Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along (28168 Views)

How Saraki And Friends Will Plunge Nigeria Into Its Next Recession / Seven Of Buhari's Actions That Led Nigeria Into Recession / SPOTLIGHT: Meet Those Who Shape Africa’s Most Formidable Company, Heirs Holdings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by midolian(m): 7:14pm On Sep 28, 2015
“If Nigeria moves, then Africa moves. If not, then we must wait”. True? Seems like it.
[img]http://cdn.mg.co.za/crop/content/images/2014/11/12/katsinadurbar_square.jpg/300x300/[/img]
The Katsina Durbar, a parade of the Emir and his entourage on horseback that draws visitors from miles around. Nigeria is on the move, and Nigeria moves Africa. (Photo/File).

“IF Nigeria moves, then Africa moves. If not, then we must wait.”

I don’t remember where I first read that, but as a Kenyan I could never find a good reason to agree with it. That’s until I begun to interact closely with Nigeria. Over the past two years I have been a part of the Vecna Cares team that is working on designing and implementing an electronic health records tech tool for low resource settings in several Nigerian states.

I am just concluding my second trip to Nigeria in two years. The first time out, I spent all my time in Abuja and the outskirts of the FCT (Federal Capital Territory). This second time, I swam in the belly of the monster, venturing to some of the smaller rural towns of Ondo State, and then wound up my trip in Lekki area of Lagos. 

I have changed my stance. There’s no doubt in my mind that Nigeria moves Africa.

This is a huge country. The number that I was operating on when I first arrived was 140 million people strong. But having spoken to a few people here and seen it for myself, I dare say that we should be pegging that number at about 190 million if not 200 million. One of the most mind-boggling statistics that I heard is that Nigeria now has 120 million active cell phone users.

I am here shortly after an election that saw a former military dictator win by a landslide. Think about that for a minute. Where else in the world would such a sentence be written, read out aloud and make sense? 

It is said that during President Buhari’s first stint as leader of Nigeria, back in the 80s, Lagos was a hub for drug trafficking. Upon his assumption of command he decreed that drug trafficking would from then on be a capital offence. 

Then he backdated the law and declared that all those that were in jail having been convicted for it would now be executed. Nigerians watched the public executions one after the other in utter shock. Needless to say the drug trade ground to a screeching halt, or so the story goes.

His was a no-nonsense regime, they say. He did not tolerate theft. He threw people in jail for mere suspicion of theft.  When he left the throne, the weeds soon returned.

Sheriff back in town

Fast forward to 2015 and the sheriff is back in town.

It’s now September 2015, only months since President Buhari took over. The national electricity utility, the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), which was never known to supply electricity for more than 2-3 hours a day is now consistently powering the cities for 20+ hours.

Port Harcourt petroleum refinery that had not refined even a litre of petrol over the last 15 years is now pumping hard, and Warri and other refineries are about to come back online. “To the best of my knowledge,” my host says, “there’s been no extra funding, technical assistance, or anything new given. This is happening because of the fear of Buhari.”

The fear of Buhari. What a wonderful phrase. Who would’ve thought that a president who wins a landslide election victory would be termed as being fearsome.

Still, I cannot find anything to disagree with this view. President Buhari has not even named his cabinet and all these things are happening. The terror group Boko Haram which was advancing southwestwards into the country is now said to be just months, maybe weeks, from being snuffed out. How is it that Nigeria is now winning a war that it was steadily losing for almost five years?

As I write this, the sitting Nigerian Senate President, a key member of the President’s party and one of Nigeria’s most powerful men, is facing trial for false declaration of assets. His trial is being broadcast live all over the country. No matter the outcome of this process, the message is that there are no sacred cows in Nigeria.

Waiting for Buhari

Since their election, none of the state governors have named their cabinets either. They are all waiting for President Buhari to set the tone, and then they will align. It is expected that some of the best performing governors who couldn’t stand for election by a two-term limit rule are competing to be in President Buhari’s cabinet. 

I never thought I would write such a thing when I came here. That governors in Nigeria would be angling for a cabinet position using their excellent past performance as credentials, in order to get to do even more transformative things on the national stage. Confusing, I know, in a continent where people just do a smash-and-grab on power.

“A governor in his state is more powerful than the President of Nigeria in the whole of Nigeria,” declares my host. So why would a person with near absolute authority feel the need to compete at all? It’s a sign of an emerging meritocracy, which the cynics had long-said was impossible in Nigeria.

