Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,721 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Advice For Backsliding Christians. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice For Backsliding Christians. (17027 Views)

An Athiest Is Backsliding, Pls Help!!! / Open Heaven Daily Devotional(sat. 02/12/2017) Backsliding Not An Option. / Cure For Backsliding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 10:53pm On Sep 30, 2015
2 Peter 2:20-22, we read of the real
possibility and serious consequences
of backsliding:

2 Peter 2:20-22,
"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ,they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness,than,after they
have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire."

Yes, this is interesting, we find this passage coming from the pen of peter. If anyone know the reality of firsthand backsliding, it must be peter , the night he betrayed our Lord Jesus christ .

The process of backsliding is a gradual one, often overtaking one by surprise (peter could not believe,he will deny Jesus) . And lest we fall from our own steadfastness, We shall carefully examine the process that led to Peter's denial of Christ, followed by noticing how Peter's own words in his epistles are designed to prevent the same from happening to us!

1. PRIDE.
Mark 14:27-31,
"And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. But Peter said unto him, ALTHOUGH ALL SHALL BE
OFFENDED, YET WILL NOT I. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all."

In a boastful manner, Peter claims he
will not fall away or deny Christ! In
doing so, Peter takes the first step in
backsliding: "pride" (Proverbs 16:18).
Why is this the "first" step? Because
the first step in entering the kingdom
is HUMILITY( Mathew 18:3-4). So if we
lose "humility", we take that first step
BACKWARD.

2.COWARDICE.
Mark 14:54,
"AND PETER FOLLOW HIM AFAR OFF , even into the palace of the high priest: and he sat with the servants, and warmed himself at the fire."

Is this not cowardice? When Jesus was healing and the people love Him , peter walk by His side, and now when Jesus was unpopular, he walk afar off,is this not the same peter who vow to follow Jesus ? . Peter was unprepared for the challenge of facing ridicule and persecution. Without diligent preparation, we too can become guilty of cowardice! Ashamed to be seen carrying the scriptures. Ashamed to be seen giving thanks. Ashamed to be seen with other believers in Christ. Perhaps
even ashamed to let others know that
we are believers! And yet, Jesus has made it clear what He thinks of "cowardice" (Mark 8:38)

3. DENIAL.
Mark 14:66-71,
"And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest: And when she saw
Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.But he DENIED, saying, I know not, neither understand I
what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew. And a maid saw him again,and began to say to them that stood by, This is one of them.
And he DENIED IT AGAIN. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech
agreeth thereto. But he began to CURSE AND SWEAR , saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak."

First he "DENIED" and later he" CURSE AND SWEAR "(which Jesus Himself warn against) Away from Christ, at comfort with those in the world, Peter finds himself denying His Lord and Savior! In so doing, he has put himself in grave
danger (Matthew 10:32-33). Though
we may never actually deny Jesus in
"words", we can easily backslide to
the point of denying Him in "action."

In conclusion, amazingly, it was peter himself who give advice from backsliding christians;

1. To Guard Against Pride:
Peter enjoins "humility" (1Peter 5:5-6).
Indeed, "God resists the PROUD, but gives grace to the HUMBLE."
2. Instead of Cowardice:
Peter charges us to "glorify God" (1 Peter 4:16). Think NOT of what it means to
you, BUT what it means to God!
3. Instead Of Denial:
Peter exhorts us to ever be ready to "give a defense" (1Peter 3:15).
By careful preparation, we will "DEFEND " Christ, and NOT "DENY" Christ!

47 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 9:24am On Oct 01, 2015
Is any backsliding christian reading this ? Atheists ,agnostics ,muslim or pagan. Jesus say in the book of revelation, I read :
Revelation 3:20
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

This may be the final invitation. Peace.

