Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,978 members, 7,825,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? (1401 Views)

12 signs Your Village People Are Following Your Love Life.. / Can Semen Really Make A Room Smell? / Talk Sense Into My Head Plssss... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 4:24am On Oct 06, 2015
hey there.

i've been thinking and saying this . . . it doesn't really make sense to "follow your heart''

i mean, it doesn't make sense to ME, but then, i've always been accused of being an overly logical individual.
i mean, let's think about it. what IS the heart? a really powerful pumping machine . . . ? it doesn't even think and it is partially controlled by the brain!
so, obviously, what these people are talking about is a metaphor! they're referring to the sense of er . . . intuition? or perhaps conviction?

okay, i think they are indeed referring to conviction. that feeling that you get when you feel something IS right. like maybe you feel it's right to date a certain guy or go into a certain profession or whatever.
anyway, people often deal with conviction like it's some special thing . . . when it's not.
and the worst thing is that people have been convinced by . . . i dunno. . . other people, to follow their hearts, lol . . . i get it shoved in my face in basically every hollywood movie i watch.

when you really think about it, you are after all, only human. these convictions are made by your brain. based on certain gene algorithms and personal experience. i mean, you can't expect a village boy from borno state to feel that it is right for him to go into nanotechnology. you only feel it's right because you know it exists. the village boy might feel it is right to grow up and become a successful cattle rearer, but if he were educated, he might think of something else.

also, when you 'follow your heart', you are basically acting like an animal. sorry, but it is true . . . you are doing what YOU feel is right, without any explanation for what you're doing. fine, photography may make you feel happy. but, that's not all. you need to know if you're good at it, how much money you can make from it, so you can know if you're going to make it a parttime job or full time. you don't just jump headlong into photography because you like it. there are so many annoying parts of photography that would make even a fan cringe. i've seen some photos that are somehow basic looking, but the photographer will tell you he spent hours editing.

and that's just even in the profession sector. it's the romance sector that is really the most annoying parts. most marriages failed because the people in them followed their hearts. you need to realize that after marriage, the heart stops working. and all you're left with is common sense. you hate people who smoke but because your heart is in favour of this cute dude, you overlook it. soon, he'll seem like any other random dude and you'll regret your decisions.

anyway, what i am trying to say, i guess, is . . . always think about what you are doing. don't just do it because your brain is okay with it or because you get excited doing it. that's how people get their heart broken and their souls crushed. because the heart always stops working when you need it the most. because after all, it's all in your head. you need to reason using plain old logic. carve out back up plans, prepare for every outcome, be in control! don't just ''follow your heart'' undecided use your brains, people!

OR,

proof that i'm wrong and everything i said up there is bullcrap.

i dare you . . . i DOUBLE DARE you. cool cool
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Cutehector(m): 5:00am On Oct 06, 2015
Follow ur heart op. angry
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by donholy28(m): 5:21am On Oct 06, 2015
People have believed that the heart thinks,directs and falls in love and that makes d brain direct emotional pains to d heart..d heart's only function is to pump blood...so which heart re they following?

1 Like

Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 06, 2015
Wow. Living by logic alone & calculating every move is so boring to me. Sometimes it's fun to just throw caution to the
wind & go with the senses. Senses are there for a reason, so why not utilise them? It's funny because it is the same "animal instincts" that saves us from things the brain can't comprehend. Have you ever had a bad feeling about something? Maybe an upcoming event , a person etc, decided not to partake in it & something bad ended up happening just like your 6th sense "said". Another one is when the hair at the back of your neck bristle at the sense of looming danger. A brain alone cannot tell you that, it needs to collaborate with the senses to decide safety, smell, the difference between sadness & joy, etc. So you can't say people should live by logic alone & let intuition rot when it (intuition) has proven to be a very helpful tool/part of the human nature time & again, when the brain can't compute.

