Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? (19596 Views)

Nigeria .ng Domains Hit 100,973 / Change Your Blog Domain From ..com To .com Or .net In A Jiffy / Nigerian Sites Now Redirects To .ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by macho44(m): 4:06pm On Sep 28, 2015
The .com domain extension gives you a global coverage, whereas the .ng extension hasn't yet gotten the required projection strength to compete favourably with other notable domain extensions. It all depends on the purpose of your site though!, if your target audience is not globally oriented, then the .ng extension might serve u well, but if the reverse be the case .com is KEY
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by whogohost: 4:28pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:
be careful when searching for domain name on whogohost, as usual Naija people always want to play a fast one on people. i discovered that any time i seach for a nice name on whogohost.com 1 week later someone from their office will grab it before you do. picture below its an evidence of my claim. i searched for a domain name (bingo.com.ng) 3 days later it was taken by one Collins Adetuberu who work in whogohost office.

so guys my advice is, if you are not ready to pay for the domain name under 24hrs don't even think of searching for it in Nigerian domain sellers. eg web4africa or whogohost.

Thank you for your comment. We however do not register domains simply because someone else searched for the domain on our platform. If that were true, we will have to register so many domains every day. What will we do with them all?

The fact that someone else registered a domain name you searched for does not automatically mean there was foul play. If a domain name looks fantastic to you, be sure that it looks fantastic to others too. We do not give anyone data of WHOIS searches and if a domain name is registered, it is because someone else wants it too.

If you have any further concerns about this, we will be glad to address them. You may visit https://www.whogohost.com/contact-us.php to learn how to reach out to us.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by bitterfacts: 5:06pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:
be careful when searching for domain name on whogohost, as usual Naija people always want to play a fast one on people. i discovered that any time i seach for a nice name on whogohost.com 1 week later someone from their office will grab it before you do. picture below its an evidence of my claim. i searched for a domain name (bingo.com.ng) 3 days later it was taken by one Collins Adetuberu who work in whogohost office.

so guys my advice is, if you are not ready to pay for the domain name under 24hrs don't even think of searching for it in Nigerian domain sellers. eg web4africa or whogohost.

@jimi4us You need to get your facts straight before posting shit online. When you need a domain name anywhere in the world,it comes on a 1st come 1st serve basises.This means you search now and make payment immediately ,not search and be waiting...................What are you waiting for if you truly need it?When you do a whois search,this displays the name of the person who registered the domain name and not the name of company staff. Ignorance is not an excuse in 2015.Illiteracy is the watch word for what you have done. The name you have highlited is the name of the registrant.You say nigerian companys can not amount to anything yet you are a nigerian. What have you ever done to impact the nigerian society That is a question i will like an answer to...........
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by InvertedHammer: 6:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
lol... I understand this but I am talking about local business not internationally. Besides, Nigerians who have distinguish themselves are embraced on international arena

/
True.

But there are easier ways of doing things.

Cheaper or not, why limit yourself.
\
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by oluyale(m): 6:25pm On Sep 28, 2015
I'm learning good stuffs here,

Meanwhile I have 2 domains for sale
Penbos.com (inclusive of .net. .org)
Penbos can serves as a web or mobile app for Educational Sector, Human capacity development, career and SME consultings. - ( plus the full brand identity)

Quickito.com (inclusive of .net .org) - see quickito.com - under construction (already with facebook page and twitter handle) - suitable for social media app that targets quick stuffs, info and videos

Price Affordable!
Call me 08145045108 email: fadebowale@nukulture.agency
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 6:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
True.

But there are easier ways of doing things.

Cheaper or not, why limit yourself.
\
bros, I am not limiting myself. I am looking at branding possibilty, the kind that owning a .com cant do at this age and time in terms of owning premium keywords. Also, Nigeria's internet users is expanding at astronomical rates. I believe in owning domains that is short and defines EXACTLY what you do. Owning a .com in this age can't give you that except you are willing to shell out 4-5 figures dollars. Eg: Ring.com, Foods.com, Apps.com, Hotels.com etc

However, it may surprise you to know that I am a STRONG .com domains owner spanning over 100 of them.

I own Debacles, Career Counsel, InstantLecture, Hookup City, Sisters Design, Virgin Center etc and all these, are .com.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Cirphrank(m): 6:58pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
I have scanned the web and only a very few domains are live on .com.ng or .ng.