44 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by tartar9(m): 1:45pm On Oct 01, 2015
malvisguy212:
Is any backsliding christian reading this ? Atheists ,agnostics ,muslim or pagan. Jesus say in the book of revelation, I read :
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

fûck off

21 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 10:54pm On Oct 01, 2015
tartar9:
fûck off
your choice.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 6:29am On Oct 03, 2015
malvisguy212:

1 Like

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 03, 2015
malvisguy212:

Nice one malvisguy212...What's up with you and Islam section signature? I hope they are not trying to force their religion on you grin LOL
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 8:20am On Oct 03, 2015
DoubleDeeX:

Nice one malvisguy212...What's up with you and Islam section signature! I hope they are not trying to force their religion on you grin LOL
my brother, I learn that if you click no they will ban you from commenting in their section forever so I click yes just to bring the gospel to the muslims as Paul say here:

1 Corinthians 9:19: “For though I am free from all men, I have made myself A SERVANT TO ALL, THAT I MIGHT WIN THE MORE; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ) , that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.”

Paul was a interlingent man , this is the best way to reach out to the heathen , those who can kill to save their religion, this is the best way to reach out to them. He divides the world into the religious with the law, (Jews) and the Gentiles, without the law.(although Paul was a Jew) .

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by MeandSum: 12:12pm On Oct 03, 2015
malvisguy212:

What do you think you, as a believer in all these rubbish have that atheist don't?

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2015
MeandSum:

What do you think you, as a believer in all these rubbish have that atheist don't?

Eternal life...Judgement comes after this life! You must be joking to think atheists, unbelievers and all the rebellious are going to get away with all their blasphemies against the creator of all things!

God is no respecter of persons; every man will be paid according to his works. Atheists clearly prefer eternal damnation in the lake of fire with their master Satan over the free gift of eternal life; and that's exactly what they are all going to receive!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 6:05pm On Oct 03, 2015
MeandSum:

come again!!

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by truthman2012(m): 9:16pm On Oct 03, 2015
tartar9:
fûck off

The thread is meant for those who serve God in the Spirt and not for carnal people who serve a strange god who surfaced 650 years after Jesus had finished our work of salvation.

You are invited though.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 5:15am On Oct 04, 2015
Cc Ishilove,Lalasticlala .

1 Like

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by DebbyChris(f): 6:20am On Oct 04, 2015
Lord have mercy on me.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by MeandSum: 6:43am On Oct 04, 2015
malvisguy212:
come again!!

I will come again. List 10 things you think only those who believe in your god would have that Atheist like me don't have.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by Nobody: 6:46am On Oct 04, 2015
malvisguy212:
2 Peter 2:20-22, we read of the real
possibility and serious consequences
of backsliding:

2 Peter 2:20-22,
"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ,they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness,than,after they
have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire."

Yes, this is interesting, we find this passage coming from the pen of peter. If anyone know the reality of firsthand backsliding, it must be peter , the night he betrayed our Lord Jesus christ .

The process of backsliding is a gradual one, often overtaking one by surprise (peter could not believe,he will deny Jesus) . And lest we fall from our own steadfastness, We shall carefully examine the process that led to Peter's denial of Christ, followed by noticing how Peter's own words in his epistles are designed to prevent the same from happening to us!

1. PRIDE.
Mark 14:27-31,
"And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. But Peter said unto him, ALTHOUGH ALL SHALL BE
OFFENDED, YET WILL NOT I. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all."

In a boastful manner, Peter claims he
will not fall away or deny Christ! In
doing so, Peter takes the first step in
backsliding: "pride" (Proverbs 16:18).
Why is this the "first" step? Because
the first step in entering the kingdom
is HUMILITY( Mathew 18:3-4). So if we
lose "humility", we take that first step
BACKWARD.

2.COWARDICE.
Mark 14:54,
"AND PETER FOLLOW HIM AFAR OFF , even into the palace of the high priest: and he sat with the servants, and warmed himself at the fire."

