Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! (34989 Views)

Meet Lanre Udu, Medical Doctor With Two Bachelors, Two Master's Degrees, PHD / Why Every Nigerian Lady Must Learn A Skill. / When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 25, 2015
omoikea:
i wonder why it's the grammatical error you committed in your write up i saw...

well, it's nice and i want to learn programming

It's a law. What you expect to see, that will you see.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by noblenasri(m): 5:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
I'm set to follow the next batch serve starting from next month. I bagged Bsc Chemistry earlier this year but am passionate about journalism and possess remarkable communication skills. So I was wondering if there are any training schools beside the one in Lagos for me to crash while serving. Any one pls?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 25, 2015
laoma15:
This is a very interesting topic and i commend the writer for bringing up this topic.Gone are those days when going to school to acquire a certificate was a guarantee for success. You need a skill set to put money in your pocket and food on your table these days.

I will use my case as a practical illustration. After my secondary school days, I enrolled as an apprentice furniture maker (Carpenter ). I learnt this for three years and went ahead to work with a construction company for about fours years. I later decided to further my education and got admitted to study accounting.

I never lacked money through out my university days on campus because of the skill set I had. There were always jobs for me to do either for my fellow students or at construction sites.

Today, I'm a fellow member (FCA) of the prestigious Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria and have my own flourishing business. I have also completed my Masters Degree and obtained a P.hd degree in United States.

I still have my tools handy by the way! Skill acquisition have a way of increasing ones IQ as well.

I will advise that people should take interest in skill acquisition while still pursuing their dreams in education. It will go a long way in making you a better person and less dependent on people.

Thanks for sharing. Thanks a lot.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 25, 2015
noblenasri:
I'm set to follow the next batch serve starting from next month. I bagged Bsc Chemistry earlier this year but am passionate about journalism and possess remarkable communication skills. So I was wondering if there are any training schools beside the one in Lagos for me to crash while serving. Any one pls?

Your passion is where your wealth and fame is. Pursue it.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by PhunsukhWangdu(m): 5:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
dearpreye:

Hmmmm.. Coming from Ranchoddas Chanchad! LOL!

Thanks for the warm words. I'm seriously working on it.

Politics section...I shall be happy the day I finally stop visiting it. I have some great minds as friends there.

smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 25, 2015
Greatzeus:
You are right if i was to go back in time,i would have learnt tailoring or Electronics,those years i was waitng for admission

The Premise on which getting a degree was for is false and unrealistic, its all about status and ego rather than creating value, graduates look forward to spending 8hrs in a small office doing tasks that even ssce students can do.

None wants to learn craftwork or other real skill, these are unfortunately classified as unskilled jobs by society even though av seen people who learn these skills making more money than graduates, even our polys are fighting to be recognised as degree awarding secondary schools instead of training techicians its a vicious circle, cos very soon our present crop of artisans will be extinct and we shall have to import artisans from neiboring countries to do our chores.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by mykohayz(m): 6:03pm On Sep 25, 2015
Ayo25:
This issue of asking people to learn a skill has been overflogged and is now very boring to hear. Actually a lot of people are now very skilled in doing one thing or the other, and are still not better off. It would interest you to know that many okada and tricycle riders are skilled in one thing or the other. Rather than admit the country is messed up, you are beating about the bush blaming peoples dependance on their degrees.
Ayo25:
This issue of asking people to learn a skill has been overflogged and is now very boring to hear. Actually a lot of people are now very skilled in doing one thing or the other, and are still not better off. It would interest you to know that many okada and tricycle riders are skilled in one thing or the other. Rather than admit the country is messed up, you are beating about the bush blaming peoples dependance on their degrees.
Ayo25:

I beg to disagree with your assertion sir, how well have you done your statistics to have reach such conclusion as you've quoted up there claiming so many people are now very skilled, chunk of our graduates attention is shifted to the hope of getting a well to do job on the average while less attention is been paid to acquisition of skills due to some certain factors, such as the ageing factor, the egoism factor, the get rich quick syndrome and the time factor, etc are the reasons why most graduate might not want to consider such, until the already sharpened teeth of poverty has eaten deep into the fabric of their pockets will such might tickle and trigger their mind on something productive.