Why aren't we embracing our own brand of extension like it is obtainable in UK, Australia, South Africa etc?

- .com leads TLD names
- .com is way too cheaper than .ng
- .com.ng lengthens domain name, extend the syllables...
- .com pretty much is well reliable.

So?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by erico2k2(m): 7:36pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
what comes with yours if I may ask? I am talking about .com.ng and not .ng o
well Im talking about .com hosted in England.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by jimi4us: 9:57pm On Sep 28, 2015
whogohost:

Thank you for your comment. We however do not register domains simply because someone else searched for the domain on our platform. If that were true, we will have to register so many domains every day. What will we do with them all?

The fact that someone else registered a domain name you searched for does not automatically mean there was foul play. If a domain name looks fantastic to you, be sure that it looks fantastic to others too. We do not give anyone data of WHOIS searches and if a domain name is registered, it is because someone else wants it too.

If you have any further concerns about this, we will be glad to address them. You may visit https://www.whogohost.com/contact-us.php to learn how to reach out to us.
Are you saying you guys cant see what people are typing from your back-end? It happened 3 times and this particular one got me upset. because it always happen between a short period of one week.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by jimi4us: 10:02pm On Sep 28, 2015
bitterfacts:

@jimi4us You need to get your facts straight before posting shit online. When you need a domain name anywhere in the world,it comes on a 1st come 1st serve[size=20pt] basises[/size].This means you search now and make payment immediately ,not search and be waiting...................What are you waiting for if you truly need it?When you do a whois search,this displays the name of the person who registered the domain name and not the name of company staff. Ignorance is not an excuse in 2015.Illiteracy is the watch word for what you have done. The name you have[size=20pt] highlited[/size] is the name of the registrant.You say nigerian companys can not amount to anything yet you are a nigerian. What have you ever done to impact the nigerian society That is a question i will like an answer to...........
go back to primary school...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by kosovo(m): 10:09pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:
Are you saying you guys cant see what people are typing from your back-end? It happened 3 times and this particular one got me upset. because it always happen between a short period of one week.

It has happened to me also.. Disregard the poo the guy is saying... He has only trying to protect his company from the sophisticated fraud they commit.

Since that day I vowed, never to have anything to do with Nigerian hosts.. These are the crop of people who scream corruption.. Bunch of cheap fraudster...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by ubiquitousade(m): 11:07pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:

i have also learnt this the hard way after loosing two good names. it is not peculiar to whogohost alone, i lost mine to a foreign hosting company early this year. these web hosts can get a log of the searches made and register some they feel have potential resale value and then put it up for sale at a higher fee.

so like you if i have decided not to make any search for a domain name if am not ready to register it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by kolaaderin: 10:06am On Sep 29, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin anything .ng send chilling scam fare down the spine of users around the world as its directly pointing to the scam capital of the world, hence the unwillingness of serious minded people in using it.

once u see .ng, the first impression is scam before thinking of other businesses.
Its SAD but better truth we have to work with to turn things around for the country and our people angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 11:52am On Sep 29, 2015
kosovo:

It has happened to me also.. Disregard the poo the guy is saying... He has only trying to protect his company from the sophisticated fraud they commit.

Since that day I vowed, never to have anything to do with Nigerian hosts.. These are the crop of people who scream corruption.. Bunch of cheap fraudster...
i have been using whois.com to check for events.com.ng since ooo. One day I used web4africa and forgot. Now it's gone!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 11:55am On Sep 29, 2015
kolaaderin:
grin grin grin grin grin grin anything .ng send chilling scam fare down the spine of users around the world as its directly pointing to the scam capital of the world, hence the unwillingness of serious minded people in using it.

once u see .ng, the first impression is scam before thinking of other businesses.
Its SAD but better truth we have to work with to turn things around for the country and our people angry angry angry angry angry angry
Don't be a fool. We dey learn for where chinese and co dey. Do you know that in the US, if you have your credit card with you in your pocket, I can stand closer to you and all your card into will be siphoned? Mumu dey worry you!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 11:58am On Sep 29, 2015
kosovo:

i have hosted with whogohost and I didn't have problem but I don't doubt the possibilty of your claim.

I will advice that if you wish to own a domain name, use whois.com to check or whois.com.ng to check for the availability.

