Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? (4433 Views)

Woman Disobeys Her Husband to Buy Land of 350k Yrs later See what happened to it / Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? / Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by innobarca(m): 12:31pm On Oct 03, 2015
I heard that a child starting school under 2 yrs is a waste of money,cal it nursery or anything as far as de child can not talk very well.
U are sending de child to play wit other kids and you pay fees for the play play....

What do we gain by sending a little kid under 2 years to school?maybe for de working class bt it is still a waste of money.
I think its true shaa,what do u think or which age is better.
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by mekzyjoe(m): 12:53pm On Oct 03, 2015
grin grin
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by thorpido(m): 12:58pm On Oct 03, 2015
If you say under 2yrs,then that includes a child that is 1yr 10mths.
I don't think it's that bad cause a child that age has started picking up on some things.

2 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by psucc(m): 1:07pm On Oct 03, 2015
My son is 1yr and 10months. He is already reciting 'letter A for Apple.

Funny though, when he got to where S is used for Shoes, he call it after the uncle.
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 03, 2015
I think 2 is too young. But anything over two is good and tbh the earlier the better.
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2015
If it's a very small fee, cool but if e pass 10k.. I go teach am for house grin More bills ahead
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by tpiander: 1:32pm On Oct 03, 2015
innobarca:
I heard that a child starting school under 2 yrs is a waste of money,cal it nursery or anything as far as de child can not talk very well.
U are sending de child to play wit other kids and you pay fees for the play play....

What do we gain by sending a little kid under 2 years to school?maybe for de working class bt it is still a waste of money.

Explain how it concerns you first

1 Like

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 03, 2015
My kids will be home schooled till they are 4.

I'm not ready to put kids under so much pressure.

9 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by rolled: 4:41pm On Oct 03, 2015
Phema:

Wise

1 Like

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by rolled: 4:44pm On Oct 03, 2015
Nigerians with this 'The earlier the better"
where have we gotten to with 'the earlier the better"
make una continue
in fact let your kids recite A for Abimbola at 2 months old
which one concern me
No wonder an average naija kid is so dull(even if they come out first position)just discuss with them and you would find out is all cram work

3 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by tpiander: 4:45pm On Oct 03, 2015
rolled:
which one concern me

eod.
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by fairheven: 5:00pm On Oct 03, 2015
innobarca:

It's absolutely a "no brain"
Few years back I listened to a BBC documentary on performance of students around the world titled "TOP OF THE CLASS" and it was discovered the Scandinavian countries had the best grades compared to any other countries and the reason was trace to the fact that some of their kids don't start schooling until the age of 7. .yes ,that was shocking
.they guide their wards through "home Education" and by the time they clock seven ,they are already grounded and fully enlightened. Nothing like home Education.

1 Like

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by digitsolution: 5:11pm On Oct 03, 2015
It's not such a bad idea when you enroll your kids in school under 2years they don't really teach anything all they do is play,eat and sleep be it creche , toddlers etc. But it's good you allow your kids to interact with other kids.

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 03, 2015
I dont know anything bout kids but some women work so they have to take their children to day care centers. But the xhildren get to mingle with their peer rather than when they r at home . Though we often overdo it and its cos dere arent govtal regulations here. In othee countries, derea an age limit when a child can start school

1 Like

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by diamondc(f): 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2015
my daughter is a year and 6months, in school now though I teach in d same school. she recites poems and alphabets though I can't understand some when she recites but to her it makes sence. I see nothing wrong with that.
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by MMotimo: 7:28am On Oct 04, 2015
It is a cultural thing. I started nursery school at 2 years old because it was the norm and as far as I know, it's still normal in Nigeria. Out West though, it is considered abnormal and even pre-kindergarten programs have a higher minimum age.

I support minimum 5 years old in kindergarten for the typical kid but the Einsteins may have to get in earlier so that boredom doesn't destroy them.

1 Like

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 04, 2015
diamondc:
my dota z a yr 6months, in school now dou I teach in d same school. she recites poems and alphabets dou I can't understand some wen she recites but to her it makes sence. I see notn wrong wit dat.
Aunty teacher, cut down on your abbreviations

6 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by innobarca(m): 2:53pm On Oct 04, 2015
fairheven:

It's absolutely a "no brain"
Few years back I listened to a BBC documentary on performance of students around the world titled "TOP OF THE CLASS" and it was discovered the Scandinavian countries had the best grades compared to any other countries and the reason was trace to the fact that some of their kids don't start schooling until the age of 9. .yes ,that was shocking
.they guide their wards through "home Education" and by the time they clock NINE ,they are already grounded and fully enlightened. Nothing like home Education.

I think Nigerian govt should look into it because it puts the little kids under pressure, parents wants to do it bc of wat people say....is ur child not going to school?go and register her/him ohh de child is sharp,a child should be able to call daddy and mummy,call things by their names bf starting school...my opinion though
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Bloomingbud(f): 4:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
Phema:

4 years? Don't you think its kinda late? How do you intend to home school then ma.