To knock you off in the case of the so called olokadas category, most are not found in there field too, due to laziness, as okada is now perceived by people of their class a lucrative business in the city of Lagos, connection problem, lack of independence, stack illiteracy, semi professional, lack of adequate equipment and so on.

Last Bullet,

By his grace I'm a testimony to this looming predicament trending in our society as of now, had my OND, BSC, Masters, a former bank staff or worker(contract) earning stipend which doesn't make ends meet, non sustainable job and considering the fact that its not promising and futuristic, I had to take a bold step to commit my time in learning painting and special effect after my resignation, now I get contracts in multiples and I assemble other professional painters on huge projects, do my supervision with less stress and i get paid for a job weldone.

My brother stop wailing and entertain less excuse, open your mind and reason beyond, this will go a long way, country in mess or no mess, have this in mind, even when it rained, your feet will still be messed up in the mud.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by mykohayz(m): 6:14pm On Sep 25, 2015
dearpreye:
Today, and once again, I'm writing on a very familiar issue. Degrees are outrightly overrated - especially down here in Nigeria.

This system churns out thousands of graduates every single year, and almost all of these graduates have the same mindset of seeking and getting a job somewhere. Whether or not we accept it, the JOB MARKET is overcrowded and government won't give everyone a job. Actually every serious government should be more concerned with creating a supportive and enabling environment than creating jobs for its people.

Every individual has a talent and a passion, and their wealth and fame lies in their vigorous pursuit of those passions and talents.

It's about time everyone begins learning a skill OR start to develop some latent ability within them. There's nothing wrong with adding a skill to your degree. It could be learning plumbing, professional driving, wiring a house, tailoring, selling, carpentry, painting, fashion designing, etc, or it could developing some soft skills like becoming a great communicator, writer, or even becoming a motivational speaker or personal development expert.

I had gone to give a safety briefing to some contractors and other management staff this day. After the briefing, one of the managers approached me, appreciated the manner of the talk and asked, " are you a motivational speaker?". Of course I sad NO. And she enthused I would make a good speaker if I could put my heart into it.

I laughed away the talk, but the speech replayed later in my mind as I was preparing to retire to bed in the evening. I Googled on the topic and started to read almost all the materials that came up. That was how I started on the journey to personal development and motivational speaking.

Last week, I went to give a give a talk to some youths. Although I refused to take a dime but I left there very fulfilled and I know I'm on my way to adding another skill to my skill pool. In this era, there's no limit to the skills we can acquire.

At the moment, an old man is fixing some plumbing works for me. As we talked, he told me how he's been looking for youths to assist in learning that skill, but none has shown any interest.

As an undergraduate, you can still make plans towards learning a skill while on campus. Skill is the way forward. No great nation ever took skill development for granted. It's time to learn a skill. Any skill can be a temporal source of income. Men are losing their jobs; competition is fiercer now than ever. Even if you're seeking to be the best in your chosen field, you can still add a skill. Any skill.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day.

Lalasticalala, good morning.
[b]
dearpreye:
Today, and once again, I'm writing on a very familiar issue. Degrees are outrightly overrated - especially down here in Nigeria.

This system churns out thousands of graduates every single year, and almost all of these graduates have the same mindset of seeking and getting a job somewhere. Whether or not we accept it, the JOB MARKET is overcrowded and government won't give everyone a job. Actually every serious government should be more concerned with creating a supportive and enabling environment than creating jobs for its people.

Every individual has a talent and a passion, and their wealth and fame lies in their vigorous pursuit of those passions and talents.

It's about time everyone begins learning a skill OR start to develop some latent ability within them. There's nothing wrong with adding a skill to your degree. It could be learning plumbing, professional driving, wiring a house, tailoring, selling, carpentry, painting, fashion designing, etc, or it could developing some soft skills like becoming a great communicator, writer, or even becoming a motivational speaker or personal development expert.