Don't use web4africa or whogohost to check availability--only host there if you wish!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by whogohost: 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2015
jimi4us:

All domains registered with us are registered on a first come, first serve basis. Since the .ng TLD is still new, there are a lot of fantastic names that can be registered. If someone else took a domain you searched for, isn't it possible that someone else also thought of the same name? You can check the details of the registrants of the domains you searched for to confirm that they are simply individuals that purchased a domain that is also relevant for them.

My suggestion is that when you search for a domain with any provider, complete the sale as no name is reserved for anyone till payment is made. If you still have any questions about this, feel free to reach out to us
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by jimi4us: 3:13pm On Sep 29, 2015
whogohost:

All domains registered with us are registered on a first come, first serve basis. Since the .ng TLD is still new, there are a lot of fantastic names that can be registered. If someone else took a domain you searched for, isn't it possible that someone else also thought of the same name? You can check the details of the registrants of the domains you searched for to confirm that they are simply individuals that purchased a domain that is also relevant for them.

My suggestion is that when you search for a domain with any provider, complete the sale as no name is reserved for anyone till payment is made. If you still have any questions about this, feel free to reach out to us
thanks bro, I've learnt my lessons.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by damiloladuke: 3:46pm On Sep 29, 2015
fxbot:
lol brother... How far. Ehen, based on our last fight, I want to share a link with you so you can see what I was saying. Where can I drop it?
AGUNBIADESANYA@GMAIL.COM
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by kosovo(m): 5:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
fxbot:
i have been using whois.com to check for events.com.ng since ooo. One day I used web4africa and forgot. Now it's gone!

It's pathetic.. These Nigerian guys are so dubious...

Sorry for your loss.. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 9:58pm On Oct 01, 2015
kosovo:

It's pathetic.. These Nigerian guys are so dubious...

Sorry for your loss.. undecided
check the address for bingo.com.ng and Events.com.ng, then tell me what you noticed
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by niraworks: 10:21am On Oct 02, 2015
.NG DOMAIN PRICES

NiRA, the Registry for .ng had reviewed the price for the sales of domain names in April 2015 to ensure affordability and competitiveness. NiRA does not sell domain names directly to the end users but sell through NiRA accredited registrars.

Each registrar has its own price model depending on the service rendered. NiRA advises potential .ng buyers to browse through the list of NiRA Accredited Registrar on our website (www.nira.org.ng) to select the registrar that provides relevant services at the most competitive price.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by niraworks: 10:32am On Oct 02, 2015
spikesC:
The management of .ng domains are not as mature and transparent as their foreign counterparts.
Search around the Internet, you'll see a lot of stories. One of them trended on nairaland. A Chinese guy who bought .ng domains and it got 'swallowed'.

And then again, it is unnecessarily costly considering that Nigeria is trying to catch up to the modern world

NiRA pursue integrity and discourage all forms of sharp practices such as registration of domain names in bad faith. Referencing NiRA Domain Name Policy, domain name containing the sole syntax Nigeria such as Nigeria.ng or Nigeria.org.ng must not be bought.
It is a security breach as such for the security and integrity of Nigerians online, the names cannot be owned by individual(s). The Chinese man was duly notified and should not have bought those name (eg Nigeria.ng). This matter was resolved a long-time ago. For more information kindly visit our website www.nira.org.ng
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by niraworks: 10:36am On Oct 02, 2015
DOMAIN NAME LOOKUP AND SEARCH

NiRA provides look-up services for people who would want to search for the availability of a domain name they intend to register (whois). Such information is available at www.whois.com.ng
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 10:37am On Oct 02, 2015
niraworks:

NiRA pursue integrity and discourage all forms of sharp practices such as registration of domain names in bad faith. Referencing NiRA Domain Name Policy, domain name containing the sole syntax Nigeria such as Nigeria.ng or Nigeria.org.ng must not be bought.
It is a security breach as such for the security and integrity of Nigerians online, the names cannot be owned by individual(s). The Chinese man was duly notified and should not have bought those name (eg Nigeria.ng). This matter was resolved a long-time ago. For more information kindly visit our website www.nira.org.ng

so what happened to his Games.com.ng? Was that resolved too? Please spare us the rants.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by niraworks: 10:52am On Oct 02, 2015
We have genuine online businesses in Nigeria and genuine businesses owned by Nigeria’s across the globe. We must encourage and patronize our Nigerian businesses and help them to grow. We need to desist from putting down ourselves and our country Nigeria and look at the good works being down by various individuals and organisations.
When using .ng domain name your domain name is globally recognized and it is guaranteed local and international visibility.
NiRA has foreign Registrars selling .ng domain names. There are benefits even to foreigners as such NiRA has ensured the availability of the .ng domain name to them as well. This has helped promote .ng brand internationally. As such you are implored to browser though our website and list of accredited registrar to get your .ng domain name today