Is this not cowardice? When Jesus was healing and the people love Him , peter walk by His side, and now when Jesus was unpopular, he walk afar off,is this not the same peter who vow to follow Jesus ? . Peter was unprepared for the challenge of facing ridicule and persecution. Without diligent preparation, we too can become guilty of cowardice! Ashamed to be seen carrying the scriptures. Ashamed to be seen giving thanks. Ashamed to be seen with other believers in Christ. Perhaps
even ashamed to let others know that
we are believers! And yet, Jesus has made it clear what He thinks of "cowardice" (Mark 8:38)

3. DENIAL.
Mark 14:66-71,
"And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest: And when she saw
Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.But he DENIED, saying, I know not, neither understand I
what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew. And a maid saw him again,and began to say to them that stood by, This is one of them.
And he DENIED IT AGAIN. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech
agreeth thereto. But he began to CURSE AND SWEAR , saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak."

First he "DENIED" and later he" CURSE AND SWEAR "(which Jesus Himself warn against) Away from Christ, at comfort with those in the world, Peter finds himself denying His Lord and Savior! In so doing, he has put himself in grave
danger (Matthew 10:32-33). Though
we may never actually deny Jesus in
"words", we can easily backslide to
the point of denying Him in "action."

In conclusion, amazingly, it was peter himself who give advice from backsliding christians;

1. To Guard Against Pride:
Peter enjoins "humility" (1Peter 5:5-6).
Indeed, "God resists the PROUD, but gives grace to the HUMBLE."
2. Instead of Cowardice:
Peter charges us to "glorify God" (1 Peter 4:16). Think NOT of what it means to
you, BUT what it means to God!
3. Instead Of Denial:
Peter exhorts us to ever be ready to "give a defense" (1Peter 3:15).
By careful preparation, we will "DEFEND " Christ, and NOT "DENY" Christ!

if one backsides from any religion, then the lord has come to save dem...

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by MeandSum: 6:53am On Oct 04, 2015
DoubleDeeX:

Eternal life...Judgement comes after this life! You must be joking to think atheists, unbelievers and all the rebellious are going to get away with all their blasphemies against the creator of all things!

God is no respecter of persons; every man will be paid according to his works. Atheists clearly prefer eternal damnation in the lake of fire with their master Satan over the free gift of eternal life; and that's exactly what they are all going to receive!

Eternal life of what? who has seen or reported there to be an eternal life that are verifiable? have you ever asked yourself why your so called creator always rely on you for vengeance? you can't blaspheme against a non entity. sorry, you're wasting your time.

give me solid proof like x,y,z is what a believer gets that a non believer doesn't get.

5 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by permsec: 8:02am On Oct 04, 2015
People are backsliding because the economy is backsliding as well.

e no easy for ezekiel.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by freecocoa(f): 8:06am On Oct 04, 2015
Rubbish.tongue

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 8:12am On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Rubbish.tongue
carnal minded

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by freecocoa(f): 8:15am On Oct 04, 2015
malvisguy212:
carnal minded
I love being carnal minded, I've never felt more alive and happy.

Praise to Yaweh the most carnal god ever, after all he was the one who impregnated someone's wife, not me.tongue

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 8:17am On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
I love being carnal minded, I've never felt more alive and happy.

Praise to Yaweh the most carnal god ever, after all he was the one who impregnated someone's wife, not me.tongue
alright.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by damiloladuke: 9:11am On Oct 04, 2015
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by englishmart(m): 9:11am On Oct 04, 2015
stop sliding backwardly, start sliding forwardly

1 Like

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by justino57(m): 9:11am On Oct 04, 2015
Repent
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by yorubaboiy: 9:11am On Oct 04, 2015
k
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by wunmi590(m): 9:12am On Oct 04, 2015
Nice piece.
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 04, 2015
Threats everywhere. Make una calm down abeg

1 Like

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by allanphash7(m): 9:12am On Oct 04, 2015
Crap
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by cold(m): 9:13am On Oct 04, 2015
tartar9:
fûck off
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Biblical Procedures For Burial? / 10 Reasons Why GOD Allows Suffering On His People / Reasons Why We Go To Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.