I had gone to give a safety briefing to some contractors and other management staff this day. After the briefing, one of the managers approached me, appreciated the manner of the talk and asked, " are you a motivational speaker?". Of course I sad NO. And she enthused I would make a good speaker if I could put my heart into it.

I laughed away the talk, but the speech replayed later in my mind as I was preparing to retire to bed in the evening. I Googled on the topic and started to read almost all the materials that came up. That was how I started on the journey to personal development and motivational speaking.

Last week, I went to give a give a talk to some youths. Although I refused to take a dime but I left there very fulfilled and I know I'm on my way to adding another skill to my skill pool. In this era, there's no limit to the skills we can acquire.

At the moment, an old man is fixing some plumbing works for me. As we talked, he told me how he's been looking for youths to assist in learning that skill, but none has shown any interest.

As an undergraduate, you can still make plans towards learning a skill while on campus. Skill is the way forward. No great nation ever took skill development for granted. It's time to learn a skill. Any skill can be a temporal source of income. Men are losing their jobs; competition is fiercer now than ever. Even if you're seeking to be the best in your chosen field, you can still add a skill. Any skill.

[/b]
dearpreye:

well said bro, more grease.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Chukzyfcb(m): 6:15pm On Sep 25, 2015
illitrate:
I am an illiterate with only secondary school cert. I work in dubai as an IT support assistant
with a salary of 12k dhs montly. over a million naira monthly. Get skilled.

Skills+ God's grace = PhD, MBBS, OND ETC.
To star with u are not an Illiterate because you have an SSCE certificate. Meanwhile 12,000 dirham is roughly 600-720,000naira. Its not upto a million naira! #be factual bro
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 25, 2015
mykohayz:
[b][/b]

well said bro, more grease.

Thanks, dear.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Ayo25: 6:35pm On Sep 25, 2015
mykohayz:
[b][/b]

I beg to disagree with your assertion sir, how well have you done your statistics to have reach such conclusion as you've quoted up there claiming so many people are now very skilled, chunk of our graduates attention is shifted to the hope of getting a well to do job on the average while less attention is been paid to acquisition of skills due to some certain factors, such as the ageing factor, the egoism factor, the get rich quick syndrome and the time factor, etc are the reasons why most graduate might not want to consider such, until the already sharpened teeth of poverty has eaten deep into the fabric of their pockets will such might tickle and trigger their mind on something productive.

To knock you off in the case of the so called olokadas category, most are not found in there field too, due to laziness, as okada is now perceived by people of their class a lucrative business in the city of Lagos, connection problem, lack of independence, stack illiteracy, semi professional, lack of adequate equipment and so on.

Last Bullet,

By his grace I'm a testimony to this looming predicament trending in our society as of now, had my OND, BSC, Masters, a former bank staff or worker(contract) earning stipend which doesn't make ends meet, non sustainable job and considering the fact that its not promising and futuristic, I had to take a bold step to commit my time in learning painting and special effect after my resignation, now I get contracts in multiples and I assemble other professional painters on huge projects, do my supervision with less stress and i get paid for a job weldone.

My brother stop wailing and entertain less excuse, open your mind and reason beyond, this will go a long way, country in mess or no mess, have this in mind, even when it rained, your feet will still be messed up in the mud.
You do not have to type this long epistle just because you disagree with me because actually you do not have to agree with me. You should keep calling people who are not as opportuned as you names and insulting them just because of the passing success you have had. I still want to reiterate and have no apology that skill acquisition is not the way out of poverty in this country, it only creates an aura of pomposity and terrible pride in the minority few who have acheive little success of it, of which you are a good example. I have no reason to wail because I am comfortable but I am not fooled by the dummy the govt have sold to people like you. Whatever a person has elected to do he should get the opportunity to do it. That is the hallmark of a just, fair and egalitarian society. Peace

1 Like

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by thesource(m): 6:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
mykohayz:
[b][/b]

