, they quickly broke up, chanting 'Brother Don! Brother Don!!' which happens to be my name, Donatus. I had to shake everyone of them one after the other, smiling as I inquired how each of them were doing, for the usual 'Fine' response. I was filled with contentment, as they continued their welcome chant, which is quite funny considering for some years, I had ditched 'Donatus' which sounded quite old-school for the fancier 'Louis'.
As the kids already knew I was here for visits, each somehow managed to find space on either of my arms to drag me towards their own houses, imploring as they tugged, for me to come to theirs. Some obstructed the path in front and behind me and I was quite stranded, unable and unwilling to rebuke the convivial children. I finally announced that I'll be visiting 'Victory' first, a petite eight-year old girl that I've taken quite a liking to.
Amidst her whoop of joy as she ran ahead to lead me to her place, the other kids yelled their discontent, some clinging unto my leg when I began to inch towards Victory despite their tugs. This made movement difficult and all my pleas and endearments fell on deaf ears as all 15 families or so milling around me wanted to be the first. Luckily, a man coming unto the clearing ordered them away and dived towards a shrub nearby to pluck a cane. The kids scampered a safe distance away as they continued their playful protests. I thanked the man immensely and went off with Victory to her house.
As we neared the entrance to her house, a rectangular mud building synonymous with this island, I saw a teenage girl washing some baby wears outside the door. I greeted her and was about asking if she was Victory's sister when Victory, pulling me indoors, announced that her mother was inside. "She is with Baby" she whispered as I waved off Victory's sister and proceeded into the house.
When I saw her mother, I was certain I had seen her face before and on more than one occasion. What I was uncertain about is if I had seen her 'pregnant' before because I've been on the island for about four months and the infant she was cuddling couldn't be more than a month old. I greeted her with all smiles as I tried to place our first acquaintance. She already knew, as Victory proudly announced, that I was their teacher.
In pidgin English, We exchanged pleasantries for a while before I told her about Victory's impressive performances in classes.
Me: 'Your daughther performs quite well for her age. I think you must have been monitoring her well'
She: She tries. She's my grand-daughter. Her mother is with her husband in Ughelli.

And with that, I goofed for the first time that day. Trying to divert attention from my error, I made a rather flattering of her young looks for a grandmother in contrast to the sights I'm used to where I come from. Considering the fact that most ladies on the island married early, this shouldn't have shocked me. However, her next information is the reason I decided to share this experience.

She smiled at my flattery and said, 'She's just one of my grandchildren. And Baby is my great-grandchild. His mother is the girl you met outside.'

All I could say was 'Wow' as I digested this information. I guess my facial expression revealed that I wasn't believing that so easily. She probably sensed my disbelief and confusion or just wanted to make conversation but she went on to tell me that she got married aged 14, during which she had her first child, a girl. This girl did one better than her and had her first child at 13. The child, now 15-years old was Mercy, that was washing baby wears just outside. And Baby, currently in Mama's arms (can't help calling her Mama), was Mercy's child. A quick maths put Great-grandma's age at 42 years.
All sorts of lectures to give on abstinence, teenage pregnancy and family planning came to my mind but I offered a lame 'Congratulations' and a number of phrases I can't remember. Besides, for a community where teenage mothers was the norm and where relatives marry relatives amidst really huge smiles, I doubt if an impromptu lecture would hold much water, especially when a veteran woman was observing a quiet 'ancestral bliss' of some sort with her miniature descendant.
I left with a comment about hoping to see Victory at next week's classes, stopping to congratulate Mercy and then continued to my next port of call. All the way, I couldn't shake-off the figure '42' from my mind.

(A personal experience. For confidentiality sake, the name of the town and some details were omitted)

1 Like

Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by McCarlito(m): 7:00am On Sep 23, 2015
Ok seen angry angry angry

Next!!!!!!
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by Tycike: 7:01am On Sep 23, 2015
I will comment when it makes front page.
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by Pidggin(f): 7:03am On Sep 23, 2015
Interesting
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 23, 2015
Na wa!
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by phabulous88(m): 8:34am On Sep 23, 2015
Okauy
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by Noloss(f): 8:36am On Sep 23, 2015
Hmmm, what a life!
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by bukatyne(f): 11:47am On Sep 23, 2015
DesChyko:

(A personal experience. For confidentiality sake, the name of the town and some details were omitted)

What about their husbands?
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by cococandy(f): 2:47pm On Sep 23, 2015
Very interesting.

You write well too.

1 Like

Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by DesChyko: 7:36pm On Sep 23, 2015
bukatyne:

What about their husbands?
Husbands are very much around. Most males are fishermen and aren't usually at home till late.
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by DesChyko: 7:39pm On Sep 23, 2015
phabulous88:
Wonderful! Well like the saying goes, you're a product of your society How about their husbands? Did you find anything about them? I just hope that Corp members are not responsible for putting these naive girls in the family way
Their husbands are around and much older than their spouse in almost all cases. And Corp members really avoid this place.
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 23, 2015
Pllllease space out your writing.

1 Like

Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by bukatyne(f): 9:10pm On Sep 23, 2015
DesChyko:

Husbands are very much around. Most males are fishermen and aren't usually at home till late.

OK then

So it is more of the women marrying extremely early. Do the women possess a trade/work or are they all housewives like the great-grand mother?

And why do the young mothers keep their kids with great-grand mother?
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by DesChyko: 11:02pm On Sep 23, 2015
bukatyne:

OK then

So it is more of the women marrying extremely early. Do the women possess a trade/work or are they all housewives like the great-grand mother?

And why do the young mothers keep their kids with great-grand mother?
All are farmers and traders. They possess very fertile grounds on the island and other islands scattered about. And Mercy being cared for by her grandmother has something to do with inexperience on Mercy's part as regards to childbirth. Victory's could be attributed to having obscene number of siblings more than her parents could cater for, hence the 'distribution' to relatives. There two scenarios are quite common here, in addition to polygamy.
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by DesChyko: 11:04pm On Sep 23, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Pllllease space out your writing.
I wish I had a better understand of how formatting works in Nairaland on mobile devices. So far, that has been a task.
Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 23, 2015
DesChyko:

I wish I had a better understand of how formatting works in Nairaland on mobile devices. So far, that has been a task.
It's alright. Sorry for being negative. Nice write up wink

2 Likes

Re: The 42-year Old Great-grandmother. by Rukkydelta(f): 6:46pm On Sep 24, 2015
Speechless

(1) (Reply)

( Erotic Couplings Stories) Found Out My Babysitter Is A Slut! / Woman Discovers A Blouse In Her Husband's Car, See What Happen / My Advise to Tonto Dike, Married & Unmarried Fellas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.