Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502917 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Gurgle(f): 3:56pm On Aug 24, 2015
Please, can somebody help me translate this

bia Gurgle kpachara anya gi o, agame me gi strong thing ina num,why iji na cast m otua?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 1:42pm On Aug 26, 2015
Gurgle:
Please, can somebody help me translate this

bia Gurgle kpachara anya gi o, agame me gi strong thing ina num,why iji na cast m otua?

Trans: Listen, Gurgle, mind yourself. I'll do something awful to you, are you hearing me? Why are you casting me like this?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 27, 2015
Can someone please translate this grin

biko rapu ihe ede na moto gba moto.
Ika gbasa dia ndia nwetakwa gi iga atokwa dia.
Biko kenerum Chidinma

I only understand biko rapu ihe which means something like leave that/this thing?

cc: odumchi smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 28, 2015
MrsPhyno:

biko rapu ihe ede na moto gba moto.

Should actually be baa moto, rather than gba moto

Translation: Please, leave what is written on the vehicle and get in the vehicle. (It is a contemporary Igbo equivalent of 'Don't judge a book by its cover')

Ika gbasa dia ndia nwetakwa gi iga atokwa dia.

Should actually be Ika pasa dia [there], rather than Ika gbasa dia

Translation: Are you still there? If they get you, you're gonna be stuck there (i.e., they are going to make it hard for you to leave.)

Biko kenerum Chidinma

Please, greet Chidimma for me.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 28, 2015
This is very interesting
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 29, 2015
Just want some clarification o abeg grin

idi - you are
odi - it is
adim - i am

hope these are correct?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:59am On Aug 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Just want some clarification o abeg grin
I di - you are
o di - it is
adi m - i am
hope these are correct?

smiley smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:31pm On Sep 26, 2015
Nde nke anyi ee, ngen ihe bu nwoke na nwanyi igwu "iche na madu bu eghu"? M ma ihe yam okwu pusara, kama o nke bu isi e bu nke edoo m anya.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odensibiri: 8:56am On Oct 01, 2015
I've created an online Igbo dictionary viewable for free at: https://www.scribd.com/doc/281219778/Ikpokwu
The writing there is nsibiri which is the original Igbo writing.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by mynameisdez: 6:36pm On Oct 14, 2015
Does anybody know how to speak Ijaw?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by iPopAlomo(m): 12:56am On Oct 20, 2015
Alake Ojuona in english...
clue... it's an insect..
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nina4u(f): 5:04am On Oct 21, 2015
akpiri na akpo mu nku - my throat is calling me firewood. ... Igbo language seff ooo ... He he he
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nina4u(f): 5:12am On Oct 21, 2015
odumchi:
Nde nke anyi ee, ngen ihe bu nwoke na nwanyi igwu "iche na madu bu eghu"? M ma ihe yam okwu pusara, kama o nke u isi e bu nke edoo m anya.
hahahahahaha ohhh my....Millions of us yes, the gen of the men and women to play "in the Meadow"? But yam i can wash, but the head was detached for me.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 6:20am On Oct 21, 2015
Nina4u:
hahahahahaha ohhh my....Millions of us yes, the gen of the men and women to play "in the Meadow"? But yam i can wash, but the head was detached for me.

Let me guess... Google Translate? grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nina4u(f): 6:31am On Oct 21, 2015
Radoillo:

freakin ibo man ....language na de koko ... I know a little bit but thats a very difficult language ...pidgin and yoruba is much easyer to learn ...think i got pidgin pretty much down .. grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:00pm On Oct 21, 2015
Radoillo:

Dee, I'm guessing you aren't familiar with that expression either, huh? undecided
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 21, 2015
odumchi:

Dee, I'm guessing you aren't familiar with that expression either, huh? undecided

It's an expression I have heard, but I don't know what it means. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 10:52pm On Oct 21, 2015
Radoillo:

It's an expression I have heard, but I don't know what it means. embarassed

Hewu. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 2:41am On Oct 23, 2015
Please what's the Yoruba Name for the Horse hair fly whisk used by Yoruba Kings? grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 7:05am On Oct 23, 2015
Radoillo and ChinenyeN, would you guys happen to know the meaning of the 'Uka' in names like Ukadike and Ukanwoke?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 23, 2015
odumchi:
Radoillo and ChinenyeN, would you guys happen to know the meaning of the 'Uka' in names like Ukadike and Ukanwoke?

Words of a strong man? Deliberation of strong men? grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2015
We have a naming pattern very similar to that, but I can't say I've seen those particular names though. If it's anything like our naming system, then Ukadike and Ukanwoke are likely "talks/words/advice/deliberation is strength" (the power of constructive discourse) and "Talks of a boy" (probably wanted a son and finally getting that desire fulfilled), respectively.

Of course, like I said, I haven't seen those names before. I'm just going off the naming pattern that I'm familiar with, which uses "uka" in a similar manner.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Phut(f): 12:58am On Oct 26, 2015
Nina4u:
akpiri na akpo mu nku - my throat is calling me firewood. ... Igbo language seff ooo ... He he he

grin grin

Igbo is a tonal language. Kpo means to call. Kpo can also mean dry. So akpo can mean, to call. It can also mean: to be dry/dry like

Akpiri = throat
Na = is
Akpo = dry like
Mu = my
Nku = firewood

My throat is dry like firewood

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nina4u(f): 6:58am On Oct 26, 2015
Phut:

grin grin

Igbo is a tonal language. Kpo means to call. Kpo can also mean dry. So akpo can mean, to call. It can also mean: to be dry/dry like

Akpiri = throat
Na = is
Akpo = dry like
Mu = my
Nku = firewood

My throat is dry like firewood
yeah hahahaha meaning im thirsty ...lol i love ibo language but its very dificult ...
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lat55(f): 6:36pm On Oct 26, 2015
Please what does the igbo name Kesandu mean?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Phut(f): 11:09pm On Oct 26, 2015
lat55:
Please what does the igbo name Kesandu mean?

Ke is to Divide/divvy up

Kesam = Divide and leave a portion for me

Ndu = Life

Kesandu is a plea to the giver of life (God) to give you life (and by implication, all the good that comes with it),more abundantly smiley

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
Radoillo:

Words of a strong man? Deliberation of strong men? grin
ChinenyeN:
We have a naming pattern very similar to that, but I can't say I've seen those particular names though. If it's anything like our naming system, then Ukadike and Ukanwoke are likely "talks/words/advice/deliberation is strength" (the power of constructive discourse) and "Talks of a boy" (probably wanted a son and finally getting that desire fulfilled), respectively.

Of course, like I said, I haven't seen those names before. I'm just going off the naming pattern that I'm familiar with, which uses "uka" in a similar manner.

Hmmm. I'm asking because I came across an interpretation of 'uka' which described it as a 'love affair'. Apparently, in whichever dialect this term is from, a romantic relationship between a man and a woman can be described as 'ino na uka' and this term was extended by the early converts to describe the relationship between Christians and their God, hence church service is called 'uka'.

When I initially thought about the meanings of those names, my interpretations were much similar to what you guys said here. But then, as I began to consider other names like Ukaegbu, Ukachukwu, Ukaigwe, Ukamaka, and Ukaiwe, things became a bit fuzzy.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:13am On Oct 27, 2015
Well, this is the first I'm hearing of such. However, if the "uka" in the two earlier names is supposed to stand for "love affair", then the name has nothing to do with our own "uka" naming convention.

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.