Last Bullet,

than you for sharing this bro. Pls, where can i learn painting and special effect? I'm so interested in that.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by thesource(m): 6:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
mykohayz:
[b][/b]

Last Bullet,

thank you for sharing this bro. Pls, where can i learn painting and special effect? I'm so interested in it.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by tommyrayrich(m): 6:45pm On Sep 25, 2015
Only losers and suckers hold on to degrees... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by bid4rich(m): 6:56pm On Sep 25, 2015
To read more on ''your degree is no longer enough'' please visit www.imlpnigeria.org
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Greatzeus(m): 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2015
kaeforum:

The Premise on which getting a degree was for is false and unrealistic, its all about status and ego rather than creating value, graduates look forward to spending 8hrs in a small office doing tasks that even ssce students can do.

None wants to learn craftwork or other real skill, these are unfortunately classified as unskilled jobs by society even though av seen people who learn these skills making more money than graduates, even our polys are fighting to be recognised as degree awarding secondary schools instead of training techicians its a vicious circle, cos very soon our present crop of artisans will be extinct and we shall have to import artisans from neiboring countries to do our chores.
Do you know that i have a relative who read Elect/Elect at futa,he is currently a contractor to some banks,helping them with UPS.Inverter Installation,Inverter battery sales,one of those that taught him the trade didnt even have a decree,he was one of those who started the business early and made fortune,to the extent he bought a personal car for this my relative,to appreciate his hardwork.Unfortunately if you tell some admission seeker to learn trade they will reject it,they just want to go to university,until they waste years and even after graduation,they will know whats up.
i remember when i was an undergraduate a lecturer who just came back from london where he did his Phd,said he has to learn barbing over there so as to barber for his kids,he said ordinary barbing over cost a lot when converted to naira,imagine

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by valasmedia(m): 7:14pm On Sep 25, 2015
[quote author=dearpreye post=38361123]Today, and once again, I'm writing on a very familiar issue. Degrees are outrightly overrated - especially down here in Nigeria.

Lalasticalal....nice write up bro, good to have you here...how can I have your dial, we gat some issues to dig out...
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by valasmedia(m): 7:57pm On Sep 25, 2015
dearpreye:

in case you saw not my previous Post, I like your write up I tink we have some things to say to each other...ping or whatapp me bro...08033457179, 53335234.....or beta still send me me urs, so the journey can start from there...once again this is fabulous

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by dimillion(m): 7:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
right from my first year in d university, I hv taught of this. white collar job is over-hyped, considering humiliating disposition from most of this employers... Op thanks for the enlightenment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by zanga420: 8:09pm On Sep 25, 2015
Dayvhid:
I tried learning a skill, been there for a year and half and then my boss starts been tribalistic and any little mistake you would here him say "omo Igbo" I actually took a go at him and told him I don't like been called that way which he took personal, since then any slight mistake he wants to chase me away which he has finally done, tried hitting me and I blocked myself from his angry blows, which made him tag me as disrespectful, I told my mum she went to confront him and he said the same disrespect issh stuffs and he would only accept me if I come prostrate b4 him. I am really confused right now and don't know what to do the only thing am certain of is that tribe also matters and ma Yoruba bros pls translate "omo Igbo o kin ni aseyori" don't know if I spelled it correctly. thanks in advance.
hey, go n apologise to him, some bigots are like that. What matters is when u calm down n acquire the skills that took u there. There's no place u go, u wont witness those steorotypes. U can even witness that among ur fellow igbo ppl, where they might say 'u this imo boy, anambra boy or so. That ur oga can aswell say it to a fellow yoruba like 'u this ijebu or ekiti boy' etc. See it as a phase in ur life that'll soon be over. Make peace with him n complete ur skill acquisition. Tnx

1 Like

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 25, 2015
valasmedia:
in case you saw not my previous Post, I like your write up I tink we have some things to say to each other...ping or whatapp me bro...08033457179, 53335234.....or beta still send me me urs, so the journey can start from there...once again this is fabulous

OK sir. I'll respond ASAP. Thanks for the kind words.

