Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,364 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp (37753 Views)

CCT: Saraki’s Camp In Disarray As Senators Seek End To Crises / PHOTO - Who Was This Senator Reporting To Buhari In Saraki's Presence? / Fear In Saraki’s Camp As Dino Melaye, Other Senators Keep Silent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by emerged01(m): 6:33am On Sep 27, 2015
The clock is gradually ticking against the embattled president of the Senate, Bukola Saraki as some of his loyalists cutting across the ruling All Progressives Congress and the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have begun withdrawing their support for him for the fear of being perceived by the public as advocates of lawlessness and impunity.

It was also learnt that the senators are also of the view that as distinguished lawmakers elected to represent their senatorial districts, their integrity, national interest and strict adherence to the provisions of the statue books must be paramount and above any personal interest.

It would be recalled that Saraki is currently facing charges of false declaration of assets amongst other charges and was docked by the Code of Conduct Tribunal, becoming the first sitting presiding officer in the history of the National Assembly to stand trial by a competent court.

All former presiding officers of the National Assembly, who were faced with similar charges, first resigned their positions in order to protect the integrity and sanctity of the highest lawmaking body in the country, and biggest in Africa.

LEADERSHIP Sunday gathered that the ranks of the ‘Like Minds Senators’, a group of senators that worked for the emergence of Saraki as President of Senate, has come falling naturally, a fall anchored on the need to defend and protect their individual names as well as the institution of National Assembly, “not the interest of Saraki or any other individual”, our source declared.

Our source, an APC member and Senator from one of the North Central state, who preferred anonymity, in view of the critical role he played in Saraki’s emergence, told LEADERSHIP Sunday that, “I am personally not surprised at what is happening because I knew that Saraki will have problems but I was not expecting it soon. Secondly, I did not honestly look in the direction of any cases of alleged corruption when I was supporting him.

“My fear was how he will manage his colleagues because of his seeming and perceived arrogance, because I remember that the President did say he will work with anybody, provided the person is not corrupt. So I became involved in his project because I believed he could use his experience and complement the president, particularly in the fight against corruption. But seriously, I am ashamed of myself to see these charges, yes it is an allegation but you can see that they are solid and appear true as far as a layman can see. And then his efforts to stop that process were just admittance of guilt as far as I’m concerned.”

Continuing, the Senator said, “I don’t see myself being viewed on national television defending that kind of thing. What will my constituents think about me? I cannot do that so I believe he should just step aside and clear his name, which is the most honourable thing to do. You journalists have put the matter out in the public and the public reaction is not favourable and if we are not careful, we will be overwhelmed by the public and further lose respect in the eyes of the public.

“I’m not alone, many will back out and many have spoken to me about their displeasure. Maybe we should support Senator George Akume or Barnabas Gemade for the position. Gemade for instance is a perfect choice if you ask me.”

On the possibility of the emergence of a Senate president from the PDP, the source said, “that cannot happen, it is not possible. This time, you will see that we have a president who will be interested and will be right, it was because he refused to intervene that it led to emergence of Saraki and even Ekweremadu. That will not happen again I assure you. PDP senators cannot emerge Senate President, no way,” he said.

Meanwhile, following the arraignment of Saraki before the CCT last week, Senators elected on the platform of the opposition PDP appear to have perfected plans to replace him with one of their own in case of his eventual removal from office.

An impeccable source within the PDP last night confided in LEADERSHIP Sunday that the permutation of the PDP lawmakers is that if the governing APC of which Saraki is a member, uses the court or other means to remove him, the PDP should reach out to the Senate President’s core supporters in the APC, who are already endangered and aggrieved with the way and manner Saraki was last week humiliated by being dragged to the tribunal without previous invitation.

He stated that if this is achieved, the PDP will then try to get the needed number to make the balance and present either former Senate President David Mark or the incumbent Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, as new Senate President.

Indications at the weekend revealed that PDP senators have also realised that they need to stay together as a united team to be able to assert themselves and get what they need, hence their recent meetings in different parts of Abuja to be able to present a common front when the need arises.

The source added that “one of the problems Buhari and others have with Saraki is the emergence of Ekweremadu as Deputy Senate President and that if Saraki is removed, the APC will not be satisfied until Ekweremadu is also removed. So, if it is David Mark that emerges, the job is easier. He is still respected among ranking Senators.”