Times have changed here. Nigeria has managed over the past few years to create a demand for more accountability, more thinking, more prosperity. It’s why the former president Goodluck Jonathan had no chance in his re-election bid. He has sunk into mediocrity, become out of touch and got comfortable. He didn’t take any decisive action against Boko Haram until six weeks before the election. The people saw through this.

Now, of course not everything is rosy. It is now emerging that former president Goodluck Jonathan withdrew almost $300M is cash from the Nigerian National Bank just as Nigerians went to the polls. 

Many of the governors who have taken office have complained bitterly that the bank accounts of their states are empty having been looted heavily just before their election.  As a result some states have seen industrial action by state workers as they have been unable to pay salaries, and many have gone home with empty pockets.

There’s blatant and open corruption everywhere you see somebody wearing a uniform. Murtala Muhammad International Airport in Lagos is a shakedown experience like none you have ever seen. 

The check-in counter guy will shake you down, the civil aviation authority official issuing directions will shake you down, immigration people will bleed you dry and the the customs people will eat your bones. Then you will go to the loo and the cleaning lady will ask you to leave her “something for the weekend.”

Still, there’s a lot of fresh air in this country. A renewed expression of critical thinking, innovation and commitment to public service. Of course nobody knows how things will turn out over the course of this presidency but one thing is for sure Nigeria is on the move and the rest of Africa is likely to benefit.

The fear of Buhari. Long may it continue. grin

http://m.mgafrica.com/article/2015-09-28-the-fear-of-buhari-whips-nigeria-into-shape/

Lalasticlala

180 Likes 20 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by agarawu23(m): 7:16pm On Sep 28, 2015
It’s now September 2015, only months since President Buhari took over. The national electricity utility, the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), which was never known to supply electricity for more than 2-3 hours a day is now consistently powering the cities for 20+ hours.

Port Harcourt petroleum refinery that had not refined even a litre of petrol over the last 15 years is now pumping hard, and Warri and other refineries are about to come back online. “To the best of my knowledge,” my host says, “there’s been no extra funding, technical assistance, or anything new given. This is happening because of the fear of Buhari.”

Enemies of progress should come and read oo cheesy

151 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by midolian(m): 7:17pm On Sep 28, 2015
The fear of Buhari, Long may it continue grin grin

Evening, Mr hinwazaka grin grin

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 28, 2015
Some people won't like this. Buhari is victory for Nigeria.

94 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by hinwazaka: 7:29pm On Sep 28, 2015
SO IN ESSENCE, FROM THE PIC OF THE EMIR ON YOUR THREAD, ONLY THE NORTH CAN LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND. ZOMBIE, YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SAUL AS YOUR LEADER, WHEN MOSES AND JOSHUA ARE AVAILABLE. AS THE BIBLE SAYS" OBEDIENCE IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE".

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Bamoha(m): 7:29pm On Sep 28, 2015
this is a beautiful piece... it just made my evenin

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by owobokiri(m): 7:29pm On Sep 28, 2015
A prehistoric political dinosaur from the most conservative-illiterate part of Africa obviously lacks the cerebral gravitas to become the beacon of change and the driver of modernization in Africa.. The whole of Africa is not as dumb as you think, my good friend midolian.. A man who derided ministers as some inconsequential "noise makers" belongs to the days of Ovaranwen and has nothing whatsoever to do with running a modern economy.

84 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by FreeGlobe(f): 7:36pm On Sep 28, 2015
The. fear of buhari has not stopped Nigeria from sliding into recession under buhari, it has not stopped corruption, it has not stopped boko haram, it has not returned chibok girls, it has not produced the 5000 naira buhari produced poor Nigerians like his zombies midolian and agarawu23, it has not stopped kidnapping. No change.

93 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by midolian(m): 7:37pm On Sep 28, 2015
owobokiri:
A prehistoric political dinosaur from the most conservative-illiterate part of Africa obviously lacks the cerebral gravitas to become the beacon of change and the driver of modernization in Africa.. The whole of Africa is not as dumb as you think, my good friend midolian.. A man who derided ministers as some inconsequential "noise makers" belongs to the days of Ovaranwen and has nothing whatsoever to do with running a modern economy.
bro, Nigeria is getting the respect and recognition she has long lost. Are you not supposed to be happy?

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Mogidi: 7:38pm On Sep 28, 2015
Wow!!!
[size=15pt]The propaganda has gone international,[/size] the body odour is no longer restricted to our shores.