I need to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 04, 2015
My neighbor's kids (aged 2and4) comes back home around 5pm, and they leave home 7am. on weekends, it's extra lesson. I've tried talking to her to tune it down a bit, they are kids infact babies, but she believes she's helping them.

My baby will start playgroup at age 2, then proper school at 4.

1 Like

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 04, 2015
diamondc:
my dota z a yr 6months, in school now dou I teach in d same school. she recites poems and alphabets dou I can't understand some wen she recites but to her it makes sence. I see notn wrong wit dat.

You are a teacher? Wonderful! I hope you're just the PHE teacher o.

2 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by zaynie(f): 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2015
If you are looking to homeschool your kid, you better be an encyclopedia yourself and be ready to dedicate time for the child.
A 5 year old girl was recently brought to my class....basic one. She was homeschooled. Although her handwriting is very beautiful, she cannot read so well, she finds it hard to give back what she has been taught, she is very slow in writing and she cries over every little thing. Her mates are blazing very far ahead and I have to take extra time to pull her up. Its not as if she knows any thing that the others dont or as if she is extra ordinarily good at arts, music or so.

My son started school at a year and 2mths....before then we were always together and I taught him many things. At 6mths his coordinations were awesome, he could babble things and he was very good at mimicry. He is also very active.
I had to go back to work and daycare for such an active child was a big NO for me. So school it was. He is 3 and in Nursery One. He speaks very well, has a good understanding of our dialect and also does fairly well at his arabic, writes and identifies letters he's good with sports and games. I still teach him most things at home but starting school early helped him.

5 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Bloomingbud(f): 9:08pm On Oct 04, 2015
I think starting school early is not about reading and writing alone but it also helps children to develop some other skills.

Like Zaynie's example of the 5 years old girl that was home schooled and cry at every given opportunity.

My niece started school before 2 now she is 4 and doing perfectly well in nursery 2. She can write two and three letter words, 1-60 and some other things. The key word I think should be moderacy, I don't support home lesson for children except such child is below average.

Aunty Zaynie..she ara le daada? regards to atinuke.

3 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by obiaguna(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2015
diamondc:

Do you write like this in class? It's truly appalling for a full grown adult and a TEACHER to write the way you do. Please for the sake of your pupils/daughter, make proper corrections. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Captainswag225(m): 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2015
innobarca:

its not a waste of money,,, it has alot of advantages:

1 it frees up the parents to do other important activities eg work, house errands

2. Trainning starts early for the child,, he or she becomes used to school life.

3. Its better than leaving ur child with someone who myt end up doing something bad to ur little one.

4. It makes your child brave as he or she gets exposed to new friendz.

2 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by montezz(f): 10:44pm On Oct 04, 2015
I can only support dat in cases wia d mum z a very busy woman. If u r self employed/full housewife,nothing stops u 4rm teaching her d basics at home.
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 05, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by zaynie(f): 11:22am On Oct 05, 2015
Phema, its not always that way.
You can finish very fast and very well just as you can finish very late and way below average too.

Case study....the past 3 years
2013/2014---- the oldest child was the dullest and the least matured. This was her second time in Grade 1. The youngest was not as sharp too.
2014/2015---- the oldest was just a lil bit below average. It took a lot of work to drag him to the midpoint. His work didnt reflect maturity too. The youngest was an absolute genius. Not the best buh good enough for top 5.
2015------- the oldest is the smartest! Not just book smart too.

This is not about bragging....if you have a child that is mentally capable of leaping, why are you holding him down?
There are as much capable University graduates as there are half-baked. Spending eternity in basic school and secondary school doesnt make a well rounded individual.
If you note what I said about my son, I didnt emphasize on his writing or memory skills but other skills that well rounded 3 year olds should have.

And about Nigerian system of education.....I can't speak for our Tertiary but for the school I teach in, forget it. I can say that we are surely better than certain schools in US, Egypt, Kenya and so on. We import and export these kids and we get reports of how very well our kids are doing in UK and USA too. Lets not be too quick to make points based on assumptions.

4 Likes

Re: Enroling Under 2 Yrs Child To School,bad? by fairheven: 10:56am On Oct 07, 2015
innobarca:

I think Nigerian govt should look into it because it puts the little kids under pressure, parents wants to do it bc of wat people say....is ur child not going to school?go and register her/him ohh de child is sharp,a child should be able to call daddy and mummy,call things by their names bf starting school...my opinion though

absolute truth

(1) (Reply)

Hmm! If I Were Kim Kardashian's Step-dad / Please, What Should I Do In This Sitaution? / Help! My Husband Keeps Saving His Ex-girl Pix From Watzup On His Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.