Meanwhile, it was gathered that President Muhammadu Buhari in his ongoing visit to New York for the UN General Assembly got the clear impression that the international community is not seeing Saraki’s trial as an anti-corruption issue.

A US diplomat was said to have told members of the Nigerian delegation that the US respects separation of powers as an inherent part of its presidential system of government and that politicizing the campaign against corruption will not help Nigeria.

http://www.leadership.ng/news/463449/cct-trial-fresh-cracks-in-sarakis-camp

4 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by ladyF(f): 6:35am On Sep 27, 2015
In saner countries, almost everyone will have demanded his resignation pending if/when the accusations are cleared. We can't claim to be fighting corruption so aggressively and the no. 3 man in the country is an accused thief...but what do I know...

I don put my pishure....lol check my profile for details grin grin grin

88 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Firefire(m): 6:40am On Sep 27, 2015
Balance of power required.

Firefire:
Interesting country...

I support the take-over of the Senate Presidency by PDP rather than for a puppet to be install by APC and her managers.

This would allow for necessary balance of power, and Nigerians would be the judge.

Installing Tinubu's puppet would do Nigerians more evil than good. A Case study of the puppet he installed in Lagos to checkmate the governor of the state. (Ikuforiji vs Fashola in the case of True Face of Lagos. Allegations and counter allegations)

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 27, 2015
sad
Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by omowolewa: 6:42am On Sep 27, 2015
I told you CCT has completed his own side of the conspiracy theory, except they want more than the senate presidency from Saraki.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by alrahmanonline(m): 6:42am On Sep 27, 2015
I'm always suprise When people shout witch hunting, mind you, no witch is good for the society, so therefore let's continue hunting them.
#ISUPPORTWITCHHUNTING.

120 Likes 12 Shares

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Nobody: 6:47am On Sep 27, 2015
Shebi tommorow is almost here with us!! Lets see which of the propagandas flying around has an element of truth in it!! BTW the APC alone cannot remove the SP from office even if 100% of them including Saraki wote for the impeachment

18 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 27, 2015
ladyF:
In saner countries, almost everyone will have demanded his resignation pending if/when the accusations are cleared. We can't claim to be fighting corruption so aggressively and the no. 3 man in the country is an accused thief...but what do I know...

Is Buhari not also facing allegations of certificate fraud? Why are you not also calling for his resignation?

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Chanchit: 6:49am On Sep 27, 2015
Any sensible senator would know its time to swerve from Saraki, cos seeing you too much with him now is enough reason to lose the next election even if the person is not charged.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Chanchit: 6:50am On Sep 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

Is Buhari not also facing allegations of certificate fraud? Why are you not also calling for his resignation?

Guy! Abeg park well, this na sunday morning jare.

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Nobody: 6:51am On Sep 27, 2015
Chanchit:

Guy! Abeg park well, this na sunday morning jare.

Bloody hypocrite!!! Shame on you all.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by ladyF(f): 6:51am On Sep 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

The same NTA that said he doesn't have certificate did his biography after elections. Who are we deceiving?

Fashola has been allegedly excluded from the ministerial list because of contract inflation and other allegations.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by egift(m): 6:51am On Sep 27, 2015
Any one joining Pa Chukwudi in protecting the criminality of Saraki is an Enemy of the State

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by RockMaxi: 6:52am On Sep 27, 2015
The Senate President with a moral burden yet someone is talking about APC not having the number to remove him.

31 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by biafransoul: 6:53am On Sep 27, 2015
Another concocted story by Leadership newspaper. May God deliver us from these people's propaganda.

10 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by heykims(m): 6:53am On Sep 27, 2015
Politics is a game, let's wait nd see who emerges the victor.. checkmate..
Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Chanchit: 6:53am On Sep 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

Bloody hypocrite!!! Shame on you all.

Cry me a river. I thought you said Saraki would escape this trial? Wail all you like, you are gonna die with him.#Abobaku.