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by krestup: 10:52am On Oct 02, 2015
I believe the reason why some Nigeria's are still sticking to .com is because of that's the most popular TLD in the world and if you read the ebook about blogging or making money online, they instill on .com but the truth about domain TLD is that depends on the kind of website you want to develop. If you want to develop a website / blog that is for a local audience it is better you get the local TLD because it make it easy for your google to see website locally and help in ranking although you still need to do the necessary SEO work. From my research a lot of Nigeria's have started using .com.ng and i also notice that the CTR of organic searches for .com.ng are higher as compare to .com because Nigeria's tend to trust website with .com.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Viktor1983(m): 3:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
niraworks:
.NG DOMAIN PRICES

NiRA, the Registry for .ng had reviewed the price for the sales of domain names in April 2015 to ensure affordability and competitiveness. NiRA does not sell domain names directly to the end users but sell through NiRA accredited registrars.

Each registrar has its own price model depending on the service rendered. NiRA advises potential .ng buyers to browse through the list of NiRA Accredited Registrar on our website (www.nira.org.ng) to select the registrar that provides relevant services at the most competitive price.

Why can't NIRA make .ng N5000? it's a no brainer making it expensive.....
I'd love to have a .ng domain but .com is cheaper .
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by ubiquitousade(m): 4:14pm On Oct 02, 2015
niraworks:
We have genuine online businesses in Nigeria and genuine businesses owned by Nigeria’s across the globe. We must encourage and patronize our Nigerian businesses and help them to grow. We need to desist from putting down ourselves and our country Nigeria and look at the good works being down by various individuals and organisations.
When using .ng domain name your domain name is globally recognized and it is guaranteed local and international visibility.
NiRA has foreign Registrars selling .ng domain names. There are benefits even to foreigners as such NiRA has ensured the availability of the .ng domain name to them as well. This has helped promote .ng brand internationally. As such you are implored to browser though our website and list of accredited registrar to get your .ng domain name today
it is a good thing that you had to register 30th September to defend NIRA but you have failed to provide an answer to the op first question on the first page, the main purpose for creating this thread.

OP/I/Nairalanders/Nigerians wants to know why a. NG domain is not a popular choice for domain registration . could it be the price? are there other factors?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 4:45pm On Oct 02, 2015
ubiquitousade:

it is a good thing that you had to register 30th September to defend NIRA but you have failed to provide an answer to the op first question on the first page, the main purpose for creating this thread.

OP/I/Nairalanders/Nigerians wants to know why a. NG domain is not a popular choice for domain registration . could it be the price? are there other factors?
I don't think it's price, a serious business should be able to pay 15k for a domain if it's premium, after all they pay more than that for other items.

The major reason is because NIRA failed woefully at her duty to sensitize the public. I never knew we had .com.ng existing since 2009. Why? No marketing or advertising in place, aside media reports.

Does NIRA have a facebook handle? Do they have a twitter handle? What's their social presence like on the web? All these is what is needed.

They aren't working so why should they make money? If they think increasing .ng price is the best way to make money then they should fold up ASAP.

I have bought domains in .eu, .de, co.uk, .co which are Ctld yet inexpensive when compared to our brand .ng

However, I am willing to embrace the .ng brand as it gives me chance to get premium domains that I can't have in .com smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by BrainnewsNg(f): 10:09am On Oct 17, 2015
fxbot:
that's non-disputable.
Ok ooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Facebook Approves ₦3.6B Annually For Zuckerberg's Family Security, Bodyguards / Fisayo Fosudo Interviews Arun Maini (MrWhoseTheBoss), UK's Biggest Tech Youtuber / Confused: How Do Bloggers Receive Money From Ads?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.