96 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by lonelyvoiz: 7:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
Psycho Fan « APC Psycophant » Sycophantic Psycho

[img]http://www.freedomafric.com/resources/apc-sycophantic-psycho/213[/img]

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by ifex370(m): 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2015
let's keep being hopeful

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by agarawu23(m): 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2015
[s]
FreeGlobe:
The. fear of buhari has not stopped Nigeria from sliding into recession under buhari, it has not stopped corruption, it has not stopped boko haram, it has not returned chibok girls, it has not produced the 5000 naira buhari produced poor Nigerians like his zombies mido lian and agar awu23, it has not stopped kidnapping. No change.
[/s] only enemy of progress will not notice the changes in Nigeria.

When will you guys start telling ppl the truth ?

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by kokoA(m): 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2015
owobokiri:
it is all these big big "civilized" grammar they use in looting our money. I'm okay with my Buhari.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by midolian(m): 7:42pm On Sep 28, 2015
hinwazaka:
SO IN ESSENCE, FROM THE PIC OF THE EMIR ON YOUR THREAD, ONLY THE NORTH CAN LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND. ZOMBIE, YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SAUL AS YOUR LEADER, WHEN MOSES AND JOSHUA ARE AVAILABLE. AS THE BIBLE SAYS" OBEDIENCE IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE".
Mr Hinwazaka, I am glad you have no problem with the article but the pics attached to it. So if I had removed the pics before opening the thread, you would have completely agreed with me that the fear of Buhari has whipped Nigeria into shape grin grin

27 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by atlwireles: 7:47pm On Sep 28, 2015
The almajiris keep spreading their jokes on themselves. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Aminat508(f): 7:47pm On Sep 28, 2015
cheesy grin grin grin angry grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin angry grin

4 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by atlwireles: 7:49pm On Sep 28, 2015
Mogidi:
Wow!!!
[size=15pt]The propaganda has gone international,[/size] the body odour is no longer restricted to our shores.

Na dem go hala

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Abugab(m): 7:52pm On Sep 28, 2015
Like the Arab spring, the anti corruption war will soon blow across Africa and consume all corrupt political rulers of the past and present. If Nigeria gets it right surely other African countries will get it right too
Buhari has blown the whistle and others like Ghana are already queuing behind.

31 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Mogidi: 7:54pm On Sep 28, 2015
atlwireles:

Na dem go hala

Just wait, they would soon tell us they helped reduce American deficit hahahaha!!

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 28, 2015
hinwazaka:
why can't u think outside d box bro?

18 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by onismate: 7:57pm On Sep 28, 2015
Indeed I quit agree with you. Buhari is pretty influential in Africa and his attitude and work done in Nigeria might shape Other African countries.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by atlwireles: 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2015
Mogidi:

Just wait, they would soon tell us they helped reduce American deficit hahahaha!!

Waiting for their declaration on the Mars water discovery. Buhari's body odor will be credited, sooner or later by his almajiri followers.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by midolian(m): 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2015
IbnIslam:
Don't mind hinwazaka, the name Buhari sends shivers down his spine. Something tells me he is a corrupt politician grin grin

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 28, 2015
hinwazaka:
Any other proof that the Bible is for dummies? undecided

5 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 28, 2015
IbnIslam:
He's trapped in it, waiting for fresh air. The wind of change will blow him out soon. grin

10 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by kamair237(m): 8:07pm On Sep 28, 2015
WHAT MORE CAN I SAY...

PMB PRESIDENT OF AFRICA!!!
WAILERS GO AND DIE

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Jayne2014(f): 8:10pm On Sep 28, 2015
midolian:

Evening, Mr hinwazaka grin grin
Bros, no vex oh. Are you paid to hype the government? Seriously, Goebbels will be envious of you.
Please note that I am neither APC nor PDP.
I am for total restructuring of the foundation.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by Olamitisoji(m): 8:18pm On Sep 28, 2015
Ok
Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by midolian(m): 8:22pm On Sep 28, 2015
Jayne2014:

Bros, no vex oh. Are you paid to hype the government? Seriously, Goebbels will be envious of you.
Please note that I am neither APC nor PDP.
I am for total restructuring of the foundation.
No babe..you can check my threads. They are not always pro-government. Just that, in a situation like this(where other countries celebrate us), we just have to celebrate it too. Nigeria is gradually getting her lost glory restored.

16 Likes

Re: The Fear Of Buhari Whips Nigeria Into Shape, &Africa Just Might Be Carried Along by GOATandYAMtheory: 8:40pm On Sep 28, 2015
Bamoha:
this is a beautiful piece... it just made my evenin
same here bro. Now I am proud to be Nigerian.

Lalasticlala

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

​ Full Telegraph Interview With Buhari / Quit Notice On Igbos: What Arewa Youths Told Me – Orji Kalu / Buhari Meets Abdulsalami Abubakar In Makkah (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.