Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,696 members, 7,840,711 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate (12701 Views)

Poll: Is This A Good Initiative?

Yes: 77% (35 votes)
No: 22% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigerian Migrants Trying To Enter Kiev Under Guise Of Football Team Detained At / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / An Illegal Nigerian Immigrant Arrested In UK After Living For 20years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by AustinG1(m): 9:47am On Apr 23, 2009
FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO ILLEGALLY GET INTO SWISS COZ OF THE COOL CASH, I KNOW OF A VERY FAST WAY TO GET THERE ILLEGALLY, JUST TAKE A BUS TO APAPA, TAKE A BOAT FROM THERE GOING TO SWISS, U WILL GET THERE IN THE NEXT 45 MINUTES IF THERE IS NO TRAFFIC ON THE SEA , grin
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by GeorgeD1(m): 11:59am On Apr 23, 2009
Such sentiments as being raised by honda29 is one reason why nigerians will continue to be
looked down on in other countries. To think that someone will leave his fatherland and happily
go and wash toilets all because he feels he cannot make it in his country is to me rather pathetic.

For your information, not everybody making it in this country is a polititian or civil servant or any of
those mentioned. There're various other individuals who through their personal effort and God's
help are where they are today.

My brother, you don't need to travel out to make it.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by ayocity1: 12:11pm On Apr 23, 2009
posted on the blog:
http://www.social.ngmix.net/

This is one post I was reading on nairaland and I began to wonder if it makes sense. To give you the gist, just as the title says, the Swiss gov. is offering illegal Nigerians in their county $6500 to return to Nigeria. Now you ask me, what's my problem with this proposal?

First, how did they come up with $6500? Who invented this number? I know it cannot be the Swiss government because they have no idea what the standard of living in Nigeria is. They cannot possibly calculate a number that is sufficient to get a fresh start from returning from "abroad". I know it cannot be the Nigerian government either because the politicians are rich and often times have no Idea how much it cost to survive in a Nigerian system. They live lavish lives with little consideration for the underprivileged.

Anyhow @showbobo ("Dollar is about 175naira now and 6500USD would be about 1,137,500naira. . . . . . Abeg,ya'll illegal immigrants should consider this oooo. . . . .It might be a once in a lifetime opportunity"wink, how do you know they are not very comfortable with their lives over there? Maybe they are calling that money chicken feed. No one knows.

tobaina, tallrock, and cabali are on the forum professing negativity. My problem is not the negativity or positivity of other people's comments. My problem is the stupid blindness of our people: Imagine the Swiss and the Nigerian government sitting together and coming up with numbers from the air, no one asked the opinion of the illegals that are actually involved. No one even cared to do a survey in Nigeria to determine the average standard of living for the common man. No one cares, that's my conclusion. Now, if you don't care about someone, how could you device a plan to help them? But noooooo, all those forumites are worried about the money. MONEY MONEY MONEY.

I pray that God will give us the wisdom to see and fix our problems.

Read comments about other posts at:
http://www.social.ngmix.net
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by tallrock(m): 12:16pm On Apr 23, 2009
GoldCircle:

This indeed portrays the level of moral decadence that pervades today's Nigeria especially with the youth! I mean how can some1 make such comments! I can smell low self esteem here (no harm intended), but please nobody will bring you down if don't put your self down for them to trample on! I am a first class citizen in Naija & I am don't foresee any1 from my immediate generation washing toilets for anybody overseas!
I bet you you're one those people who has been enjoying a free ride in a free car. What about buying your own car?
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by GeorgeD1(m): 1:14pm On Apr 23, 2009
who's talking about riding in a free car? It's a pity some of us still don't get it.
successful people are made inspite of their circumstance and not because of
it. Even in America, could you believe there are people living worse off than
those here in nigeria?
Success only comes when you learn to master adversity and not when you have
everything on a platter of gold.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by joxiri: 4:07pm On Apr 23, 2009
wind of caution, this money is only one million naira
some of this illegal immigrants ve spent more than that on their trip to get there in the 1st place
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by sherifatou: 6:32pm On Apr 23, 2009
My problem is the stupid blindness of our people: Imagine the Swiss and the Nigerian government sitting together and coming up with numbers from the air, no one asked the opinion of the illegals that are actually involved. No one even cared to do a survey in Nigeria to determine the average standard of living for the common man.

see another oversabi Nigerian.