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by WHOcarex: 6:54am On Sep 27, 2015
undecided
Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by egift(m): 6:55am On Sep 27, 2015
Nigerians cannot allow our Laws to be made from the docks. The Institution is more important than the greedy quest of Saraki. Yesterday in the US, Speaker John Boehner announced he will step down to avoid 'irreparable harm' to Congress. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/25/john-boehner-resigns-house-speaker/72793398/

So why should Saraki cling on to Power if his decision will soil the name of the Nigerian Senate?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by emerged01(m): 7:00am On Sep 27, 2015
nothing like witch hunting to me,they must all ready to go down one by one. If it is Sarak's today,tomorrow will be another's turn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by bugzbunny: 7:01am On Sep 27, 2015
alrahmanonline:
I'm always suprise When people shout witch hunting, mind you, no witch is good for the society, so therefore let's continue hunting them.
#ISUPPORTWITCHHUNTING.
Gbam.....
Be it APC or PDP
They are all the same
I wonder hw much saraki gave to pa chukwudi

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by egift(m): 7:05am On Sep 27, 2015
emerged01:
nothing like witch hunting to me,they must already to go down one by one. If it is Sarak's today,tomorrow will be another's turn.

The law supports "hunting" down of a "witch" if there is a factual and convincing evidence that the said "witch" being "hunted" is responsible for the "blood-sucking" he is accused of.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by citizenY(m): 7:07am On Sep 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

In which court?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 27, 2015
egift:

The law supports "hunting" down of a "witch" if there is a factual and convincing evidence that the said "witch" being "hunted" is responsible for the "blood-sucking" he is accused of.
Bros you will do better using your time in securing signatures than ranting here on Nairaland

2 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Aufbauh(m): 7:08am On Sep 27, 2015
I know when the chips are down everyone will run to his/her abode and the fowl will go to roast.
To your tent oh Israel, to thy bed space oh Saraki
Let it be noted that no APC Northern senator will probably offers his neck for Saraki as they are conversant with what brought them to power. Any attempt to queue behind Saraki will not only be seen as a witch hunt but will also experience stone hunt and definitely loss of popularity/return ticket.
Let them take clue from Gov. Lamido of jigawa, Nuhu Ribadu of Adamawa, Yuguda of bauchi and their likes for supporting the clueless and inept administration, they were all retired from politics inspite of their presumed performance & credibility.

25 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by citizenY(m): 7:08am On Sep 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

In which court?

23 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 27, 2015
Chanchit:

Cry me a river. I thought you said Saraki would escape this trial? Wail all you like, you are gonna die with him.#Abobaku.
Is Saraki already down? Has he fallen? If ever Saraki is going to be removed, it would be through impeachment and not any stupid CCT trial

3 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by fkaz(m): 7:12am On Sep 27, 2015
But seriously, I am ashamed of myself to see these charges, yes it is an allegation but you can see that they are solid and appear true as far as a layman can see. And then his efforts to stop that process were just admittance of guilt as far as I’m concerned.” Continuing, the Senator said, “I don’t see myself being viewed on national television defending that kind of thing. What will my constituents think about me? I cannot do that so I believe he should just step aside and clear his name, which is the most honourable thing to do.

grin The LEADERSHIP source might be Senator Dino Melayi, don't be surprise to see Dino move impeachment notice against saraki on tuesday, Dino na real AGIP

20 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Chanchit: 7:13am On Sep 27, 2015
chukwudi44:

Is Saraki already down? Has he fallen? If ever Saraki is going to be removed, it would be through impeachment and not any stupid CCT trial

If he likes he should be removed by death, the bottom line is that he's definitely a goner.

19 Likes

Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by Nobody: 7:14am On Sep 27, 2015
Chanchit:

If he likes he should be removed by death, the bottom line is that he's definitely a goner.
Until then!!
Re: CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp by cyberguy72(m): 7:15am On Sep 27, 2015
ladyF:

The same NTA that said he doesn't have certificate did his biography after elections. Who are we deceiving?

Fashola has been allegedly excluded from the ministerial list because of contract inflation and other allegations.
Wot of Amaechi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oshiomhole: Governors Divided As El-rufai, Ganduje, Battle Akeredolu, Bello, Oba / APC & Tinubu Have Less Than 16 Days To Respond To Obi's Petition / Abba Kyari Overrides Buhari’s Decisions, 5 Other Takeaways From Monguno’s Memo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.