1 Like

Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by englishmart(m): 6:24am On Oct 06, 2015
you can also follow your chest too

1 Like

Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by naijaboiy: 6:48am On Oct 06, 2015
I don't even know how to follow my heart undecided
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by 0luwatope(m): 6:59am On Oct 06, 2015
Some follow their heart while others follow their manhood... I'll make a meaningful comment when I read thread... Brb
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by ShakurM(m): 6:59am On Oct 06, 2015
naijaboiy:
I don't even know how to follow my heart undecided
Oya follow me angry
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by naijaboiy: 7:01am On Oct 06, 2015
ShakurM:
Oya follow me angry
To? undecided
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by ShakurM(m): 7:01am On Oct 06, 2015
The head and heart are on a scale is what this means but the heart outweighs the head. Don't get me wrong.

Following your heart isn't an everyday decision for most people, understand that, it simply means you act accordingly to your gut feelings and emotions, your feelings I repeat , do what feels right! rather than using the head, the head complicates issues most times !

The movie '3 Idiots' comes to mind, one wanted to be a wildlife photographer, sounds stupid in the head but he followed Engineering inclinations because his head is telling him, 'you would be a laughing stock', your parents won't like this, this n that , oh you know how it went for him for those of you who have watched the movie.

Follow your heart, save yourself the headache.

Here's a tip; when faced in a crossroad of usually two decisions, you can toss a coin in the air , one decision the head, one decision the tail, when it's in the air, you would know what side you really want.

Fucvk it! I will post this.
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by khassy(m): 7:01am On Oct 06, 2015
omo heart serf get eyes ni.. abi how PERSON wan follow him heart undecidedundecided
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by sarmiie(m): 7:02am On Oct 06, 2015
There are times you need to say "f^ck it" to the logic in your head, and just go nova!!!!

If you run everything by logic, how are you different from a robot ??

Moral of the story : say "fvck it" more often. It'll free your soul
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by eyeon(m): 7:12am On Oct 06, 2015
That heart there refers to the MIND/SOUL.
Follow what your mind tells you... The word heart there is just a representer.
Meanwhile, while panicking, follow your 'heart' and you must be enjoying that beat by Dre.
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 06, 2015
PunkyVeer:
Wow. Living by logic alone & calculating every move is so boring to me. Sometimes it's fun to just throw caution to the
wind & go with the senses. Senses are there for a reason, so why not utilise them? It's funny because it is the same "animal instincts" that saves us from things the brain can't comprehend. Have you ever had a bad feeling about something? Maybe an upcoming event , a person etc, decided not to partake in it & something bad ended up happening just like your 6th sense "said". Another one is when the hair at the back of your neck bristle at the sense of looming danger. A brain alone cannot tell you that, it needs to collaborate with the senses to decide safety, smell, the difference between sadness & joy, etc. So you can't say people should live by logic alone & let intuition rot when it (intuition) has proven to be a very helpful tool/part of the human nature time & again, when the brain can't compute.
confession . . . i am afraid of the dark. lipsrsealed

i don't know why the hell i am still afraid of the dark. i distanced myself from horror movies since i was like . . . eight years ago?, tried to face my fear, but nothing . . . changed.

over the years, i've learnt, by force, cheesy that gut feelings aren't always accurate. in the dark, i always feel something extremely terrible is going to happen. i mean, i know nothing is going to happen. obviously. but that weird feeling just creeps up my neck that i'm going to get murdered from behind. or something.
fear . . . a sense of danger, comes up when your brain doesn't know what is going on. when . . . all of a sudden, all your senses provide random information that it can't classify. so, if you have a very busy brain, it start conjuring scenarios . . . but anyway.

yeah, it is . . . sometimes good to throw caution to the proverbial wind and just go with the flow . . . it feels good sometimes, but i've found, that most times, we do regret it. if you don't know what is going to happen, then you can't prepare for it, so, if something bad DOES happen, we then wish we had prepared for it, and then we start having regrets. but if we totally planned everything out, there would literally nothing to regret.

but then, i guess i'm just being overly logical. cheesy
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
confession . . . i am afraid of the dark. lipsrsealed

i don't know why the hell i am still afraid of the dark. i distanced myself from horror movies since i was like . . . eight years ago?, tried to face my fear, but nothing . . . changed.