- the numbers were pulled out of thin air

-no one did a survey to determine the average standard of living in Nigeria

-no one asked the opinion of the illegals involved

amazing what people spout in the name of being literate.

Ask him or her how s/he arrived at these conclusions and all you'll get are vague prophecies and more curses rained on the Nigerian govt. That's what passes for Nigerian literacy these days.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by donsteady(m): 7:15pm On Apr 23, 2009
angry
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by bigug04(m): 10:46pm On Apr 23, 2009
@arogbowei
Are U sure? How did it go? Pls i need info, cos I have to come back to Europe.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by GeorgeD1(m): 8:44am On Apr 24, 2009
as long as nigerians don't learn to take fate in their hands, they'll continue to
run to foreign lands where they'll be deported.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by FBS: 11:50am On Apr 24, 2009
dont know what to say. . .honestly. Must we abuse everything?
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by jj201016: 9:14pm On Apr 24, 2009
God bless u HONDA29 you are 100% correct,i will rather wash toilet in white man's land and get paid so i'm not a slave so far they paid me than being a stupid graduate in my own country starving in abject poverty where d government doesnt give a damn for the citizen. i love you man. cheers my guy HONDA29.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by jj201016: 9:21pm On Apr 24, 2009
even some people do cleaning job in d same nigeria and they live in abject poverty,they live from hand to mouth but in europe a cleaner live a bettrer life,even oyinbo self they do cleaning job here and they live large. so the problem is NIGERIA and the good for nothing government.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by astuto: 9:56pm On Apr 24, 2009
I wonder if they are doing this for other foreigners or is it just Nigerians. this is d kind of thing that this re-branding setup over here shd look into. or what do u guys think, eh?
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by lastpage: 1:24am On Apr 25, 2009
@astuto,
This kind of "promotion" has been up for sometime now, in other countries.
For example, some years back in Ireland, they encourage people to "voluntarily return home" by themselves, instead of being forcefully deported, and they buy you a ticket and give you about three thousand Euros (not sure of the exact figure anymore, right now).
Like l said, its a win-win for both parties involved.
If we can look at "life" from the "legal and civilized" angle, as practiced in some Western countries (not from our own wicked and self-destructive mindset), 'illegals' are not criminals but people who are struggling to improve their lot.
The westerners recognize the "hell" that our leaders have imposed on us, even in the presence of abundant natural resources, out of sheer idiocy, ignoramus, illiteracy and brazen corruption!
They wish they could help but they also have their own problems to contend with!

Have you ever wondered why Finland, Norway, Swiss and some countries (before the 'credit-come-crunch!) that dont even have any natural resource like crude oil or good farmland, can pay the school fees of some Nigerian/African they dont even know from Adam, while in the same Nigerian's country, his govt can not even guarantee him one meal/day, not to talk of free university education? Na magic?, abi armed-robber na Ghost?

That money is not "awoof" as some think it is.
It serves to get rid of some "foreign pest" while saving the cost of litigation and effort required to do it, (like the way France is currently doing in Calais, this week)! and moreover, it buys them good-will in the eyes of the world.
And let me just add, how many of all those people on this forum, who are making the loudest noise, have ever traveled out of Naija sef?
At times, you need to experience 'abroad' to make an informed decision, if you think what others are telling you is discouraging.

If ONLY our government (if we have one at the moment) can just solve three problems, Abroad would loose its 'taste': (1.) Electricity (2.) Road infrastructure (3.) Employment/Security.

