Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,603 members, 7,827,266 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking (1003 Views)

8 Funny Steps Some Nigerians Still Use To Lock Their Cars / Car Door Key Tampered With Tech Says Change Central Lock / How To Break Into Your Car When You Mistakenly Lock Your Key In The Car (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by deathwing(m): 7:42am On Sep 27, 2015
Good morning o mighty digital denizens of NL Car Section

I recently fixed speakers onto my 1997 Tokunbo 1.6 Golf 3, and it involved removing all the door panels on the four doors.
It wasn't until i got home from the mechanic's that I discovered my central lock had stopped working. Anytime I lock or open the driver's door(either with key or by pulling that knob), the driver's side, the pump can be heard buzzing loudly at the back for about a minute, but the other doors won't lock/open automatically.

I almost got robbed in traffic last week angry angrybut thankfully, the robbers tried to open the only door at the back that i had remembered to lock manually.

I was thinking this would be an easy fix, since the pump is obviously still working. Could it be just a matter of connecting wires?
Is it something I can do myself from, perhaps, the driver-side door?

Havn't done a DIY before, but I'm not averse to trying. At the very least, I can remove the door panels. undecided undecided

Thanks!
Re: Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by Ricmayak1: 10:42am On Sep 27, 2015
you may have broken one of the vacuum pipes.
Re: Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 27, 2015
Check the vacuum pipes, paying particular attention to where they pass through the door rubber grommets, into the car (hinge area). Also chech where the vacuum pipes physically attach to the door actuators (lock mechanism inside the doors).
Re: Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by deathwing(m): 1:43pm On Sep 27, 2015
Siena:
Check the vacuum pipes, paying particular attention to where they pass through the door rubber grommets, into the car (hinge area). Also chech where the vacuum pipes physically attach to the door actuators (lock mechanism inside the doors).

I just came in from checking the car to see Sienas comment. I found that the thing which you called grommel (I have been googling since looking for the name) is unhinged on both sides of the door. The air has been escaping from there. I can patently hear the hiss.

I cannot, for the love of God, figure out how to connect the two sides together. It looks easy until you try to do it. Been battling for about an hour.

I am thinking I mah have to remove the cover of the car pillars to get at the thing easily. Jeez. Been sweating since.

One of the grommel thingy (not the one on the door) is always shaking. I'm hoping that's not how it was designed. That way, it's almost impossible to fit anything it because it always moves back into the car whenever it feels pressure

Re: Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by deathwing(m): 1:47pm On Sep 27, 2015
Also, the wires you see there were fixed by the mechanic because we discovered the floor wasn't provisioned for rear speakers. I had already bought them, so I just asked him to go ahead and fix them. I won't mind ripping the damn things off if they are the culprits preventing the hinges from latching.
Re: Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by deathwing(m): 3:59pm On Sep 27, 2015
I have rremoved the wires. Still very difficult to fit.
Re: Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by DECOtech(m): 5:29pm On Sep 27, 2015
deathwing:
I have rremoved the wires. Still very difficult to fit.

Its your car. don't be afraid to take things apart. remove whatever it is that's in your way and do what you have to do.

Mind you, take note of the original position of whatever your are losing.
Re: Golf 3 Central Lock Pump Running But Not Locking by deathwing(m): 9:08pm On Sep 27, 2015
Fixed! grin grin Central lock now working. My hands are very sore. I had to fix it all over for three of the doors.

Each time I managed to get one harness sealed, the air would begin to escape from another. It was a good learning experience though.

Now my central lock is popping like normal. Goodbye to getting robbed in traffic while i sit powerless at the wheel.

Thanks everyone!My car is once again the apple of my eyes cheesy grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Owning A Ferrari In Nigeria Is Not A Good Idea / Repainting Of Car / Please Help Me To Understand My Car Fuel Consumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.