over the years, i've learnt, by force, cheesy that gut feelings aren't always accurate. in the dark, i always feel something extremely terrible is going to happen. i mean, i know nothing is going to happen. obviously. but that weird feeling just creeps up my neck that i'm going to get murdered from behind. or something.
fear . . . a sense of danger, comes up when your brain doesn't know what is going on. when . . . all of a sudden, all your senses provide random information that it can't classify. so, if you have a very busy brain, it start conjuring scenarios . . . but anyway.

yeah, it is . . . sometimes good to throw caution to the proverbial wind and just go with the flow . . . it feels good sometimes, but i've found, that most times, we do regret it. if you don't know what is going to happen, then you can't prepare for it, so, if something bad DOES happen, we then wish we had prepared for it, and then we start having regrets. but if we totally planned everything out, there would literally nothing to regret.

but then, i guess i'm just being overly logical. cheesy

Lol, you must be boring as hell in real life. Sometimes the excitement comes from not knowing the outcome. Taking a gamble. Da thrill! Oooh *shivers* grin Imagine if we had all the answers in life, what would be the point of living then? It'd be all hum drum & oh so boring. I'd rather be dead.
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 06, 2015
PunkyVeer:

Lol, you must be boring as hell in real life. Sometimes the excitement comes from not knowing the outcome. Taking a gamble. Da thrill! Oooh *shivers* grin Imagine if we had all the answers in life, what would be the point of living then? It'd be all hum drum & oh so boring. I'd rather be dead.
taaah!
i think the excitement comes from not knowing which outcome. taking a gamble, yes, but knowing every possible outcome. just not which. grin
i agree that the world would be a little bit boring if we knew all the answers. all the exact answers, but knowing all the possible answers could make life a bit spicy. cool
and no, i'm not boring in real life. cheesy. i'm actually . . . the opposite of boring. shocked shocked

read this alleged discussion between albert einstein and one actress. one is, just like you, going with the flow . . . and the other is, a bit like me, thinking of every possible scenario. be honest. who killed it?

marilyn monroe: what if we had a child? he would have your brains and my looks!
Albert einstein: but what if he had my looks and your brains?
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
taaah!
i think the excitement comes from not knowing which outcome. taking a gamble, yes, but knowing every possible outcome. just not which. grin
i agree that the world would be a little bit boring if we knew all the answers. all the exact answers, but knowing all the possible answers could make life a bit spicy. cool
and no, i'm not boring in real life. cheesy. i'm actually . . . the opposite of boring. shocked shocked

read this alleged discussion between albert einstein and one actress. one is, just like you, going with the flow . . . and the other is, a bit like me, thinking of every possible scenario. be honest. who killed it?

Hahaha. Neither killed it imo. Let them just get on with it already. Have the child & find out. Thinking too much is as bad as not thinking at all.
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 06, 2015
Yea....follow ur heart bt take ur brain along
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 06, 2015
ShakurM:
The head and heart are on a scale is what this means but the heart outweighs the head. Don't get me wrong.

Following your heart isn't an everyday decision for most people, understand that, it simply means you act accordingly to your gut feelings and emotions, your feelings I repeat , do what feels right! rather than using the head, the head complicates issues most times !

The movie '3 Idiots' comes to mind, one wanted to be a wildlife photographer, sounds stupid in the head but he followed Engineering inclinations because his head is telling him, 'you would be a laughing stock', your parents won't like this, this n that , oh you know how it went for him for those of you who have watched the movie.

Follow your heart, save yourself the headache.

Here's a tip; when faced in a crossroad of usually two decisions, you can toss a coin in the air , one decision the head, one decision the tail, when it's in the air, you would know what side you really want.