Sometimes, l wonder how our President feels?
How is he able to sleep peacefully at night knowing that he was elected to do a job and his performance is not just woeful but we cant even grade him since we need something to grade! Look at millions of youths roaming around daily?

It can be very frustrating to see and read about the amount of energy and items a leader like Obama has tackled in less than 100days, ,
even closer home, look at Gov. Fashola?
How come that man is able to do so much (by Naija standards) in less than two years, and UMYA has not even accomplished a single item on his 7-point agenda? Where is the "emergency" he promised, against darkness?, and he is already scheming for 2011!
Governance or leadership is not rocket science, if you're incapable, why dont you just excuze yourself and let "one" of the remaining 140Million people do the job?
Abeegi, sometimes, it is difficult to blame armed-robbers when you think about the "Agbada" and "Pen-robbers".
Am outa here pls
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by tpiah: 2:15am On Apr 25, 2009
If we can look at "life" from the "legal and civilized" angle, as practiced in some Western countries (not from our own wicked and self-destructive mindset)

tall order undecided
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by lastpage: 9:41am On Apr 25, 2009
tall order

Yes, very tall order, if we accept the whiteman's claim that Afrians (blacks) are "mentally inferior" to them!
Obama, 2day is a living proof that blacks can excel, even better than any white, given the right environment. Just like u'r Nigerian, he is Kenyan, by origin!
I know some "Nigerians" cant even escape this "self-imposed" inferiority complex, simple, basic achievements of a whiteman, is a VERY TALL ORDER for them! grin
Hmmmmm,, "my people perish, for lack of knowledge"!
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by adconline(m): 11:38am On Apr 25, 2009
cast our mind back to what happened when Nigerian illegals in Libya were promised certain amount of money and when they came back they were directed to foreign ministry/embassy and they never got the money.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by wanville(m): 2:54am On Apr 26, 2009
smiley
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by jona2: 3:54pm On Apr 26, 2009
;d
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by tpiah: 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2009
Japan Ships Back to Brazil Over 300,000 Dekaseguis (Japanese Brazilians)

Japan is planning to combat unemployment by sending back to their countries of origin 400.000 South American immigrants of Japanese stock, most of them from Brazil. The idea is to pay these immigrants known as dekaseguis a small subsidy and a one way ticket to South America, an initiative that has generated some controversy in the Japanese press.

The immigrants return program, similar to that of Spain, is financed by Japan's ministry of Health, Work and Human Services and became effective April first. The program enables all "nikkeis" (Japanese of South American origin) to receive a subsidy of 2.300 Euros (US$ 3,118) plus 1.560 Euros (US$ 2,115) per family dependent, which should be enough so see them off back to their countries of origin.

According to census data from 2007 there are an estimated 400.000 "nikkei" in Japan of which 310.000 from Brazil; 60.000 from Peru and the rest from Argentina, Bolivia and Colombia.

Brazil which last year celebrated the centenary of Japanese immigration has the largest community with 1.5 million.

Tokyo authorities' decision has three main objectives reports the Japanese press: help "Nikkei" workers return to their countries of origin; ease the domestic labor market and avoid having to pay unemployment insurance to the tune of 1.500 Euros (US$ 2,033) per month.

In the nineties when Japan was short of labor it eased its rigid immigration regulations giving South Americans of Japanese origin the chance to obtain work permits to cover the three "K": Kitsui, Kitani and Kiken, that is the hard, dirty and dangerous jobs the locals refused to apply for.

According to the Tokyo press, authorities were also fearful of having to offer work permits to close trade allies, China and Iran.

http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/10647/1/

Brazilian identity in Japan

In Japan, many Japanese Brazilians suffer prejudice because they do not know how to speak Japanese correctly. Despite their Japanese appearance, Brazilians in Japan are culturally Brazilians, usually only speaking Portuguese, and are treated as foreigners.