Are you on BBM?
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by zinosleek(m): 8:40pm On Sep 25, 2015
Interested in forex, check out my signature
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by shilehcash(f): 9:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
Dats true, because it really helpin me financially now in school. kiss.proud to b a fashion designer cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by ModiKen(m): 9:31pm On Sep 25, 2015
Nationalist1:
This is very true. Whilst your degree may help you to see the way to becoming a better person, your skill development is what actually makes you to be on top of those who brandish certificates without self-development which is otherwise called skill.

A thousand blessing on u for this comment.

I always tell people that the main purpose of education is to broaden you understanding of how the world works and to make you a better person but its your skill that stands you in the midst of the crowd.

1 Like

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by gmacnoms(m): 9:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
Lovexme:

I'm in Lagos.
i'll get u some numbers. I'll let dem know i'm referrin som1. One of dem is a very Yung lad, but he sits so many men on d sticks.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by valasmedia(m): 9:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
dearpreye:

OK sir. I'll respond ASAP. Thanks for the kind words.
Are you on BBM?
yea....that is my pin beside my phone number..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 25, 2015
valasmedia:
yea....that is my pin beside my phone number..

Will add immediately. Thanks.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by mykohayz(m): 10:49pm On Sep 25, 2015
Ayo25:
You do not have to type this long epistle just because you disagree with me because actually you do not have to agree with me. You should keep calling people who are not as opportuned as you names and insulting them just because of the passing success you have had. I still want to reiterate and have no apology that skill acquisition is not the way out of poverty in this country, it only creates an aura of pomposity and terrible pride in the minority few who have acheive little success of it, of which you are a good example. I have no reason to wail because I am comfortable but I am not fooled by the dummy the govt have sold to people like you. Whatever a person has elected to do he should get the opportunity to do it. That is the hallmark of a just, fair and egalitarian society. Peace

To start with, sorry for the epistle, but i want to believe what i wrote up there is comprehensive enough for better understanding to anyone reading, instead you chose to mix things up in here, but I'll not mince words with you as you reserve the right to your opinion.

However, i never resorted to insulting anyone nor do i tried bluffing or showing off like one kinda Almighty bout my success, truth be told rolling up my clean sleeves to get dirty ain't opportunity but my very hard choice to make, pls do not try to twist in misconception while trying to make a point.

BTW, I wasn't fooled by any govt or whatsoever, I'm just all on my own, I do not care bout any govt so far food comes to the table. pls do have a good evening sir.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by mykohayz(m): 11:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
thesource:
thank you for sharing this bro. Pls, where can i learn painting and special effect? I'm so interested in it.

Thanks for showing interest bro, its so simple, just look around your vicinity for a professional artisan (not the local ones) in that field who deals mainly on paint production, have a minimum of 6month training or more. paint application and special effect will be an added advantage in terms of securing a contract, that's where you apply your formal education, link up and plan your way through. meet you at the top, good evening.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by thesource(m): 11:33pm On Sep 25, 2015
mykohayz:

Thanks for showing interest bro, its so simple, just look around your vicinity for a professional artisan (not the local ones) in that field who deals mainly on paint production, have a minimum of 6month training or more. paint application and special effect will be an added advantage in terms of securing a contract, that's where you apply your formal education, link up and plan your way through. meet you at the top, good evening.
Thanks
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by lesnere18: 11:36pm On Sep 25, 2015
I just came across a business that has huge potential. It's absolutely free, offers everything you can think of... You earn not only for what we already do, but from an array of legal and financial services that pay you up to $1,500 and more per sale. It's simple and totally free! For anyone looking for a simple way to earn online without investment, this could be it! mail me @ obi.peter30@yahoo.com to get the link and get started.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / 10 Types Of Occupations That Make The Most Money This Season. / Meet Pearlena Igbokwe Who Was Appointed Chairman Of Universal Studio Group In US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.