Fucvk it! I will post this.
i actually posted this with that movie in mind. i kind of figured people were getting the wrong message from that scenario. the one who wanted to become a photographer never bothered to actually think of what would actually happen if he decided to go for that. he just decided to follow his heart . . . ironically. what he felt was right according to moral and social standards. he had this unbased fear about what would happen to him if he left for engineering.
this continued until he actually started to think about what he really wanted and the consequences. at first, he had to understand that photography was a low paying job but would make him happy. he had to think about what he would tell his parents. your heart can't do that. it just gives random feelings about things.

sometimes, when we are following our hearts, we think it's our heads we are following. but here is a rule of thumb. if you are following your head, at any given point in time, you will be able to fully explain what is happening to you and why. you will also have no regrets. because you have already planned everything out. with the heart, it's just a series of confusions. because you're following feelings based on hormonal releases.

successful people don't follow their hearts. they think about what they are going to do and then go and do it.
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 06, 2015
PunkyVeer:

Hahaha. Neither killed it imo. Let them just get on with it already. Have the child & find out. Thinking too much is as bad as not thinking at all.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by hahn(m): 9:31am On Oct 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
cheesy cheesy

Actually, following your "heart" or instinct is necessary for decision making and can be applied after you have a well thought out plan. It has nothing to do with believing in luck.

You should read "Good to great" by Jim Collins
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 06, 2015
It makes sense to me to follow your heart, out of it comes desires the brain takes over by logically getting you the desires of your heart in the process of bringing your heart desires home the brain processes the challenges, how it can be done, if it will destroy you or make you more they kind of work together.

I think living on logic alone reduces your humanity we are not one dimensional beings ignoring the heart is what might make you animal or robotic and that guy from Borno might actually know in his heart that there is more to life than what is in front of him if he ignores his heart and chooses to stick to the "logic" of what is he might miss out on knowing and even creating the next level of nanotechnology.

The heart is more than a pumping machine, it's also a creative machine it gives passion to purpose I think the heart and the brain are different levels of creating life like the heart gives the brain the ideas, the pictures the brain gets the job done.

I don't think the heart stops working when you need it most maybe its covered in dross or there is a disconnect and you can't even hear it could also be you are thinking like you are doing now so you don't even bother to listen to it. So what failed you could be information stored in your body and mind which could be false, information stored in your system from childhood, from socializing and unfortunate experiences or any other place.
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by ShakurM(m): 9:46am On Oct 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
i actually posted this with that movie in mind. i kind of figured people were getting the wrong message from that scenario. the one who wanted to become a photographer never bothered to actually think of what would actually happen if he decided to go for that. he just decided to follow his heart . . . ironically. what he felt was right according to moral and social standards. he had this unbased fear about what would happen to him if he left for engineering.
this continued until he actually started to think about what he really wanted and the consequences. at first, he had to understand that photography was a low paying job but would make him happy. he had to think about what he would tell his parents. your heart can't do that. it just gives random feelings about things.

sometimes, when we are following our hearts, we think it's our heads we are following. but here is a rule of thumb. if you are following your head, at any given point in time, you will be able to fully explain what is happening to you and why. you will also have no regrets. because you have already planned everything out. with the heart, it's just a series of confusions. because you're following feelings based on hormonal releases.

successful people don't follow their hearts. they think about what they are going to do and then go and do it.
I would love to have a debate on this. In response to your post, the sentence 'follow your heart' is subjective . Following my heart means happiness to me in chasing my dreams, being passionate basically not an excuse to laze around in a worthless endeavour to some.

Find what you love and follow your heart in simple terms. A dead fish follows the tides of the ocean.

There's a reason in reasoning our body, mind and soul.

Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by AbuMikey(m): 10:19am On Oct 06, 2015
Use Your Head and follow Your instinct! undecided
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by Eklectica: 5:34am On Dec 27, 2015
That view is to me narrow-minded,am new in dis forum,so i stand 2 be corrected.as far as i understand the human psyche,its behaviour and consistent interaction with reality is influenced by 4 principal elements;intuition,feeling,sensation& thinking, dis 4 are some how mangled in composition dat 1 is hardly without d subtle influence of d other, am saying dat ur decision being solely logical as u think is but an illusion.many great thinkers have fallen 4 dis illusion, socrates,max planck.i can explain if u insist.
Re: Does "Following Your Heart'' Really Make Sense? by cruzita(f): 6:09am On Dec 27, 2015
grin in this present era we don't follow our heart,we follow our nyansh

(1) (Reply)

She Dont Agree To Us Having Sex She Said I Will Die If She Open Up / While You Are Waiting For 2016 (pic) / She Asked For A Christmas Gift But I Gave Her A Kiss Instead - Right Or Wrong??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.