The children of Brazilians suffer prejudice in Japanese schools for not knowing the Japanese language. Thousands of Brazilian children are out of school in Japan. Scholars report that many Japanese Brazilians felt (and were often treated) as Japanese in Brazil. But when they move to Japan, they realize that they are totally Brazilian. In Brazil, Japanese Brazilians rarely heard the samba and participated in a carnival parade. However, once in Japan, Japanese Brazilians often promote carnivals and samba festivities in the Japanese cities to demonstrate their pride of being Brazilians.

The Brazilian influence in Japan is growing. Tokyo has the largest carnival parade outside of Brazil itself. Portuguese is the third most spoken foreign language in Japan, after Chinese and Korean, and is among the most studied languages by students in the country. In Oizumi, it is estimated that 15% of the population speak Portuguese as their native language. Japan has two newspapers in Portuguese language, besides radio and television stations spoken in that language. The Brazilian fashion and Bossa Nova music are also popular among Japanese.

In 2005, there were an estimated 302,000 Brazilian nationals in Japan, of whom 25,000 also hold Japanese citizenship. Each year, 4,000 Brazilian immigrants return to Brazil from Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilian

If Japan can pay Japanese Brazilians to return to Brazil, then its not surprising other countries can do the same for illegals on their territory.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 27, 2009
tpiah:

If Japan can pay Japanese Brazilians to return to Brazil, then its not surprising other countries can do the same for illegals on their territory.

plane ride from Japan to Brazil is close to 2000$ so do the math.
the difference is that Japanese dont give them any money, what they get just pay for them and their family plane ticket back home AND BEFORE THEY LEAVE THEY HAVE TO SIGN A PAPER THAT STIPULATES THAT THEY WILL NEVER SEEK EMPLOYMENT IN JAPAN EVER AGAIN.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by aktunde(m): 11:50am On Apr 27, 2009
I think this should be a kind of eye opener for those people struggling to go to Europe. If an illegal resident of Switzerland would accept $6500 to come back to Nigeria, this is enough to tell you he/she is not earning enough there. So, what is the point being there in the first place?.

I also think that this is a trap for the illegal immigrants there. If I were in Switzerland, I would be the last to fall into such a trap. Let's be realistic. For someone resettling from Switzerland, $6500 may not be enough. Would anyone like to return from Switzerland and start squatting with a friend or family? I'm sure you might not want to consider that option, especially when you have never sent a single CHF ( Swiss Franc) to them while you were there. The value of a $ to Naira is about N175. lets say its even N200. Then you have like 1.3M. What if you appear, but don't get the money easy as you think? What if you present you business plans, and they said your plans are not viable to receive such funds? In the case where bye your business plans doesn't qualify for the fund; do you think you would still be allowed to say because you were not given the fund? I guess NO! This would even be worse. You wouldn't get the fund, and you would still be forced back home.

If you eventually get the $6500 @ N200 max. (N1.3m) What kind of business would you do with that in Nigeria? A country where multimillion dollar companies are relocating to Ghana and other countries because of poor power supply and other business threats? What is your N1.3m compared to the capital of these companies? Yeah, many people who haven't seen hard currencies before (even hard Naira) might be very comfortable to start a business with N10,000 - N50,000. Unfortunately, you have passed that stage. I'm sure no one would want to come from Europe, and fall back to that level again. Even if you don't mind, the expectations of your friends and families about those returning from Europe are always very high. As a result of this, you might not want to consider just any kind of petty business.

If God helps you, the dollar is exchanged for N200 which gives you N1.3m. What kind of business would you do with that in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt (where most repatriates hang around before finally going back to their village)? For an average Nigerian hustler who has never traveled out before,  he might be able to turn over that money, and never remain poor again. The reason is that he is already used to the system here, he is used to poverty, therefore he would not be ashamed to continue living in his one bedroom "face me I face you" apartment while growing his business. I believe an average Nigerian hustler who has never traveled out before might do better than you with that money because; "given the 1.3M, he is continuing in his struggle". Meanwhile, you are starting all over again. Do you know how much it costs to get an average standard 3 bedrooms apartment in the states mentioned? Or you would like to start from a room in a "face me I face you" apartment? If you would like to start wit a moderate apartment, you might be required to pay for 2 years mostly. By doing this, about (from N400K and above has gone from your N1.3M) There are even houses that cost more than N1.3M per annum  grin grin grin grin grin grin Your money don finish!! grin grin grin grin

Even if you choose to ignore the mockery and start from a single bedroom in your village or Lagos you still have a lot to do. Have you heard that only less than 5% all small businesses survive more than 5 years from from it's first day of operation in Nigeria? Do you have the technical knowledge and determination to remain in a business even if it is not bringing as much as you expect?

Please, consider this before you go and apply for your $6500. Gbam! This is my own opinion. I might not be absolutely right. You are in the best position to decide. I only want you to weigh the possibility of getting the $6500, as well as the pros and cons of accepting it, before you come back home. I am sure of only one thing. Once you appear before the Swiss immigration authority, it's not certain that you would qualify for the money. But it is tooooo certain that you would be forced back home, against your wish. Sorry oh
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by debson(m): 12:47pm On Apr 27, 2009
How much is $6,500/person?
Is this part of the interest rate on our money stashed in their country by our corrupt leaders?
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by tpiah: 1:56pm On Apr 27, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

plane ride from Japan to Brazil is close to 2000$ so do the math.
the difference is that Japanese dont give them any money, what they get just pay for them and their family plane ticket back home AND BEFORE THEY LEAVE THEY HAVE TO SIGN A PAPER THAT STIPULATES THAT THEY WILL NEVER SEEK EMPLOYMENT IN JAPAN EVER AGAIN.

true.

The point is, these are ethnic Japanese that are being repatriated from Japan ie treated like regular foreigners right now. That's why I posted the wiki article as well.

So imagine the treatment that can get meted out to illegals with no ties at all to their countries of residence be it Japan or elsewhere, besides economic ones, should push come to shove.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2009
tpiah:

So imagine the treatment that can get meted out to illegals with no ties at all to their countries of residence be it Japan or elsewhere, besides economic ones, should push come to shove.

yes you are right, they still dont give illegals the same chances.

as for the Swiss thing, to each their own. some people might be tired of struggling to make ends meet while others live a comfortable lives.
the credit crunch is forcing nations to try to alleviate the amount of scroungers in their countries.
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by GeorgeD1(m): 10:10am On Apr 28, 2009
when will we ever learn to be wise?
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by codeworks(m): 11:27am On Apr 28, 2009
u spend alot of money entering Switzerland. i guess u will spend more that 6500 dollar
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by GeorgeD1(m): 11:39am On Apr 28, 2009
not everyone spends half as much. remember nigerians
are good at stowing away in ship basements grin
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 28, 2009
youngsters in 9ja that have never left the country will look at expats going back home with wheels, fresh gears, money to build mansions etc. the youngsters will automatically think that abroad is where he has to go to make his own fortune. the grass will always be greener on the other side in these kids eyes.
the only way for someone to learn and understand how TOUGH life abroad can be "for some" is to experience it themselves. some kid who have absolutely no education think they can just go abroad and be successful!!!!!
let them go to their Eldorado!
there is not too many options:
A)they get succesful in whatever they get into
B)they fail and run back to Lagos(or get deported) with a lesson learned
C) they join the thousands of desperates who decided to become 419scammers/yahoo boyz etc and eventually end up in jail before being deported back home(with their tails between their legs)
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by GeorgeD1(m): 10:15am On Apr 29, 2009
@MRbrownJAY,
well said grin
Re: Switzerland Offers Illegal Nigerian Migrants $6,500 Each To Relocate by Kay1kay1(m): 7:07pm On May 01, 2009
Then some Mr./ Mrs. Illegal immigrant appears at the Swiss authorities to say what? , 'Here I am,my life's in your hands'.??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Turkish Embassy. / Nnolim Nnaji: International Flights To Resume At Enugu Airport Today / Dubai And South Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.